Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dr. Chat: I was really surprised by the Behind the Bastards episode on Dr. Oz. I’d always assumed he was some lovely flunky of his field like Dr. Phil, but he’s actually a very accomplished and talented surgeon… it’s just that there is more money in being a bad doctor who pushes supplements with Oprah’s endorsement.

Nightcrawler Chat: IIRC it was an early Trump thread where another goon and I tried to explain to another goon how it was really a vampire movie and that capitalism turns people into monsters. The imagery, Bloom’s character, and the job are very obvious, but this goon completely refused to accept it and was annoyed that people looked too deeply into things lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Forceholy posted:

Is the medical residency thread on this forum any good?

If you join it, they'll probably invite you to join their Discord, which is where the real action is nowadays.

I've been lucky in my doctors; in particular, I've had a series of good neurologists, who are critical to my everyday life.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

SpacePig posted:

What is there to wait for, TikTok? What am I waiting for? Oh no, kids made a mess in a store that their parent couldn't miss a day working in. Okay cool, what am I waiting for!?

The sweet release of death.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Norton posted:

you guys sure have a bunch of strong opinions about an entire field of professionals from like the 4 doctors you've met personally. what are the professions of smart people who are all really nice and good? my personal experience with doctors is some of them are great, some are mediocre and some are awful. wow just like mechanics or teachers or any other job that i can think of.

As soon as mechanics or teachers form a professional trade group that lobbies hard and very effectively against Medicare for All, I'll hate them, too.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

If I had to guess, perception of doctors is heavily influenced by how much your existence depends on regularly successfully interacting with them, which for a lot of otherwise-healthy people is probably "not all that much". Like to me doctors are just kinda an annoyance I have to deal with to get my medication, so I'm exaggerating a bit in my personal whining.

However I can't really think of a single trans person I know personally who has had overall good experiences with doctors (and plenty who have had suicide-attempt-inducing experiences), and I know a hell of a lot of trans people.

i can guarantee you that replacing mds with nps, pas, more rns, chiros or naturopaths, which is the thing thats on the table, will not help in any way with this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Norton posted:

you guys sure have a bunch of strong opinions about an entire field of professionals from like the 4 doctors you've met personally. what are the professions of smart people who are all really nice and good? my personal experience with doctors is some of them are great, some are mediocre and some are awful. wow just like mechanics or teachers or any other job that i can think of.

mechanics? that’s your example? people loving hate mechanics. and teachers. what are you standing on

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

As soon as mechanics or teachers form a professional trade group that lobbies hard and very effectively against Medicare for All, I'll hate them, too.

the ama has poo poo opinions but its still a union that survived reagan and not by special dispensation like the sag or sports unions. just wait for the lovely boomers to die, they're the core of the opposition to medicare for all

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

just wait for the lovely boomers to die

lol I thought we got over this “demographics will save us” nonsense in like 2012

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

indigi posted:

lol I thought we got over this “demographics will save us” nonsense in like 2012

Even if all the old doctors in the AMA die, what are you going to do about the insurance companies? Lmao

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
when they made the nhs they just nationalized some portions of some insurance companies

once it existed, it rapidly became popular enough that even thatcher couldnt kill it

bob dobbs is dead has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Jul 27, 2021

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Forceholy posted:

You guys remember that screenshot from a medical textbook a few years back about how different ethnicities deal with pain?

Doctors aren't that smart outside of their respective mecidal field. There's a reason why a lot of medical professionals fall for MLM schemes.

i looked into the research for this and the reason isn’t necessarily “lol docs are dumb am i rite”, but that a huge part of medicine is collaborative working and trusting people/patients and a healthy dose of arrogance/ naivety

so if you’re a nefarious financial advisor/
MLM the best mark ever is going to be a doctor because they’re rich and will trust you to invest in your guaranteed 100% return scam

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i can guarantee you that replacing mds with nps, pas, more rns, chiros or naturopaths, which is the thing thats on the table, will not help in any way with this

I mean yes the problem is the American healthcare system is built in such a way to make everything maximally, fundamentally hosed up, and doctors being Terrible is just one of the most visible side effects.

