Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/26/01

More Than You Wanted to Know About Women's Footwear in the 1940s 12/5-7/46

As silly as this story is, any plot that involves Pesky getting smacked in the face can't be all bad.

Smokey Stover 6/21/42

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 09, 1946)

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Haifisch posted:

Have fun with your less potent medicines with inconsistent doses of the active ingredient, I guess. It's not like anyone ever fell ill or died young before the industrial revolution, I'm sure you'd be fine. Also have fun not having things like vaccines to keep poo poo like polio/measles/covid from wrecking people's lives.

I'd much rather deal with the problem of storing nuclear waste(or whatever it is Steph is hand-wringing about) than climate change, but that's just me.

Oh yeah, she also believes that green power is bad. Like solar panels cooking wildlife and birds being chopped up by windmills.

To her there was no good green option.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 09, 1946)

There is approximately a 0% chance Val doesn't know Puny is Aleta. I absolutely adore these two dorks.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Not an edit, wow!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (November 11, 1999)

Okay, so Arlos , in the modern strip, looks pretty good for someone in their mid to late 80s.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

Okay, so Arlos , in the modern strip, looks pretty good for someone in their mid to late 80s.

Eh, my grandfather fought in WW2, my dad is 64, I'm 37. I think that lines up pretty well with Arlo's dad, Arlo, and Gene.

It's a little more complicated because the college stories have Arlo getting kicked out of frat parties for yelling about Nixon, which would make him a few years older than my dad (who graduated HS in ... 76, I think). But maybe Arlo was the kind of guy still getting kicked out of frat parties for yelling about Nixon deep into the 70s.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946 is ripe for edits

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

There’s a reason farmers beat out hunter-gathers.
McMillan is a genocidal romanticist idiot who either thinks eating plant will cure all ills or that the handicapped deserve death (or both) but this isn't exactly great either. Early farming was often lousy with grim nutritional side effects and backbreaking work compared to foraging and it could become an irreversible choice since the population uptick it produced from a larger baseline food source (fingers crossed you don't have a bad crop this year!) would result in you no longer being able to sustain yourself without it. So, the 'reason' ends up being 'weight of numbers' which isn't exactly morally laudable.
And that's if we're going waaaaaay back. If you look at it more recently, just around where I live my farmer ancestors benefitted from other farmers genociding 'beating out' the local hunter-gatherers over the course of a few centuries via infecting them with zoonotic plagues, repeatedly cheating and lying to them, shooting them, and systemically abducting their children to abuse them 'for their own good.' None of that exactly shows moral fiber either.

Huxley posted:

Eh, my grandfather fought in WW2, my dad is 64, I'm 37. I think that lines up pretty well with Arlo's dad, Arlo, and Gene.

It's a little more complicated because the college stories have Arlo getting kicked out of frat parties for yelling about Nixon, which would make him a few years older than my dad (who graduated HS in ... 76, I think). But maybe Arlo was the kind of guy still getting kicked out of frat parties for yelling about Nixon deep into the 70s.
The kurse of the kanonical kartoon timeskale strikes again.
Could be worse. Could be marvel comics dealing with tony stark making his armour in vietnam. Or reed richards, early cold warrior spaceflight scientist.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Huxley posted:

Jimmy Johnson mentioned on his blog that Arlo and Janis are in a sliding scale of late 50s - early 60s, so on the verge of retirement.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Arlo and Janis started in '85, and was pretty clearly about two people in their late twenties / early thirties starting married life, which fits for someone born in the '50's - which wouldn't be too unusual for someone whose father fought in World War II.

Johnson himself was born in '52, and it seems like he sees the characters as his contemporaries.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Bruceski posted:

He does this gag every year but as a gardener I can't help but cackle.

