Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Phigs posted:

Oh my god where has white pepper been my whole life? It's so drat good and almost makes me want to just throw away my black pepper.

Other recent discoveries are miso paste and fried shallots.

I periodically try new ingredients and most of the time they're okay but either not really my thing or not worth being a new staple in my cooking but I struck gold with my last order. I also have some MSG I haven't tried from it yet and I've got high hopes for it too.
This is why I think it's good to check out different cuisines by grabbing an authentic cookbook or two or finding some websites with authentic recipes. It's a great way to expose yourself to new ingredients you've never heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Update! I now have what an internet person calls fermented green walnut honey going as well.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Update! I now have what an internet person calls fermented green walnut honey going as well.

That juglowns.

juglones being the dark chemicals in black walnuts. that’s how black walnut kills other plants around it

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Black walnut vinegar might be cool too, if you find yourself with more of those bad boys.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a big rear end black walnut tree in my back yard that shits the things all over. I usually let the squirrels deal with them but I'm gonna get a batch of this going too.
I'll do a batch of vinegar too why not.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Hey, mediaphage, the weather here in London has been really hot so I looked up your recipe for ginger beer and made a batch. It's a trifle sweet but so, so delicious.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

therattle posted:

Hey, mediaphage, the weather here in London has been really hot so I looked up your recipe for ginger beer and made a batch. It's a trifle sweet but so, so delicious.

Tell me more about this recipe

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mister Facetious posted:

Tell me more about this recipe

A thumb of ginger (I used more and grated it)
Juice of a lemon
1 cup sugar (could maybe do with less)
1/2tsp yeast.

Mix with water in 2l plastic drink bottle. Release gas at least daily (it’s hot here so needed it quite often). After a couple of days strain through a Muslim* and decant back into bottle. Chill, then drink. It’s very good.

I refrigerated mine after a day but it kept fermenting even after that.

It’s very easy.

*a great autocorrect of muslin

therattle fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 21, 2021

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

After a couple of days strain through a Muslim*

Harambeer

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Homemade ginger beer is one of those things that I remember to make every 6 months or so. It's so good, so easy and so cheap but every drat time I make it, it just vanishes out of my to-do kitchen list like fecking clockwork for several months.

Also white pepper was always a boring aul fella ating boiled turnips thing, so finding out it was actually a very useful and interesting spice was a revelation.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
White pepper is a great way to add a pepper flavor to my creamy chicken and dumplings or other veloute-based things without putting little black flecks throughout it

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

threw together a batch of ginger beer just now, looking forward to sipping some this weekend

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
One of my very early chef mentors harbored an absolute HATRED for white pepper, and would always say that it tasted like a powder made from human bones. I never minded it myself but it rarely occurs to me to use it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

signalnoise posted:

White pepper is a great way to add a pepper flavor to my creamy chicken and dumplings or other veloute-based things without putting little black flecks throughout it

i like black flecks

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

pile of brown posted:

a powder made from human bones

:black101:

I’m going to tell my children that’s what it is

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Stringent posted:

i like black flecks

Honestly, I do too. It's just a neat thing it can do if for whatever reason you'd rather them not be visible.

Hey is there some kind of extract I can get or make to add more black pepper flavor without adding that uhh picante element? I don't have a problem with the heat from black pepper generally but if I want to have huge huge pepper flavor that has always meant more of that heat and I want to have the strongest drat black pepper flavor there is. What's up

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You could try pepper-infused vodka. I mostly used mine for cooking (adding to sauces/soups and such).

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pepper-vodka-recipe-2103970

Feel free to add another tablespoon or two of peppercorns to this recipe.

mystes
May 31, 2006

pile of brown posted:

One of my very early chef mentors harbored an absolute HATRED for white pepper, and would always say that it tasted like a powder made from human bones. I never minded it myself but it rarely occurs to me to use it
I think white pepper can sometimes go bad and develop weird flavors for some reason, so I wonder if they had had an unpleasant experience with that.

I had some preground white pepper that was absolutely foul before.

mystes fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 24, 2021

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Honestly, I do too. It's just a neat thing it can do if for whatever reason you'd rather them not be visible.

