Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flopsy posted:

What gently caress is with this right wing angle democratic women are secretly trying to kill themselves to ruin the country? They applied this to AOC concerning Jan 6th as well. I mean I know their logic is absolute bugfuck but what the hell is this poo poo?

"Well y'see kids the big plan was to be dragged out of my office and drawn and quartered by a frothing crowd of patriots and that would solidify our hold over the country." *Takes a bracing shot of Fat Margaret*

The point is to get their base to associate them with bad thing, it's just less effective than with Clinton because they did it for two decades straight

The logic doesn't matter because they will never put thought beyond it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TulliusCicero posted:

The GOP/ Evangelicals are that Doomsday cult that's the villain trying to summon a Lord of Hell or Demon Lord in a DnD campaign, but somehow real

Lmao yes. These guys are something villains out of a fantasy novel but real and the real shock is people go along with them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

ACAB and everything, but I don't think that's what happened on 1/6, especially given they basically attempted to lynch at least two of the officers before even entering the Capitol.

Officers calmly posed for selfies and appeared to open gates for protesters during the madness of the Capitol building insurrection

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

How many of these wierd upstart right media companies are there?

I figured Fox would utterly dominate the marketshare on that side of the aisle, or is Fox "liberal" now?

Fox was marked as liberal on November 4, 2020 at 12:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, when they called Arizona for Biden.

https://twitter.com/WardDPatrick/status/1323842773087330305?s=20

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Fox is liberal because Chris Wallace occasionally asks GOP members "hard" questions and they occasionally let a couple Democrats on to the talk shows that have like 8 Republicans sitting around a table.

That Arizona thing, too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flopsy posted:

What gently caress is with this right wing angle democratic women are secretly trying to kill themselves to ruin the country? They applied this to AOC concerning Jan 6th as well. I mean I know their logic is absolute bugfuck but what the hell is this poo poo?

"Well y'see kids the big plan was to be dragged out of my office and drawn and quartered by a frothing crowd of patriots and that would solidify our hold over the country." *Takes a bracing shot of Fat Margaret*
When a fascist tells a ludicrous lie it is not because they want people to believe the lie. Its because they want people to doubt the truth. To question the entire process. If the other side has the truth, the fascist turns the entire process into a circus. They act in naked political bad faith, with open contempt for reality. Because if half of what someone hears about a subject is transparent, obvious nonsense then they're going to believe that the process is nonsense. They're going to throw up their hands and think that one side says one thing, the other side says another, and it's impossible to discern the truth because the process is a sham.

It's not about the lie, it's about undermining the process. The fact that their arguments make no sense, are transparently hypocritical, that they contradict themselves...it's not accidental. It's not "projection". It's a deliberate attempt to cultivate the belief that truth is unknowable.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

It's well known that the officers did not open the gates for the protesters. This has been disproven frequently soon after that rumor started, please stop continuing to spread it: https://www.newsweek.com/capitol-police-didnt-open-gates-rioters-viral-video-1559728

The posing for selfies thing, yea, absolutely true.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gatts posted:

Lmao yes. These guys are something villains out of a fantasy novel but real and the real shock is people go along with them.

The idea of spiritual warfare is very real among evangelicals. Like they don't see Satan as a metaphor (or as a translation of "adversary") they believe that Satan and his invisible demons are constantly tempting and corrupting people to sin, these demons have names and personalities. They believe that one must engage in offensive action against these demons through, well, militant prayer that invokes a lot of violent imagery against these demons - almost like spells of binding - and that an insufficiently pious person, or even one who engages in one of the world's many temptations is open to literal demon possession. A lot of talk about the armor of god

Say, isn't that a Roman legionary? Must've won that stuff casting lots.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

As Kalit already said: Yes, some of them posed for selfies.

Others were nearly lynched, tased, and slammed behind doors and had irritants sprayed in their face while resisting.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yes, the cops are individuals and some of them made bad decisions/were chuds. Are you trying to suggest that the capital police are a monolith?

Some were dragged away and beaten trying to hold back and delay a mob of crazy people that heavily outnumbered them. At least one died from wounds the rioters gave him. Another committed suicide from the shock/stress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Yes, the cops are individuals and some of them made bad decisions/were chuds. Are you trying to suggest that the capital police are a monolith?

Some were dragged away and beaten trying to hold back and delay a mob of crazy people that heavily outnumbered them. At least one died from wounds the rioters gave him. Another committed suicide from the shock/stress.

