Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

commie kong posted:

Holy poo poo

Doubt they apply that to web browsers. Does that mean apple reads SA?

My favourite episode was getting goatse'd when the reviewer wandered into FYAD. Felt bad that they had that sprung on them. Though it was an rear end in a top hat move not giving a warning in the review comments where the screenshot was attached. (In general I mean, goatse's like an old friend to me but you can't assume that for everyone.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

pokeyman posted:

My favourite episode was getting goatse'd when the reviewer wandered into FYAD. Felt bad that they had that sprung on them. Though it was an rear end in a top hat move not giving a warning in the review comments where the screenshot was attached. (In general I mean, goatse's like an old friend to me but you can't assume that for everyone.)

Lol

How do they get past the login screen tho?

Also, has it ever been requested that public forums be available in the app without logging in? Wouldn’t help our situation here but y’know

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

commie kong posted:

Lol

How do they get past the login screen tho?

Also, has it ever been requested that public forums be available in the app without logging in? Wouldn’t help our situation here but y’know

I give them credentials for a test account. They don't post much.

I've thought about not requiring a login (except when the paywall is up, I guess), but making people pay the :10bux: for an account assuages my guilt for not faithfully implementing all the ads from the website. There may also be some App Review benefits; I worry they're more likely to reject for e.g. not supporting Sign in with Apple if the login is optional.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

pokeyman posted:

Beta link is https://testflight.apple.com/join/530cS7a7 (also in the OP) if you're interested. I would say it's generally stable, but it's possible I just know where the landmines are.

An App Store update will go out if and when I can convince the App Review team that SA having a thread about covid does not mean that Awful provides services or requires sensitive user information related to the covid pandemic, and therefore I need not be a recognized governmental entity, hospital, insurance company, non-governmental organization, or university in order to distribute Awful on the App Store.

Ask if they have stairs in Tim's house.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

pokeyman posted:

I've thought about not requiring a login (except when the paywall is up, I guess), but making people pay the :10bux: for an account assuages my guilt for not faithfully implementing all the ads from the website. There may also be some App Review benefits; I worry they're more likely to reject for e.g. not supporting Sign in with Apple if the login is optional.

b& 4 acct sharing :rip:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

On the latest TestFlight version from tonight that bug where single and double quote marks don’t appear in posts you make has cropped back up.

Test: ‘ “

E: well now I look stupid. They didn’t work in my post in the Olympic sub forum just then…

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

The first time I submitted my Windows 8.1 Awful app years ago, the Microsoft tester (when they had humans testing apps) posted straight away in GBS a picture of a flower in a random thread, getting the account immediately banned.

We ended up keeping it banned, and I added a special hook that would make it look like the account wasn’t banned and could post so they would think they posted when they didn’t.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 26, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

On the latest TestFlight version from tonight that bug where single and double quote marks don’t appear in posts you make has cropped back up.

E: well now I look stupid. They didn’t work in my post in the Olympic sub forum just then…

This is my favourite bug because I'm almost certainly responsible yet also completely baffled.

Drastic Actions posted:

The first time I submitted my Windows 8.1 Awful app years ago, the Microsoft tester (when they had humans testing apps) posted straight away in GBS a picture of a flower in a random thread, getting the account immediately banned.

We ended up keeping it banned, and I a special hook that would make it look like the account wasn’t banned and could post so they would think they posted when they didn’t.

That's amazing, I love it.

I think the only underhanded thing I've done in response to a rejection is similar: don't tell the user when their attempt to report a post fails (e.g. if they don't have platinum). Though it amuses me as a general feature, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Drastic Actions posted:

We ended up keeping it banned, and I added a special hook that would make it look like the account wasn’t banned and could post so they would think they posted when they didn’t.

I still have the app installed on my Xbox, lol.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

Your punctuation’s there. Simply paste any post you suspect may contain punctuation into a character encoding website and you’ll see

Ticket closed

Bad jokes aside, the character also didn’t appear at all in the debugger or the mobile source viewer, making me think the parser was removing it. Took far too long to realise and I only did at all cuz I pasted into vscode!

commie kong fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 26, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Unfortunately I still see duplicated smilies, even after logging out and back in (which causes the app to close)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

Unfortunately I still see duplicated smilies, even after logging out and back in (which causes the app to close)

Damnation. Well, one way it could happen was fixed, with more to come!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ZeeBoi posted:

pokeyman posted:

Damnation. Well, one way it could happen was fixed, with more to come!

FWIW, I’m also still seeing them, but I appreciate the efforts to fix it! :)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

YouTube embeds seem to have been reduced in functionality with the latest update: previously I could long-press on the video title and get "Open in Awful" and "Open in Safari" options, while now post-update I'm only getting "Copy URL" (or Cancel). Tapping on the title still does nothing.