Also lumping nurse practitioners in with chiropractors and naturopaths seems real... unfair, though I realize you didn't mean to equate them or anything lol

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

I dunno, my doctor orders tests and then tells me if the number is high enough that we shold do more tests. Seems polite enough when she does it. :shrug:

these days most places just have non-clinical staff on the HIM side of things call with test results if they red flag, or put a note in the patient portal

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Jel Shaker posted:

that a huge part of medicine is collaborative working and trusting people/patients

be kinda wild if doctors actually trusted or believed patients who weren't well off white dudes

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

Dr. Chat: I was really surprised by the Behind the Bastards episode on Dr. Oz. I’d always assumed he was some lovely flunky of his field like Dr. Phil, but he’s actually a very accomplished and talented surgeon… it’s just that there is more money in being a bad doctor who pushes supplements with Oprah’s endorsement.

Sanjay Gupta is like that too. Really good neurosurgeon who became a media grifter who is vehemently against M4A.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

yeah, insurance companies really dont like paying out and will do some messed up things to make sure they dont have to
i remember reading one article where the person from one they interviewed bragged about reviewing vacation photos to see if they could halt payments because the person was enjoying themselves too much to be hurt

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

StormDrain posted:

I'm told neurosurgeons generally practice until they physically can't do it, since it's such a lucrative and respected profession. The fact that he transitioned to politics seems to me that he was not that great of a neurosurgeon. He may have even been bad.

do they make movies about BAD doctors?

checkmate lib

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

atelier morgan posted:

be kinda wild if doctors actually trusted or believed patients who weren't well off white dudes

lol I was gonna say. doctors hate their patients for the most part

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

indigi posted:

mechanics? that’s your example? people loving hate mechanics. and teachers. what are you standing on

they are normal humans just like people working nearly every other job. I'm curious which professions you consider good because I noticed you ignored that part.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

indigi posted:

lol I was gonna say. doctors hate their patients for the most part

Doesn't every profession hate its clients?

indigi posted:

Most non-Americans have a lot of respect for the teaching profession because they haven't been brainpoisoned by anti-union propaganda

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Norton posted:

they are normal humans just like people working nearly every other job. I'm curious which professions you consider good because I noticed you ignored that part.

actually, all professions are bad under capitalism, op

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Ben Carson cameoed in the film Stuck on You as the surgeon who separates Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear.

EDIT: This is not a joke

Ben Carson is the physical manifestation of that "not only am I a doctor, but I play one on tv" gag. Incredible

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Norton posted:

The ones where being systemically bad due to structural and cultural problems results in annoyance and frustration rather than direct injury and death.

So mechanics would probably be fine, as far as I know bad mechanics are just annoying and expensive rather than like, insistent that you don't actually need brakes, you've just got autobreakophilia.

Teachers also are fine, unless this trend of arming them continues to the point where they can legally shoot a second grader 6 times in the back after he doesn't comply and resists a time-out.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

So mechanics would probably be fine, as far as I know bad mechanics are just annoying and expensive rather than like, insistent that you don't actually need brakes, you've just got autobreakophilia.

lol I hope you never have car trouble that can’t be diagnosed by plugging it into a computer. bad mechanics absolutely will do this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Norton posted:

I’m not making an argument, I’m just pointing out that yours is asinine

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shame Boy posted:

The ones where being systemically bad due to structural and cultural problems results in annoyance and frustration rather than direct injury and death.

Teachers also are fine, unless this trend of arming them continues to the point where they can legally shoot a second grader 6 times in the back after he doesn't comply and resists a time-out.

Isn't the trend in education the opposite? Students can run roughshod over teachers and the admin doesn't care because they don't want to hear it from the parents or get sued.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Isn't the trend in education the opposite? Students can run roughshod over teachers and the admin doesn't care because they don't want to hear it from the parents or get sued.

I was trying to imply that one of the bad professions was "cops" rather than actually say much about teachers. Teachers are fine.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

You guys know who sucks way more than doctors? Dentists. gently caress them.

