Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Ehud posted:

Ghostbusters 2 established that no matter what happens, the people in-universe don't necessarily believe in the supernatural and they think it's possible that the Ghostbusters are just frauds.

That's why they were sued by everyone, why the guys have to work birthday parties for ungrateful little yuppie larva after saving the world, and why Jason Reitman has a cameo to tell Ray, "My dad says you guys are full of crap and that's why you went out of business."

Yeah it's silly, but Ghostbusters is silly.

yeah but what a ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Violator posted:

Well weren't the Ghostbusters "proven" to be frauds?

Edit: Feel like I'm opening a can of worms here.

You're that little butthead from the birthday party.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The general public definitely ended up perceiving them as frauds. All most people ever knew was that there were some claims of ghosts running around, then the Ghostbusters went into a highrise building and blew the roof off the place causing millions of dollars in damage.

I guess it really depends on how many people saw the Stay Puft incident. Realistically it would've had to be thousands of people but from what's actually shown in the movie it doesn't seem like all that many people are around to witness it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

This is really neat. Ecto-1 has a Corvette engine in it.

text me a vag pic posted:

One Gozer aspect of note: This movie was intended to come out in 2020, which would have been the 100 year anniversary of Shandor's Gozer cult. I'm willing to bet that Sommerville is where they got the metal for Spook Central in NYC.

I bet you're right.

Violator fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 27, 2021

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Ghostbusters are consummate snowball artists. They use sensitive nerve gases to induce hallucinations. People think they're seeing ghosts, and they call these bozos, who conveniently show up to deal with the problem with a fake electronic light show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So with the way the ages of everyone works out, Egon’s daughter was probably born before the first film. Janine’s presence in the trailer makes me think he did marry her post GB2, so she might be 2nd wife?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They found the original VFX for the 'purple streak'/Magic sequence effects and scanned them in for Afterlife :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ehud posted:

The Ghostbusters are consummate snowball artists. They use sensitive nerve gases to induce hallucinations. People think they're seeing ghosts, and they call these bozos, who conveniently show up to deal with the problem with a fake electronic light show.

I thought he said "incense nerve gasses"?

I mean, it's a minor detsil, but we've all memorized every scene, so why not discuss this :shobon:

Also fuuuuuuuuuuck yes, I enjoy that trailer.

It's also possible, regarding the god stuff, that while the GBs know they fought a god, no one else learned about that or cared.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Basebf555 posted:

The general public definitely ended up perceiving them as frauds. All most people ever knew was that there were some claims of ghosts running around, then the Ghostbusters went into a highrise building and blew the roof off the place causing millions of dollars in damage.

I guess it really depends on how many people saw the Stay Puft incident. Realistically it would've had to be thousands of people but from what's actually shown in the movie it doesn't seem like all that many people are around to witness it.

When Ghostbusters II came out, I wondered how countless people could see such an event, in a place as populous as NYC, and think it was all a scam/hoax.
... and then 9/11 happened ... and "truthers" happened.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Right. After the last year I have no problem believing that people think the Ghostbusters were frauds. Even people who had to clean marshmallow from the streets.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

So with the way the ages of everyone works out, Egon’s daughter was probably born before the first film. Janine’s presence in the trailer makes me think he did marry her post GB2, so she might be 2nd wife?

Not necessarily. If she's born in 1990(so the year after GB2) that would make her 31 for this movie, and she had her own kid when she was like 19 or 20. The actress looks a little bit older than 31 but it's no big deal.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought he said "incense nerve gasses"?

I mean, it's a minor detsil, but we've all memorized every scene, so why not discuss this :shobon:

Also fuuuuuuuuuuck yes, I enjoy that trailer.

It's also possible, regarding the god stuff, that while the GBs know they fought a god, no one else learned about that or cared.

I dunno. I googled the quote and used the first result :haw:

I just checked a couple different scripts and they say different things.

Here's the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-tYZkJ2p54

I hear:

"They use sense and nerve gasses to induce hallucinations."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“Do you remember the Zygon gambit with the Loch Ness monster? Or the yetis in the Underground? Your species has an amazing ability for self-deception.”

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Infinitum posted:

They found the original VFX for the 'purple streak'/Magic sequence effects and scanned them in for Afterlife :allears:

No matter if this movie is great, good, just OK or bad, I will always appreciate how much love Jason Reitman is giving to the source material in the little details.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Bustin' makes me feel good.

So does that trailer.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
There are potentially spoilerific Hasbro toy releases going viral now if that is your thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Doctor posted:

Hah, of course Adam Savage.

He's been dropping hints for several months about working on the film and at one point he mentioned that his dream film propmaking job would be creating the internal workings of a proton pack, looks like he got to tick that off his bucket list

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ehud posted:

I dunno. I googled the quote and used the first result :haw:

I just checked a couple different scripts and they say different things.

Here's the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-tYZkJ2p54

I hear:

"They use sense and nerve gasses to induce hallucinations."

Yeah, I hear that too, now.

Also, wrt the Gozer flat top look, it's possible that even though Gozer could choose any form, and did, maybe before becoming a God, it/he/she/they looked like Slavitza Jovan's look at the end of the first film?

Also, is she coming back?

Edit: just watched the in-depth look at the trailer. Really loved whatever the tattoo says on Ray's arm. I assume it's a quote from Revelations 7.12.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 27, 2021

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You're done now and its time to move you out
We don't care if you use to own this house
We don't care if you use to live here once
We don't care if this use to be your room

Violator posted:

This is really neat. Ecto-1 has a Corvette engine in it.

