Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I usually have one-per-event to limit how much I need to have on disk at once, but I might change that now I've got a proper NAS set up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

One lightroom library, 60k photos over 10 years (not doing this for a living). I’m a strong believer in deleting photos, and using that to think about “why is THIS a keeper and THIS is not?” It helps me develop an eye for photos that I like, so that I can see the keepers/rejects in the viewfinder before I click the shutter. I know a lot of people keep a lot more photos than I do, but it’s not my style. I prefer to cull aggressively and avoid having more than one photo of the same thing with minor variations. I make myself choose the one that I like most.

Ingest photos into YYYY-MM-DD {event name} folders.
Pass 1 - Bulk tagging with keywords for people (family), style (landscape/macro), insect species (for my macro).
Pass 2 - Immediately delete any photos with missed focus, bad expressions on faces, there’s just no photo there.
Pass 3 - Crop photos to adjust framing if needed. Delete photos where I don’t think there’s any good composition to be had. This is the last step where photos are deleted.
Pass 4 - Add to Quick Collection of any photos I want to develop, share, or work on further.
Pass 5 - Develop photos in QC. Remove from quick collection any duplicates where they are fundamentally similar (I make myself choose the best one). Again, working on my ability to see the good photos quickly so I can see them in the viewfinder. Any photos that are still in the quick collection get flagged as picks.

I don’t use star ratings or colors. In the end I only keep photos that I want to see again. I use Picks to flag photos that I want to share with others, and that I want to surface at the end of the year when I do a photo book of the year’s best stuff.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I use Luminar because gently caress Adobe's subscription model on principle.

It probably makes way more sense for people who shoot hundreds of photos per month, but I'm extremely hobbyist about it so I'd rather pay $60 one time.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

One catalogue. Everything goes in it. Half-arsed pruning. Token keywording once in a blue moon. Photos from 2013 that I've still never properly gone through

This is often my method too. Generally I'll do picks when I first offload so it's a little easier to look through later, but haven't bothered pruning the library since I think 2011.

I really like Capture One's session setup for paid work as it keeps each job nice and tidy no catalog needed, but I just can't get used to it after using lightroom essentially since it came out. And I have to pay for Adobe anyway so Lightroom is "free" in a sense.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I have 150,000 photos in my catalogue. I could probably prune 90% of those.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
If you don't hoard photos how can you even call yourself a photographer

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Who am I kidding? I could prune 99.99% of them.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Memory is cheap, hoard away.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I think the benefit to culling is the time you spend thinking about your own work.

I was worried I was culling too aggressively, so I started keeping a folder for tough choices, mostly just to make letting go easier. I look through it once and a while but have never pulled anything back out.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

What should I be looking for in the 2nd hand market for a good video shooter, doesn't need to be any more than 1080p, it's for demoing products at work. Is Sony still the go to for video?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Sony is great as long as you don’t plan on doing a lot of camera movements and are cool with shooting 4K and downscaling to 1080p. Don’t buy Sony for video if it’s not 4K capable. Their 1080 was once competitive but is now totally eclipsed by the latest Fuji stuff. X-T2, -H1, -T3, -T30, -E4, -S10 all have great video image quality in 1080p and 4K. You can record longer with the T3 and S10.

Panasonic is known for video but their model spread is a little more of a mixed bag. Some of the cheaper bodies only shoot 4K from a crop of the already small sensor. I think they all have pretty decent 1080p video though, and are better wrt recording time limits than Fuji. Plus IBIS, which only the H1 and S10 Fuji models have.

If you’re just looking for 1080p content I think the EOS M50 and M6ii are both supposed to be pretty good. Not top of the line but with good motion cadence and color. (At least the higher end Canons are regarded for these qualities). Plus the sleeper Sigma 1.4 primes and 1.8 zooms represent a fantastic value compared to Fuji and a fantastic level of DoF control compared to Panasonic.

But If I was going to buy a camera for just shooting 1080p content and wanted the best and didn’t mind spending a little more for something specialized, I’d go OG BMPCC. The video that comes out of that thing just has a certain quality. Plus you can adapt all kinds of cool little 16mm cinema lenses to it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Talking to my boss and it looks like we'll be investing in a BMPCC 4k, really competitive pricing. I'll find a used M4/3 kit zoom or something for it for cheap and it'll do for now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

um excuse me posted:

Memory is cheap, hoard away.

I only take maybe 100 photos a week, but this 1000x, I have a Synology NAS and there's no way I'll ever fill the 10TB of redundant storage. Even SSD is getting crazy cheap per gb, although that's not designed to hold data for more than a couple months powered off, but makes for a great read/write cache

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Annath posted:

I use Luminar because gently caress Adobe's subscription model on principle.

It probably makes way more sense for people who shoot hundreds of photos per month, but I'm extremely hobbyist about it so I'd rather pay $60 one time.