Haha, same. I got a bumper crop of squashes this year including a LOT of zucchini.
Thing is, for all the jokes about nobody wanting the darn things, the truth of the matter is that a lot of people don't have the time or space to garden squashes and would love to have a fresh picked squash for dinner. At least, that's how its been this year, my neighbors have been more than happy to take the extra fruit off my hands.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Huxley posted:

Well, the way the strips have been written, it heavily implies that Arlos childhood is during or right after WW2. Well, Okay nevermind. It wasn't like there was therapy back then, wasn't like the "Specter of Death" that people brought back with them was just gonna vanish on it's own. If Arlo was born mid 50s, then that timeline would work (except as you said, about Nixon)

My grandfather is in his mid 80s and served in Korea. My Great-grandfather did WW2, and died before I was born. He was one of those types where once he was home, he would not say a word about where he went or what he did, during the war.
I keep meaning to put in the forms to get his military service records. I kind of want to look up who was in his unit, contact the families and see if they have letters that were sent home that possibly talked about him. Even if not, it would give an idea of what he went through in that same unit.

I am 37 also. Hell yeah, 1983 was a fine, fine vintage of a year.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Sylvia

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, the way the strips have been written, it heavily implies that Arlos childhood is during or right after WW2. Well, Okay nevermind. It wasn't like there was therapy back then, wasn't like the "Specter of Death" that people brought back with them was just gonna vanish on it's own. If Arlo was born mid 50s, then that timeline would work (except as you said, about Nixon)

My grandfather is in his mid 80s and served in Korea. My Great-grandfather did WW2, and died before I was born. He was one of those types where once he was home, he would not say a word about where he went or what he did, during the war.
I keep meaning to put in the forms to get his military service records. I kind of want to look up who was in his unit, contact the families and see if they have letters that were sent home that possibly talked about him. Even if not, it would give an idea of what he went through in that same unit.

I am 37 also. Hell yeah, 1983 was a fine, fine vintage of a year.

To be fair, the numbers are a little weird on dad, because my grandparents did the, "keep trying until you get a boy" thing. He was the last of 5, born I think 19 years after his oldest sister. I'll never forget for their 50th anniversary the kids did an interview video thing for them where they talked about "trying one more time ... and ending up with my 4th aunt. Then trying ONE MORE time and finally 'lucking out' and having dad." Suddenly it made a lot of sense why that aunt smoked a lot of pot and lived on the other side of the country.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Calling it now: "Thank goodness we found you, now let's all get back to the cabin, it's right over... um... where is it again?"

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Huxley posted:

To be fair, the numbers are a little weird on dad, because my grandparents did the, "keep trying until you get a boy" thing. He was the last of 5, born I think 19 years after his oldest sister. I'll never forget for their 50th anniversary the kids did an interview video thing for them where they talked about "trying one more time ... and ending up with my 4th aunt. Then trying ONE MORE time and finally 'lucking out' and having dad." Suddenly it made a lot of sense why that aunt smoked a lot of pot and lived on the other side of the country.

One of my "Aunts" is actually a Great-Aunt. I think she is around, or a few years older than my mother? I guess my Great-grandparents also decided to have another late on.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Drakyn posted:

McMillan is a genocidal romanticist idiot who either thinks eating plant will cure all ills or that the handicapped deserve death (or both) but this isn't exactly great either. Early farming was often lousy with grim nutritional side effects and backbreaking work compared to foraging and it could become an irreversible choice since the population uptick it produced from a larger baseline food source (fingers crossed you don't have a bad crop this year!) would result in you no longer being able to sustain yourself without it. So, the 'reason' ends up being 'weight of numbers' which isn't exactly morally laudable.
And that's if we're going waaaaaay back. If you look at it more recently, just around where I live my farmer ancestors benefitted from other farmers genociding 'beating out' the local hunter-gatherers over the course of a few centuries via infecting them with zoonotic plagues, repeatedly cheating and lying to them, shooting them, and systemically abducting their children to abuse them 'for their own good.' None of that exactly shows moral fiber either.

The kurse of the kanonical kartoon timeskale strikes again.
Could be worse. Could be marvel comics dealing with tony stark making his armour in vietnam. Or reed richards, early cold warrior spaceflight scientist.