Hey is there some kind of extract I can get or make to add more black pepper flavor without adding that uhh picante element? I don't have a problem with the heat from black pepper generally but if I want to have huge huge pepper flavor that has always meant more of that heat and I want to have the strongest drat black pepper flavor there is. What's up

I've made balsamic reduction with a shitload of peppercorns in it and it got nice and fruity. Still had spicy though

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Not caring about black flecks is why I hadn't tried white pepper for so long as I thought it was just some silly thing french chefs added to white sauces just so you wouldn't see the flecks.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

What you’re talking about is dripping, and it is great. Really good for roast potatoes, but can be used in almost any application where you would use lard.

I render fat nearly every time we have a big joint of meat, and I just keep it in a tub in the fridge and break it out whenever I need to shallow fry anything, including onions for sauces.

In Britain, you can just go out and buy beef dripping at any decent sized supermarket :britain: sits in blocks next to the lard which is next to the butter. In the US I remember having to go hunt down 'manteca' in the ethnic aisle to get lard and beef dripping was not a thing at all.

But yeah, it's v good for roasties.

Edit: and yes, this is different from suet, which is usually this stuff https://www.atora.co.uk/ and available in the baking aisle at room temperature.

Edit edit: my Cornish pasty shortcrust recipe is about 50% butter, 50% lard, maybe slightly heavier on the lard (more lard == more flaky, more butter == more taste). I've never heard of using suet to make shortcrust but I guess I could see it? :shobon:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 25, 2021

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

feedmegin posted:

In Britain, you can just go out and buy beef dripping at any decent sized supermarket :britain: sits in blocks next to the lard which is next to the butter.

I know, I live in Britain, but the only thing better than beef dripping is FREE beef dripping!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Is dripping distinct from rendered need fat?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Dripping off of a seasoned roast will make it taste better but it's also rendered beef fat

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Had a branch full of the green walnuts come down after a storm.

Ended up with 3 qts of nocino and made 2 additional qts with some white vinegar.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

gently caress yeah :snoop:

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Just made three delitainers of seafood stock to clean out the freezer. What should I make with it? Current front runner is some sort of shrimp/corn/potato chowder, no real recipe yet.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

cooking for you and a person or for a bunch? chowder is a great way to go for the latter, bisque is how id go for the former

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So how do those of you who live with a spouse/so/one roommate that isn't an rear end in a top hat serve dinner? Two people really isn't enough to justify dirtying serving dishes, but I feel like already plated food makes it way more likely that people will gently caress off to whatever they were doing as opposed to eating together. I realized after leaving the industry I have no idea what two people with similar schedules do wrt to dinner and eating together. What's the norm on that?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So how do those of you who live with a spouse/so/one roommate that isn't an rear end in a top hat serve dinner? Two people really isn't enough to justify dirtying serving dishes, but I feel like already plated food makes it way more likely that people will gently caress off to whatever they were doing as opposed to eating together. I realized after leaving the industry I have no idea what two people with similar schedules do wrt to dinner and eating together. What's the norm on that?

You use the extra dirty dishes as a pretext to wash them together and bond (if you don't have a dishwasher).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The norm in my house is that we make time to eat together. When I had flatmates as a student, we ate together most days, simply because we had a chat before we all moved in together and we agreed it was important.

I know this is probably not that groundbreaking as advice goes, but I would suggest not asking strangers on the internet, and asking the person you live with. Especially if they’re not just a roommate but are in a relationship with you, that time is the best part of the day, and if my wife hosed off to do her own thing at dinner time, I would be devastated.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm asking because its interesting to see what other people do mostly. I was thinking about it tonight and realized I have no baseline for what the norm is.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My wife and I always eat together unless one of us can’t (has a call,is going out etc). I’m ashamed to say that it often used to be in front of the tv after my son went to bed but now that he eats with us we all sit down to eat together

When i had flatmates we’d usually eat together.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

I leave the food out on the stove and counters and serve buffet style then we go eat at the table. It doesn't feel fancy, but it's always nice. I literally always have guests for dinner though. Never know how many will stop by either, so there's a hard rule about cleaning up after yourself as soon as you're done with dinner. When everyone is done we all get up and clean or you don't get food the next time. As the only cook I'd never leave the kitchen if I didn't get people to help.