Also, this

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm going to Svalbard in a while and zooming with your feet is not an option with polar bears so I am looking at some long glass. Someone is selling a Tamron 150-600mm F/5-6.3 near me but it's the original version. Any idea how that compares with the G2 or the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary? Either of those new is about twice the price of the used Tamron v1. With the used I suppose I can probably resell it without much loss after the trip, but more likely it's going to end up staying with me because I am horrible at offloading lenses that I rarely use.

e: I'm open to alternative suggestions for Canon mounts as well. I'll be taking either a 7D or an RP.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 10, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have the v1 150-600 and it's pretty good for the price. I had huge focus problems with it on my 80d to the point I thought the lens might be defective, but since I got the R5 it's been nailing focus fine so it's probably just the focusing systems on aging prosumer bodies that have issues. I think optically the G2 is identical, it mostly has better stabilization. The v1 stabilizing is nothing to write home about but it's not a detriment either.

My main concern is that 600mm still isn't enough for bears, especially polar bears. This is the full image at 600mm on an 80d: https://i.imgur.com/Ur4zaXy.jpg I was roughly 100 meters away and it feels like I should have had a 2x extender.

Polar bears are in the class of you better have someone with a rifle shouldered if you're 100 yards away (which any guides to Svalbard will be well aware of so I guess they'll either do what's necessary or keep you out of danger range).

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 10, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks, I might just grab the v1 then.

I'm going there on fieldwork and apart from carrying rifles AFAIK usual protocol on seeing a bear in the distance is to retreat until you can no longer see a bear in the distance. If I get any decent shots I expect they'll be from the boat (where good IS would be helpful), but either way the longest lens I have now is 250mm so I'd like to give myself the best chance of getting bear and walrus pics.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I have a hard time thinking you could beat the price. Hopefully you can test it out before you go. The general recommendation for that lens is to not shoot wide open, it’s a little sharper stopped down to /7.1 or 8. The IS is pretty decent but I got a better keeper rate when on a tripod (probably obvious).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doing fieldwork in Svalbard sounds like a heap of fun so if you got some room in your luggage I'll cram myself into it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Haha, I just shipped a bunch of equipment up there. If you don't mind taking the trip by sea we could easily have freighted another Zarges box with some air holes. Svalbard is actually surprisingly accessible considering how far north it is, the flights from Norway aren't even particularly expensive. I've been once before but it was during the polar night so the light wasn't ideal and winter trips out of town involve a fair bit of planning. This time I'm looking forward to being able to just go out hiking with a couple friends and a rifle.

I've arranged to try out the used lens this week, thanks for the votes of confidence.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I got an X-T4 and a 16-55mm lens and had a BlackRapid Cross Shot Breathe strap included in the order. I've been trying it and the default Fuji strap a bit, and I'm not fully convinced by either.

I like how the BlackRapid connects to the bottom so it hangs with the lens down, and that I can slide it across the strap. I don't like how the entire mechanism (connection ring, carabiner) is so bulky, and rather convoluted to attach & detach. The extra safety tether (which I do want to use for the security) makes it even worse. And the rubber part that goes over my shoulder seems too big as well.

As for the Fuji strap, I like how it's far less bulky and more light. It's rather short though, and I can't attach it to the bottom of the camera. And attaching or removing it takes like a calendar year.

So, any recommendations for something that combines the best of both?

Something that attaches to the bottom, not too bulky, easy to attach/detach but still secure?

(I've seen the Peak Design ones but I'm not entirely convinced.)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

uXs posted:

I got an X-T4 and a 16-55mm lens and had a BlackRapid Cross Shot Breathe strap included in the order. I've been trying it and the default Fuji strap a bit, and I'm not fully convinced by either.

I like how the BlackRapid connects to the bottom so it hangs with the lens down, and that I can slide it across the strap. I don't like how the entire mechanism (connection ring, carabiner) is so bulky, and rather convoluted to attach & detach. The extra safety tether (which I do want to use for the security) makes it even worse. And the rubber part that goes over my shoulder seems too big as well.

As for the Fuji strap, I like how it's far less bulky and more light. It's rather short though, and I can't attach it to the bottom of the camera. And attaching or removing it takes like a calendar year.

So, any recommendations for something that combines the best of both?

Something that attaches to the bottom, not too bulky, easy to attach/detach but still secure?

(I've seen the Peak Design ones but I'm not entirely convinced.)

Peak Designs is great if you want to swap straps out easily. I also use their handgrip on my G9 and it rules.

