Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
this was posted in the youtube thread but i feel like it would strike a particular chord here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR25BVBsuS0

so in a sense it's just another "dell is a horrifying ordeal" video, but there's a particular sensation you get if you see what's coming. a real "oh nooooooo". i recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

CoolCab posted:

this was posted in the youtube thread but i feel like it would strike a particular chord here:

so in a sense it's just another "dell is a horrifying ordeal" video, but there's a particular sensation you get if you see what's coming. a real "oh nooooooo". i recommend it.
I've fixed computers for some real technical dunderheads but this guy might legitimately be too stupid to own a computer. No excuse for Dell Hell though.

Also thanks everyone for the coil whine info and feedback on that particular card, I'm going to jump on it. Wasn't expecting a surprise $800 purchase though so it might take a bit before I can actually pop it in. Great excuse to grab dinner and finally catch up with my bud though. Thanks again!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

I've fixed computers for some real technical dunderheads but this guy might legitimately be too stupid to own a computer. No excuse for Dell Hell though.

Yeah, a lot of mistakes were made, but you shouldn't need to have any knowledge of how computers work on a hardware level to buy and use one from Dell. The guy just needed some guidance, and Dell was not giving him any at any stage of the process. And in the end, he did build and set up his own PC with the help of friends.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 27, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, a lot of mistakes were made, but you shouldn't need to have any knowledge of how computers work on a hardware level to buy and use one from Dell. The guy just needed some guidance, and Dell was not giving him any at any stage of the process. And in the end, he did build and set up his own PC with the help of friends.

i found it particularly interesting because it goes into the psychology of how dell gets away with it. if you don't know anything about the industry, entirely justifiably, we all start ignorant and if you stuck my rear end in the Boat Building Megathread you can bet i'd be calling the stern the starboard or whatever that would send sailors reeling, then "dell" is your term for "computer". people assume, entirely naturally, that price and performance are correlated and that a premium price product will have sensible design choices. the language we use about it is extremely confusing (he fucks up describing "solid state" as a hard drive even in the final video so his comprehension still isn't 100% even though i'm sure it's been explained correctly, poo poo is not intuitive) and made much moreso via deliberate marketing obscurification.

but, more importantly, this is only part 1. they rely on the psychology as he outlines - they're entirely happy saying "oh so sorry sir it looks like you hosed up and bought some magic beans! have a nice day." when they're ultimately at fault, leaving the customer feeling foolish and too ashamed to ask for help. they drag it out as long as is possible to enhance the sensation and demoralize, have operators well trained in playing you and loving you over, kafkaesque technical and warranty support to infuriate and drive you away. someone like you or i see this and correctly go "holy poo poo what a scam" but if you don't know what you're doing, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, their business is more or less the shady used car sales of the industry.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
So, my parts are here, and my B550 mobo doesn't have an obvious sticker saying that it's been pre-flashed to be ready for my 5600x.

Am I best to assume that it isn't and and flash it (however I do that) before I put the cpu anywhere near it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I really don't think it would damage the cpu of it hadn't been flashed, it just wouldn't boot. It's up to you!

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I am looking to buy a new PC. I want to buy a pre-made because I don’t have the time or energy to do the hunt for a decently priced gpu. This thread is filled with horror stories about pre-mades. Are they actually that bad or is this just a case where you only hear about the issues and 99% of them are going to be fine. I am looking at the systems that are around 2,000 on the MSI and Origin sites.

For reference the current system I am using is a 6 year old HP prebuilt that has given me zero problems.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

tarbrush posted:

So, my parts are here, and my B550 mobo doesn't have an obvious sticker saying that it's been pre-flashed to be ready for my 5600x.

Am I best to assume that it isn't and and flash it (however I do that) before I put the cpu anywhere near it?

No, if the mobo was made in the last 6+ months it will have a recent enough BIOS that your 5600X should be fine out of the box (my Gigabyte B550i and 5600X worked fine out of the box already in March, pcpartpicker's warning is quite conservative). Edit: And I think my mobo's manufacturing date was last December, even. I'm not going to dig out the box to check, I'm just saying.

