Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

PT6A posted:

Yeah, basically my issue with the 530 and the G1000 is that they are essentially unusable to fly the way you would expect to fly in real life. :words:

This has been one of my biggest gripes coming from XP11. Half of the GPS functions aren't there and the ones that are barely work.

The WT G1000/3000 mod and the GTN750 mod definitely help, but I just wish the GPS was on par with XP11's implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The performance change is pretty loving fantastic, honestly. Before the update, I had to run Medium preset minus a few things, drop my render scale to like 70%, plus do a bunch of Nvidia Control Panel bullshit to get 30-40 FPS in fairly remote areas. It was always jumpy.

I ran a quick VR test flight with my Oculus Rift S:
- AMD Ryzen 3600X with a GTX 3080 Ti and 32GB of RAM at 3600mhz
- Flying around Boulder, CO, mostly just doing slow Cessna rolls over town
- With the High preset, TAA, and an accidental 1.2 supersample from the Oculus Tray Tool (which comes out to 1984x2128 per eye, according to the MSFS menu)

According to the performance graph, I am locked at 40 FPS, half my headset's refresh rate, and the motion smoothing is working as well as I've ever seen it. It does in fact seem like the stuttering/"juddering" is gone for me, I was surprised I was only getting 40 after I opened the graph - this game always ate poo poo with the Oculus motion smoothing, and it was running so smoothly I just assumed I was somehow getting the full refresh rate. I couldn't tell what FPS I was actually capable of, but the performance overhead meter wavered between -10% and -45%, and since my HMD's "max" is 80 FPS this tells me I'm probably getting 44-72 FPS.

Which to be clear, is great for this game in VR, historically.

EDIT: Also, the interface changes are pretty nice! Love the detailed map overlay on the flight setup.
EDIT 2: poo poo, I tried to take a screenshot but lost it; according to Task Manager, my CPU was about 70% used, 42% RAM, and between 60-100% for my GPU.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 27, 2021

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Squiggle posted:

Love the detailed map overlay on the flight setup.

Oh hell yes

e: Froze up after getting 70% through the update. At least it more or less remembered where it left off.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 27, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RTX 2070 here, very noticeable frame rate increase in game. it is much nicer. Plus the load times are improved too.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

JayKay posted:

This has been one of my biggest gripes coming from XP11. Half of the GPS functions aren't there and the ones that are barely work.

The WT G1000/3000 mod and the GTN750 mod definitely help, but I just wish the GPS was on par with XP11's implementation.

I agree. I moved to x-plane shortly after getting more serious flying on VATSIM. I'm exited to see what the NXi mod will look like when that's released in the next couple of days!

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkS4X7pLkdk

working VNAV, procedures, etc. Hopefully also working Direct-To, airways, and normal looking TCAS icons.

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

vanisher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkS4X7pLkdk

working VNAV, procedures, etc. Hopefully also working Direct-To, airways, and normal looking TCAS icons.

Looks neat. Apparently this should be on the marketplace (like, the in-game one, I guess) within 24-48 hours, according to the Discord.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I said come in! posted:

RTX 2070 here, very noticeable frame rate increase in game. it is much nicer. Plus the load times are improved too.

I'm on an RTX 2070 as well. I only had enough time to boot up the FBW 320 at a custom airport. I didn't see an improvement in FPS per se, but the frame timing must have improved tremendously - it's buttery smooth now. I hope that I can tweak the settings a little bit or figure out conditions under which it gets even better.

What I don't like about this update so far are the controls. The update has changed how you interact with your cockpit. It now highlights in blue whatever element you're hovering over. That's ugly but whatever. What's worse is that I couldn't get some buttons to work at all. For instance, the landing lights in the a320 or its altitude, speed, and heading knobs no longer provided the 'pull to X' option. That's a problem, because you really need those. Hoping that this is just an FBW bug that's fixed there.

Oh, and I'm getting visual glitches in the cockpit that look like z-fighting. Textures on buttons will seem to flicker in and out, as if they're trying to overlay on another. Hope that's figured out quickly because it's a major distraction.

New content looks good. Since last year, the activities catalogue has grown quite a bit and it's become quite impressive.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar
Has anybody been able to change weight numbers, and tail numbers, or any numbers, and have them stick since this update? cuase i sure havent

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So what's the current version number of MSFS now? I boot mine up, it shows me a splash screen about the Nordic update, doesn't update anything else and it tells me that my game version is 1.17.3.0.

Are their servers currently so hosed that it failed to reach them when I started the program and so it's assuming it's up to date?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Bedurndurn posted:

So what's the current version number of MSFS now? I boot mine up, it shows me a splash screen about the Nordic update, doesn't update anything else and it tells me that my game version is 1.17.3.0.

Are their servers currently so hosed that it failed to reach them when I started the program and so it's assuming it's up to date?