Example video embedded via [video] tag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7B2a1YMMw4

Possibly-different behavior if embedded as just a plain [url] tag?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e7B2a1YMMw4

e: Nope the behavior is identical between the two, and I get the following menu for each:

...which reminds me: there's some elements (images and links primarily) where you can long-press them to pop up a viewer or a menu or whatever. As of... some number of app versions ago, long-pressing such elements also selects the word closest to your finger, which probably should not be happening. (This is visible in my screenshot above: the "Copy | Look Up | Speak | Share... | Spell" bubble has appeared, and if you look close you can see that the word "Powe" in the YouTube video title is highlighted, even if grayed out since the "Copy URL / Cancel" modal menu is in front.)

e2: this is all with the new (on App Store) Awful app v5.7, on an iPhone 12 Pro.

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 27, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Grace Baiting posted:

...which reminds me: there's some elements (images and links primarily) where you can long-press them to pop up a viewer or a menu or whatever. As of... some number of app versions ago, long-pressing such elements also selects the word closest to your finger, which probably should not be happening. (This is visible in my screenshot above: the "Copy | Look Up | Speak | Share... | Spell" bubble has appeared, and if you look close you can see that the word "Powe" in the YouTube video title is highlighted, even if grayed out since the "Copy URL / Cancel" modal menu is in front.)

e2: this is all with the new (on App Store) Awful app v5.7, on an iPhone 12 Pro.

This one’s an old issue but since ios15 introduces selecting and copying text within images, fixing it may break the ability to do that.

Makes it a bit of a puzzle for images. YouTube tho could be due to an update they’ve made to their embeds, tho the timing does align with the update. Will check some older builds

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was on 5.6 and it was working then saw your post so updated to 5.7 to test and the open in YouTube option did disappear. Still on ios 14.6

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Sorry, I meant the YouTube embed text selection thing. I don’t think that’s us

The open menu is something I’m looking into atm

e:

sorry all. pushing a fix for the youtube menu options to github.

i did confirm that selecting the text in youtube embeds was possible in earlier versions, tho. :shobon:

e2: A debug version built fresh from the main branch doesn’t have duplicate smileys, but the App Store version does - even after a delete and reinstall.

Duplicates are blank after deleting the app. Looks like they become dupes without images. But the debug version looks completely fine. Weird

commie kong fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 28, 2021

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Yeah the "selecting closest text when long-pressing things that are not (directly) text" behavior has been present for a fair while in Awful app -- I didn't mean to imply that it was new with v5.7!

Another bug report: the app's BYOB theme appears to reveal spoiler'd text (such as within this very post) at all times, with no way to hide such text! Other themes do not appear to share this bug.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone else's cache clear still state it cleared 0MB? Does it actually clear it and the message is wrong or does it not do anything?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Stare-Out posted:

Anyone else's cache clear still state it cleared 0MB? Does it actually clear it and the message is wrong or does it not do anything?

It does clear some cache but logging out and back in is more thorough. Doing this will crash the app, which is also known.

It has said 0mb for a while now. Used to work, but this app has been around a very long time. I had a go at sorting it once (more info here) but never got the code submission ready. It is defs on the list tho

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

commie kong posted:

It does clear some cache but logging out and back in is more thorough. Doing this will crash the app, which is also known.

It has said 0mb for a while now. Used to work, but this app has been around a very long time. I had a go at sorting it once (more info here) but never got the code submission ready. It is defs on the list tho

Good to know! It's not a huge deal but I remember it being a thing for a while now so it got me wondering if it did anything.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Potentially related to the above YouTube issues, embedded videos have the "full screen" button greyed out. Additionally, the "YouTube" thing in the bottom right that you can usually click to open the video in the YouTube app doesn't do anything except pause the video - it doesn't actually open the app at all, much less open the video in the app.

2021 iPad Pro 12.9", App Store version Awful 5.7 apparently.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

:whitewater:

I swear the only thing I broke was the longpress menu options. I did that while adding the “Save video” option for mp4s (and a fix is pending review)

If you play with the YouTube embeds a few posts up, it does appear that different ways of embedding (url vs video tags) have different controls while playing. Maybe that’s the issue

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Would an active search/filter for the thread view be a possible feature add? It would be nice to quickly pick out a given thread in my bookmarks vs scrolling through and squinting. Won’t break my heart if that isn’t feasible though.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

commie kong posted:

:whitewater:

I swear the only thing I broke was the longpress menu options. I did that while adding the “Save video” option for mp4s (and a fix is pending review)

If you play with the YouTube embeds a few posts up, it does appear that different ways of embedding (url vs video tags) have different controls while playing. Maybe that’s the issue

An example post that has an embedded video that's suffering the fate I described a couple posts up would be https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3502479&pagenumber=603&perpage=40#post448631988 which is an old as gently caress thread that i've been slowly going through.

The video there has full screen greyed out, and hitting YouTube which normally would open it in the app, does nothing. I will note I have Opener installed, but it shouldn't be doing anything unless I use it via the share menu normally I think? It's possible that's impacting at least part of it, although I don't recall this problem happening all that long and I've had Opener a long time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I dont' think I ever had that YouTube button. I always had to do it the long press way. At least for a long time. YouTube videos show up in a generic media playback box.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

shortspecialbus posted:

An example post that has an embedded video that's suffering the fate I described a couple posts up would be https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3502479&pagenumber=603&perpage=40#post448631988 which is an old as gently caress thread that i've been slowly going through.

