Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Well I quit hemming and hawing and just called up the Boston VA. They put me straight through to a VR&E rep who explained stuff and gave me an app, and set me up for an appointment in a week. That was a lot less painful than a lot of the VA dealings I've had lately. Like how they had me drive 2 hours to the same dentist three times now for my TMJ claim, and the dentist has no idea what I'm doing there each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
That's good news! Also convinced is too just call and see what they say instead of second guessing; hopefully they can flex for us since we didn't become disabled until after using up the GI Bill.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I think I'm going to just milk unemployment for as long as I can, stay in this base house for as long as I feel like I can, and pursue this PHR certificate. Good Lord willing I'll get 50% disability and have that income as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

DaNerd posted:

You're going to be 42 either way, might as well have a degree too.

This is a significant point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lite_sleepr posted:

I think I'm going to just milk unemployment for as long as I can, stay in this base house for as long as I feel like I can, and pursue this PHR certificate. Good Lord willing I'll get 50% disability and have that income as well.

Depending on the state, you can collect unemployment and gi bill at the same time. GI Bill and VR&E both will pay you while you work on a PHR cert through an accredited program.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Depending on the state, you can collect unemployment and gi bill at the same time. GI Bill and VR&E both will pay you while you work on a PHR cert through an accredited program.

GI Bill benefits, like VA Disability payments, are very specifically neither taxable nor income to the feds. I would be surprised if there's any state law that can override that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zero VGS posted:

GI Bill benefits, like VA Disability payments, are very specifically neither taxable nor income to the feds. I would be surprised if there's any state law that can override that.

Florida absolutely will deny unemployment benefits if you're getting too much tax free money from the feds. Each state is different and their unemployment system is based entirely on state law. They can count what they want to count.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Same for subsidized housing, varies place to place.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida absolutely will deny unemployment benefits if you're getting too much tax free money from the feds. Each state is different and their unemployment system is based entirely on state law. They can count what they want to count.

Ask a lawyer in your state obviously, but since all the guidelines say that VA benefits aren't income and aren't taxable, you shouldn't have to report it to the state, and they shouldn't have a mechanism for finding out, nor punishing you if you don't mention it.

State law says I have to pay a sales tax for things I buy, but the veteran-accessible ShopMyExchange.com says "not for stuff bought here, gently caress off Taxachusetts".

edit: If a state says something more cut and dry like "students can't collect unemployment" then that's another story.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 8, 2021

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm already enrolled in a PHR certification through Syracuse via IVMF. it's free, but I didn't think I could get either GI Bill or the VR&E to pay me while I do it. Since I'm already taking it, and it's for free, I guess I can't collect from either.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm already enrolled in a PHR certification through Syracuse via IVMF. it's free, but I didn't think I could get either GI Bill or the VR&E to pay me while I do it. Since I'm already taking it, and it's for free, I guess I can't collect from either.

It doesn't matter if you're already enrolled or if it's free. You can still use GI Bill benefits if you want. Reach out to the certifying official's office at https://veterans.syr.edu/. They can get you set up if you want to use it.

For example, I have zero tuition right now as well because of a graduate stipend. I'm using GI Bill just to get paid monthly.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

In WA I didn't qualify for various benefits like SNAP or whatever because of my VA disability

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

In WA I didn't qualify for various benefits like SNAP or whatever because of my VA disability

Gotta love that 10th amendment and our federalist system!!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

It doesn't matter if you're already enrolled or if it's free. You can still use GI Bill benefits if you want. Reach out to the certifying official's office at https://veterans.syr.edu/. They can get you set up if you want to use it.

For example, I have zero tuition right now as well because of a graduate stipend. I'm using GI Bill just to get paid monthly.

Reached out. Will report back with what they tell me. If the GI Bill is only going to pay the $900 or so a month because my course is online, I won't take it since I'd rather not burn up GI Bill time for such little money.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I can't remember the exact details, but find an expert on the GI Bill at a base near you (ours was the TAPS briefer. I don't remember the specifics, but to get the locacal BAH of the college there's a set number of days you must attend and go in person for some college entry enrollment officers to consider and classify you as in person (like a week a month), so there were people taking courses in, like, Boston, and going out for the week or so. It's a specific type of enrollment split between online and in person but it sounded like a lot of university gi bill/vet counselors knew what was being asked.

