Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

Eventually.

You don't live very long with a massive hole in your chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sunswipe posted:

But you do with a hole in your heart. :smith:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sam Leary : How long do you think someone can live after you've cut out their heart?
Frank Castle : A long... time.

And now I need to watch The Punisher again.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BattleMaster posted:

I kind of figured that the layer of light above the eggs that Kane comments on reacting to him when he broke it was part of a preservation system that kept the eggs fresh for the trip, and had remained functioning even after the crash. Of course, who knows how long the alien lifecycle even is - the vacuum of space doesn't bother them so maybe they don't even die of old age!

I've always assumed the "eggs" weren't just containers but were actually alive to a certain extent, sort of like a pine cone, and like plant seeds they can choose to go dormant when there's no chance of successful reproduction. The facehuggers are an integral part of the egg itself, not a creature growing inside a shell.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sunswipe posted:

What if you're connected to a very large resin based life support system

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, IDK about this line of thought, it smells of fanfiction retcon attempt. Everything we've seen in-universe (barring one or two characters in comics) suggests that one single chestburster implantation and hatching is pretty final for the victim. It's not even really clear how chestbursters parasitically use their hosts' bodies to mature, since victims we've seen in the films (most notably Kane) seem relatively fine for the brief period of time between implantation and hatching... until they're suddenly very much not fine. But I imagine a pre-cracked-open chest cavity wouldn't make a great home for an embryo either way. I don't think the resin used to construct hives has any sort of life-support qualities either, it's just there to bind victims for as long as it takes to implant them. The simpler explanation (158 colonists plus farm animals and pets) still allows for plenty more drones than what we see onscreen in Aliens, IMO.

BattleMaster posted:

I kind of figured that the layer of light above the eggs that Kane comments on reacting to him when he broke it was part of a preservation system that kept the eggs fresh for the trip, and had remained functioning even after the crash. Of course, who knows how long the alien lifecycle even is - the vacuum of space doesn't bother them so maybe they don't even die of old age!

Again, I think a lot of this (especially the xeno lifecycle stuff) really comes down to how much stock you put into Old Man Ridley's prequels as canon in the Alien universe. I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Scott didn't even like the 'bees in a hive with a queen' interpretation that Aliens applied to the franchise. This grumpy "my franchise" turnaround seems to track with the 'engineered bioweapon' angle - note the visual similarity between the eggs on the derelict ship and the urns of black goo in the other Engineer ship's hold... or the Giger architecture actually being Engineer design and not the secretions and insectoid construction of the xenomorphs. So are the eggs preserved by the blue light, intentionally by the Engineers as a bioweapon, or (I like this better) is it Vincent Van Goatse's pinecone idea that they can just lay dormant indefinitely? Before Prometheus came along to explain everything that didn't need explanation, the scariest thing was that nobody had a real answer.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 26, 2021

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Mister Speaker posted:

Before Prometheus came along to explain everything that didn't need explanation

is this too long to be a thread subtitle?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

The simpler explanation (158 colonists plus farm animals and pets) still allows for plenty more drones than what we see onscreen in Aliens, IMO.

157 colonists :argh: (It's 158 if you include Newt)

Pretty sure sure if Hadley's Hope didn't have farm animals. It wasn't an agricultural colony, LV-426 is a barely breathable barren world and the colonists were there to support the terraformer, along with W-Y administration and mining prospectors.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Also worth noting that all the Aliens save a few “Royal guards” defending the Queen were assaulting Ops to get at the Marines, and then the surviving Marines hopped on a dropship and flew to the Queen, likely faster than any remaining Aliens could have made it on foot.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've always assumed the "eggs" weren't just containers but were actually alive to a certain extent, sort of like a pine cone, and like plant seeds they can choose to go dormant when there's no chance of successful reproduction. The facehuggers are an integral part of the egg itself, not a creature growing inside a shell.

Mister Speaker posted:

Again, I think a lot of this (especially the xeno lifecycle stuff) really comes down to how much stock you put into Old Man Ridley's prequels as canon in the Alien universe. I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Scott didn't even like the 'bees in a hive with a queen' interpretation that Aliens applied to the franchise. This grumpy "my franchise" turnaround seems to track with the 'engineered bioweapon' angle - note the visual similarity between the eggs on the derelict ship and the urns of black goo in the other Engineer ship's hold... or the Giger architecture actually being Engineer design and not the secretions and insectoid construction of the xenomorphs. So are the eggs preserved by the blue light, intentionally by the Engineers as a bioweapon, or (I like this better) is it Vincent Van Goatse's pinecone idea that they can just lay dormant indefinitely? Before Prometheus came along to explain everything that didn't need explanation, the scariest thing was that nobody had a real answer.

