Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pastry of the Year posted:

This is a good vibes thread, buddy :toughguy:

It made me lol which is a good vibe, so who's to say if it's bad or good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

this is something awfful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFN3fTG9Yek

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

The Bloop posted:

It made me lol which is a good vibe, so who's to say if it's bad or good

Yeah, randomly flaming someone is part of why the forums are good. Especially the real story length insults where you start to get a sense of some deep lore.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

down1nit posted:

Yeah, randomly flaming someone is part of why the forums are good. Especially the real story length insults where you start to get a sense of some deep lore.

Yeah, that wasn't randomly flaming me. Some of us have made friends in our years of posting here, and friends can flame each other with no hard feelings

You should try making some

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Avalloc saved my life. I don’t know if he posts on forums proper but I met him through Goonfleet Logistics. I was not doing well in the 2000’s, severely alcoholic and burning through multiple runs of anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. During one of alcohol fueled breakdowns online, Avalloc reached out to me and gave me his personal phone number. I called him and he proceeded to talk me out of my spiral.

Avalloc is confined to a wheelchair, I believe he suffered from Multiple Sclerosis (or something similar). My problems of my own making are nothing compared to the struggles forced on him. And yet he still took the risk and reached out to me.

Thank you Avalloc. 13 years sober

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

HAmbONE posted:

Avalloc saved my life. I don’t know if he posts on forums proper but I met him through Goonfleet Logistics. I was not doing well in the 2000’s, severely alcoholic and burning through multiple runs of anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. During one of alcohol fueled breakdowns online, Avalloc reached out to me and gave me his personal phone number. I called him and he proceeded to talk me out of my spiral.

Avalloc is confined to a wheelchair, I believe he suffered from Multiple Sclerosis (or something similar). My problems of my own making are nothing compared to the struggles forced on him. And yet he still took the risk and reached out to me.

Glad you're still here, goon

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

HAmbONE posted:

He is probably still alive depending on the type of MS. (Not a doctor.)

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Not any one instance, necessarily, but the forums have been a real help to me getting through a lot of bad times. Case in point, my mother fell today and broke both legs and SA really helps me "get away" from things for a bit. These forums wouldn't be what they are without everyone that has ever ponied up :10bux: and I thank you all for making this place what it is, warts and all.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Marcade posted:

Not any one instance, necessarily, but the forums have been a real help to me getting through a lot of bad times. Case in point, my mother fell today and broke both legs and SA really helps me "get away" from things for a bit. These forums wouldn't be what they are without everyone that has ever ponied up :10bux: and I thank you all for making this place what it is, warts and all.
I hope she is ok! :sympathy: Modern medicine in excellent at the repair of and rehabilitation from broken bones.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Aww, thanks. She should be fine, biggest problem will likely be the rehab stay (probably 6 to 10 weeks according to the surgeon). Maybe I should suggest LSD instead? (wait, wrong rehab)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Marcade posted:

Aww, thanks. She should be fine, biggest problem will likely be the rehab stay (probably 6 to 10 weeks according to the surgeon). Maybe I should suggest LSD instead? (wait, wrong rehab)

still worth a try, imo

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Marcade posted:

Next time you visit her you should ask her "My N***A have you ever tried LSD"?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Next time you visit her you should ask her "My N***A have you ever tried LSD"?

You can just say fella if you're white, it still fits the rhyme scheme

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

You can just say fella if you're white, it still fits the rhyme scheme

Wait, white people aren't allowed to say "ninja" anymore? :(

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I was wondering why he was redacting "Nanna".

E: mother. Me no read good with no sleep.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
My nanna.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

wheatpuppy posted:

Wait, white people aren't allowed to say "ninja" anymore? :(

No lie I thought this was a "how do you say gif" type situation so I just stayed away

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
SA has definitely given me human interaction at times in my life when it's lacking elsewhere. No matter where I go, it's been here for me, since I was in high school. Obviously good for laughs but it also has been a place where I can vent or write out my thoughts. I go back and forth between being pretty active (like right now) and ignoring the forums completely. I think taking breaks helps me appreciate it more in a way. I definitely went through a really tough time a couple years back and i felt pretty alone, it was nice to have a space with like minded people that I could turn to. I don't know if SA saved my life but it certainly has helped me which is more than I can say about most of the internet.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

not sure if I told this story, but I am pretty sure goons saved my life a few times in the span of a couple days when I had a complete breakdown. I got talked down from a panic state I don't know how many times. I remember 2, but there are large gaps in my memory that chat logs say things happened in.

