Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Suikoden, at least in the PSX games, has Vancian casting. It's not exactly the same as FF or D&D (you only have 4 levels of spell slots and more powerful runes can have better spells at lower levels than weaker ones), but it's similar enough.

You could also try playing some straight up D&D games; the more faithful turn based or RTWP games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, and Pathfinder Kingmaker all use Vancian casting. Most ARPG or MMO conversions won't, though.

Yeah people keep suggesting Suikoden to me every time I bring this up but then I forget... In spite of how Suikoden II has that crazy cult classic following of a Xenogears. I should probably play it.

As for the rest, I tried Kingmaker but god it was boring. I might try the sequel.

And I'm a BW fan and everybody stans Baldur's Gate II as their best game ever so I should try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

there's a scene in charlie's angels where two kids are pretending to play FFVIII co-op while drew barrymore is standing at their window naked

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Help Im Alive posted:

there's a scene in charlie's angels where two kids are pretending to play FFVIII co-op while drew barrymore is standing at their window naked

I was watching the French live action show “Lupin” and I’m pretty sure they showed 2 characters playing co-op…Horizon Zero Dawn. Lol.

Kale
May 14, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the interview with FF4's director said they were rebalancing that game (to make it easier? I hope not, it's not a hard game in 2021)

The grinding for Zeromus could probably stand to be lessened somewhat. IMO it's kind of dumb, it's all basically to be able to survive Big Bang really much like the Cloud of Darkness Fight in FFIII boiled down to being able to keep up with the damage from it spamming flare wave over and over and over and over and over. I'm glad final FF final bosses got a little more varied in their attack patterns with V onward because before that, at least with the NES versions of the games, it was basically it just uses this one powerful attack constantly (CoD, Zeromus) or does something completely random that either sucks big time (full cure or Nuke/Flare from Chaos, physical attacks from Emperor that one shot characters) or does practically nothing to you and might as well be a free turn (random status spell or low level magic spell that doesn't work due to bad coding or spell that does poo poo all damage due to the weird nature of how the game handles spell levels) with no real in-between.

Some might argue some FF Final battles are a little too scripted these days though I suppose which sometimes is a fair argument. Yu Yevon and Orphan come to mind, but like I don't know they're lead into by fairly legit fights that don't boil down to total randomness or attack spam.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought LR was a game where the world ends in three days or something like that

FFXIII series is weird in that the games seem to get substantially better in structure and what they allow the player to do with each successive game and LR is actually fairly unique as far as JRPG's go. FFXIII-2 might be about the easiest game in the entire FF series though not counting spinoffs like Mystic Quest and World though. LR also kind of somehow manages to take Lightning to even more parody levels of just the absolute coolest unflappable center of the universe Jesus messiah waifu character though, which gets pretty funny for me personally but I know annoyed some people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQkZjd7ouko

This is probably my overall favorite scene in the game because it's like just screaming in the players face, "look at this poo poo, look at how cool this character is making her big grandiose speech and striking poses while blowing up the stage and having everybody run for cover in terror of being crushed by falling debris as they cheer her on anyway. Could anyone do any less?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NdrXbXRdwg

Other scenes like this I'd also swear the game is pretty self aware of it's own worship of it's main character and poking a little fun at itself.

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 27, 2021

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I thought the final boss of 13 was one of the most fun fights in the whole series

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The final boss of 13 had an instant death ability in its regular moveset in a game that

- had gameover on mc death
- had no way to be fully immune to instant death

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Qy_jTK74M

Also this is how the game opens too just in case you needed to be reminded early that Lightning is in fact "the coolest there is". I couldn't with the shades and the flash of red lightning w/ pose when first playing the game. It's her "Nothing personal kid" voice acting in English that also pushes just about any scene in the game over the top. :lol:

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 27, 2021

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tonfa posted:

The final boss of 13 had an instant death ability in its regular moveset in a game that

- had gameover on mc death
- had no way to be fully immune to instant death

Yeah that's what takes it off the list for me, too and I'm generally very warm on 13 as a whole. Just frustrating to have it pop off and Game Over you with no recourse.