On the rare occasions it's just me and my husband, we always make fancy salads and watch an old musical or a film about baseball while we eat. Those are my favorite and I kinda wish that's what we always did. I know dinner conversation is nice but gosh I like shutting up and eating.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It’s usually just my husband and I eating at home. We always eat dinner together and we each take turns cooking doing 3 nights a week each on alternate nights and ordering takeout on Saturday nights (we used to eat out on Saturdays in The Before Times). Whoever cooks also cleans up after themselves.
Depending on what the meal is it’s either put into serving dishes and you help yourself at the table or it gets plated, there’s no real reason behind either tbh but some dishes just seem more like sharing plates I guess.
Anyway, we have a dishwasher so we don’t mind dirtying serving dishes most nights as they’ll just go in with the other dishes and prep stuff.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Just the two of us on weeknights (lot of nerds over on weekends!) And we eat together about half the time. If I am spent from work (I do city garbage customer service) I verbalize 'I'm crispy, mind if I go stare at the computer?' because sometimes my voice is fragged, my human saturation is max.

We try to do things after dinner at least once a week, like board or card games. Last night was a Choose Your Own Adventure co op game!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Growing up we always did full sit-down dinners at the table, serving dishes, all together, having a conversation, the whole deal.

I have my own place now, but when I have someone over, I usually divide the countable things onto plates (e.g. we each get a chicken leg or an ear of corn), then the uncountable stuff (rice, green beans, etc.) you serve yourself the amount you want out of the cooking vessel, then we take it to sit down together. I have a carafe of cold water on the table, and if you want more of anything else you can go grab it from the kitchen. I'd go with serving dishes if I had a dishwasher and a bigger table.

If you aren't eating together, whether you plate the food isn't what's making the difference imo

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 28, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I make dinner unless it's particularly involved or multi-tasky, in which case I ask my wife to lend an extra set of hands. I'm neurotic about portion sizes and stuff so I usually let her plate her food first and then I'll step in and do mine. I don't know what the purpose of this is, it just weirds me out to serve myself first and it makes me paranoid that I'm taking too much food. We also have very very different levels of spice tolerance so I try to serve stuff in such a way that we can each season dinner to our respective whims.

We're still in the process of redoing our kitchen space and it's been too hot to eat outside on a regular basis so we just eat in the living room. It's not very romantic to just eat on the sofa but it's still a solid time for us to catch up at the end of the day, chat, maybe watch something. Occasionally weather permitting I'll set up a picnic blanket on the lawn and we'll go eat out there, or in theory we could take picnic baskets down to the lake but we uh, just haven't done that yet. In general our rule has always been that whoever does the lion's share of the cooking doesn't do the lion's share of clean-up, but I try to keep things as tidy as I can as I go.

Lunch is a bit different. My wife works from home and I'm a teacher so I'm currently in between semesters and spent the past year working from home as well. My time is a bit less structured though so we either just fix our own solo lunches or I fix up something for both of us, plate it, and bring it to her in her office. Ditto if I make a nice-ish snack during the day I'll dish some up separately for her and run it to her desk, ie. if I grill shishito peppers or something.

We have not had guests over very often since moving but again, the kitchen/dining area is a maelstrom right now so group dinners are just in the living room or out on the patio, whatever chairs people can scrounge up. Not ideal but I think everyone understands that buying a house sucks and renovating a house is all about living in the middle of a bajillion compromises.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Our place is too small to have a dining table, so I usually have a serving platter in front of us on the coffee table and small bowls or plates to eat from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
We pretty much always eat together, unless something work related or otherwise very urgent makes it impossible for one if us to leave our desks for long enough (rarer now that people seem to have come around to the idea that working from home doesn't mean treating everyone as if they were in the office 24/7).

The majority of the time that we do eat together, using serving dishes or not depends on the food more than anything else. Something with a bunch of side dishes gets serving bowls out of practicality even if the whole meal took 20 minutes to make, something like a one bowl meal stew doesn't even if it took longer to make. Serving dishes for regular non-celebratory meals that don't practically need them only feel worthwhile if we plan to like, linger over the food for a longer time for whatever reason (because there's wine, or visitors, or both).