And it all happened in a goon discord started because of Turtlicious' meltdown

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Thank you all for sharing your success stories.

Good night.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The forums have been a source of comfort to me for many years, but one small moment that sticks out right now is one time many years ago when i was 17 and dumb I was stuck in my parents' unplowed driveway and running late for work.

instead of googling or something, i made a thread in GBS and within a minute people told me how to rock my way out of it with drive/reverse and I made it to work on time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Three things:

1) I met one of my best friends in a "post your AIM name" thread :)
2) Helldump pretty much taught me, a person who has said a lot of things on the internet without really thinking about how personal they are and/or should remain, the concept of TMI
3) LF taught me that leftism is not the complete and utter worst thing in the universe, and opened my mind to a world beyond Republicans & Democrats

A semi-fourth thing: reading megathreads from page 1 that are SO BIG and SO ACTIVE that I'll basically never be able to catch up with them has been a staple of my commutes for a very, very long time.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Remember something awful survivor that was advertised here about two, three months ago? I applied to it on a whim, managed to get in, and bumbled my way to the last two weeks of playing before getting voted out. During the game I found out that my dad had cancer and the fellow participants and mods were sympathetic. I also ended my long time relationship near the end of the game and everyone was really supportive. I don't think I would have managed the 48 hours after the breakup well at all had I not had such a good folks on my side.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Re covid ,A few months ago I was checking in on the austhread and someone mentioned that my state had opened up vaccine registration to all comers instead of following the previous (failing) plan. This transitional period had not been well advertised at all

I quickly followed the link and informed my partner as well and we both managed to be fully Pfizer vacc'ed before my country shat the bed and realised they didn't have the supply/logistical know how to sustain this rate of vaccination

I work in a 1000+ student school and my exposure risk non-negligible, managing to get vaccinated asap has removed so much stress from my day to day and well worth the 10bux

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Since I last posted in this thread, I got diagnosed with a giant loving tumor and two separate goons helped pay for my medicine so I literally wouldn't die as an uninsured moron. I'm on insurance now and my job's started back up but I am so loving thankful that goons, very literally, saved my life. I genuinely don't know where I'd be without these dumb gay forums. :unsmith:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

After spending too much time (e.g: more than a minute) on Reddit and certain other places online, the posting and content quality on SA is massively higher. The forums are pleasantly free of the "edginess" and lame puns you tend to get elsewhere. A one-time payment to post really does keep out the Nazi trash, or seems to. I wish I hadn't held back so long from biting the bullet and just paying the ten bucks years ago, honestly.

SA is also partly responsible for my turn to the left over the past couple of years. I would not have discovered the online left without the forums.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Jul 23, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
My posting probably initially tapered off as my Facebook use grew; my friends were all in a now kind of user friendly asynchronous forum (that wasn't blocked for "violence" by my work) - hooray! How could this go wrong? I'm not sure when I gave up on SA after joining in 2004, but I'd guess probably around 2011/2012. Browsing the forums wasn't really something I wanted to do with my time now I lived with a partner and had adult commuting and poo poo.

Last year, I gave up Facebook which has become a total mess, weaponising everyone's worst impulses against each other. Twitter always seemed to that even more nakedly, Tumblr was cool to browse but not interact with and while Reddit has pockets of okayness for niche hobbies and interests, it's otherwise toxic. My mental health was ravaged by doomer irony poisoning. I came back here because I still wanted a community that could indulge my hunger for shitposting without it infecting my remaining normie accounts and breaking my brain - one thing I love about here is that there's no weaponised serotonin pings.

I found the forums had changed a lot, but for the better. Lowtax was on his way out, everyone was still funny, but there's more kindness and less churlish nihlism here now. Sure, it's a lot smaller but I think that makes people act more accountably. Anyway, Something Awful Classic might have been partially responsible for my initial irony poisoning, but that would likely have happened anyway. What I do know is that it's been instrumental in detoxifying myself.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My grandfather is 91 and doesn’t post much but with the pandemic, he doesn’t get out much and- he’s been enjoying lurking on this site (and finally got up the guts to post in the MilHist thread). It’s some outside world contact that’s not all algorithm stuff like Facebook is.