If you you want a strap that can be either a sling or a long neck strap get one of these:

https://www.dsptch.com/collections/straps/products/quick-adjust-camera-sling-strap-1

I use it on my x100f, since you are rocking the 16-55mm you might want to consider the 1.5" model but either way it's a great minimalist strap.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hey goons, I need advice on what digital camera to get for my partner. Neither of us have used anything but phone cameras for probably 10+ years so we know nothing about any of this. She wants something that will work well as both a still and video camera, ideally mirrorless. We don't know much about lenses so I have no idea there, beyond that I think she may want the flexibility to switch out lenses.

She'll mostly be using it to take pictures and video of dogs, she's pretty involved in dog sports and dog agility in particular, so it'd be nice to have something that can take video of running dogs without much hassle. Doesn't need to be professional-grade by any means, just as good as or a little better than a phone camera.

She's also been dabbling in video editing, and there's a world where she might start filming some stuff for work (mostly short fixed-angle stuff, but likely with so-so lighting).

Any suggestions? We were originally thinking $1000 USD or less, though a friend said we may have more options if we're open to spending somewhere closer to $1300-1400 after getting a case, batteries, etc etc. Same friend suggested a Sony Alpha a6400 with a 55-210mm lens.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey goons, I need advice on what digital camera to get for my partner.

I’ll let others comment on the specifics of that sony camera and lens, but they are probably fine. I just want to make sure you know that sports photography is probably the most expensive type of photography to buy equipment for. Long lenses that freeze motion are, by necessity, bigger, heavier and more expensive, compared to lenses with more moderate focal lengths.

How far away from the dogs with your partner be? Can you give an example of a photo they’d like to take, and tell us how far from the dog they would be to take that photo? That would give a sense for how long a focal length is needed for the lens.

I’d look into a setup with two lenses. A standard zoom (18-55 or so, like the kit lens most cameras come with) and a longer lens for the dog sports to zoom in (100-400, or maybe 70-200 depending on distance). I only know canon stuff, but you could get a used Tamron or Sigma 100-400mm-class for maybe $500-600. If you get a single lens that covers the whole range (medium wide out to medium long) it will not be as good at freezing motion, but it would certainly be cheaper. So think maybe <=$600 for a camera+kit lens, and $800 for a sports lens, and I think you’d have something you’d be very happy with.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The a6100 and a6400 are very similar, besides weather sealing and an af/mf switch it is seems to mostly be software side customization stuff, worth taking a look at anyway. Neither have in body stabilization.

The sony kit lens do not have a good reputation. They offer some good apsc lenses, but they tend to be very pricey and the more affordable ones tend to be pretty underwhelming, but sony e-mount is really well supported by third parties. Sigma offers a trio of apsc f1.4 prime lenses, and there are lots of reasonably priced full frame lenses too.

The fuji x-s10 is a good hybrid photo/video camera, and the fuji system is the best developed and supported apsc system (from fuji themselves, there is some third party support but nothing like sony e mount). Has in body stabilization which is pretty new for fuji in this price range. Both kit lens options (18-55mm and 16-80mm) they offer with it are a step up in terms of quality.

Micro four thirds cameras are worth considering as well, especially if you are comfortable buying used. Lots of lens choices from two first party companies, olympus and panasonic. The e-m1 ii/e-m5 iii have good image stabilization/phase detect autofocus for shooting without a tripod. The panasonics use contrast detect autofocus, but the g9 has got a lot of video related updates that make it pretty capable.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm going back into office twice a week starting tomorrow and that means I'll be in downtown Detroit again regularly. I'm looking at photo backpacks that include a laptop sleeve for a 15" laptop and have narrowed it down to the Wandrd PRVKE and the Peak Design Everyday Backpack, specifically the 20L/21L sizes. Do you all think that 20-21L will be good enough to house a Canon 6D Mk II w/ a 24-70 F/4L and whatever zoom I end up buying? There's a good deal on the PRVKE v1 right now that I'm debating jumping on, but keep second guessing if the 6D MkII will fit well into the smaller size.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

big scary monsters posted:

polar bears
Tamron 150-600mm F/5-6.3
Canon RP
Update to my long lens hunt: I tried out the lens and unfortunately it didn't work correctly with my camera. Apparently it needs a firmware update to be compatible with the RF series bodies and it can't be done at the local camera store but needs to go back to Tamron. The only other similar used lens I can find at the moment is the Sigma DG 150-500 mm 1:5-6,3 APO HSM, which isn't listed as RF compatible with Sigma and so presumably also needs a firmware update, if there is one available. There are a couple of Canon RF 600 F/11s about but I feel like a slow, fixed 600mm is pretty inflexible unless you're sat with a tripod in a hide or something. Might end up having to buy something new instead.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I’m not sure if “incompatible “ means doesn’t work at all or just that the af won’t be fast enough to reach the advertised fps of the body?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
On the Tamron I got no AF at all, and every couple of shots I'd get an error message that the lens and body couldn't communicate, so I'd have to turn the camera off and on. However the aperture control was OK, and the shots it did work the lens metadata came across fine.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 15, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It might just be a bad copy of the lens and is a good reason not to buy it. Sounds like bad electronics to me.