Another idea is that if the eggs can stay dormant an incredibly long time, then the blue light was actually part of an alarm system that didn't do the crew any good in the end. I'm okay with this stuff not having any spelled-out answers because the speculation is fun.

Xenomrph posted:

Also worth noting that all the Aliens save a few “Royal guards” defending the Queen were assaulting Ops to get at the Marines, and then the surviving Marines hopped on a dropship and flew to the Queen, likely faster than any remaining Aliens could have made it on foot.

On the topic of the large distance between the colony and the atmosphere processor. In the movie it isn't exactly shown where - relative to the colony or atmosphere processor - the dropship was landed when it was called in for evac. The "Alien: The Blueprints" book shows that the closest thing to what we saw in the movie was a landing pad at the main colony.

I had originally just assumed that the alien that took out the dropship was one that was riled up during the attack on the hive. But it seems more likely that there must have been some lurking around the main colony - they mostly come out at night... mostly - and one of those must have found an opportunity to attack. Which makes me wonder if even when the marines were securing the place there were aliens keeping their distance waiting for a moment when they could catch someone alone. If any aliens went back to the hive to find help, they may not have had enough time to reach the place before the APC , assisted by the dropship, did.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BattleMaster posted:

Another idea is that if the eggs can stay dormant an incredibly long time, then the blue light was actually part of an alarm system that didn't do the crew any good in the end. I'm okay with this stuff not having any spelled-out answers because the speculation is fun.

This is what I feel about most fiction of any type. Books included. Although I'm not a huge fan of speculation. I'm just more of a "if the author/writer/director doesn't tell us, then it doesn't matter because we'll never know the truth." Not with everything though. Like the blue light egg speculation ideas is a fine discussion for me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Look, once you've had one chestburster pop out, if you get implanted with another one it just sort of falls out and doesn't develop. Because it's on the floor.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is what I feel about most fiction of any type. Books included. Although I'm not a huge fan of speculation. I'm just more of a "if the author/writer/director doesn't tell us, then it doesn't matter because we'll never know the truth."

I reacted on Ridley Scott talking about being surprised and amazed that no one ever asked who the space jockey was in this making of Prometheus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBxT0zgYMQ4&t=175s

I can kind of understand but I feel like when you see mysterious things like this in movies you ask yourself "oh man, what could that be?" but you don't really want to know. Like in The Thing when they go to the other camp to check on the Swedes Norwegians and find the axe in the door, guy with slit arm etc., it's mysterious and you wonder "what exactly happened here?". Then the prequel comes and goes "this is what happened" and makes you go "oh... well ok then." and the mystery is gone.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's a huge problem I have with prequels. We don't need to know absolutely everything that happened! Leave some mystery to our imaginations!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

mllaneza posted:

Look, once you've had one chestburster pop out, if you get implanted with another one it just sort of falls out and doesn't develop. Because it's on the floor.

I'm picturing the "dunce" facehuggers just jumping on the nearest human face they see, without ever wondering why they also had a big ol' bloody hole in their chest.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm picturing the "dunce" facehuggers just jumping on the nearest human face they see, without ever wondering why they also had a big ol' bloody hole in their chest.

Pitch for a new Far Side panel. “Brian! I told you to look before you leap, but nooooooo”.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I figured the remains of humans utilized for implanting eggs were used to build the hive.

Or for the xenomorphs to eat.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Or for the xenomorphs to eat.

Do the xenomorhps even eat?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Basic biology makes me surmise that an animal needs nutrient intake of some sort to grow. I figured with things like a mouth & teeth that a xenomorph "eats."

Then again, those tubes out of its back could be some weird energy-collecting thing like how a plant uses leaves to gather sunlight.

Maybe xwnomorphs are mobile plants?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Fish of hemp posted:

Do the xenomorhps even eat?