Kale posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Qy_jTK74M

Also this is how the game opens too just in case you needed to be reminded early that Lightning is in fact "the coolest there is". I couldn't with the shades and the flash of red lightning w/ pose when first playing the game. :lol:

Lightning is unironically super cool and I love her.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It never really comes up in XIII unless you look at a clock but its world operates on a 26 hour clock. In LR, it looks like that maybe the developers forgot this since time is an important mechanic and it's a 24 hour clock there. But lo, you can squeeze an extra day of game time by doing a quest that 'finds' the missing 2 hours of the world's last 13 days. I always that that was really rad.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Being able to have your final boss fight end at the last second based on a dice roll is total bullshit. But I think if you use Veil at all you have good enough chances to avoid it, especially if you have enough DPS to just end the fight quickly. Throw a death resist item in addition to Veil and you should be pretty well set unless the random numbers especially hate you.

There's a ton of hearsay about what did or didn't trigger the death to hit or how it targeted but I think the summary of what really mattered is Veil kept you safe enough unless your DPS was really lacking.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I'm also glad they listened to feedback about FFXIII though for the 2 sequels because it really is the one game in the series where there is legit NOTHING else to do but just keep moving forward in the story and then like finally in the last 25% or so of the game things really do open up and you see the potential of it's combat system that was there all along, just weirdly locked behind caps they put on them based on whatever chapter you are on. It's the main reason I actually ended up putting the game on hold for like 5 years and only came back to and finished that whole trilogy some time in 2018-2019. It really is true though like once you get to Pulse in XIII the whole FFXIII trilogy is never quite the same again in a good way from that point on.

IMO it and mobile game RPG's on rails are a great example of why RPG's need exploration, NPC's and questing and just alternatives to following the main quest to really realize their potential and putting caps on what you go do with building characters till super late into the game just isn't very fun at all.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1420006305482346530

I don't know how to embed twitter - so here's the remixed FF1 music

It's pretty good.

e- oh drat it embeds itself. nice

for reference

the original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPF3AwVPM4

The PSP version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgDBa_eLlW0

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Okay yeah that’s really good

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Didn't they say the rearrangements were being done by Uematsu personally? I'd expect no loving around on them

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that's a really good arrangement of the battle theme.

I still can't decide if the font is a dealbreaker or not. I've been wanting to replay FF1 for a while now and being able to just buy an updated version (with the spell charge system intact) on my phone is really attractive, but god drat what a bad font choice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

I still can't decide if the font is a dealbreaker or not. I've been wanting to replay FF1 for a while now and being able to just buy an updated version (with the spell charge system intact) on my phone is really attractive, but god drat what a bad font choice.

It seems even stranger now that we know how seriously they've taken the visual effects and music. It's such a bizarre and obvious oversight to make when they're pulling out all the stops for everything else.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Harrow posted:

Yeah the font is making me pause as well. However it SEEMS like a font would be an easy fix on the PC scene, however I would've said the same for swapping out the crappy sprites for the 'remakes' of 5 & 6 and those took years and years for someone to change them out.

E-

Oof, almost 40% off on Greenmangaming :X uggggghhhhh tempted

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 27, 2021

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
That arrangement slaps. They really went all out in making it still feel like the NES arrangement without it being overly chip-tuney

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Augus posted:

I’m surprised they haven’t really shown any clips with the new soundtrack in the background since that will probably be a huge draw for a lot of people

speaking of which, is the Mod of Balance hack for dawn of souls any good? that one looked interesting but I never got around to trying it out

Someone lped mod of balance and tbh it looked like it was boring as hell

Kale
May 14, 2010

multijoe posted:

Didn't they say the rearrangements were being done by Uematsu personally? I'd expect no loving around on them

I'd almost say Square Enix would be more likely to screw up graphics and visual presentation these days than Music. They clearly REAAAAAAAALLY want to be a music company nowadays too with their Square Enix Music division and probably paid big time to get the most music of any gaming company featured at the Olympics by a long shot. Those are the two things that otaku seem to respond to the most strongly and noticeably nowadays, audio design and visual design so it's almost certainly the right call.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

mainline ff final fights ranking

Excellent (elevates the game experience)
---
Ultimecia
Exdeath

Great (satisfying conclusion)
---
Sephiroth
BFA
Kefka

Good (fitting end)
---
CHAOS
Emperor

Whatever (super medium)
---
Necron
Zeromus
Ardyn
Undying

Garbage (bad fights)
---
Cloud of Darkness
Orphan

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ok that loving rules

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Tonfa posted:

mainline ff final fights ranking

Excellent (elevates the game experience)
---
Ultimecia
Exdeath

Great (satisfying conclusion)
---
Sephiroth
BFA
Kefka

Good (fitting end)
---
CHAOS
Emperor

Whatever (super medium)
---
Necron
Zeromus
Ardyn
Undying

Garbage (bad fights)
---
Cloud of Darkness
Orphan

Thank christ that's over I can finally go to bed
---
Shadow Lord, circa 2003

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DourCricket posted:

Yeah the font is making me pause as well. However it SEEMS like a font would be an easy fix on the PC scene, however I would've said the same for swapping out the crappy sprites for the 'remakes' of 5 & 6 and those took years and years for someone to change them out.

Yeah, if I wasn't so interested in having these games handheld, I'd just get the PC version and install the inevitable font fix, but that's probably not an option on mobile. Maybe I'll hold off for a bit and see if there's a font fix on PC sooner than later.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
That battle theme arrangement is absolutely amazing. Although am I the only one that thinks it sounds a little bit Ace Attorney? Something about how the main melody is absolute front-and-center with everything supporting it, combined with its general tempo, makes it sound like it could be an absolutely killer Cornered theme.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I thought the Cloud of Darkness fight was super fun in 3 DS but I didn’t hate having to go all the way back through the dungeons. I found it gave the fight a sense of real stakes and made me need to experiment again with party builds (Bard OP). Admittedly I was in a place where I had a lot of time to spend and enjoyed a game that felt pretty hard

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SettingSun posted:

It never really comes up in XIII unless you look at a clock but its world operates on a 26 hour clock. In LR, it looks like that maybe the developers forgot this since time is an important mechanic and it's a 24 hour clock there. But lo, you can squeeze an extra day of game time by doing a quest that 'finds' the missing 2 hours of the world's last 13 days. I always that that was really rad.

I could have sworn they explicitly mention it early in the game, that reality itself is so degraded they've lost hours in the day. It was one of those touches I liked in a game I'll otherwise never ever finish.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

The remix is nice, but that was my first time seeing the font and the class upgrade sprites. They’re horrible!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ohtsam posted:

Interesting thing with FF1 is it might be going back to original Magic system which hasn't been in any of the versions released after the PS1 version.

That battle theme twitter video confirms this btw

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Mr. Locke posted:

BLM is already very good in vanilla FF1. You lose runs by getting chipped down over the course of the dungeon, and BLM prevents that by blowing through large groups with AoE damage. FF1 NES they're still useful since they get more charges then RDMs, although RDM are generally the better of the two in most ways (FF1 NES with all it's glitches is basically Fighters and Red Mages and anything else is a direct downgrade outside maybe a White Wizard. But probably not.) They fare better in the PS1 port or in various fixed FF NES ROMs where their higher damage does come up, but even with INT broken you'll usually want at least one character who's capable of throwing around AoE damage to burn down large packs of dangerous adds like Cockatrices and Medusas, and BLM is fine. Yes, magic is limited, but you do not need limitless magic for it to be good- you let your martial characters do the heavy lifting in easy fights or against single hard targets, and you break out the Fire 3 charges against the hordes. It doesn't replace the martial characters the way casters do in a lot of other FF games (the Fighter does that, mostly- Thief and Black Belt are basically not classes in any version of FF1 with Fighters/Knights in the game, but that's more an issue with how stupid Fighter's advantages are over the other two Martial characters.)

You're underestimating MNK's NES overall balance, their raw expected damage is essentially a caster's 1-10 and an off-melee's 11-21, but a WAR with XCALBER 22-31, and rapidly goes off the charts above that. Their problem is more a meta one; the breakpoint for more raw damage than a WAR is level 23, already a plausible endgame level if you know where everything is and don't explore side passages or the wrong direction from towns, and the breakpoint for more damage per hit than a WAR (important in a game where bosses are made bosses by giving them per-hit armor rather than HP) is 38. Ignoring crits since they're still not really documented and the evasion aspect of hit% because it's equal at all points for WAR and MNK, a MNK literally can't touch Chaos until 25, but can one-shot him with FAST at 50 (and will average 55% of his HP), while a WAR with XCALBER can ping Chaos for up to 10 damage at level 1 with endgame gear but tops out with FAST at 36% of his HP with an average of 12%.
(The crit bug probably also punishes MNK heavily; due to how its other stats are laid out I'd presume crit%=level, which "should" outdo knight swords at level 6 but instead outdoes them at 40.)