And they spent all day doing donuts in a wheat field with it :allears:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Infinitum posted:

As reference maybe - I don't think we actually used any elements from the original movie as-is. Reitman briefly considered trying to find the original footage of the cloud over New York to re-use, but the one in the trailer ended up being CG because it would've been too hard to find.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Am I misremembering things, or were those Ecto side door gunner seats in the Ghostbusters video game? I could swear I've seen them somewhere before.

Trailer looked great. Yeah there's nostalgia bait in there but guess what motherfuckers, I'm the guy who's nostalgic for the Ghostbusters (the greatest movie ever) so I don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, I hear that too, now.

Also, wrt the Gozer flat top look, it's possible that even though Gozer could choose any form, and did, maybe before becoming a God, it/he/she/they looked like Slavitza Jovan's look at the end of the first film?

Also, is she coming back?

Edit: just watched the in-depth look at the trailer. Really loved whatever the tattoo says on Ray's arm. I assume it's a quote from Revelations 7.12.

It's sensitive nerve gases. Jeez, y'all.

Also, that Revelation quote has always bothered me because the passage Ray references is from Revelation 6, not 7.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Am I misremembering things, or were those Ecto side door gunner seats in the Ghostbusters video game? I could swear I've seen them somewhere before.

The Real Ghostbusters toys and key art.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

https://twitter.com/johnyurcaba4/status/1409851379833655300

I adore that original RGB promo art so much, it’s been a favourite since I was a kid. It’s so goddamn evocative.
:allears:

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Looks like Hasbro just dropped some spoilers when announcing some new figures....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR1byFBNg5D/

It was pretty obvious it would happen but I'm not sure they meant to announce it like this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, it’s really weird. I guess Sony feel comfortable enough with their audience to let them work out that with Ray appearing in the trailer, the others will too.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
The trailer really captured my favorite part of Ghostbusters which is not having even a single joke.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

The trailer really captured my favorite part of Ghostbusters which is not having even a single joke.

I saw this comment on one of the various FB pages I follow, and I don't get it. There'll be jokes. Don't worry. I'd rather have the horror aspect there and have the levity over top of it, than have the opposite which was sadly how AtC was handled.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

Then you'll love Ghostbusters 2016!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I haven't seen it yet but supposedly there is a spoiler for the villain on the Clue box.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I haven't seen it yet but supposedly there is a spoiler for the villain on the Clue box.

It's Walter "Dickless" Peck!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

AndyElusive posted:

Then you'll love Ghostbusters 2016!

Actually I really do enjoy that thoroughly mediocre movie more than most people I know. I think it’s perfectly watchable, but also perfectly forgettable. I really feel like this is a franchise that works best when all that stuff is balanced and like Rupert just said 2016 went too far in the other direction.

All the pre release material for this one has just seemed so far up it’s own rear end that it really bums me out. It feels like an overcorrection. If anything the aforementioned IDW comics really felt like they struck the best balance most of the time between straight faced supernatural adventure and the funny people it was happening to,

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Perfectly believable that no one else saw what happened on the rooftop of the first movie, and enough plausible deniability about marshmallow man.

Much harder to write off the second movie where they literally made a gigantic steel and concrete (or whatever) statue walk from the harbor through downtown.

Very hyped though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You could always take the fact that Gozer seems to be returning as kind of a "ok, party timez over, gently caress you, humanity", which is why it looks so serious. I have no doubt there'll be humour in it, though. Maybe jokes just don't work best over a trailer, compared to hinting at horror. Once a joke is out, it's out.

Also, I think this whole scene might be my favourite from 2. This is such a "get hyped" song. Like, you want positivity, here you go, a monument-load of it, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjskzUlJOfc

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Also, I think this whole scene might be my favourite from 2. This is such a "get hyped" song. Like, you want positivity, here you go, a monument-load of it, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjskzUlJOfc

always loved this whole sequence but especially the climax where they rappel in with the triumphant music and everything

happy new year!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Carrie Coon was 39 during filming and Mckenna Grace was 13; assuming their characters are around the same age, Egon's daughter could've been born any time between the first two films. Feels to me like all three of the originals were out of luck and didn't have any major relationships prior to the first movie, maybe I'm just misremembering. Also the way Annie Potts says "your father" makes it sound like Carrie is her daughter but that probably doesn't fit.

Side note, Carrie Coon played Proxima Midnight in Infinity War. No relation to Ghostbusters, just had no idea.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If anyone wants to see Carrie Coon being absolutely fantastic, please watch The Leftovers.

It is a difficult watch, thematically and emotionally, but it's beautiful and amazing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

Actually I really do enjoy that thoroughly mediocre movie more than most people I know. I think it’s perfectly watchable, but also perfectly forgettable. I really feel like this is a franchise that works best when all that stuff is balanced and like Rupert just said 2016 went too far in the other direction.

the power of patty compels you

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ghostbusters 2016 was a unique experience for me, I've never had a movie slow time to a crawl like that. It must be something about the improv style of the comedy but I remember thinking "ok this thing is probably going into the home stretch here", and then I looked at the clock and it turned out I was only like a third of the way through it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

Which only further confounds the notion that the Ghostbusters have been largely forgotten.

"Oh, you mean 15 years before I was born, gods were proven to be real? Get a life, grandpa! we want to do tiktok dances"

Talk with people alive at the time who saw the first humans walk on the Moon's surface. Then look at what happened to the space program since then.

I haven't met a lot of kids who want to be astronauts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Narsham posted:

Talk with people alive at the time who saw the first humans walk on the Moon's surface. Then look at what happened to the space program since then.

I haven't met a lot of kids who want to be astronauts.

For a more recent example, ask a 20 year old American what they think about 9/11. It’s not a stretch to think that people forgot or don’t care that some New Yorkers fought a god a couple decades ago.