Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

One time someone on these forums said Tobey Maguire's wig hairline was edited out of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas using CGI. I thought they said his hair was entirely CGI, so I watched the scene stoned as hell and couldn't believe how fuckin good the CGI hair was for 1998

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is the character supposed to be Native American or is she a white Upper East Sider? Because I can imagine the latter actually happening.

Oh yeah, wasn't clear. "Blair Waldorf," the woman wearing the costume, is Caucasian. The scene was pretty tone deaf for multiple reasons, but the use of the costume was just kind of mystifying.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Honestly the most 2008 thing in the movie is probably the last of these. Does that still happen at all?

It does, it just doesn't happen in that way anymore. If a hip-hop/R&B artist breaks into movies these days, it's usually either in a smaller film that fits that sort of casting, or the ever-popular 'just do a kids' movie' (I believe Lizzo has both of those in her credits). My guess is that, with the advent of social media, those artists no longer had 'appear in a movie' as their only option to see success outside of their specific genre of music. Which meant A: less artists trying to make that 'music to movie' jump in general, and B: the ones that do generally having more freedom in how to do it. AceOfFlames is absolutely right that a pro wrestler would fit that role to a T in the present day, though.

So, like I guess a lot of Tropic Thunder, it's making jokes about something that did remain true, but in a way that absolutely doesn't age well.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Jul 27, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

My partner recently rewatched the entirety of Gossip Girl, which meant I also ended up absorbing more than I wanted to. In the final season's thanksgiving episode, one of the women dresses up in what I imagine the writers thought to be authentic Native American dress to seduce a white dude on the holiday, which was a pretty big yikes for the two of us.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATomrK7-b2s

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

It does, it just doesn't happen in that way anymore. If a hip-hop/R&B artist breaks into movies these days, it's usually either in a smaller film that fits that sort of casting, or the ever-popular 'just do a kids' movie' (I believe Lizzo has both of those in her credits). My guess is that, with the advent of social media, those artists no longer had 'appear in a movie' as their only option to see success outside of their specific genre of music. Which meant A: less artists trying to make that 'music to movie' jump in general, and B: the ones that do generally having more freedom in how to do it. AceOfFlames is absolutely right that a pro wrestler would fit that role to a T in the present day, though.

So, like I guess a lot of Tropic Thunder, it's making jokes about something that did remain true, but in a way that absolutely doesn't age well.

Awkwafina is the most recent rapper to movie star jump I can think of and she did pretty well.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

One time someone on these forums said Tobey Maguire's wig hairline was edited out of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas using CGI. I thought they said his hair was entirely CGI, so I watched the scene stoned as hell and couldn't believe how fuckin good the CGI hair was for 1998

Another chance to bring up the magic that is Hunter S Thompson on the Fear and Loathing DVD commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNZkKKkTM0g

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Please, he prefers Tugboat Maguire

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Awkwafina is the most recent rapper to movie star jump I can think of and she did pretty well.

A comedy rapper with a novelty hit making it is a very different jump than like, Ludacris imo.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

50-Cent plays Air Marshal 50-Cent...

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Dan Simmons' Endymion/Rise of Endymion, the protagonist is in his 20s when he meets and spends a lot of time with a 12 year old girl.

Shares a non platonic kiss when she is 16 and he is in his late twenties.

They are separated for several years

Starts a sexual relationship when she is in her early twenties and he is in his early thirties.

And then she dies and he lives on and due to time travel fuckery he then is able to marry her and have a child with her during the interregnum they were separated, so he is still advancing through his 30s and she was a teenager again.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Can I just say that's gross and I feel gross for reading it. That's as bad as that time traveler's wife book where he's an old man when he takes her virginity.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think one of the few “old school” sci fi writers whose work aged well was Harlan Ellison. Which is weird because the man himself was a gross little goblin.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Being trapped with the teenage version of a person you loved as an adult seems like an especially hellish fate because they're kind of the person you loved but they're also a stupid impulsive rear end in a top hat incapable of caring about or understanding anything. It would be like reverse Alzheimer's.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

packetmantis posted:

Quick, mention Idiocracy.

Here you go

:smugdog:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

OPAONI posted:

Apparently he's a huge rear end in a top hat.

The below the line crew on Spider-Man took up a collection and offered Joe Mangienello $500 to accidentally knock him during their on screen fight.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

tobey maguire was a member of The Pussy Posse with leonardo dicaprio, harmony korine and david blaine

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think one of the few “old school” sci fi writers whose work aged well was Harlan Ellison. Which is weird because the man himself was a gross little goblin.

Perhaps the secret is to be open about being an enormous shithead.

There's a Worldcon speech Ellison gave that was turned into an essay that was berating fandom for parasocial relationships twenty-five years before anybody was talking about the subject. Ellison may have been a goatse sized rear end in a top hat, but he was on point.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I also think it's likely he just made up most of his stories about doing horrible sadistic things to people. You can't just confess to dozens of crimes in writing and public speeches, sometimes naming specific personal enemies he supposedly had who were out for revenge and might mail a copy of the essay to the police. He was probably just mean all the time.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
its hosed up he became a mean computer

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Why is the dude doing the Batman voice

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I also think it's likely he just made up most of his stories about doing horrible sadistic things to people. You can't just confess to dozens of crimes in writing and public speeches, sometimes naming specific personal enemies he supposedly had who were out for revenge and might mail a copy of the essay to the police. He was probably just mean all the time.