I’m not sure what point you are trying to get across but I didn’t include any morality in my comment.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double LOA edition)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Ashsaber posted:

Oh yeah, she also believes that green power is bad. Like solar panels cooking wildlife and birds being chopped up by windmills.

To her there was no good green option.

I keep wanting to try to be fair to McMillan because of how a lot of modern problems have shaken out but this is genuine idiocy and spite. Ugh. And of course she really does think nuclear power involves pumping radiation directly into rivers and tossing giant cartoon barrels into the woods.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "152 - Jucika Is Feeling Cold"

What a nice man. :3:

"153 - Jucika In The Cloakroom"

Cold weather feels.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tiggum posted:

How does the eco-terrorist rabbit fit into this interpretation?

It's basically an admission that Kranti's ideology can only ever function on loony tunes logic.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Geez man just increase your font size or something.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

I’m not sure what point you are trying to get across but I didn’t include any morality in my comment.
Apologies, I'm very poor at explaining myself - and at reading others.
If what you meant was 'agricultural societies historically beat foraging societies because they produce larger populations on average; therefore if MacMillan wants to switch economies so many loving people HAVE to die,' I'm sorry, I missed that and hosed up. I read it (due to the ongoing conversation about how MinSec's ecocidal wet dreams mandate the deaths of the vulnerable) as 'agricultural societies beat foraging societies because vulnerable people suffer and die less because of them,' and so I wrote many poorly-articulated words about how historically this was not necessarily so.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EBB posted:

Not an edit, wow!

I think the authors in general "get" that Luann is boring, Bernice is a prude, etc., they just haven't figured out that it has worn thin and more annoying than endearing even when it's lampshaded.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

It's basically an admission that Kranti's ideology can only ever function on loony tunes logic.

She's a (wo)manchild. I think it's been mentioned but McMillan was not a college activist or amateur cartoonist when these things were made- she was in her early to mid 40's.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I'm unironically enjoying this story.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Geez man just increase your font size or something.

I'm telling you guys, Drew's eyesight is really bad for a doctor!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

That one strip in black and white is due to that day's Safe Havens upload being a dupe of the 7/20 On the Fastrack strip, Holbrook uploaded the non color version to facebook until they fix it on the Comics Kingdom site.

This is also the last full week we missed! Tomorrow is a half day and then I'll spend a good long time thinking about if I want to add them to my dailies. I probably will.

riderchop fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 27, 2021

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Haifisch posted:

Ah yes, how could I forget. And this is Steph so naturally she hates electricity existing at all(with grudging tolerance for the bare minimum needed to store medicine, at least in the later minsec story).

Just make sure you don't mistake a good plant for one that will kill you if you eat it. It's okay, nobody's died of that before the modern age either!

I just noticed that one of the things she says are so much trouble about making medicines is "doing studies." What's the alternative to that?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Caphi posted:

I just noticed that one of the things she says are so much trouble about making medicines is "doing studies." What's the alternative to that?
Ask a chipmunk for advice like god and nature intended.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (November 11, 1989)

Garfield is so happy to have all that food.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kavak posted:

She's a (wo)manchild. I think it's been mentioned but McMillan was not a college activist or amateur cartoonist when these things were made- she was in her early to mid 40's.

Well, sure.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

I have a solution that will help them deal with Ms. Trellis.

It was invented in France, near the end of the 1700s.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

Mark Trail

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. As much as Bee Sharp is one of the best things to come out of this arc, I guess this is as mercifully passable an outcome as we can get for this half of the story. Some serious "oh gently caress a deadline" art though lol.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
It's very lovely in Safe Havens that it's like "We hired you to make sure no one else does what we can. Only we are the arbiters of good obviously."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

I know :justpost: is the thread mantra, but I am definitely interested in seeing a mundane, everyday-life strip from Nazi Germany, that seems incredibly fascinating!
Yeah you've pretty much hit the nail on the head, that's exactly what it is.

Vater und Sohn - The interesting Christmas book (51/1934)

Meet the mother. Now say goodbye to the mother cause she's never showing up again.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (August 5, 1995)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits