Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hope Conor gets his rematch soon and is then punched into retirement :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Snowman_McK posted:

since it's already been deleted, here's a screenshot. It's off sherdog, so my apologies for that

So just reupload it to imgur instead of image leeching from sherdog? I did it for you this time.

Anyway

chaleski posted:

Hell yeah Cocaine Conor is gonna tweet and delete a bunch of crazy poo poo, let's go

hell yeah!

Brut fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 27, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Lol "Piss Ants"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Scapegoat posted:

I'm wondering if Khabib will straight up murder him if he runs into him.

In his superlong interview with ESPN, Khabib said, "people ask me if I'm gonna fight Conor on sight, and it depends. Not everything he says affects me."

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

LobsterMobster posted:

He's referring to Khabib's comment after the last Dustin fight, "good always defeats evil"

Holy poo poo…

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

but Connnor has done so much fo the sport!

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

If Khabib literally murdered Conor my initial reaction would be complete shock for like ten minutes but I’m pretty sure I’d start laughing after that.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1419994392157380609?s=20

:laugh:

Well we know what's next for him now

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I don't think Conor is long for this world be it the drugs, the poor verbal decisions toward dangerous people or a combination of all factors

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

aljo is champ?

lol did he really win the belt by being blasted with an illegal shot? jesus hahaha. was he winning the fight prior to that? he always seemed like a gate keeper to me not a champ.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think that might be because hes kind of a gatekeeper, he was getting owned before yan forgot the rules. I do want to see a title defence though, he could pull it off with champion powers.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
it's really funny that aljo got the belt through no fault of his own but i wish that energy went to chael when he fought jones. if he'd just managed not to die in the first...

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Marching Powder posted:

aljo is champ?

lol did he really win the belt by being blasted with an illegal shot? jesus hahaha. was he winning the fight prior to that? he always seemed like a gate keeper to me not a champ.

yan was winning pretty handily iirc. it was just the dumbest move resulting in hilarity

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Also iirc Petr ran around raising his fists and celebrating like a big rear end in a top hat after he landed the disqualifying blows, as though he was very pleased with what he had done

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Yan was definitely winning that fight but I don't recall it being a huge mismatch. Aljo had a lot of nervous energy and utilized too much movement and power in round one and ended up gassing and falling behind. Then he took a knee to the same brain Marlon Moraes scrambled up pretty good

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

gently caress Weidman was incompetent. Serra Longo was trying to get him to brain damage his way to the title for years after he lost it and aljo shows him how its done instantly.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
My recollection of Yan/Sterling was that Sterling was pretty active but not very effective. Yan is a pretty slow starter too so I think that made it seem more competitive. After the second round it was very one sided for Yan and he was basically cruising to a victory.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Rewatching the fight now and Sterling came out fast and heavy. Lot of pressure, very active. Landed a really good knee; Yan landed a right that rocked/dropped him for a second. Beyond that much of what Sterling threw wasn't power and was blocked.

After the 1st round Sterling tired out too much. He isn't huffing and puffing but his shots and movement got slow and sloppy. He slipped a few times on the mat. By the 4th he was huffing a bit and visibly tired whenever he did anything major. And Yan turned it up in the 3rd and 4th.

And guess we just remember the DQ but the exact situation happened in the 3rd round where Yan didn't throw the knee

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Dang I'd forgotten it even got to round 4, I thought it was like, 2 or maybe 3 at the latest.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

It would have been hard for Aljo to come back on the cards since he was fading but I think people unfairly suggest he was lost in that fight

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
If you're kneeling in front of your opponent and their limbs are free enough that they can choose to punch or kick you in the head, and just one of those happens to be against the rules, you're losing the fight pretty bad.

Like, what's the plan here?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

you hope your opponent isn't fully cognisant of the rules and take home the belt

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Brut posted:

If you're kneeling in front of your opponent and their limbs are free enough that they can choose to punch or kick you in the head, and just one of those happens to be against the rules, you're losing the fight pretty bad.

The really weird part of this is that it looked as though Yan was going to wait for Aljo to start to start to get up before he threw the knee and then he just…didn’t.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

This and the Eddie Alvarez dq led me to my unpopular theory that remaining in a position like that, where you're basically offering illegal strikes and you're only being protected by the rules, should count as grounds for TKO.

I still believe it, but I don't post about it.

Much.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Brut posted:

Step really deep with the right foot and go for a double, or if you have the flexibility, reap his legs with the right calf. Put your head up right into his waist/stomach as you go, assume you won't get kneed and watch out for the guillotine. None of this offense has to fully succeed, it just needs to do enough to keep you from getting punched.

You could also just fall back into a butt scoot.

In motion, I think you have plenty of options. It'll take another fraction of a second for Yan to sprawl or snapdown and stop Aljo from moving.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I mean, other than to the back of the head and to the groin, punches are always a viable option. These dudes could just punch

Or, if they wanna throw knees, move to like, back side control and destroy the ribs, like GSP did to Serra in the rematch.