The availability of endgame gear also eats into arguments for them as a second physical DPS even though it doesn't obviate them as primary in a high-level game; you can kit out three WARs at 45+((L+19)*0.5) damage 66 absorb (🗡️XCALBER, 🛡️AEGIS, 🪖OPAL, 🧥DRAGON); 32+((L+19)*0.5) D 64 A (🗡️SUN, 🛡️OPAL, 🪖SILVER, 🧥OPAL); 30+((L+19)*0.5) D 56 A (🗡️DEFENSE, 🛡️OPAL, 🪖SILVER, 🧥ICE) in comparison to MNK's straight L*2 D L A scaling, all of which compare favorably at even blind-play endgame levels without grinding.

So for MNK, it's more that there isn't enough content in the game to cover where their scaling really takes off, and not enough content as played by people who have memories of the critical path that are old enough to buy a red Corvette and start cheating with their secretary to even get far into where they go from "worse" to "just as good".

THF is the really useless one; it's taken as a worse WAR that can do a little black magic but is designed more as a resourceless BLM balanced by fail chance (remember, running away ALSO deals with large packs of enemies, and crits do big burst to bosses just like NUKE!) But the flee bug and the crit bug combine to completely remove its two specialties from the game, leaving it as an RDM with fewer casts.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 27, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mandoric posted:

THF is the really useless one; it's taken as a worse WAR that can do a little black magic but is designed more as a resourceless BLM balanced by fail chance (remember, running away ALSO deals with large packs of enemies, and crits do big burst to bosses just like NUKE!) But the flee bug and the crit bug combine to completely remove its two specialties from the game, leaving it as an RDM with fewer casts.

Thank You Nasir

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
God drat, if the rest of the songs are as good as the bate theme these remakes will be sick just for the music alone.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I could not defeat Orphan "fairly" in either of my FFXIII runs, even my second one where I had more abilities and understood the battle system better.

I guess some merciful soul at Square realized how bullshit the fight was and said "aw gently caress it, let's make Orphan vulnerable to Poison." That is how I won my first run and I tried to win without doing it my second but could not. Poison is just so obscene in XIII and will kill Orphan in no time and without you having to do poo poo all else.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mega64 posted:

God drat, if the rest of the songs are as good as the bate theme these remakes will be sick just for the music alone.

Someone in the PS5 thread posted the overworld theme arrangements and they're fantastic. I especially love the FF2 one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdPBcQsf_uI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNG88Faf2_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edor_TJzcSQ

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Already trying to think of what party I'm going to run in FF1 this time around. I wonder if the return of spell charges is going to shift the spellcaster balance at all. Curious how Red Mages are going to fare this time around--IIRC they were extremely good in the original NES version but kinda lackluster in rereleases, but it's been a while since I've played any version of FF1.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Thank You Nasir

I choose to believe that Nasir will occasionally wake up in a cold sweat at 3 AM thinking about LOK2

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
To add on a bit about how important armor is for FF1 bosses, doing all the math out is :effort: but there's at least two potential midgame encounters (4x R.ANKYLO in the desert, 5x BADMAN on F1 of the floating castle) that have a higher HP total than any boss in the game except for Chaos. They just absorb 36 damage a hit (BLM/WHM don't bother) instead of 100 (RDM/THF also don't bother), slightly less than first-fight LICH's 40.

NikkolasKing posted:

I could not defeat Orphan "fairly" in either of my FFXIII runs, even my second one where I had more abilities and understood the battle system better.

I guess some merciful soul at Square realized how bullshit the fight was and said "aw gently caress it, let's make Orphan vulnerable to Poison." That is how I won my first run and I tried to win without doing it my second but could not. Poison is just so obscene in XIII and will kill Orphan in no time and without you having to do poo poo all else.

Orphan's also vulnerable to Death, as a callback to the first time Square had you killing capital-G God. I kind of think it being something you have to deal with in the fight is an attempt to leave a clue.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 27, 2021

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Woooooooah drat holy poo poo. That sounds GREAT.

I can't wait to hear what they do with 4 and 6.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wanna hear the FF3 boss music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I wanna hear the FF3 boss music

Same. it is an underrated and amazing theme.