Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

The changes are cool and good because even though they're still arbitrary they make it easier to compare to other fabs.

(This is with the updated names)

You see enough people taking the numbers literally and thinking TSMC 7nm is a generation ahead of Intel 10nm ESF when it's mostly on par.

if I'm reading this right:

TSMC's 7nm, which is what's used for AMD's Zen 2/3, has a transistor density of 91.20
Intel's 10nm (SuperFin, whatever), which is what's used for Tiger Lake, has a transistor density of 100.76

They're renaming 10nm to "Intel 7", which is going to sound like "7 nm", which is appropriate because the transistor density is similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i get why they don't do it but if they just labelled by transistor density it would make so much more sense

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

You see enough people taking the numbers literally and thinking TSMC 7nm is a generation ahead of Intel 10nm ESF when it's mostly on par.

So you're saying the naming was correct and they shouldn't have changed it? :v:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shipon posted:

i get why they don't do it but if they just labelled by transistor density it would make so much more sense

"Pfft, TSMC 91.20 MTr/mm2 has nothing on Intel 100.76 MTr/mm2, AMD is screwed this gen"

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Tbh, it's kinda weird that manufacturing process became this huge marketing thing anyways so as far egregious tech naming schemes go in my opinion this doesn't move the needle.

Intel has historically been more conservative with their process names as noted above, probably in part because they're their own biggest customer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Shipon posted:

would require everyone's brain shifting from smaller number = better to bigger number = better, which is why i bet they don't do it.

BurritoJustice posted:

"Pfft, TSMC 91.20 MTr/mm2 has nothing on Intel 100.76 MTr/mm2, AMD is screwed this gen"

you'd just call it like 101 or 45 or whatever

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

VorpalFish posted:

Tbh, it's kinda weird that manufacturing process became this huge marketing thing anyways so as far egregious tech naming schemes go in my opinion this doesn't move the needle.

Intel has historically been more conservative with their process names as noted above, probably in part because they're their own biggest customer.

twisting the truth for $$$? well i never

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

gradenko_2000 posted:

if I'm reading this right:

TSMC's 7nm, which is what's used for AMD's Zen 2/3, has a transistor density of 91.20
Intel's 10nm (SuperFin, whatever), which is what's used for Tiger Lake, has a transistor density of 100.76

They're renaming 10nm to "Intel 7", which is going to sound like "7 nm", which is appropriate because the transistor density is similar?

Intel PR7+

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

BurritoJustice posted:

The changes are cool and good because even though they're still arbitrary they make it easier to compare to other fabs.

(This is with the updated names)

Just go with density, i like this chart.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

But peak theoretical density is kinda meaningless too! And there isn’t a standard for measuring the density anyway! Oh no!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Reminds me of the old Athlon naming scheme, putting an "Intel Equivalent" mhz speed in the model name

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Wasnt that “equivalent to 2500 mhz versus an amd 1000 mhz”

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Even though it was obviously for intel

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they should bring that back imo, just brand every cpu relative to the pentium 4

where's my Ryzen 50,000+

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
They still do that as far as Ryzen 3, 5, 7, and 9 being positioned against an i3, i5, i7, and i9

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Wild EEPROM posted:

Wasnt that “equivalent to 2500 mhz versus an amd 1000 mhz”

The 2500+ ran at 1.8ghz stock and a lot more overclocked. Barton was legit, marketing aside.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
We just label everything by Linux kernel compile time, single thread and multithread.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That's basically what we do now with cinebench!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

They still do that as far as Ryzen 3, 5, 7, and 9 being positioned against an i3, i5, i7, and i9

There's also the hilariously petty chipset naming schemes that have been going back and forth. AMD starting their HEDT line with X399 when Intel was X299, and now the back and forth with 370/390/570/590 etc

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

it's not petty it's just dumb

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Putting aside the node renaming stuff, the idea of delivering power to transistors from one side so the data lines have the other side to themselves seems like a great innovation.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-only-to-launch-alder-lake-kf-series-and-z690-chipset-this-year-the-rest-coming-at-ces-2022

Intel is giving out incentives for motherboard makers to use ATX12VO apparently, they really want it to be a thing

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Maybe related to California's recent idle power efficiency phase in? I know people were speculating that's why they even made 12vo to begin with.