I can't think of any position/set up where there are no legal attacks available, only illegal techniques

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I rewatched the fight and Yan was winning pretty comprehensively. By the 4th he was really starting to connect hard although Aljo didn’t look like he was ready to go down or anything

DoombatINC posted:

Also iirc Petr ran around raising his fists and celebrating like a big rear end in a top hat after he landed the disqualifying blows, as though he was very pleased with what he had done

And this didn’t happen.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

blue footed boobie posted:

And this didn’t happen.

What I was misremembering was him raising his fist as his disqualification was announced by Bruce, which I just rewatched and did happen

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore posted:

Wow this is one of those cards that I feel bad poo poo talking, because there are some good, underrated, fighters on this card, but at the same time, yeesh. They deserve to be attached to a bit of star power to get eyes on them. There is also some real garbage here, too. Like, total poo poo. Awful. The worst. Completely terrible fights that shouldn’t be booked let alone be concentrated on a single card. At least we were saved from a “Scabbin’” Sam Alvey fight.

By the way this weekend’s Bellator card is really one of the best they’ve ever put together, so like, check that out too.

All of this is on ESPN/ESPN+. Prelims start at 3pm.

Middleweight Uriah Hall vs Sean Strickland
Hall is the guy who did those crazy wheel kicks on TUF and then broke Chris Weidman’s leg. I’m sure something happened in between. He’s an extremely inconsistent kickboxer: about half of his fights result in a “god he’s dead” KO, and half of them result in him looking confused. He’s on a bit of a streak with wins over former champs Weidman and Silva, and a toal streak of 4. His only loss since 2016 is to Paulo Costa. Strickland is a former “Who? Oh that guy. I guess he’s pretty good” welterweight. He’s kind of a dingus but he’s a dingus who is undefeated at middleweight after a motorcycle accident (dummy) derailed his career. He’s a Bisping-esque striker. This is on his Wikipedia page too: “During his training camp in the build up to this fight, he got into a physical altercation with sparring partner Orlando Sanchez, who he accused of putting on a submission too quickly.”

:thunk:

Anyway this is a decent fight, and I can see why they would want to make it a 5 rounder because they’re building these guys to possible title contention, but it still feels lacking.

Bantamweight Kyung Ho Kang vs Rani “Honey” Yahya
Yahya would be another “who? Oh that guy.” Fighter if his name weren’t so funny sounding and memorable . He’s a Brazilian grappler, and an extremely good one. He has like 22 UFC fights and a massive variety of submissions to his credit going back to the WEC days. Journeyman gatekeeper type of guy. Kang I honestly don’t remember. He’s from Busan, has a lot of split decisions and a RNC of Teruto. He has apparently been in the UFC since 2013 but just horribly inactive.

Nice … pluto etc.

Strawweight Cheyanne Buys vs Gloria de Paula
Buys is the girl who got scarf holded for 14 minutes by Monserrat Conejo. Gloria de Paula is a DWCS girl who is Jinh Yu Frey’s only UFC win. Hey, look down the card a bit. Notice anything? Neither of these girls have UFC wins but they have losses to fighters farther down.

:thunk:

Welterweight Jared Gooden vs Niklas Stolze
Gooden is 0-2 UFC with losses to Jouban and one of the Nurmagomedov’s. He’s a last-minute replacement. Stolze is a German who is 0-1 in the UFC with a loss to a guy who I don’t know.

Flyweight Zarrukh Adashev vs Ryan Benoit
Benoit is a low-end-of-the-division fly/bantamweight who I think came in via TUF way back when. He isn’t a very active fighter and I had him mixed up with someone else until I looked at his record. He’s on a 2 fight skid including a loss to Tim Elliott. Notably this fight was supposed to happen in May but Benoit missed weight so bad that the NSAC scratched it. This is loving stupid. Adashev is ALSO on a 2-fight losing streak. He’s the guy who came in heralded as some kickboxing savant and got smoked by Tyson Nam in 32 seconds. And he has missed weight at Bantamweight.

:siren:Welterweight Bryan Barbarena vs Jason Witt
Ahhh this is more like it. Bryan “Bam Bam” Barbarena is a Fight Lab guy who brings the fight. His fight against Vicente Luque was fight of the year material and double plus good worth watching. I think his chin is cracked, but he picked up a win in his last fight. Wit is 1-2 in the UFC. I can’t remember him, but he was on the wrong end of a 16 second Matthew Semelsberger KO.

Prelims
Bantamweight Wu Yunan vs Nicco Montano
Nicco Montano was the inaugural flyweight champion, then stripped for being unable to make weight, and since then has only one fight, a loss to Julianna Pena. She’s a top game grappler. Yunan is 1-3 UFC.

Featherweight Melsik Baghdasaryan vs Collin Anglin
Anglin is a DWCS guy. Most of his wins are by punches. Baghdasaryan is a DWCS guy. Both of them are making their UFC debuts.

:siren:Lightweight Chris Gruetzemacher vs Rafa Garcia
Gritz is a heavy handed but not really that successful guy who came in from one season of TUF a few years ago. He scored an upset over Joe Lauzon not that far back, but also was KOed by Alex Hernandez. Rafa Garcia is a Mexican who made a short-notice debut vs Nasrat Haqparast. It was his first professional loss, but it was a rad fight and he seemed cool. He’s mostly a grappler apparently, despite being a hard-headed Mexican.

Featherweight Danny Chavez vs Kai Kamaka III
Kai had a really fun UFC debut which he won by a narrow decision. He’s Hawaiian, both ethnically and stylistically. He’s 0-2 since then, but comes in as a late replacement for Dooho Choi. Chavez is 1-1 UFC and was presumably on this card to lose to the Korean Superboy.

Strawweight Jinh Yu Frey vs Ashley Yoder
Yoder has like a 3-6 UFC record. She’s a gumbi grappler girl. Frey is a boxing-based fighter who was the Invicta Atomweight champ. 1-2 UFC record.

Bantamweight Ronnie Lawrence vs Trevin Jones
Trevin Jones is from Guam and won his UFC debut back in March by a big KO, which I sadly don’t remember. Ronnie Lawrence is a DWCS guy who won his debut in February by KO.

Welterweight Philip Rowe vs Orion Cosce
Cosce is a DWCS guy making his debut. Remember when that DWCS super prospect was handed that dude from Hong Kong as a last-minute replacement and then gassed in 90 seconds and got TKOed? Well Cosce is his brother and they wOn tHeiR cOnTrAcTs on the same card. Rowe is a DWCS guy with a 0-1 UFC record.

:siren:NERD poo poo:siren:
Outside of the main and comain event, the 22 other fighters on this card have a combined UFC record of 22-39. 6 of those wins are Bryan Barbarena. Only Barbarena, Benoit, Gritz, and Yoder have more than 1 win, and those five add up to 14 of the 22.. Ten of these fighters have zero UFC wins.

This is a b-league card, so I’m going to post it in the B-league thread and quote it in the main one because I’m a salty bitch.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

that orlando sanchez thing actually was a dick move, they're doing some light grapple-sparring and just sort of half-heartedly locking up and sanchez just suddenly jon jones elbow cranks him

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

that orlando sanchez thing actually was a dick move, they're doing some light grapple-sparring and just sort of half-heartedly locking up and sanchez just suddenly jon jones elbow cranks him

Doesn't seem like wikipedia material to me.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think it turned into a wikipedia thing because they kept grappling and strickland backfisted him in the face and then posted the video of it on ig and it became a whole thing about safety in sparring and is it right to do those kind of legal but dick move attacks (yes, but not without warning against someone going into a fight).

imo more people should do that jon jones/aoki standing elbow crank, it's a badass move.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Brut posted:

If you rewatch the fight, a similar thing happens in the third round (I think). There Yan relieves pressure on the head, so Aljo starts standing up and Yan knees him in the head on the way up. It looked like Yan was trying to do it again, but Aljo was too tired to stand up quickly. Stupid move, but it looks like he had a plan.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
Also Tatiana Suarez is injured again
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CR2lnCQnuvW/?utm_medium=share_sheet

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Flaskraven posted:

If you rewatch the fight, a similar thing happens in the third round (I think). There Yan relieves pressure on the head, so Aljo starts standing up and Yan knees him in the head on the way up. It looked like Yan was trying to do it again, but Aljo was too tired to stand up quickly. Stupid move, but it looks like he had a plan.

I haven't rewatched the fight but at the time I remember Yan looking to his corner and saying something just before the knee as though he was asking if he could throw it. It felt like either bad corner advice or misinterpretation from Yan of what they were saying.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

GTO posted:

I haven't rewatched the fight but at the time I remember Yan looking to his corner and saying something just before the knee as though he was asking if he could throw it. It felt like either bad corner advice or misinterpretation from Yan of what they were saying.

I recommend rewatching it, I had forgotten how big of an asswhooping it was. Of course Yan was tired and asked his corner who gave him bad advice it seems. I had also forgotten how good Aljo looked early, but it seems to have really tired him out so I have a hard time seeing a path to victory for him in the rematch. Perhaps he could get a lucky submission.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Flaskraven posted:

Wait you seem to be saying Yan had a plan, I was talking about Aljo there, I mean obviously theoretically he'd like to stand up, but he was in that position for like 5 seconds and seemed to be doing completely nothing. He seemed too tired to stand up...at all, not just quickly.

https://i.imgur.com/CXgjxmm.mp4

Yeah maybe if he doesn't get kneed there Aljo eats a punch on the way up, stands up, the round ends, but then what?

I dunno, obviously it's MMA and anything can happen, but it seemed pretty clear what was going to happen this time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It was stupid of Yan and he should have known the rules to not throw it.
But I'm also not going to say that a Russian person who isn't a native English speaker (I don't know how much verbal English Yan understands) in the heat of the moment and 19 minutes deep into a championship fight is going to have as good of a grasp on the rules as a native speaker would in that situation, so his failure to initially understand why it was a foul and anything they went over back stage might not have had sunk in as well.

Sterling sucks and the fact he acts like a champ is embarrasing for him.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i mean that kind of situation has happened so many times under the unified rules. fights just seem to stop completely dead there since neither guy can do something without getting kneed or dq'd. that didn't stop yan though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

The fight was one sided enough that I don't really have much interest in a rematch and I'd much rather have Yan vs TJ instead.