He wrote a personal cease and desist letter to my college professor for handing out an 11 page short story of his in a packet of short stories for class. The campus had maybe 150 students enrolled at any one time.

The man had a penchant for being absolutely right in the absolutely wrongest way possible.

Edit: When the sci fi channel was young every Sunday they'd air a sci fi literature and news show. They had Harlan Ellison give the weekly Andy Rooney style editorial. I haven't seen any of them in almost 30 years but it's how I was introduced to him and they left an impression alright.

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Jul 27, 2021

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Sunswipe posted:

Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3.

Sorry Tobes hurt you by making two of the only good Spider-Man movies, feel free to respond to this post and prove you’re a huge idiot

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Calico Heart posted:

Sorry Tobes hurt you by making two of the only good Spider-Man movies, feel free to respond to this post and prove you’re a huge idiot

Enter the Spiderverse is #1 you hoser

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I love how people are slamming Tobey for being such a loving piece of poo poo that people will pay money to have him injured and bringing up other heinous poo poo he may or may not have done, when I only hate him because he can’t act. Also just lmao at the vanishingly nugatory praise of being in a good Spiderman film.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

endocriminologist posted:

its hosed up he became a mean computer

Ellison himself voicing AM in the I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream video game was loving perfect.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Torquemada posted:

I love how people are slamming Tobey for being such a loving piece of poo poo that people will pay money to have him injured and bringing up other heinous poo poo he may or may not have done, when I only hate him because he can’t act. Also just lmao at the vanishingly nugatory praise of being in a good Spiderman film.

Cool word. I usually only hear stuff like that from my German friend whose Latin is better than her English

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I think that's moved out of the realm of "costume" and into "fetish gear"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Hey, the Cider House Rules ruled.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Calico Heart posted:

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Enter the Spiderverse is #1 you hoser

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Enter the Spider-Verse is so good and the rest of Sony's output so generally terrible that I can only surmise Enter the Spider-Verse was some sort of quality vampire and stole all the goodness from these other projects.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Do any of you even know what hoser actually means? Stupid Americans appropriating Canadian culture.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only other possible contender for an enjoyable Spiderman movie is Spiderman 3.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There are three good movies: Spiderverse, Spider-man 2, and Spider-man 3. 3 is good in a different way

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Spider man three is insanely boring.

People remember the memes but those are like less than a minute of the movie

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Spider-Man 3 is bad but I never got the hate it gets. People act like it's this complete loving trashfire like Amazing Spider-Man 2, X-Men 3 (either version) or Catwoman when it's not. It's just bad. Maybe it's because people liked the first two so much that their reaction was so much more hyperbolic, or because over-the-top internet criticism was kind of reaching its peak around then if I'm remembering the years right, but it always seemed off to me that people treated Spider-Man 3 like it killed their dog.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agreed. There’s a lot of venom thrown at Spider-Man 3 that’s undeserved

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

oldpainless posted:

Agreed. There’s a lot of venom thrown at Spider-Man 3 that’s undeserved

Oh, you!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
If you want to know the true meaning of insanely boring, watch The Man With The Iron Fists 2.

This is an unironic recommendation, the last 15 or so minutes of the movie redeems it entirely even though the first 75 minutes consists of an incredibly slow-burning wuxia drama where the eponymous iron fists man is comatose and completely unrelated to the plot.

It probably won't hit the same if you actually know it's gonna do anything besides continue to be incredibly boring, but I assume no one reading this will watch 'The Man With The Iron Fists 2' so I'll spoil it:

Spoilers for the first 75 minutes: RZA washes up on the shore of a river and is rescued by some miners, but he's comatose. Like 6 miners die either through mining company negligence/sabotage or in ritualistic kung-fu combat which is the only form of arbitration the mining company accepts as valid.

Spoilers for the last 15 minutes: RZA wakes up, offers to help. Upon learning the miners' best kung-fu fighter is a 80 year old man who had his legs cut off by the mining company to make him unable to do kung-fu, RZA crafts the old man some feet version of his iron fists. The old man, 10 seconds after donning his new iron feet, reveals his legs were actually cut off by kung-fu masters for trying to steal their mystical artifact and he's the one who funded the mining company in the first place, in order to mine under the kung-fu temple to try and steal their artifact from below. He proceeds to test out his iron feet by kicking several miners to death. The miners regroup and get ready for a fight with the mining company, this fight consists of one woman with a bow shooting dozens of people with explosive arrows while every other notable character is elsewhere, it is pretty much the Rambo scene from UHF played straight. The iron feet guy, who has been revitalized by being a weird qi vampire, fights the main character miner on a mountain while RZA fights the mining company leader higher up the trail. The miner is losing his fight with the iron feet vampire, but he manages to pull him in to a river below a waterfall and is trying to drown both of them. RZA wins his fight, runs, jumps off the peak of the waterfall, and it cuts to a shot of the iron feet vampire underwater, where RZA's iron fists suddenly come from out of the top of the frame and explode his head with the force of the impact from RZA swan-diving fist first on to the bad guy. The miners thank RZA for all he's done, roll credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There is bad stuff in Spider-Man 3 but it's bullshit that the actual good parts tend to get lumped in with them.