Internet currently appears to be freaking out over Dell not selling most alienware models in a bunch of states due to the phase in.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

repiv posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-only-to-launch-alder-lake-kf-series-and-z690-chipset-this-year-the-rest-coming-at-ces-2022

Intel is giving out incentives for motherboard makers to use ATX12VO apparently, they really want it to be a thing

OEMs like Dell seem to be trying very hard to make it happen so Intel probably only wants to deal with that.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

repiv posted:

ATX12vo wouldn't be a bad thing to go to it would help idle power consumption a bunch

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I'm all for motherboards being mechanically and electrically simplified, and very much in favor of getting rid of the 2-part 24-pin power connector and it's huge wad of wires. Please bring on the single 12V standard (and force AMD to use it too).

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
In principle I think the new 12V is fine. But I feel like they wasted the chance to redo all the power delivery to the board. What I saw from GamersNexus looked like you still needed to run a separate 4 or 8 pin 12V cable for the CPU instead of just having one big block. But this was one of those terrible OEM systems so it can probably be done better.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tbh i think the biggest issue is going to be people using cheap $1 adapters (which are going to be plentiful) and then burning down their house

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Icept posted:

In principle I think the new 12V is fine. But I feel like they wasted the chance to redo all the power delivery to the board. What I saw from GamersNexus looked like you still needed to run a separate 4 or 8 pin 12V cable for the CPU instead of just having one big block. But this was one of those terrible OEM systems so it can probably be done better.

Is that this article?
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3568-intel-atx-12vo-spec-explained-what-manufacturers-think

The big surprise for me there is this quote:

quote:

We also asked Gerow if economies of scale and mass production would move ATX12VO and ATX12V power supply standards toward each other, eventually getting into the DIY space. He replied: "Not really. Dell, HP and Lenovo already use a 12V Only type of solution, but their connectors are proprietary. Intel is just taking that idea and trying to standardize it.

I put together a new PC every 3-5 years, and never reuse power supplies, so the complaint about backwards compatibility doesn't really resonate with me. So, besides the backwards compatibility thing, what's the bothersome part for DIY/enthusiasts?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, except it's the former "Intel 4nm", so it should really be 40Å, since 1nm == 10Å.

They should call it 40A, because that is how many amps it's going to draw at 12V

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

canyoneer posted:

I put together a new PC every 3-5 years, and never reuse power supplies, so the complaint about backwards compatibility doesn't really resonate with me. So, besides the backwards compatibility thing, what's the bothersome part for DIY/enthusiasts?

The change doesn't really benefit the enthusiasts, so it is a bit of a net negative for DIY gaming/workstation folks specifically.

The efficiency gains are negligible to non existent for a high power gaming computer (it is really just designed for bulk OEM to meet bulk standards), it is going to increase motherboard costs and complexity likely without any drop in power supply costs, it may make the entire compatibility situation much more complicated for those that still have 3.3v/5v devices ("oh no, this cheap motherboard only has 1 sata power plug!"), you are leaving the 3.3v/5v regulation in the hands of 5-6 companies that basically all have massively hosed up voltage circuitry selection at one point or other on their current products, and it is sorta halfassed for enthusiasts in that it didnt actually consolidate the number or ease of use of the cables.

In the end, I don't actually think it will be that bad because I think the DIY space is just going to ignore the standard for years to come. But it will likely be annoying for all of us who do computer janitor duties for friends and family.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

mdxi posted:

I'm all for motherboards being mechanically and electrically simplified, and very much in favor of getting rid of the 2-part 24-pin power connector and it's huge wad of wires. Please bring on the single 12V standard (and force AMD to use it too).