The novelization for Alien has a passage where the young xeno has eaten most of the rations in the food locker.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I thought I read somewhere that the (in universe) assumption that the way they worked is that they were essentially living batteries (since, y'know, they hadn't had much chance to get a hold of one to see how it ticks...). They were chock-full of battery acid and just needed light/heat/some kind of energy to get the cycle started, and if they didn't have it they would run out and hibernate until they charged back up again. They didn't really need to eat, as much as get resources to make their outer carapace and then they were essentially good. Another thing that comes to mind is a foggy memory of an Alien script draft where Brett finds some poo poo like cables with the insulation stripped off that the Alien ate because it needed whatever to grow.

Given how long I have had that head canon, I am guessing that I likely got it from some old-rear end Dark Horse Aliens comic since there was gently caress all other media out other than the movies.

Tinkin' 'bout dem ding-dong Aleens (an' how dey work...)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Apropos to the conversation, I've been listening to Aliens: Bug Hunt, an anthology style book with various stories set in the Alien universe. I don't know if it's considered canon or whatever, but there's some background info/answers to questions no one asked. It has a Star Wars EU vibe of "everything and everyone needs a backstory". I haven't experienced much Alien fiction outside the movies, so maybe that's standard. Anyway here's a list of some things in the book:

Bishop being activated for the first time, he is "special"/has emotions, also Hudson taught him the knife trick
Hicks has a tragic story concerning his wife who was another marine
There was some kind of love triangle between Hudson, Dietrick, and some other guy
Frost and Dietrick had an adventure involving some kind of space insect that attaches to a host and lays eggs in them, lol. Afterwards Dietrick says "if I ever have to fight those things again, I'm bringing a flamethrower! :haw:
Carter Burke backstory which I have to admit I did find interesting

Regarding how eggs function,
One of the stories is told from the perspective of the xenomorphs, and the eggs are not considered alive, but react to a few different stimuli, such as carbon dioxide being expelled by potential hosts. Furthermore, as far as food is concerned, a queen hocks a loogie into the mouth of a baby queen because she desperately needs nutrition to grow. It also says if alone, a queen will eat anything she can, but in a controlled hive, she will be given special nutrition to help her grow as fast as possible, reaching adult size in less than a week.

There's some outright wacky stuff in the book too like a dude who was experimented upon by a drug company, and when in danger he hulks out. As in, he grown huge, his skin turns red colored, he grows spikes and becomes super strong.

This stuff really isn't my cup of tea so I've been playing the audiobook in the background as I do other things. I'm sure I've missed a ton of details but whatever. I've discovered I prefer Alien content to be more "serious" rather than pulpy

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The old Dark Horse/Bantam EU didn’t explain a whole lot, or when they did it ended up being irrelevant (or incorrect) bullshit meant to distract the characters, and the over-explanation was intentional and kind of the point.

What I’m saying is that Aliens: Labyrinth is a really good comic and everyone should read it.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 28, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I've been listening to Aliens: Bug Hunt

I'm listening to that now too! So I didn't read your spoilers. Although I'm listening on a 45 minute trip to Milwaukee on the interstate and I have bad anxiety and am hypervigilant so it's hard to pay attention. I'll be listening to the third story tomorrow.

That or NPR.

I'm boring.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

The old Dark Horse/Bantam EU didn’t explain a whole lot, or when they did it ended up being irrelevant (or incorrect) bullshit meant to distract the characters, and the over-explanation was intentional and kind of the point.

What I’m saying is that Aliens: Labyrinth is a really good comic and everyone should read it.

Was it you who sent me Labyrinth? I remember reading it and not liking it but I was drunk and I generally don't pay attention very well when I'm lying down in bed late at night drunk reading.

I just found it on my bookshelf and put it next to my bed. I'll read that again soon... sober.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I've been assembling plastic aliens from the boardgame. Thinking about aliens as I'm building aliens.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

I'm listening to that now too! So I didn't read your spoilers. Although I'm listening on a 45 minute trip to Milwaukee on the interstate and I have bad anxiety and am hypervigilant so it's hard to pay attention. I'll be listening to the third story tomorrow.

That or NPR.

I'm boring.

Report in after you've finished it!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Report in after you've finished it!

I listened to the second one on the way home yesterday and the only part I really remember is the guy getting eaten by the bugs instantly and his shoulder pads falling to the ground without his body there and his belt buckle being highly polished lol.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I recently got most of the Alien Omnibus novelizations (not the comics):

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 1
- Earth Hive
- Nightmare Asylum
- The Female War

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 2
- Genocide
- Alien Harvest

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 3
- Rogue
- Labyrinth

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 4
- Music of the Spears
- Berserker

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 6
- Cauldron
- Steel Egg

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 7
- Criminal Enterprise
- No Exit

I'd already read all of the ones in Vol.1 a while back, so I started in with Genocide. Which had a couple of moments, but was not great. I think i will skip up to Labyrinth next.

