Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Finger Prince posted:

I think you get that with a lot of cachet having cars. Imagine owning a Porsche 911 just because it's a nice car, and having to deal with the whole branded merch crowd.

I have a miata baseball cap :ohdear: in my defense I really need it not to get sunburned though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

McPhearson posted:

Chevy Bolt recall v2. looks like they are actually replacing battery modules this time around, though.

I keep seeing news articles about this dude who's underwater in debt for a burned up bolt. That sucks.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

I think you get that with a lot of cachet having cars. Imagine owning a Porsche 911 just because it's a nice car, and having to deal with the whole branded merch crowd.

When we bought the Model S, I managed to talk a showroom dude in a mall into giving us a jacket, which we then immediately mailed to my sister-in-law who owned a Leaf.

We'd seen dudes getting out of their cars with that jacket and it was just so cringey, so we thought it'd be funny for her to do the same thing getting out of a Leaf.

She probably gave it to the goodwill, though.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Saw a silver Mach-E while riding my bike earlier. The driver thought I was staring her down instead of her car and made a gesture.

Good lookin' car, tho.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

A global comparison of the life-cycle greenhouse gas emissions of combustion engine and electric passenger cars

quote:

This wide-ranging life-cycle assessment (LCA) examines the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions of passenger cars, including SUVs. Performed separately and in depth for Europe, the United States, China, and India, the analysis captures the differences among those markets, which are home to about 70% of global new passenger car sales. It considers present and projected future GHG emissions attributable to every stage in the life cycles of both vehicles and fuels, from extracting and processing raw materials through refining and manufacture to operation and eventual recycling or disposal.

Results show that even for cars registered today, battery electric vehicles (BEVs) have by far the lowest life-cycle GHG emissions. As illustrated in the figure below, emissions over the lifetime of average medium-size BEVs registered today are already lower than comparable gasoline cars by 66%–69% in Europe, 60%–68% in the United States, 37%–45% in China, and 19%–34% in India. Additionally, as the electricity mix continues to decarbonize, the life-cycle emissions gap between BEVs and gasoline vehicles increases substantially when considering medium-size cars projected to be registered in 2030.

There are interesting bullet points in the fact sheet (PDF) as well:

• Life-cycle emissions of FCEVs are only about 26%–40% less than for average new gasoline vehicles registered in 2021 in the respective regions, if they are powered by hydrogen produced through reforming methane from natural gas (“grey hydrogen”). Utilizing hydrogen produced from renewable electricity (“green hydrogen”), instead, would result in 76%–80% lower life-cycle GHG emissions for FCEVs. Renewable energy powered FCEVs show slightly higher life-cycle emissions than BEVs powered by the same renewable electricity, though; this is because the electricity-based FCEV pathway is approximately three times as energy intensive as the BEV pathway, and as such, emissions from the construction of additional renewable electricity installations were taken into account.
  • Average gasoline and diesel cars correspond to very similar, and relatively high, lifecycle GHG emissions levels. HEVs are found to reduce life-cycle GHG emissions by only about 20% compared to conventional gasoline cars. The GHG emissions of compressed natural gas (CNG) cars can even exceed those of gasoline and diesel cars.
  • The life-cycle GHG emissions of medium-size PHEVs registered today are 42%–46% lower than gasoline cars in the United States, only 25%–27% lower in Europe, and 6%–12% lower in China.

Edit: The white paper's conclusions are similar to previous results from the Union of Concerned Scientists.

MrPablo fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 24, 2021

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

MrPablo posted:

• The life-cycle GHG emissions of medium-size PHEVs registered today are 42%–46% lower than gasoline cars in the United States, only 25%–27% lower in Europe, and 6%–12% lower in China.

This is interesting thanks for posting. This bullet was interesting. Digging into this the report says:

"Compared to Europe and China (below), the relative GHG emissions benefit of PHEVs is
higher in the United States. Two factors account for this. One, average gasoline vehicles
in the United States have high fuel consumption and thus high GHG emissions. Two, the
average real-world electric drive share of PHEVs in the United States is higher than in
Germany or China (Plötz et al., 2020)."