Wait, so the motherboards are getting simpler? I heard some complaining earlier about how all the voltage conversion was getting pushed down onto motherboard OEMs to get 3.3V and other rails

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I suppose putting the 3.3v/5v converters right next to where they're needed might simplify things compared to having to route three different voltages across the entire board? If it lets them use fewer PCB layers it could end up being cheaper despite having more components.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Nomyth posted:

Wait, so the motherboards are getting simpler? I heard some complaining earlier about how all the voltage conversion was getting pushed down onto motherboard OEMs to get 3.3V and other rails

You can view it either way I suppose, but to be honest I was thinking slightly out of context anyway. My experience with single-voltage mobos is in large datacenters, where everything that a machine doesn't need gets thrown off the board, so it's physically simpler. But of course, now that I'm thinking about it, that won't be true of DIY mobos.

There is a lot of stuff on DIY mobos that I'd be happy to ditch, but that's completely subjective.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

canyoneer posted:

Is that this article?
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3568-intel-atx-12vo-spec-explained-what-manufacturers-think

The big surprise for me there is this quote:

re: big surprise, 12VO is a very very old idea that has shipped in many real systems. Every single Apple Mac Pro ever built has a 12VO power supply, and that started in 2006 with the MacPro1,1 model (a dual socket Woodcrest workstation).

Think about it this way: ATX is a 1995 standard, which itself was just an attempt to codify and standardize what people were doing when cloning and extending the 1980s IBM PC AT. It's incredibly dated at this point. Everyone with the freedom to not be tied down to that crusty ad hoc retrofit standard has built systems which move beyond it. It's kinda weird that Intel hasn't tried to push something like ATX12VO long before now.

TLDR: 12VO is long overdue.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bring back BTX and modernize it, so pcie cards primary side faces up and has standardized cooling etc.

BTX+ baby

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

OEMs like Dell seem to be trying very hard to make it happen so Intel probably only wants to deal with that.

The weird Dell power supply/motherboard seen in thier PC reviewed by GamersNexus didn't actually use the ATX12VO standard. It used their own proprietary standard that doesn't work with anything else.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cygni posted:

The change doesn't really benefit the enthusiasts, so it is a bit of a net negative for DIY gaming/workstation folks specifically.

The efficiency gains are negligible to non existent for a high power gaming computer (it is really just designed for bulk OEM to meet bulk standards), it is going to increase motherboard costs and complexity likely without any drop in power supply costs, it may make the entire compatibility situation much more complicated for those that still have 3.3v/5v devices ("oh no, this cheap motherboard only has 1 sata power plug!"), you are leaving the 3.3v/5v regulation in the hands of 5-6 companies that basically all have massively hosed up voltage circuitry selection at one point or other on their current products, and it is sorta halfassed for enthusiasts in that it didnt actually consolidate the number or ease of use of the cables.

In the end, I don't actually think it will be that bad because I think the DIY space is just going to ignore the standard for years to come. But it will likely be annoying for all of us who do computer janitor duties for friends and family.

Smaller PSUs and less annoying cabling sounds great for anyone building an itx system tbf.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Arzachel posted:

Smaller PSUs and less annoying cabling sounds great for anyone building an itx system tbf.

Ah, but the motherboard has to do the 3.3V and 5V conversion now, and cant ditch em cause of SATA, USB, fan controllers, and aRGB (seriously)... so the question is where exactly do they stick that, including the SATA power connectors, without losing features on ITX boards that are already stacking M.2 drives vertically to save space? :v:

ITX is one of the reasons I don't see 12VO taking off in the DIY space for a while. Its possible that the SFF market goes the way of those little DC to DC pico PSUs with a 12V passthrough i guess? I dunno. I think its more likely they just keep making regular 24pin PSUs and start shipping with a converter (or separate modular cable) if you are running a 12VO motherboard instead.

Just as an example, here is what that section looks like on one of the few 12VO DIY boards out there:

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ITX motherboards could switch to SO-DIMMs and hide those on the underside like they already do to M.2 drives.