I believe there is in fact a slogan that presumes that not just the capitol police, but indeed all members of law enforcement are a monolith.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

The idea of spiritual warfare is very real among evangelicals. Like they don't see Satan as a metaphor (or as a translation of "adversary") they believe that Satan and his invisible demons are constantly tempting and corrupting people to sin, these demons have names and personalities. They believe that one must engage in offensive action against these demons through, well, militant prayer that invokes a lot of violent imagery against these demons - almost like spells of binding - and that an insufficiently pious person, or even one who engages in one of the world's many temptations is open to literal demon possession. A lot of talk about the armor of god

Pffft, poo poo isn't even a +4 to AC

I blame Jack Chick a lot for this poo poo: super duper insane Evangelical comic book "artist" and "writer", who probably did more to spead this insanity than anyone else to the rest of the Evangelical cults. Sadly one of the most prolific "comic strip artists" in terms of publishing worldwide.

Just a Grade A piece of poo poo with some reallly bizarre hang ups about Catholics and especially the King James version of the Bible

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

I blame Jack Chick a lot for this poo poo: super duper insane Evangelical comic book "artist" and "writer", who probably did more to spead this insanity than anyone else to the rest of the Evangelical cults. Sadly one of the most prolific "comic strip artists" in terms of publishing worldwide.

Just a Grade A piece of poo poo with some reallly bizarre hang ups about Catholics and especially the King James version of the Bible

I'm not sure where it came from, but it predates Chick. But that is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I remember when I was an evangelical teen we got it through youth group and also there are a couple of best selling books by this guy Frank Peretti that are about invisible angels and demons killing each other in invisible war over a woman deciding whether to have an abortion or not. But that's where their fear of things like Harry Potter and D&D come into play, they believe that these things, and indeed anything remotely occult, open the secret portals into your soul that demons can use to possess you like Linda Blair.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

TulliusCicero posted:

Looks like they're working from the old books there, so lower AC would actually be better.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kalit posted:

It's well known that the officers did not open the gates for the protesters. This has been disproven frequently soon after that rumor started, please stop continuing to spread it: https://www.newsweek.com/capitol-police-didnt-open-gates-rioters-viral-video-1559728

The posing for selfies thing, yea, absolutely true.
That article says the cops did let them in, but it's ok because the protestors threatened them or something
Which doesn't really jive with the cops paling around with them and taking selfies with the people who supposedly attacked them now does it :thunk:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Also the original translation isn't even belt of truth

Ephesians 6:14, KJV posted:

“Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;”

But of course loins has connotations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

eviltastic posted:

Looks like they're working from the old books there, so lower AC would actually be better.

the base stats arent that good, it's the set bonus really breaks the game

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
huh so that where Shoreleave got his bible armor stuff from.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Kalit posted:

Growing up mormon, I was surprised when I watched this and had never heard about it before. I would recommend this to others!

It pulled a huge amount of punches, though, to get access to the Mormon interviewees. I remember it from an episode of... The FBI Files(?) from when I was a kid, and that one went way more into detail about the larger picture of his relationship with the Church of LDS prior to the actual bombings.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

zoux posted:

Pontius has collected the T6 raiding gear

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Vaccine mandate for all federal employees AND contractors announced tomorrow.

All federal employees is pretty big, but not too out there. All contractors is pretty surprising.

Going to be interesting to see how many people suck it up and get vaxxed or who decide to to martyr their job (and possible grandma) for the cause.

The military hasn't decided whether they will mandate it for all active duty soldiers, but if they do, that would cover ~9.1 million people. Without the military, it is around 7.8 million.

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1420134426927935497

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I found this article to be a great encapsulation of something I’ve talked about on SA and elsewhere. I’ve always framed it as “when you’re poor, they make everything hard. Every means tested program you need is a huge pain. But when you get money America makes life easier and easier for you” and it’s good to see that instinctive understanding of what’s going on get some real coverage

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1420133288749027333?s=21

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

That article says the cops did let them in, but it's ok because the protestors threatened them or something
Which doesn't really jive with the cops paling around with them and taking selfies with the people who supposedly attacked them now does it :thunk:

Gonna just ask you to lay off, especially given the hearings going on right now.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Rhode Island and Delaware voted to raise the minimum wage to $15. Virginia is scheduled to phase it in up to $13 and will vote on whether to keep phasing it in over $15 in the following years.

If Virginia does so, that would make 10 states (plus D.C.) with $15 or higher minimum wages.

Woo-hoo, only 40-41 to go!