I'm currently pulling down tens of gigs of updates on version 1.18.13.0

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bedurndurn posted:

I think that's what happening. When my installation couldn't reach the servers, it showed me the old splash screen as well before crashing. Keep restarting if it crashes, I guess eventually you'll get a spot in the download queue. And bring a couple of hours, it's busy.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I had the same problem and fixed it by going to the Microsoft Store and clicking the three dots next to the Play button and select Install. Apparently you need to download something in the Store before the game will even see the main update.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Lord Stimperor posted:

What I don't like about this update so far are the controls. The update has changed how you interact with your cockpit. It now highlights in blue whatever element you're hovering over. That's ugly but whatever. What's worse is that I couldn't get some buttons to work at all. For instance, the landing lights in the a320 or its altitude, speed, and heading knobs no longer provided the 'pull to X' option. That's a problem, because you really need those. Hoping that this is just an FBW bug that's fixed there.

Okay, I thought something in my controls had changed - the trim wheel in the Cessna seems to work differently, and the little twisty-dial on my throttle doesn't act like it used to - it seems to...click up or down? I don't know, it's weird. Less responsive somehow.

Although I DO like the highlighting and text description of in-cockpit controls when you hover over them! I wonder if you can disable it, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Re: Controls:

You have to lock a "complex" cockpit element before interacting with it. Presumably the intent is so you don't accidentally turn knobs or something. This can be disabled in the accessibility menu.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Re: Controls:

You have to lock a "complex" cockpit element before interacting with it. Presumably the intent is so you don't accidentally turn knobs or something. This can be disabled in the accessibility menu.

Oh that's not a bad way to deal with it. When you fly through some wind, it used to happen quite easily that you would 'slip' from the knob you were interacting with (unless you were in one if the das cameras). I guess the locking is an elegant solution to that, particularly if you interact through a controller. I'll try disabling that since I prefer the old method with a mouse.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
by the way I had a whole bunch of updates available in the content manager on top of the main update, so make sure you don't miss those (whatever they do)

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Things seem smoother and I'm seeing a about a 10-20 FPS boost.

The Carenado M20R Ovation seems to be broken though, can't manipulate the fuel tank selector. Tried flipping it over to legacy and still couldn't do it.

Edit: It probably just needs to be updated for SU5

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I presume that booting up the game involves plenty of network communication, too? Because the loading times are the loving worst right now.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

JayKay posted:

Things seem smoother and I'm seeing a about a 10-20 FPS boost.

The Carenado M20R Ovation seems to be broken though, can't manipulate the fuel tank selector. Tried flipping it over to legacy and still couldn't do it.

Edit: It probably just needs to be updated for SU5

Just a heads up that Carenado have historically been poo poo at supporting their products, so it may be months before this gets fixed.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I haven't been able to start the update yet. It gets stuck on "checking for updates" for several minutes before asking me to log off and log back into the xbox service or something, then it repeats. edit: shortly after posting this, I finally got through.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 28, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Like other people I have noticed a boost of perhaps 10-15 fps here and there (3070 / 3900X / 32GB / 3440x1440 / mix of high and ultra, 100% scaling), which isn't world-shattering but it is nice. Notably it pushed me from about 50 fps average to 65, which would be a major improvement if you don't have a VRR monitor. The much bigger deal is that the lows are vastly improved. Instead of randomly dropping and lagging down to 17 periodically for no reason, it stays locked in at 65 no matter the plane, inside the cockpit or external view. That's really good. Load times are also definitely faster.

My favorite feature is a world map that loving finally actually has labels on it. I can find airports by looking for city names and waterways and poo poo! Yay!

My second favorite feature is a vertically-scrolling airplane list instead of the stupid horizontal one! Yay!

I don't have any third-party planes but a friend does and says they were all crashing. I expect there will be a lot of hotfixes for those pushed out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My poor dear Seneca V might not work? Unacceptable.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It may be something with how MSFS supports gauges, since this update was supposed to drop support for some kind of XML gauges (which basically everyone used), but Asobo changed their mind at the last minute, although it's unclear if the update that got released supports them, or if that'll be coming in a later fix.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Holy poo poo. My FPS over NYC is hovering between 70-80 at all ultra settings at 21:9 1440p. Before the update it would be more like...30 with terrible frame pacing

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The NXi is out on marketplace according to the WT discord!

