Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Development probably started when the show was at its peak.

The game came out in 2001, a few years after the show was cancelled. I'm guessing that someone just rushed something out before the license expired. I have a GBA Everdrive, I should see if it's any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dawgstar posted:

Are the IDW comics any good?

Yeah, they're a lot of fun, they mix together bits from the movies, RGB, EGB, and do their own thing with it.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Are the IDW comics any good?

For sure. The first several volumes are good - Right up until they start doing crossovers with other IDW properties and then YMMV. But I liked the Year One arc they did afterwards. It has some nice touches, like the reveal that Venkmen gots his doctorate in parapsychology because there are so few experts that no one could call him out on his bullshit.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

What's hilarious about the crossovers is Ghostbusters treats them as 100% canon to the series. Their Interdimensional portal thing they got from the Ninja Turtles.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

text me a vag pic posted:

It has some nice touches, like the reveal that Venkmen gots his doctorate in parapsychology because there are so few experts that no one could call him out on his bullshit.

That made me genuinely laugh out loud. Sold.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New trailer dropping tomorrow! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The_Doctor posted:

New trailer dropping tomorrow! :toot:

Wait, what? Seriously?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/ghostbusters/status/1419688964022231045

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well I'm excited to be a part of this! Let's do it!

Also, Randy Edelman's GB2 score can be previewed here.

I never found anything wrong with it, other than it's not Bernstein's. :shrug:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's an acceptable score, there's some good stuff in it, but, like the film itself falls pretty short of the first. II's score feels of its time and broadly super-heroic whereas the score for the first film has a timeless quality, and feels quite iconic and unique with it's jazz/theremin and big biblical menace.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:siren: NEW TRAILER!! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR-WxNVLZhQ

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Honestly looks great.
Love the remote controlled trap and the retro effects in the "I believe it's magic"-like sequence.
This trailer clears up a few nagging questions as well.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah alright I love it I’m in.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
oh boy, it's Gozer and the terror dogs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sockser posted:

Yeah alright I love it I’m in.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
BUSTIN BUSTIN BUSTIN BUSTIN BUSTIN

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yall don't know how happy that trailer makes me.

xezton posted:

Love the remote controlled trap and the retro effects in the "I believe it's magic"-like sequence.

Yeah they are nailing the aesthetic

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Oh hey there Jeanine.

e: I love Coffee Miner Ghost.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm really intrigued by the Gozer temple stuff. Considering Gozer could take any form, the big statue being the woman with the flat top makes me feel like it's not as old as it looks.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

I'm really intrigued by the Gozer temple stuff. Considering Gozer could take any form, the big statue being the woman with the flat top makes me feel like it's not as old as it looks.

I'm betting on the filmmakers not remembering or considering that fact

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Another Stay Puft ad:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
very confused why ghostbusters is suddenly a speilberg movie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Also, ha, even the window neon is the same.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It leans heavy on nostalgia and definitely has a different tone, but that's fine to me. My expectation at this point is a fun adventure movie set in the Ghostbusters universe.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am kinda torn, trailer makes it look good and i am trying not to cling to the past.

The good:

1) I like the aesthetic of barely working and thrown together technology and the cross into I played with these toys as a child.
2) The cinematography looks good.

The neutral:
1) I am not sure about the rural setting. But then again, The Real Ghosbusters worked in any setting, so this shouldn't be an issue. It's a nice change to the formula.

The concerning:
1) Gozer the II? Can we try having a new bad guy?
2) Getting JJ trek vibes from some of the shots and that isn't great.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Glad to see that the Terror Dog is still clumsy, miss the red eyes though, it was a big wide shot so maybe it still has them up close.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I enjoy the related videos on YouTube:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hah, of course Adam Savage.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I believe this is a relatively modern Gozer worshipping uh... "center"?

And the top recommended video implies a current conspiracy theory about "Shandorians".

So I'm guessing you're correct.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Gozer thing and location thing make sense in terms of why did Egon move there.

I'm glad we see the kid fixing up the Ecto 1 before driving it now as people were complaining about him calling it darlin in the other trailer.

The reveal at the end, goosebumps and a tear in the eye. I like the fact there looked to be at least one practical effect rather than all CGI. God I need one of those fancy artisan built proton packs this Halloween.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Gozerian/Shandorian thing makes sense in universe. The only provable god with evidence is Gozer.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I'm kind of fine with going back to Gozer. I understand the desire for a new villain, but honestly finding out there is an ancient malevolent god who is happy to destroy humanity seems like a big deal and wouldn't just be tucked away with a "well I'm glad we never have to deal with that again!"

The guy who designed and built the NYC being the leader of a cult of worshippers (or just the most wealthy and able to execute a plan) but there being satellite branches of the cult around the world is a fun idea. I feel like it plays off of something modern (Scientology? or something...) but I can't put my finger on it. (Modern christianity with Rome and local podunk churches hurrrr).

Edit:

The_Doctor posted:

The Gozerian/Shandorian thing makes sense in universe. The only provable god with evidence is Gozer.

Yeah.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTv40aQYdM

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm fine with the use of Gozer, it's been over 30 years and the only Return of Gozer story we've really had was that video game. Sure it's fanservice but Gozer is also a really cool concept and hasn't been overused up to this point. It's not like Blofeld in the James Bond series where we've had like ten different Blofeld movies.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I wanted to believe but let’s face it there’s actually no way in hell this is gonna be good. I don’t have a hat but if I’m wrong I’ll eat some item of clothing.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Which only further confounds the notion that the Ghostbusters have been largely forgotten.

"Oh, you mean 15 years before I was born, gods were proven to be real? Get a life, grandpa! we want to do tiktok dances"

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

There's lots of room to expand with Gozer too, we don't actually learn a lot about them in the original film, if they have a motivation beyond pure destruction, what their relationship to ancient humanity is etc.

Violator
May 15, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

Which only further confounds the notion that the Ghostbusters have been largely forgotten.

"Oh, you mean 15 years before I was born, gods were proven to be real? Get a life, grandpa! we want to do tiktok dances"

Well weren't the Ghostbusters "proven" to be frauds?

Edit: Feel like I'm opening a can of worms here.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

One Gozer aspect of note: This movie was intended to come out in 2020, which would have been the 100 year anniversary of Shandor's Gozer cult. I'm willing to bet that Sommerville is where they got the metal for Spook Central in NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ghostbusters 2 established that no matter what happens, the people in-universe don't necessarily believe in the supernatural and they think it's possible that the Ghostbusters are just frauds.

That's why they were sued by everyone, why the guys have to work birthday parties for ungrateful little yuppie larva after saving the world, and why Jason Reitman has a cameo to tell Ray, "My dad says you guys are full of crap and that's why you went out of business."

Yeah it's silly, but Ghostbusters is silly.