Seems like it because us cars are high consumption. Overall though this seems to point to going to bev as fast as possible.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Bone Crimes posted:

This is interesting thanks for posting.

You're welcome.

Bone Crimes posted:

This bullet was interesting. Digging into this the report says:

"Compared to Europe and China (below), the relative GHG emissions benefit of PHEVs is
higher in the United States. Two factors account for this. One, average gasoline vehicles
in the United States have high fuel consumption and thus high GHG emissions. Two, the
average real-world electric drive share of PHEVs in the United States is higher than in
Germany or China (Plötz et al., 2020)."

Seems like it because us cars are high consumption. Overall though this seems to point to going to bev as fast as possible.

Agreed and agreed.

I'm only about a quarter of the way through the full paper, but they explain their methodology, the details for each region, and how the factors for each region are calculated. They also look at the 20-year global warming potential (GWP) versus the 100-year GWP, the effect of different greenhouse gasses (carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide).

The paper explicitly says that it does not consider EV battery and fuel cell equipment reuse (because of uncertainty regarding future battery and fuel cell equipment recycling programs), which means the benefit from BEVs and FCEVs are potentially higher than the paper's conclusions.

Regarding PHEVs, this is from page 8 of the full paper:

quote:

For PHEVs, the fuel and electricity consumption depends on how much driving occurs in predominantly electric charge-depleting (CD) mode and how much is done in the purely combustion engine charge-sustaining (CS) mode. Note that in CD mode, the electric motor is supported by the combustion engine; in reality, this is better described as a mixed electric and combustion engine mode than a purely electric drive mode. In official test values, the fuel and electricity consumption in the CD and the CS drive modes are weighted, either by an assumed CD mode range-dependent share, as in the Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP), or by an assumed all-electric range dependent share, as in the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC). Such all-electric range is determined as the part of the CD mode range in which the combustion engine is not running (Riemersma & Mock, 2017). In any case, WLTP and NEDC test values generally assume that on each driving day, PHEVs are started with a fully charged battery and driven in CD mode as long as the battery allows. However, studies have found that average PHEV users charge their cars less frequently than once per driving day. When taken together with the lower electric range and higher fuel consumption in CS mode, the average real-world fuel consumption of individual PHEV models is found to be two to four times higher than indicated by NEDC or WLTP test values (Plötz et al., 2020).

This deviation in PHEV usage is found to vary largely between private and company car users, and between the investigated European countries, the United States, and China. (PHEVs are hardly registered at all in India.) Fuel consumption also varies significantly between individual PHEV models, and user-reported fuel consumption values are only available for a limited number of PHEV models. Therefore, the realworld drive share and fuel consumption values cannot be assessed on a fleet level, and the real-world, drive-share-weighted electricity consumption can only be estimated for individual PHEV models. As such, this study assesses the real-world fuel and electricity consumption values of PHEVs in the respective segments in Europe, the United States, and China with average user-reported data of representative models.

Edit: Pages 18 and 19 of the full paper has a section with details about PHEVs in the EU. They probably have information on the other regions as well, but I haven't gotten to that yet.

MrPablo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 24, 2021

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Does anyone know if it'll be possible to install the hitch receiver onto a RWD ID.4 Pro S at some point? That's basically the only reason I was considering the 1st Edition, and it sure seems like the 1st Ed is just some accessories slapped onto a Pro S, but it's difficult to find anything about it online.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Does anyone know if it'll be possible to install the hitch receiver onto a RWD ID.4 Pro S at some point? That's basically the only reason I was considering the 1st Edition, and it sure seems like the 1st Ed is just some accessories slapped onto a Pro S, but it's difficult to find anything about it online.

I guess this varies between regions, annoyingly. In Norway there is no ID.4 Pro S, but one called Pro Performance. It has the swinging hitch as an option.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Pham Nuwen posted:

I would think so but If it's anything like my etron it's a freakin nightmare. OEM hitch install is like an 8 hour operation with 600+ steps.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Shamino posted:

I would think so but If it's anything like my etron it's a freakin nightmare. OEM hitch install is like an 8 hour operation with 600+ steps.

