Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Runcible Cat posted:

For purposes of decision making is that (more exciting) policies or more (exciting policies)?

bottle banks!

schemes for the children where the children can learn to be good citizens and can play exciting games together such as hide-and-gan-seek and that! hooray, hooray, oh what happy day, the children will say :allears:

all cruise ships to be renamed "the diarrhea princess"

all cars to be fitted with all-round rubber safety bumpers

and several more!

https://twitter.com/TranslatedCats/status/1419589223296999430

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Can't talk about PSAs without bringing up Staplerfahrer Klaus.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

crispix posted:

bottle banks!

schemes for the children where the children can learn to be good citizens and can play exciting games together such as hide-and-gan-seek and that! hooray, hooray, oh what happy day, the children will say :allears:

all cruise ships to be renamed "the diarrhea princess"

all cars to be fitted with all-round rubber safety bumpers

and several more!

https://twitter.com/TranslatedCats/status/1419589223296999430

The Khajiit are many and varied. But all have wares if you have coin.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Final Destination has nothing on 1970s British public information films.

The one I remember most vividly was the railway one with teams of kids hurling colour-coded stones at a passing train, and the driver with blood gushing from his eyes. Then all the kids march into a tunnel as a train comes in at the other end, and they're brought out on stretchers, dead. :stare:

Even the posters aimed at infants were terrifying. Frogbean, I'm looking at you.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/bywirenews/status/1420046188863238156?s=19

PASOKificiation is at an advanced level.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Extremely happy to hear this. Now more unions should follow.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This has always been my favourite, sadly in poo poo quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lQQwSaRR_4

I never noticed that the guy from PhoneShop was in it though.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

forkboy84 posted:

Extremely happy to hear this. Now more unions should follow.

Stick a fork in labour at this point.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I *think* that's just the London branch passing a motion to withdraw their funding from individual MPs and one off contributions to the party, not the whole union withdrawing financing and/or disaffiliating but I can't actually find a clear citation.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I *think* that's just the London branch passing a motion to withdraw their funding from individual MPs and one off contributions to the party, not the whole union withdrawing financing and/or disaffiliating but I can't actually find a clear citation.

https://www.gmb.org.uk/news/gmb-pulls-funding-labour-party-london-after-grieving-caretaker-sacked has more details but still isn't actually clear on what funding is being removed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

This has always been my favourite, sadly in poo poo quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lQQwSaRR_4

I never noticed that the guy from PhoneShop was in it though.

This definitely scared me off ever pretending that the table in the pub was a car. I used to like making the brum-brum-vroom-vroom noises after a few pints and all

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

Even the posters aimed at infants were terrifying. Frogbean, I'm looking at you.
Poor Frogbean, got hit by a train and became an alt-right meme.

If you want to grow up, never go on chans.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

isn't gmb a fairly melty union (however it's the one all the labour staff are in?)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It was the one that ended with a guy in a vegetative state being spoonfed green/yellow mush that got me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't that just an Angel Delight advert?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.gmb.org.uk/news/gmb-pulls-funding-labour-party-london-after-grieving-caretaker-sacked has more details but still isn't actually clear on what funding is being removed.

Yeah it sounds like it's a very local thing. I also cannot understand what the cleaner was sacked for.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Payndz posted:

Final Destination has nothing on 1970s British public information films.

A lot of the scenes in Final Destination were like a Rube Goldberg Machine of death, but some of them would fit perfectly as one of those public info films. Like when the girl is distracted shouting at someone else and then a lorry hits her.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Party Boat posted:

Yeah it sounds like it's a very local thing. I also cannot understand what the cleaner was sacked for.

From my reading I think he shared a video which had accidentally caught a shot of an Islington Labour councillor in her home.
He took it down immediately, but they still sacked him.
I stand to be corrected though on this!

Scary information videos:

Network Rail did some scary ones about level crossings but that was bout 15-20 years ago now! (Can't believe how time has flown!) but anyway, I found this more recent one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTgoHMx9QYE

minema
May 31, 2011
Can you be a member of two unions at once? I'm a member of the specific professional body for physiotherapy but politically they're pretty poo poo, can I join a bigger, more general union as well?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

From my reading I think he shared a video which had accidentally caught a shot of an Islington Labour councillor in her home.
He took it down immediately, but they still sacked him.
I stand to be corrected though on this!

Scary information videos:

Network Rail did some scary ones about level crossings but that was bout 15-20 years ago now! (Can't believe how time has flown!) but anyway, I found this more recent one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTgoHMx9QYE

Ah okay, the sharing of it was what I missed, for some reason I thought he was just in the video

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Some of those films were more terrifying than others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddNr7rebaQo

EDIT - this was always a favourite of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd6AW07TLpU

That poor 1100

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

minema posted:

Can you be a member of two unions at once? I'm a member of the specific professional body for physiotherapy but politically they're pretty poo poo, can I join a bigger, more general union as well?

No reason at all you can't be a member of multiple unions - I think quite a few posters ITT are in both trade-specific unions and the IWW/IWGB.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

isn't gmb a fairly melty union (however it's the one all the labour staff are in?)

GMB is *extremely* melty in general but they spearheaded the Uber and Pimlico Plumbers cases so at least meet the very bare minimum level of what a union is supposed to do. They've also been the main force behind the anti fire-and-rehire stuff and I really wish they'd help Kieth And Ko find out now they've decided to gently caress around with that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don’t know if it was shown on TV but there was a safety film we got shown at school where some boy playing on the train tracks fell on the live rail and his leg set on fire (off-screen) with smoke pouring off it and screaming

I was absolutely terrified of getting trains in general for years and years and wouldn’t go anywhere near the edge of the platform

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Spirit of The Dark and Lonely Water is real and cool, and he is my Friend

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Were they the one person on 70s children's TV that didn't turn out to be a nonce?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Were they the one person on 70s children's TV that didn't turn out to be a nonce?