I keep telling him to post in PYF.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My grandfather is 91 and doesn’t post much but with the pandemic, he doesn’t get out much and- he’s been enjoying lurking on this site (and finally got up the guts to post in the MilHist thread). It’s some outside world contact that’s not all algorithm stuff like Facebook is.

I keep telling him to post in PYF.

This rules

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jordan7hm posted:

This rules

My mom also lurks/posts here for the soccer subforum. She loves the idea of a site where you can talk to people without Facebook’s algorithms deciding what you see.

HGB got her to join when she was helping me with the Drunk History podcast.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome
Back 2018 I was at a job that had turned on me and I hated it and it hated me. I live overseas and it seemed like my homeland had gone completely off the rails and it seemed like no one cared and that was just the new normal. I felt like I was taking crazy pills. One day at work, where I had to appear busy but had no actual work to do because of insane business practices, I checked in on my old forums account that I probably hadn't really had a look at in 9 or 10 years. Every so often I would log in to keep from being purged or whatever but I didn't really know what was going on at SA.

I was actually shocked when I discovered that there were a lot of smart, vocal people with political and social opinions that I agreed with. It made me realize that the whole world had not gone insane (part of it had, but not all of it) and it really made me feel a lot better about a lot of things.

And while I'm on the subject, the fact that SA and Fark still exist has given me a sort of enthusiasm for the antique web so I do a lot of digging around for things that still work from the era when the internet was still good and cool.

Now I'm just sort of a half-active lurker again but it makes me feel good that this site is still up and that the world isn't full of just lovely people.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't think it's 'saved my life', specifically, but SA is like what keeps me tethered online. I truly don't feel like I belong anywhere else online, and I have no idea what my online life would be like without this place.

I mean, you could say I'd be online less, but no. It's 2021. We're all on the internet all the time, and I'm glad I have this place.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm trippin balls on LSD right now, got in a dark place for a minute, and my first fuckin' thought was "go look at the #blessed pics thread" (mmm, kitties. all good now)

And then to come over here and thank y'all. Because these forums have helped so many, including myself. I could go on, but, uh, yeah, drugs. In fact I should take a sxier, if anyone's feeling up to it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
I've got my current job partly because I read the Terrible Programmer thread in YOSPOS on the regular.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I might have mentioned it in this thread before, but when the pandemic hit and no one could get masks, I started making masks because I'm a quilter and had a fabric stash. I ended up selling hundreds of masks to goons and once the protests started after George Floyd's murder, I started donating my proceeds to various bail funds, the NAACP, etc. It kept me occupied and made me feel like I was actually doing something during a very scary, uncertain time.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I might have mentioned it in this thread before, but when the pandemic hit and no one could get masks, I started making masks because I'm a quilter and had a fabric stash. I ended up selling hundreds of masks to goons and once the protests started after George Floyd's murder, I started donating my proceeds to various bail funds, the NAACP, etc. It kept me occupied and made me feel like I was actually doing something during a very scary, uncertain time.

This is very cool :unsmith:

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Almost 8 years ago I started hanging out with a group of mostly goons to play board games. We're still doing it today and through it I've made some amazing friends. Tonight some of them apropos of nothing mentioned how appreciative they are of the effort I put to organizing things and it was super touching and lifted my spirits more than pretty much anything in the last couple hell-years. They are a group of really great people and I am so happy that SA brought us together.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

SA has helped me not take politics quite so seriously since I joined. I still worry and rage over it, often when I'm catching up on politics threads I follow here. The last four or five years has given me lots of material for that, as we all know. But reading threads where people make fun of fash-y politicians and cartoonists has helped me develop more of a sense of humor instead of just despairing all the time.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

SA has helped me not take politics quite so seriously since I joined. I still worry and rage over it, often when I'm catching up on politics threads I follow here. The last four or five years has given me lots of material for that, as we all know. But reading threads where people make fun of fash-y politicians and cartoonists has helped me develop more of a sense of humor instead of just despairing all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yep, that's definitely a big part of it!