I've read most of this stuff in comic book form in years past, I just wanted to check out the novelizations, because I had recently read the Cold Forge, and Out of the Shadows/Sea of Sorrow/River of Pain

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just wanted to reiterate that this thread is a breath of fresh air compared to the one in CineD

Keep thinking about those Aliens, folks :cheers:

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
There is a new Alien board game coming out next week: https://bloody-disgusting.com/toys/3662176/board-game-alien-fate-nostromo-will-let-play-events-original-movie/

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

The Best Comic. Re: food chat, if memory serves it shows that xenos are especially fond of pig to the point where one 'practically swims in it' but will get a tummyache if allowed to gorge.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

That's a huge problem I have with prequels. We don't need to know absolutely everything that happened! Leave some mystery to our imaginations!

I agree with this 100%.
Some things are better left to the imagination.
I don't give a single care about "Space Jockeys", Xeno origins, evolutionary precursors to the Alien/Aliens style Xenos or any of that. I for one, am totally fine with just leaving it at, "No one knows where they came from, how long they've been around, precisely how they work, or exactly where they all are. All we know is that they are out there, they are lethal, and they're just waiting for fresh meat to stumble upon them." That's all the background I need, and it also nods to the fact that despite the fact that man has figured out how to travel between planets, and solar systems, and beyond, we still have no idea what horrors lurk in the unknown. Similar to how even in 2021, we're still finding new forms of life in the depths of the ocean, just on a much grander scale. You could think that Xenomorphs are at the top of the galactic food chain, so to speak, but it's equally plausible that there's something even more unimaginably horrible and deadly above them. And even with all our knowledge, technology and other advancements, we are still comparatively frail, weak, vulnerable and helpless.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Has there ever been a good prequel?

Temple of Doom is the best I can come up with, and most people fuckin hate that movie.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Watched predator 2 the other night then the next day watched aliens vs predator and AvP:requiem back to back.
Fell asleep during requiem.

Still thinking about them aliens(and predators)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I much prefer AvP to the sequel, but it at least gets an extra star for a gnarly kid death.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Has there ever been a good prequel?

Temple of Doom is the best I can come up with, and most people fuckin hate that movie.

I’m a fan of ‘The Thing’ prequel, it doesn’t really “explain” a whole lot and instead is just its own little story that happens to be set before the Carpenter movie.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ooh good one, I actually like that movie quite a bit too but that opinion'll get your rear end kicked 'round hea.

Yea yea it sucks they went so hard on the CG, but the skull melding part is legit horrifying.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jay_Zombie posted:

I agree with this 100%.
Some things are better left to the imagination.
I don't give a single care about "Space Jockeys", Xeno origins, evolutionary precursors to the Alien/Aliens style Xenos or any of that. I for one, am totally fine with just leaving it at, "No one knows where they came from, how long they've been around, precisely how they work, or exactly where they all are. All we know is that they are out there, they are lethal, and they're just waiting for fresh meat to stumble upon them." That's all the background I need, and it also nods to the fact that despite the fact that man has figured out how to travel between planets, and solar systems, and beyond, we still have no idea what horrors lurk in the unknown. Similar to how even in 2021, we're still finding new forms of life in the depths of the ocean, just on a much grander scale. You could think that Xenomorphs are at the top of the galactic food chain, so to speak, but it's equally plausible that there's something even more unimaginably horrible and deadly above them. And even with all our knowledge, technology and other advancements, we are still comparatively frail, weak, vulnerable and helpless.

In his book "Danse Macabre", during the section about Lovecraft's influence on horror, Stephen King opined that he felt "Alien" was a perfect example of Lovecraftian horror (just with man finally going to the Elder Gods rather than summoning them to us), and precisely for the reason you mentioned: we didn't know anything about the alien, or where the eggs came from, or the Space Jockey, or any of it. All we knew was that there were deadly, unspeakable horrors lurking in the depths of space, that didn't care one bit about humanity or its place in the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

I’m a fan of ‘The Thing’ prequel, it doesn’t really “explain” a whole lot and instead is just its own little story that happens to be set before the Carpenter movie.
The key to a good prequel is restraint. When you're hitting the point of explaining where Han Solo got a blaster from you have badly gone off mark.