Wouldn’t be an Audi if you didn’t have to take the whole front end off to do anything to it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Today I had test drives scheduled for the Polestar 2 and the Kia Niro EV. A few days ago I test drove a Tesla Model 3, which I was really happy with; that's a great car that I would love owning.

The Polestar 2 is loving nice. The experience started with a good impression, you just give Polestar an address and they drive a car out to you. Every single thing about the car felt itself felt great, but especially the air conditioned seats blowing cold air straight up my rear end on demand. I didn't know that this was a feature that I wanted until now. After 30 minutes of street driving with maxed out AC and butthole ventilation the battery indicator barely decreased at all, so I feel pretty comfortable with the range. Handling felt great, car was a joy to drive. I also like that it has some actual physical interfaces for things like the stereo volume, and the map display behind the steering wheel is extremely good; I am fine with a lot of control being in the digital display but I do think this is a little better than what the model 3 does, where almost everything is in the infotainment screen. That's minor stuff, ultimately they're both great and it seems like the Polestar 2 is a better experience for a little less range than the performance model 3, and at a slightly lower price, so I'm definitely leaning towards the Polestar

When I got to the Kia dealership they said that they didn't have any Niro EVs on the lot, so I couldn't do the sole thing that I came to do. It's not like I'm a walk in, I booked an appointment online to test drive the Niro EV specifically, and someone called me yesterday to confirm that that's the specific car that I wanted to test drive. We drove around in a standard Niro for awhile, it was fine. I don't really want a hybrid so I guess I'm not buying the Niro EV since Kia seems to not want to let me drive one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Dealerships need to die

Edit: just to be clear, I mean the dealership model, not talking about literally

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Am I missing a reason why both of my EA charges were free this morning? I thought it was a fluke on the first one but this one is too

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Am I missing a reason why both of my EA charges were free this morning? I thought it was a fluke on the first one but this one is too

I think if they lose their comms connection back to the mothership, they go into free vend mode. At least this is how some other charger networks handle it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

stevewm posted:

I think if they lose their comms connection back to the mothership, they go into free vend mode. At least this is how some other charger networks handle it.

So I'm lucky then? This has been two sites in two states

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So I'm lucky then? This has been two sites in two states

Possibly... maybe there was some sort of backend problem with their system. Who knows. Just speculation.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

stevewm posted:

It’s this. I used to work for the company that provided their ocpp servers and it is a janky pile of garbage.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Someone I know got charged for their session last week, from April. So I guess they have some sort of internal bookkeeping.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

It’s this. I used to work for the company that provided their ocpp servers and it is a janky pile of garbage.

This describes basically every software system anywhere, unfortunately.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Westy543 posted:

Someone I know got charged for their session last week, from April. So I guess they have some sort of internal bookkeeping.

I mean it didn't ask for anything, no card, no account. I literally plugged in and waited

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I mean it didn't ask for anything, no card, no account. I literally plugged in and waited

drat, that's wild lol. But pretty nice!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cruft posted:

This describes basically every software system anywhere, unfortunately.

800k LOC of Java code with 60% duplicated lines farmed to the cheapest (and I mean cheapest) junior devs in India with no liaison between America and India to make up the time difference. :v:

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Does anyone have a good source for VW news? I've been seeing some poorly sourced news articles on the ID Buzz- that for the US it will be 6 passenger, but with the 2 rear seats pointing backwards, and that it will be 2024 for US release. Kinda ambiguous if that is CY 2023 with a 2024 model year van, or really coming in 2024. But they seem to be more puff pieces that I don't really trust...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bone Crimes posted:

Does anyone have a good source for VW news? I've been seeing some poorly sourced news articles on the ID Buzz- that for the US it will be 6 passenger, but with the 2 rear seats pointing backwards, and that it will be 2024 for US release. Kinda ambiguous if that is CY 2023 with a 2024 model year van, or really coming in 2024. But they seem to be more puff pieces that I don't really trust...