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

VitalSigns posted:

:rolleyes: You repeated the text that article said ("appeared to open gates for protesters"). It's proven that they didn't. Sorry it's not fitting your narrative.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

VitalSigns posted:

How do you still not understand that ACAB is about the system of policing in america and not the individual?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kalit posted:

:rolleyes: You repeated the text that article said ("appeared to open gates for protesters"). It's proven that they didn't. Sorry it's not fitting your narrative.

That was the name of the article, I didn't write it.

What I said in my post was that the cops let them in, which was true.

E: and lol at this defense "they didn't open the gates personally, they just calmly allowed the protestors to open the gates themselves", who cares either way that's letting them in

VitalSigns posted:

drat maybe the cops shouldn't have let the mob into the capitol

Although I suppose they thought it'd be all right since they recognized all their coworkers in the crowd. Understandable mistake.

CommieGIR posted:

Gonna just ask you to lay off, especially given the hearings going on right now.
No I don't think we should let the cops memory-hole that the rioters were their friends and included a bunch of off-duty cops

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 27, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

what the hell is RSBN? lady said "intolerant left" instantly without missing a beat and with all seriousness, so i assume its another poo poo rag like OAAN or newsmax.

The intolerant left with their all powerful signs and whistles that I could just continue to speak through with my literal microphone and deal with it. Also potentially could have had better security if the signs behind you really bothered you that much, but nope just give up and whine about it when met with the most meager of push back like a typical far right Trumper person.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 27, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

No I don't think we should let the cops memory-hole that the rioters were their friends and included a bunch of off-duty cops

Nobody is doing that though, even the officers currently giving testimony? You are the only one claiming that, hence why I am asking you to chill out?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Nobody is doing that though, even the officers currently giving testimony? You are the only one claiming that, hence why I am asking you to chill out?

Hey if the officers are testifying that there were cops in the crowd and that their buddies were letting them in and being their friends and taking selfies with them, cool let's see that part of the testimony.

I'm just reacting to the clip that was posted.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New Jersey finally did it.

The Jon Bon Jovi Service Area and the James Gandolfini Service Area are finally live on the Whitney Houston Parkway.

https://twitter.com/GovMurphy/status/1420121299226087427

Suspicious lack of Bruce Springsteen, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Hey if the officers are testifying that there were cops in the crowd and that their buddies were letting them in and being their friends and taking selfies with them, cool let's see that part of the testimony.

The testimony is being given by the guys who were not buddies with people in the crowd, who were direct victims of the mob, hence this comes across as pedantic and insensitive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Hey I'm only posting disingenuous bullshit don't blame me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

How do you still not understand that ACAB is about the system of policing in america and not the individual?

Did the "all" part confuse you or

ACAB means that the entire system of policing, and every individual participating in it, is a Bastard.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yinlock posted:

Cool of you to admit you don't understand it either.

All because even the good ones (minority whistle blowers that call out racist policies, etc) are active in a system that is by nature oppressive and fascist.

That does not mean that every individual is a racist chud as some here are trying to portray the testifying capitol police as.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New Jersey finally did it.

The Jon Bon Jovi Service Area and the James Gandolfini Service Area are finally live on the Whitney Houston Parkway.

https://twitter.com/GovMurphy/status/1420121299226087427

Suspicious lack of Bruce Springsteen, though.

Is there really a place in NJ called "Cheesequake?"

Lol that owns so hard

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

TulliusCicero posted:

Is there really a place in NJ called "Cheesequake?"

Lol that owns so hard

Should be in Wisconsin. As the name of a lane where a cheese factory had an accident there was a cheese tsunami or something.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yinlock posted:

The people who came up with it literally said that:

quote:

The phrase "All Cops Are Bastards" first appeared in England in the 1920s, then was abbreviated to "ACAB" by workers on strike in the 1940s. Proponents of the term say the intent refers to the police as an institution and does not necessarily reflect upon the individual law enforcement officer.

During the 1980s, ACAB became a symbol of anti-Establishment, especially within the punk and skinhead subcultures. It was popularized in particular by the 1982 song "A.C.A.B." by Oi! band The 4-Skins. In later years, ACAB turned into a popular slogan among European football hooligans and ultras, and among anarchist and anti-authoritarian movements across the world.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Cool of you to admit you don't understand it either.

All because even the good ones (minority whistle blowers that call out racist policies, etc) are active in a system that is by nature oppressive and fascist.

There are no "good ones".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

The testimony is being given by the guys who were not buddies with people in the crowd, who were direct victims of the mob, hence this comes across as pedantic and insensitive.

Yeah I know what they're claiming, I'm not buying it sorry.

You can if you want to though.