The video there has full screen greyed out, and hitting YouTube which normally would open it in the app, does nothing. I will note I have Opener installed, but it shouldn't be doing anything unless I use it via the share menu normally I think? It's possible that's impacting at least part of it, although I don't recall this problem happening all that long and I've had Opener a long time.

Ah, thanks for the example. I can see what's happening now.

The app will convert plain youtube urls into embeds, which is what's happening to the quoted embed. When bbcode video tags are used, that will create iframes in the html, which the app leaves alone.

While converting plain urls to embeds, the youtube-nocookie.com address is used, which is the "privacy-enhanced mode": "When you turn on privacy-enhanced mode, YouTube won't store information about visitors on your website unless they play the video."

Embeds using SAs video tags use the regular youtube.com url, which provides all the playback controls you'd expect. The nocookie version doesn't, no matter what parameters you pass into the iframe.

I've tested changing the app to use youtube.com instead of nocookie-youtube.com and it does work. But I'll leave it up to the thread to decide whether that change should be made.

The nocookie version may also suppress ads, but I have no idea on that. (Update: Lol no it doesn’t)

E: Looks like nocookie also doesn’t gently caress with your recommendations

commie kong fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 29, 2021

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Warbird posted:

Would an active search/filter for the thread view be a possible feature add? It would be nice to quickly pick out a given thread in my bookmarks vs scrolling through and squinting. Won’t break my heart if that isn’t feasible though.

We can probably implement some simple thread list searches, but the hard part will be pagination. If you haven't scrolled down far enough for Awful to fetch all your bookmarks we'll only search what we did load (so usually the first page.) Getting all the threads from the backend will be slow and possibly more pageloads than we want to do if we're being kind to the site.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

commie kong posted:

Ah, thanks for the example. I can see what's happening now.

:words:

I've tested changing the app to use youtube.com instead of nocookie-youtube.com and it does work. But I'll leave it up to the thread to decide whether that change should be made.

The nocookie version may also suppress ads, but I have no idea on that. (Update: Lol no it doesn’t)

E: Looks like nocookie also doesn’t gently caress with your recommendations

I am always in favor of adding an option. I want working youtube embeds no matter how someone posted it. Solely speaking for myself, of course.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pokeyman posted:

Maybe we should talk to astral about getting the testusers hellbanned, and maybe trained to PI and DIY and such

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There are only the bottom ads on the site now, if that makes any difference.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sereri posted:

Maybe we should talk to astral about getting the testusers hellbanned, and maybe trained to PI and DIY and such

this would save pokeyman so much anguish lol

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

shortspecialbus posted:

I am always in favor of adding an option. I want working youtube embeds no matter how someone posted it. Solely speaking for myself, of course.

lol good point. I've posted this change to github for review.

E: And I pushed the below byob css update straight to main

Grace Baiting posted:

Another bug report: the app's BYOB theme appears to reveal spoiler'd text (such as within this very post) at all times, with no way to hide such text! Other themes do not appear to share this bug.

commie kong fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 29, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

So I just updated the app on my iPad and I don’t see duplicated smilies there any more. Didn’t have to log out and back in.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Thanks for taking care of these commie Kong, sorry I haven’t been around to squish some bugs but I’m trying to get back to it soon

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

pokeyman posted:

In what way? Remove them entirely from the page? Prevent them from being quoted?

Just like totally hide posts from ignored users instead of seeing the “user ignored, click to see” placeholder posts.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ve noticed this bug that might be well known but I don’t follow the thread, so here goes: I’ve notice that when I’m in the newest page of a thread and click a quoted post to try to get to that original post, if a new post has been made in the meantime the page will just show that new post and ignores the fact that I clicked on a link to an earlier one. Even if I load previous posts then try clicking on the quoted post link again the same thing happens. That link will only work if I reload the page.

Hope that makes sense.

E- I’m on an 8 plus with latest iOS and awful test version

Snowy fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 31, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

carry on then posted:

Thanks for taking care of these commie Kong, sorry I haven’t been around to squish some bugs but I’m trying to get back to it soon

:cheers:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

commie kong posted:

E: And I pushed the below byob css update straight to main
:hellyeah:

Snowy posted:

I’ve noticed this bug that might be well known but I don’t follow the thread, so here goes: I’ve notice that when I’m in the newest page of a thread and click a quoted post to try to get to that original post, if a new post has been made in the meantime the page will just show that new post and ignores the fact that I clicked on a link to an earlier one. Even if I load previous posts then try clicking on the quoted post link again the same thing happens. That link will only work if I reload the page.

Hope that makes sense.

E- I’m on an 8 plus with latest iOS and awful test version
Oh yeah I've definitely been having this as well (I think others have tried to describe this before although missing some of the details).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

oh random feature request can we have an in-page search. not using the forums search function just searching the current page of posts you have loaded like what you could do in a web browser.