Now I just need this poxy update to finish, and I can see if the NXi fixes any of my gripes.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i still get 35-45 fps on all max settings 1440p, object and terrain sliders at 200. 9900k/2080. flew from anchorage to denali and also flying right now over nyc at night in the a320.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

NXi status report: it's got some really fascinating new bugs, but it does actually implement things like "Direct To" so overall I'm very optimistic even if it's not perfect. The weird bugs seem like things that just require a lot of testing and small fixes, not a complete misunderstanding of how the system is supposed to work like the original G1000.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Very happy with the performance increases in VR. I have a 9900k and a 3080 and I can finally maintain a steady 45fps with lots of options turned up higher than I had before when I had to lock it at 30FPS. Butter smooth flying around downtown Boston.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
3440x1440, max settings on pretty much everything (motion blur turned off) and getting 30-40 FPS. 10900KF/2080. Was flying over Aspen, so lots of trees and such.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Question: with a WMR headset like the Reverb G2, what's the best way to track your framerate in MSFS? I haven't tried many methods, but none of the obvious ones have been very usable for me so far. edit: By "obvious" I mean the typical windows framerate tracking software. I dunno if there are any VR-specific options out there.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 28, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Combat Pretzel posted:

I presume that booting up the game involves plenty of network communication, too? Because the loading times are the loving worst right now.

If you're going to a new area, you'll have to download the scenery from their servers.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, I did a test flight over NYC at 1080p/full Ultra with the intent of using that as a baseline to judge what settings would be effective to turn down. But then I saw that I managed a mostly steady 60 FPS flying low over Manhattan, and 40 FPS while coming into JFK. It's come a long way from launch when I got 15 FPS at JFK (with a worse cpu, mind you). I believe my last time flying here, which was a couple months ago on my current rig, I got around 30 to 40 FPS flying over the city with some stutters, and 20 to 25 FPS at JFK. The biggest slowdowns were when I was quickly looking from side to side. When doing that rapid camera movement, the framerate would drop from my steady ~62 down to 35 to 40 with some noticeable frame drops (my monitor falls out of VRR that low). A bit unfortunate since that's when you want smoothness the most, but overall a big improvement. Haven't tried VR yet, but I'm expecting my rig to struggle still.

Using a r5 5600x at stock with a slightly undervolted/underclocked 5700 XT. Not a super high-end machine by any means, so to get 60 FPS on Ultra over NYC makes me very happy.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 28, 2021

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My Surface Book 2 with GTX1060 is now quite enjoyable! I have already logged 575 hours of 15-20fps flying, but now I’m in the 40s or 50s even!

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
This would be a miracle update except I'm getting a few CTDs here and there. Apart from that - improved performance all around, love the new world map, love the new feature that marks the POIs and I am especially loving that my stuttering problem is gone. Without the CTDs this would be perfect for me. I see a lot of realism features are still a bit hosed but I am casual as gently caress and just fly to see the pretty scenery so I'm not badly affected.

Hopefully these CTDs get ironed out in a patch or two. I've loved the game warts and all from the beginning. To now have the game in this state is like a dream. I used to fly around in F19 Stealth Fighter pretending it was an airline back when I was a kid so to have this level of visual realism is just mind blowing. This could end up being my favorite game of all time when they're done with it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fuckpot posted:

This would be a miracle update except I'm getting a few CTDs here and there. Apart from that - improved performance all around, love the new world map, love the new feature that marks the POIs and I am especially loving that my stuttering problem is gone. Without the CTDs this would be perfect for me. I see a lot of realism features are still a bit hosed but I am casual as gently caress and just fly to see the pretty scenery so I'm not badly affected.

Hopefully these CTDs get ironed out in a patch or two. I've loved the game warts and all from the beginning. To now have the game in this state is like a dream. I used to fly around in F19 Stealth Fighter pretending it was an airline back when I was a kid so to have this level of visual realism is just mind blowing. This could end up being my favorite game of all time when they're done with it.

AI Traffic is listed as one of the causes of CTDs, so try disabling that if you haven't already.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I have live traffic enabled. I figured since it's a separate option to AI traffic that it wouldn't count but I guess it still counts as AI traffic just positioned by real world data. I'll try disabling it and see if the CTDs stop. Thanks for that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Question: with a WMR headset like the Reverb G2, what's the best way to track your framerate in MSFS? I haven't tried many methods, but none of the obvious ones have been very usable for me so far. edit: By "obvious" I mean the typical windows framerate tracking software. I dunno if there are any VR-specific options out there.

In the same boat. FS doesn’t play nice with steamVR overlays, so I’ve yet to find a solution for this. In other applications it’s a solved issue, but Asobo seems to be contractually bound to wall the garden off. :(

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The load time and now performance updates have been incredible, i can finally fly over New York without it looking like rear end, and i get stable 60+ fps on everything ultra at 1440p. Extremely impressed, it makes the game go from great looking to beautiful.

Weather seems to pull it down a lot though, but i can fiddle with the settings to get that ironed out :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So my CPU utilization is 20~% but my GPU is getting hammered between 70-80% (just saw it peak at 92%)...

But I'm only downloading the updates, lmao. Did they offload literally ALL of the CPU cycles to the GPU for some dumbshit reason?