Edit: I guess they're called school certifying officials at the University. Wish I could find the rest of my notes.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 9, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Just learned about travel reimbursement for VA appts and posting here just in case someone didn't know either. Lost out on a lot over the past year since it needs to be within 30 days of the appt.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

PageMaster posted:

Just learned about travel reimbursement for VA appts and posting here just in case someone didn't know either. Lost out on a lot over the past year since it needs to be within 30 days of the appt.

For me they were claiming to be automatically calculating/paying it. Like they went off distance from my address and I guess direct deposited 55 cents a mile or whatever.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I have all 36mo of my Post-9/11 left but damned if I know when it expires. Or how to use it. I’m getting my FAA airframe and power plant license to get an aerospace job, but the GI Bill doesn’t cover the prep course, only the tests (reimbursement). I’m sure if I’d gone the school route they would, but the prep course was the quickest way.

For reference I got out of the army in 2012, before the Trump admin took away the expiration of the GI Bill. I want to use the benefit but I don’t know what to do. I tried using it at the local community college years ago, but the rep there apparently hosed up because it used zero of my benefits and I got billed by the school.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

PageMaster posted:

When can I apply for this? I had to travel, round trip, 300 miles from Laughlin AFB to San Antonio for all my QTC VA medical appointments, 4 in total.

1,200 miles for four VA appointments that took less than an hour each time!

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 9, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lite_sleepr posted:

When can I apply for this? I had to travel, round trip, 300 miles from Laughlin AFB to San Antonio for all my QTC VA medical appointments, 4 in total.

1,200 miles for four VA appointments that took less than an hour each time!

You should have filled a travel voucher out at your appointment. If it's been more than 30 days, you're gonna have a headache. I'd call the VA clinic where you had your appointment in San Antonio and ask to speak to their travel office. If you were clear to your providers that you traveled a lot and no one told you to fill out a travel form, also contact the patient advocate.

This is the form you should have filled out: https://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-3542-fill.pdf

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
They definitely were not automatically claiming it for me, unfortunately, but you can go to here and follow the'how to file a claim' directions. First time loading the claim website it did not show any appointments, but once you start submitting your first claim and click 'i don't see my appointment' mine all loaded. If reminds me of DTS a bit, and you can claim a bunch of different things for each appointment (like tolls and parking),. But I just added mileage and it automatically calculates with a bing search and I just accept and submit.

Edit: I used the BTSSS online site to submit mine, but link also says you can mail/fax form above poster linked as well

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 9, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just realized something - I should be using chapter 30 instead of 33. My school is paid for and the chapter 30 monthly benefit is $800 more than the post 9/11 BAH.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

You should have filled a travel voucher out at your appointment. If it's been more than 30 days, you're gonna have a headache. I'd call the VA clinic where you had your appointment in San Antonio and ask to speak to their travel office. If you were clear to your providers that you traveled a lot and no one told you to fill out a travel form, also contact the patient advocate.

This is the form you should have filled out: https://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-3542-fill.pdf

Nobody told me anything.

It was more than 30 days ago. Oh well. So long as I get a 50% rating I don't care :)

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
We submitted 4 claims for mileage and the VA immediately closed them with no payment after manual review for one day. No notes or feedback and it was just for THEIR mileage calculated so not sure if they're going to make this painful.

Edit: drove down and talked to them, there's two systems that process claims, the'old' and 'new' one. So they don't get a backlog they close all new claims in the new process and then continue processing in the old process.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 13, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Warning for retired PCScs (probably any PCS but it never came up before; your requested delivery date is a NLT; I stupidly assumed that was the date I actually wanted my stuff delivered but now I have HHG coming 20 days early to a house that's not actually finished with interior reno work because it'll still be before my request date.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah, thank you all for the advice on VR&E. I was months away from my GI Bill expiring, but now I'm officially locked in to take vocational courses and earn E5+dependants BAH until 2028 (or until they decide I've learned enough).