My copy of that lens works perfect on my R5.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Huh, that's good to know. If I find another copy of the lens I'll at least give it a try then. Either way I told the guy no thanks on this one and will keep looking.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Bluth posted:

One catalogue. Everything goes in it. Half-arsed pruning. Token keywording once in a blue moon. Photos from 2013 that I've still never properly gone through

gently caress yes

now I have my 7D rather than 350D I simply don’t have the space to keep everything so I flag picks and delete the rest. am I going to delete something that maybe I would have wished I hadn’t? maybe but I won’t know.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If you can point me somewhere better, do so.

Is there an alternative to GoPro I should be looking at? We have some at work and I dont find them very good all around. Need it for some underwater recording.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

If you can point me somewhere better, do so.

Is there an alternative to GoPro I should be looking at? We have some at work and I dont find them very good all around. Need it for some underwater recording.

What do you not like about it? Which one is it? Go-Pro is the "bog standard" action cam, and there's lots of versions and flavors of those versions White, Silver, Black (which is level not color)
Go-Pro is the "bog standard" for action cams.

Here's your contenders for action cams
Go-Pro: Generally the Leader
DJI Osmo action: Decent, well priced, aged but a decent contender.
Akaso Brave 7: Best quality "budget" one, will not match up to the others.
The rest: tons of goproalikes, from 25 dollars and up all of which will have quality based on their pricepoint.

Underwater capabilities vary on version and model, some are waterproof out of the box with varying depths, some may require a housing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont think the ones we have were used all that much, they are Hero 8 blacks. The battery seems poo poo and will drop huge chunks nearly instantly on the status indicator. App and installing firmware updates can be finnicky which I dont want from something of this price point.

I'm looking at the Brave 7 LE but its being stupid about shipping to my location on amazon. And if I try to buy direct from their site it says its out of stock for Canada.

They use the Heros primarily under water, its not all that deep and not for that long but I guess even though its not 30 minutes straight, I guess it might be 30 minutes over the course of an hour? Thats all just rough assumptions. But one got stuck in a boot loop, I plugged it in for a while then when I picked it up it was nearly on fire, its all bubbled up around the lens and it loving stinks. This is all their fault here though as I think they kept trying to use it after the battery door wouldn't close correctly. Nearly $40 CAD replacement for that little thing, that kinda stuff sours me on the brand as well. If the battery door is $40 then it shouldn't even be available to purchase separately unless you were to lose it because it should be invincible

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I went with the DJI Osmo over the 8 for the following reasons:
Gopro 8 Does NOT have a removable / replaceable lense cover standard. (The 7 does, the 9 does the 8 does not have that feature and it's supid)
The DJI osmo battery itself is waterproof, it's got all of the seals on itself so no worrying about if the door is closed / broken etc. The osmo is only waterproof without a special housing to ~30ft so keep that in mind as welll.
DJI osmo can be had on amazon for 199 w/ second battery, so quite a bit of savings over the Gopro 8/9 blacks.

I can't say much about the battery life for video recording, mine gets plopped on a bike and does the time-lapse 1frame every sec shot stuff, it runs for about 2 hours / battery on that mode.
I have used it for some video and it seems to work well. I had it on the back of a boat facing some tubers and got at lest I'd say 30 mins of filming or more on the single battery.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

A lot of that sounds like old, abused devices, but action cams are a big list of compromises: 60-90 min of video recording is pretty standard, as is getting pretty hot while running, that's just sort of the price you pay for the form factor. But, yeah, like tater said, GoPros are generally the best all-around -- not necessarily the best at any one thing, but last I checked nobody makes a camera that's a better whole package -- but if you don't need the whole package you can save some :20bux: with the competitors

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm looking for an easy way to carry my X100s while backpacking and while I like the idea of the Peak capture clip, I'm kind of surprised no one else has made a cheap version of it.

Any suggestions for something similar or even a completely different idea I haven't thought of? I'd rather not just loop it around my neck all day if possible.

Edit: I keep finding older articles showing off knockoffs of the peak clip but apparently they're all dead now.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 27, 2021

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Gun holster. Pew pew pew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm looking for an easy way to carry my X100s while backpacking and while I like the idea of the Peak capture clip, I'm kind of surprised no one else has made a cheap version of it.

Any suggestions for something similar or even a completely different idea I haven't thought of? I'd rather not just loop it around my neck all day if possible.

Edit: I keep finding older articles showing off knockoffs of the peak clip but apparently they're all dead now.

What about a lil' waist pack but around front?

That, or a small camera bag like a Domke F8 (i'm partial to the waxed canvas option): https://tiffen.com/products/domke-f-8-small-shoulder-bag-ruggedwear