Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

it's good 4 u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

just noticed our current secstate is a proud graduate of The Dalton School. lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Fun fact (that maybe was in the CHAOS, but I don't remember it being in the book): A member of the Manson Family cult attempted to kill president Ford in Sacramento 1975. If you know anything about presidential history, you could call Ford the last president to attempt to reign in the CIA's power in any appreciable sense.

Fun fact part II: Three weeks later in SF, Sarah Jane Moore, member of "People in Need" (PIN) a food distribution organization started by Randolf Hearst after his Daughter, Patty Hearst was kidnapped by the SLA (The SLA being another CIA gladio fake revolutionary org) took a shot at Gerald Ford and missed. Needless to say, PIN was also awash in FBI informants, Moore being one of them.

If either of these plots had succeeded, we would have had a literal Rockefeller as president.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Spergin Morlock posted:

just noticed our current secstate is a proud graduate of The Dalton School. lmao

Blinken's time at the Dalton School overlaps with Donald Barr's tenure for ... some time - we know Barr was headmaster until 1974, and Blinken's bio says he was at Dalton until 1971, though we don't know when he entered the school.

as well, Blinken's stepfather, Samuel Pisar, was Robert Maxwell's lawyer

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Blinken's time at the Dalton School overlaps with Donald Barr's tenure for ... some time - we know Barr was headmaster until 1974, and Blinken's bio says he was at Dalton until 1971, though we don't know when he entered the school.

as well, Blinken's stepfather, Samuel Pisar, was Robert Maxwell's lawyer

When Joe Biden said nothing would change he loving meant it lol

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
holy gently caress, this book (Chaos) goes from 0 to 100 so fast lmao, one second you're listening to some barber ramble about his mentor and 2 small hops later you're hearing about Curtis Lemay trying to organize a coup against JFK so they could invade Cuba.

everyone was a gangster and a fed at the same time, and completely torched on drugs 24/7, when you look at all the domestic ops that went on to squash "subversives" and destroy the BPP, all these petty tyrant drug lords who ran all over the mojave doing gangster poo poo and never got arrested, it's easy to see how/why the murders took the angle that they did, the BPP raids, Hampton, MLK, crushing black organizing was the most important domestic policy that existed during the time

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
there’s so much of the Manson story ingrained as accepted narrative that is on its face ridiculous. it’s a great intro because “ well, where did a bunch of out of work hippies actually get all that acid” is a totally reasonable question that just sends you over Niagara in a barrel.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

smarxist posted:

checking this book out

giving this LP a listen

nut
Jul 30, 2019

here’s the tech future, where Potemkin AI validates handcrafted, bespoke racism

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1419661153278513157?s=21

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The precog crime poo poo happening in Chicago and Tampa is nuts as well. Based on BIG DATA analyzed by algorithms and AI, the police use COMPLETELY NEUTRAL TECHNOLOGY to identify "high risk re-offenders" and begin hounding the poo poo out of them until they commit a crime, get shot for being a snitch, or kill themselves lmao, it's sicko poo poo

https://projects.tampabay.com/projects/2020/investigations/police-pasco-sheriff-targeted/intelligence-led-policing/

https://www.theverge.com/22444020/chicago-pd-predictive-policing-heat-list

from the letter they send to targets of the program:

quote:

"You may wonder why you were enrolled in this program. You were selected as a result of an evaluation of your recent criminal behavior using an unbiased, evidence-based risk assessment designed to identify prolific offenders in our community. As a result of this designation, we will go to great efforts to encourage change in your life through enhanced support and increased accountability. If you refrain from criminal activity over the next two years, your Prolific Offender designation will be removed."

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

smarxist posted:

The precog crime poo poo happening in Chicago and Tampa is nuts as well. Based on BIG DATA analyzed by algorithms and AI, the police use COMPLETELY NEUTRAL TECHNOLOGY to identify "high risk re-offenders" and begin hounding the poo poo out of them until they commit a crime, get shot for being a snitch, or kill themselves lmao, it's sicko poo poo

https://projects.tampabay.com/projects/2020/investigations/police-pasco-sheriff-targeted/intelligence-led-policing/

https://www.theverge.com/22444020/chicago-pd-predictive-policing-heat-list

from the letter they send to targets of the program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWVRtA4MBXE

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can't find it now but there was an article yesterday about cops using their AI pre-crime algorithm with student test scores, assuming low-performing students are potential criminals

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can't find it now but there was an article yesterday about cops using their AI pre-crime algorithm with student test scores, assuming low-performing students are potential criminals

of course
https://projects.tampabay.com/projects/2020/investigations/police-pasco-sheriff-targeted/school-data/

and just to complete the bingo:

quote:

In Pasco, however, the initiative has expanded. Last summer, the Sheriff’s Office announced plans to begin keeping tabs on people who have been repeatedly committed to psychiatric hospitals.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crime on a Dime posted:

giving this LP a listen

waiting for my man (from langley)

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
🄿🅁🄾🄼🄸🅂

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

six passports

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
heroin (inside a GI's corpse)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

smarxist posted:

and just to complete the bingo:

lol gently caress that was Andrew Yang's position!

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
I'll Be Your Two-way Mirror

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
How spook-adjacent do you think the Velvet Underground were? I know a few of those 60s bands were spooked out to the gills (the entire Laurel Canyon set, or so argues David McGowan). Wasn't Jim Morrison's dad a really high ranking officer in the Air Force or something? We know about Manson's CIA connections and in turn his connections to Dennis Wilson and Terry Melcher etc. We know that the CIA funded a lot of modern art (e.g. Jackson Pollock and the abstract expressionists) and that Andy Warhol was the VU's manager, is it possible they were funding Warhol as well? Great band though

nut
Jul 30, 2019

multistability posted:

How spook-adjacent do you think the Velvet Underground were? I know a few of those 60s bands were spooked out to the gills (the entire Laurel Canyon set, or so argues David McGowan). Wasn't Jim Morrison's dad a really high ranking officer in the Air Force or something? We know about Manson's CIA connections and in turn his connections to Dennis Wilson and Terry Melcher etc. We know that the CIA funded a lot of modern art (e.g. Jackson Pollock and the abstract expressionists) and that Andy Warhol was the VU's manager, is it possible they were funding Warhol as well? Great band though

Morrison's dad was naval commander during Gulf of Tonkin

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

nut posted:

Lol. Lmao :psypop:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

nut posted:

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Maureen Tucker also ended up becoming some crazy Tea Party lady but that was probably standard leaded petrol boomer brain tbh

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

heroin (that we sold you)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Crime on a Dime posted:

giving this LP a listen

trueanon trained me to the first chords of Heroin get me in epstein-sekiro-brain

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

nut posted:

you completely got to be loving kidding me

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

trueanon trained me to the first chords of Heroin get me in epstein-sekiro-brain

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Jim Morrison's dad starting the Vietnam War is one of my all time favorite crack pings.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stephen_Morrison

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

*in lou voice* empty quoted a noob god drat it again

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I maintain that only a few dozen people actually exist and we are all npcs in their lives

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Who did Elsagate: the Yankees or the cowboys?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

George Morrison also ordered his forces to return fire on the Israelis during the USS Liberty incident before being overruled by one of the John McCains gently caress if I can be bothered to keep track of which

In short,

Excelzior posted:

I maintain that only a few dozen people actually exist and we are all npcs in their lives

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Also really gives the opening of Apocalypse Now a different read

nut
Jul 30, 2019

we really gotta organize a handful of the bigger crack pings that cycle in this thread as a intro guide

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

nut posted:

What in the absolute gently caress

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

multistability posted:

How spook-adjacent do you think the Velvet Underground were?

You have to seriously work to make the case of them being spook adjacent as they were an incredibly hard sell and most importantly, not a popular act. They were outsiders in the best underground sense of the word, as they also did reject hippiedom. John Cale would mindkill any spook with sheer musicological sperging and Lou Reed was just too drat nice and polite, the same can be said about Maureen (the drummer) too.

There's a bit of fuckery though: Nico. Ms. Päffgen had to be marshalled into Velvet Underground by Warhol's amazing capability to be insistent and annoying, who believed she had to be in the band at any cost, making Reed and Cale relent eventually because Warhol was helping them with securing some cashflow. She was a bad singer (and partially deaf to boot) and her German came on thick, and her own exaggerated bohemianism made Lou loving Reed think she was undisciplined and tell her to take it easier on the heroin. She came, record was done, and immediately got cartloaded to a solo career that was highly overproduced for a bad singer. So what's the big deal?

She was a goddamned aryan showcase-piece of a woman that was a goddamned savage of a racist and antisemite. She frequently joked about the jews - which made the calm and polite Reed become rightly pissed off because Reed was once Rabinowitz - and cursed people of color often. Danny Fields, the famous producer, called her "nazi-esque" a few times and it wasn't about her looks. During one social occasion in the Chelsea Hotel, Nico loving smashes a glass of wine on the table, yells "I hate black people" and one of the shards goes into the eye of a singer, a brown woman who worked with Hendrix, blood everywhere and one loving hell of a scene and

Warhol (and his crowd) manages to whisk that woman away to France overnight without a goddamned whisper about it.

The Paris Review posted:

On the other hand, we have ample proof of her racism. Indeed, Island Records dropped her after learning of racist comments. “I said to some interviewer that I didn’t like Negroes,” she said. “That’s all … I don’t like the features. They’re so much like animals.”

then there's her act on the 70s that was perhaps Brian Eno's lowest loving point imho that was collaborating with her on a production piece where she sang das lied der deutschen in all its verses right in the middle of Berlin and nothing loving happened to her, with a goddamn riot flared up as a large part of the audience wasn't going to stand for nazi poo poo. The woman had racism and antisemitism in her public record - somehow she didn't get the Nazi apologia hammer down on her rear end during a time where German authorities were far more strict to allow references to Nazism in artistic performance.

in a full CHAOS mood, I don't think she had any hands into anything, she was too hosed up to be competent at any sort of malice management - but if someone does research and tells me she was protected? hell yeah, I would buy that, some gladio-adjacent minor bullshit, who knows

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

I truly believe that the dumbass teen in 2004 who borrowed his mom's credit card to join this site was a moment of destiny that led me to this thread

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

You have to seriously work to make the case of them being spook adjacent as they were an incredibly hard sell and most importantly, not a popular act. They were outsiders in the best underground sense of the word, as they also did reject hippiedom. John Cale would mindkill any spook with sheer musicological sperging and Lou Reed was just too drat nice and polite, the same can be said about Maureen (the drummer) too.

There's a bit of fuckery though: Nico. Ms. Päffgen had to be marshalled into Velvet Underground by Warhol's amazing capability to be insistent and annoying, who believed she had to be in the band at any cost, making Reed and Cale relent eventually because Warhol was helping them with securing some cashflow. She was a bad singer (and partially deaf to boot) and her German came on thick, and her own exaggerated bohemianism made Lou loving Reed think she was undisciplined and tell her to take it easier on the heroin. She came, record was done, and immediately got cartloaded to a solo career that was highly overproduced for a bad singer. So what's the big deal?

She was a goddamned aryan showcase-piece of a woman that was a goddamned savage of a racist and antisemite. She frequently joked about the jews - which made the calm and polite Reed become rightly pissed off because Reed was once Rabinowitz - and cursed people of color often. Danny Fields, the famous producer, called her "nazi-esque" a few times and it wasn't about her looks. During one social occasion in the Chelsea Hotel, Nico loving smashes a glass of wine on the table, yells "I hate black people" and one of the shards goes into the eye of a singer, a brown woman who worked with Hendrix, blood everywhere and one loving hell of a scene and

Warhol (and his crowd) manages to whisk that woman away to France overnight without a goddamned whisper about it.

then there's her act on the 70s that was perhaps Brian Eno's lowest loving point imho that was collaborating with her on a production piece where she sang das lied der deutschen in all its verses right in the middle of Berlin and nothing loving happened to her, with a goddamn riot flared up as a large part of the audience wasn't going to stand for nazi poo poo. The woman had racism and antisemitism in her public record - somehow she didn't get the Nazi apologia hammer down on her rear end during a time where German authorities were far more strict to allow references to Nazism in artistic performance.

in a full CHAOS mood, I don't think she had any hands into anything, she was too hosed up to be competent at any sort of malice management - but if someone does research and tells me she was protected? hell yeah, I would buy that, some gladio-adjacent minor bullshit, who knows

Great, great post. Lots to think about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I actually know very little to Gulf of Tonkin besides the lyrics from Martin Noakes "Building 7" song. I tried to read a write up on it and my eyes started glazing over. any recommendations for reading or summaries would be appreciated