Hard to say what he does with the bodies (he does get lonely)

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 27, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We had to cross some very crude level crossing down a footpath to cut about 20 mins and a massive hill out of our walk to school, and after those stupid videos the school banned everyone from walking that way - worst part was your parents couldn’t sneak you down because the deputy head lived overlooking it and would rat you out.

Looking back this story is insane and I have no idea why every adult involved didn’t simply tell them to bugger off.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
See one advantage of growing up in the middle of London was we avoided most of these terrifying PIFs and talks (although I too was one of those kids who watched them at silly o'clock waiting for the Wide Awake Club to start) - no pylons, no level crossings, and I guess they assumed as we were all far too filthy to have cleaning products under the sink we never even got warned about The Forbidden Lemonade.

Conversely we *did* get PC Rainbow of Thames Division (weird how a name like that sticks in your head, innit?) in about every three months to tell us that yet another kid had died swimming in the docks or the river and that we should probably just make our peace with God if we ever got within a hundred metres of anything bigger than a puddle. Also until 1984 we had at least two assemblies a year about what to do if the flood warning sirens went off and we weren't at school or home (get in any building taller than 2 stories and head up - as our school was only one floor I always wondered what the plan was if we were there).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

See one advantage of growing up in the middle of London was we avoided most of these terrifying PIFs and talks (although I too was one of those kids who watched them at silly o'clock waiting for the Wide Awake Club to start) - no pylons, no level crossings, and I guess they assumed as we were all far too filthy to have cleaning products under the sink we never even got warned about The Forbidden Lemonade.

Conversely we *did* get PC Rainbow of Thames Division (weird how a name like that sticks in your head, innit?) in about every three months to tell us that yet another kid had died swimming in the docks or the river and that we should probably just make our peace with God if we ever got within a hundred metres of anything bigger than a puddle. Also until 1984 we had at least two assemblies a year about what to do if the flood warning sirens went off and we weren't at school or home (get in any building taller than 2 stories and head up - as our school was only one floor I always wondered what the plan was if we were there).

Bold of you to assume there was a plan beyond "tick the box about the flood talk" twice a year.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
We saw the building site Apaches and it scared the poo poo out of me. At one point a huge machine runs over a kid and you see just his bloody shoe left and the strong implication was that even if the driver sees you, he won't care because 'Time is money to these machines'. Also a kid electrocutes himself while grabbing for a handhold and getting a wire. And a kid falls into a pit and leaves gore streaked on the edge. I think this kid chased his dog into the site.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I finally took the plunge and bought a bike! A Giant hybrid. Got the man in the shop to show me how to remove and then reattach the front wheel so I could drive it home. Now I've got it home, reattached the front wheel, and somehow now the front linear pull brake is super loose and it doesn't work and welp back to the shop for me. Being a complete amateur in anything is super embarrassing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Forbidden Lemonade
I've got Formidable Marinade stuck in my head now, which may well be a PSA about Melbourne.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The Perfect Element posted:

I finally took the plunge and bought a bike! A Giant hybrid. Got the man in the shop to show me how to remove and then reattach the front wheel so I could drive it home. Now I've got it home, reattached the front wheel, and somehow now the front linear pull brake is super loose and it doesn't work and welp back to the shop for me. Being a complete amateur in anything is super embarrassing.

Post a picture, my guess is you've unhooked the cable from one of the mounts and it just needs to hook back in.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Bold of you to assume there was a plan beyond "tick the box about the flood talk" twice a year.

Tower Hamlets are kind of an outlier in London councils because they actually take the civil defence and disaster planning bits of their remit fairly seriously, if only because thanks to continual unearthing of unopened presents from the Luftwaffe they got lots and lots of chances to rehearse them. It continues to this day - I think I mentioned it before but half of the camp beds that survivors of Grenfell Tower were sleeping on the night after the fire came from LBTH because they were the only council with enough in stock to lend them.

Having said that, the flood control station for the Isle of Dogs, from which rescue efforts would be organised, was at George Green School which is at the actual lowest point in the borough and right next to the river, so maybe they weren't taking it *that* seriously. At least it had upper floors though which beat out the GLC, which had its flood control station in the Kingsway Tram Subway, a tunnel that literally runs to the river bank.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TACD posted:

I don’t know if it was shown on TV but there was a safety film we got shown at school where some boy playing on the train tracks fell on the live rail and his leg set on fire (off-screen) with smoke pouring off it and screaming

I was absolutely terrified of getting trains in general for years and years and wouldn’t go anywhere near the edge of the platform

Yeah, you were wise. There was a horrifying incident involving someone slipping between the platform and a train as it moved (he had misstepped getting on) which fortunately I did not witness but which came over the incident logs.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

serious gaylord posted:

Post a picture, my guess is you've unhooked the cable from one of the mounts and it just needs to hook back in.

That's really nice of you, serious gaylord, but I've packed it back into the car now to see if the shop can fix it! I'm worried that I've exacerbated whatever minor slip up I made in the first place, so figure it's best just to take it back to the pros and let them laugh at me and hopefully sort it out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

That's really nice of you, serious gaylord, but I've packed it back into the car now to see if the shop can fix it! I'm worried that I've exacerbated whatever minor slip up I made in the first place, so figure it's best just to take it back to the pros and let them laugh at me and hopefully sort it out.

Aww, but we wanted to laugh at you help you sort it out.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

My guess is you've got V brakes. You usually have to unhook the cable from the mount to get the brake to open up enough to release the front wheel. It won't work again until you pop it back in.

Theres literally nothing you could have done to break it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/Robritchie409/status/1420029841261350915?s=19