I'm a dental hygienist and i loving hate dentists. I've worked for dozens through temp work and multiple regular jobs and never met one that isn't a greedy bastard except the one I work with at my current public heath job.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

atelier morgan posted:

I have some bad news for well off white dudes too

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I know exactly one dentist except for the ones I've paid to cause me pain, and she specifically chose the profession for the money/potential vacation time. She's honestly a pretty nice person so far, but she also hasn't become rich yet. The larger issue is that it's kind of a lovely job, you have to hurt people a lot, physically and financially, and the rewards are not very tangible, because no one is happy after a dentist visit, except if they're drugged. And everything that's cool about it is cooler in regular medicine really.

But yeah, capitalism is the underlying problem. I've known a few doctors who were nice, but I could also see them fall into a bubble of well paid golfing assholes and becoming terrible by cultural osmosis.

As for doctors treating trans people like poo poo, that's probably more about general transphopia and less about doctors. The issue is that doctors are important if you feel like not being suicidal while trans, unlike mechanics. I see a lot of queer networks recommending specific doctors for that reason.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
luxury bones

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

duz posted:

yeah, insurance companies really dont like paying out and will do some messed up things to make sure they dont have to
i remember reading one article where the person from one they interviewed bragged about reviewing vacation photos to see if they could halt payments because the person was enjoying themselves too much to be hurt
My disability attorney (I lost) warned me that he'd had clients lose their disability insurance because they were photographed smiling in public. And that I would be stalked by private eyes, and I should get off social media. Instead, I changed my pseud (not this one; I wasn't on SA at the time) I'd been using for 10+ years and friendslocked all my accounts.

Instead, I lost because the insurance company claimed their terms -- which I was never able to read, of course -- allowed them to deny "self-reported illnesses", and migraine counts because you can't see it in a blood test or an X-ray.

gently caress Aetna.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Shot (thread detailing issues where OP was within warranty, looking for repairs to their Wacom for manufacturing defects, and Wacom claims the warranty is wrong for reasons):

https://twitter.com/ompuco/status/1354124655095730177

Chaser:
https://twitter.com/ompuco/status/1419982629013639174

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Wacom shows up outside your house at 2 am and throws a brick through your window, then speeds away

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Shot (thread detailing issues where OP was within warranty, looking for repairs to their Wacom for manufacturing defects, and Wacom claims the warranty is wrong for reasons):

https://twitter.com/ompuco/status/1354124655095730177

Chaser:
https://twitter.com/ompuco/status/1419982629013639174

saving this for the next time some lolbertarian fuckhead questions our consumer protection laws which say "we don't care if you offer a ninety-minute warranty; if your product is reasonably expected to last for seven years, you will fix it for free for seven years"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Even if all the old doctors in the AMA die, what are you going to do about the insurance companies? Lmao

doctors fought universal health care tooth and nail in Canada

but don't worry, that lovely premed whose rich parents want him to be a doctor has random strangers going to bat for his honor right here and now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm reading about the town of White Settlement, Texas, because I hoped naively that it was just named after a dude named White, but of course not it was named that because it was for white people to live in to the exclusion of the Native Americans who were already there. Anyway it's where the Texas War of Northern Aggression Civil War Museum is based, and I think this sentence just perfectly captures America in amber in such a great way:

quote:

Officially the Museum presents both sides of the war; the gift shop has Union items on one side, and Confederate items on the other.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

World War Mammories posted:

this transfiguration from the stated mockery of a specific subtype of student to “why do you hate all doctors everywhere” is bizarre

yeah its really funny dont you think

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Capitalism question: could someone who holds shares of stock in a large corporate agribusiness sue that corporation for being deliberately unprofitable because they refuse to spray the nitrogenous bodily wastes of their employees on their crops and, in fact, make conscious choices to simply dispose of these resources, and even knowingly spend corporate funds on facilities that promote the underutilization of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Capitalism question: could someone who holds shares of stock in a large corporate agribusiness sue that corporation for being deliberately unprofitable because they refuse to spray the nitrogenous bodily wastes of their employees on their crops and, in fact, make conscious choices to simply dispose of these resources, and even knowingly spend corporate funds on facilities that promote the underutilization of them?

Anything that harms a corporation in any way is illegal.