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Has anybody ever had a reduction in their rating and had a successful appeal? They're proposing to reduce my rating from 70 to 50, and I have 60 days to appeal, because I am definitely not better than I was five years ago. The rating is for PTSD and apparently in my 1 hour C&P session with the psych I didn't mention enough of the criteria to remain at 70%. The doc just asked me vaguely about my condition and I tried my best to explain as much as I could, but now in this explanation letter I'm finding out that I failed to mention some significant criteria because it wasn't at the top of my mind while I was in there.

This process is dumb as gently caress and I can't explain 14 years of my feelings and emotional stress in an hour. I've quit two jobs over this since I was medically retired, and I'm currently struggling with my current job. Is it pretty simple to request another exam, and can I just go in there with a bullet point list of all the ways I meet the criteria?

I swear to god the VA is trying to make vets commit suicide.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I had a 5 year thing for TBI. Me and wife go in, and while I can't remember it, my wife said it was the weirdest thing. A doctor took down details and history, and it was over in 15 minutes. Get a notice not long later they were knocking my TBI rating from 100% to 10%. Immediately appealed, because, well poo poo. Went through a vet org.

It took them about a year for the VA to look at it, and apparently took a look at what was described as a complete lack of any kind of notes from the evaluating doctor. They called up my current ones and they said LOL, no, he's hosed and then it was back at 100% again.

Mine is not an uncommon story, apparently. Sometimes you get a dickhead doctor who is just a pain in the balls or just ferociously lazy and ends up making it everyone else's problem.

Vet rep said that if you are current with VA doctors it makes appeals a lot easier. Said he didn't even have to do anything except lodge the paperwork, and the VA looked at it and said yo don't worry, it's going back as it was and that was it.

Get to do it again in another 5 years I guess.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you don’t have a VSO, please get with one to help you file your appeal.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I just left a message for DAV. Thank you.

Is there any way for me to see the report this doc sent in? He wasn't even a VA doc, just some doctor contracted through logistics health inc. I'd like to see if he even sent in an accurate exam report.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't just look at my VA record. I've been seeing a psych there this whole time and just recently had all my medications changed. It's pretty obvious the VA system is so convoluted they can't even keep track of their own poo poo.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Hell yeah, thank you all for the advice on VR&E. I was months away from my GI Bill expiring, but now I'm officially locked in to take vocational courses and earn E5+dependants BAH until 2028 (or until they decide I've learned enough).

What kind of courses are 'vocational' courses? Things like trades such as electrician/plumber/carpenter?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

What kind of courses are 'vocational' courses? Things like trades such as electrician/plumber/carpenter?

Not sure if there’s a specific kind of course, VR is just a way to help someone who is disabled get or keep a job. Or learn a new skill

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

lite_sleepr posted:

If you have bodily aches and pains, they're going to steer you away from the trades. I was in IBEW apprenticeship when I was approved for VR&E, but my counselor made it clear they wouldn't support it because of the way it was organized.

You'd have to look at a technical school, not an apprenticeship program, and you won't be collecting working hours from courses if your goal is something that requires licensure, like plumbing, electric, etc. You'll still need to work and track 10k hours before you're eligible for your journeymans' test and licensure.

Automotive doesn't work like that, but you might find some big diesel shops (tractor-trailer or heavy equipment) that follow the same structure until you pass ASE tests.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm just going to try and buckle down and pass this PHR test.

A certificate is cool and good to have.

I also have a lot of aches and pains, and chronic hip bursitis.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 18, 2022

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I didn't see the post, but you may as well leave it up so others can learn from it.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 18, 2022

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've been told that even if you have a degree, if you are needing some kind of credential or additional qualification they will definitely hook you up. Another degree, advanced degree, a lot harder.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm having a hard time understanding the post 9/11 GI Bill and online school.

Am I right in saying that you only get about $900 a month if you're fully enrolled online, vs. getting potentially a few grand a month if you go to a physical school in a higher cost of living area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm having a hard time understanding the post 9/11 GI Bill and online school.

Am I right in saying that you only get about $900 a month if you're fully enrolled online, vs. getting potentially a few grand a month if you go to a physical school in a higher cost of living area?

Yes

If you go to online school and use the Post 9/11 GI Bill your BAH is calculated at the average BAH rate across the US.

If you have at least one physical class at a college (and then do the others through the same school online), your BAH is calculated using the zip code for that institution instead of the average.