I would probably not believe anything that doesn't come from VWoA or a dealer insider.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

DoomTrainPhD posted:

800k LOC of Java code with 60% duplicated lines farmed to the cheapest (and I mean cheapest) junior devs in India with no liaison between America and India to make up the time difference. :v:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Okay look, you have to understand that when these sorts of decisions are made, the people paying for things have to balance getting pretty bad software, against getting an absolute nightmare in half the time and then 20x the maintenance costs until the end of time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Probably just a pre production vehicle that hasn't done any typical driving but...

F-150 Lightning’s Estimated Driving Range Shows Incredible 472 Miles

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm sure that's city miles in the summer which is still nice. I'll be glad if it can do 300 miles on the freeway in the winter, and I kind of feel like that's what they're gunning for.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Like I keep saying: Detroit engineers all have a cottage on a lake somewhere in the lower peninsula, and they drat well expect to be able to get there without stopping on a Friday after work. And if a car can't make that range, they aren't going to sell it

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They also did all the mileage figures with 1000 lbs payload

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm sure that's city miles in the summer which is still nice. I'll be glad if it can do 300 miles on the freeway in the winter, and I kind of feel like that's what they're gunning for.
I can understand if they are saying 300 miles while towing because they want it to be a full replacement for current F 150 owners.

Speleothing posted:

Like I keep saying: Detroit engineers all have a cottage on a lake somewhere in the lower peninsula, and they drat well expect to be able to get there without stopping on a Friday after work. And if a car can't make that range, they aren't going to sell it
Yeah, and how many of them are pulling a boat with them? That's why they might be sandbagging the numbers a little.

So I'm excited because it means the tech is getting better and better, just like how I magically got 40 more miles range a month ago. Better range is better, and can move more people to driving electric.

I was out and about today and talked with someone who had a Chevy Volt and they also liked the fun electric drive.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Did I mention that the Pom.xml is always and forever at 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT?

Also:
- Monolithic
- Releases aren’t tagged
- No commit hash saved

Edit:
The database is a MySQL DB with over 5,000 columns and a single table. This DB has a migrate.sh script that doesn’t work (at least when I left a year and a half ago) so instead of fixing the script they keep adding new columns to the database.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 27, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

some of this should not be on a public forum. stuff like that has gotten multiple threads gassed in yospos

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

some of this should not be on a public forum. stuff like that has gotten multiple threads gassed in yospos

Yeah I toned it down a bit. Good idea.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

On my way home, I'm 4 for 4 on free EA chargers wtf

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Speaking of chargers; electrek compiled some info on how the supercharger network is opening. https://electrek.co/2021/07/26/elon-musk-explains-tesla-open-supercharger-network/

Tldr you make a Tesla account, and have to input the stall in the app to initiate a charge. If you are in a market where CCS isn't the standard Tesla uses (North America), you'll have to buy an adapter as well. Other potential changes to pricing coming too.

I wonder how / if they plan to price these to avoid slow charging cars from clogging up the network?

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 27, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So just out of curiosity while I wait for my Y I hopped on autotrader to check out what's out there for used Y's.

Uhh, the used car market is even more insane than I thought.

2020 Y's with 5-15k miles with less options are selling for more than what I'm paying for a new Y. What in the world.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Yeah the used market is crazy I looked into selling my leaf for more than I paid but I gotta keep it for 3 years or fork over the 5k I got from charge up NJ. Come onnnn delta variant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

Yeah the used market is crazy I looked into selling my leaf for more than I paid but I gotta keep it for 3 years or fork over the 5k I got from charge up NJ. Come onnnn delta variant!

I thought I'd be slick and maybe pick up a slightly used 2020/2021 for a little less than my new one since my build date keeps getting pushed out, but gently caress that noise. Time to put my patient hat on as my wife would say I guess and just wait. Apparently my car will already be worth 5k more than what I'm paying for it? lol