If you're worried about it you can do a quick build on top of the box/outside your case with just your PSU+CPU+cooler+mobo+RAM+GPU (assuming you don't have integrated graphics), hook a monitor to it, and ensure it POSTs. If it does, you're good to go build the system for real inside your case.

But as mentioned, even if you aren't good to go, you won't damage the CPU or anything, your system just won't POST and you can remove the CPU and flash the BIOS at that time, so there's not a real risk to just going ahead and building normally at this point.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Presumably testing the mobo with the CPU but without the heatsink installed won't be enough to cook the chip?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

tarbrush posted:

Presumably testing the mobo with the CPU but without the heatsink installed won't be enough to cook the chip?

Probably not but do it anyways.

Also I'd be absolutely shocked if it didn't have a compatible bios.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

tarbrush posted:

Where did you buy the mobo? Unless it was at some abandoned electronic store doing a firesale before closing down it will have the latest BIOS.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah it probably wouldn't hurt anything if you're really diligent about shutting it off immediately as soon as you see it POST, but why take the chance?

If you've got a big/complicated "real" cooler you don't want to install for the test, you can always use the stock cooler that comes with the 5600X; you don't even need to actually bolt it on if you're building outside the box and the mobo is lying flat and level, just put a dab of thermal paste and set it on top (ensuring any plastic is removed). It'll ensure you dissipate enough heat not to damage the CPU.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

I feel so drat conflicted by this video.

It is extremely funny for a lot of reasons. The main one being I’m sick and enjoy watching people drown due to their own stupidity. But also his storytelling is 100% unironic, which makes it incredibly funny. And drat whoever said you could see everything coming a mile away was correct. It was like watching a slow motion train wreck.

Im pretty sure this person is deadly serious that he lies face down on the floor with anime theme music blasting when he is sad.

I’m also irrationally angry that this person has an actual audience that enjoys his faux edgy content as he intends it, and that he has a genuine following.

All of that being said, the video does a somehow very good job of illustrating just exactly how scummy and predatory dell’s business practice is. Selling a €2500 PC with no SSD should be an actual crime. That’s loving insane. In addition, charging effectively €1k (dell NVME + adapter kit) is absurd.

I’m convinced the constant support run around exists to make people give up and just deal with what they got. And the fact that their tech wasn’t able to identify that there was an HDD in there and that was the reason for slowness and they just replaced the motherboard is not cool. And the “closer” was absolutely a media relations person hoping to bury this because of his following. I hate to admit it, but I do admire his integrity regarding that part of the process.

If I didn’t hate everything about him I would consider adding the video to the OP as reason #10376 not to buy a dell. poo poo maybe I still will even though he’s a level 99 neck beard.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I - hrm, could use some help actually. Kind of a weird one. You know how a few months back I was talking about upgrading my storage with a few TB of SATA? a cludge fix I did a year ago has come to bite me in the rear end, lol.

when I was installing my NVME SSD (not the SN550 but a very similar crucial equivalent) I could never get the bios to see the NVME. which made no sense at all because windows could see, allocate to, and eventually install on it, but I could never get the bios to boot to it. it shows up in the bios as a boot override option but the m.2 slot in Asus’s bios software was always listed as empty. eventually I just set it up to an old sata SSD with a long dead and broken OEM windows install as the first boot device. windows tries to boot, fails immediately, I get the prompt to select another drive within windows which can see the NVME drive, literally adds one second to the boot time if I hit “enter”. I more or less immediately forgot I did this because it was working, and to be totally honest the above is kind of blurry and guesswork.

well, you’ll never guess what happened when I pulled the old OEM SSD because I am out of slots. I can get into the bios just fine but I get a “Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key” when windows tries to launch in a plain command prompt font, I doubt windows is managing to even a little boot. Is there something obvious I could have done wrong and how can I fix it?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Tainen posted:

I am looking to buy a new PC. I want to buy a pre-made because I don’t have the time or energy to do the hunt for a decently priced gpu. This thread is filled with horror stories about pre-mades. Are they actually that bad or is this just a case where you only hear about the issues and 99% of them are going to be fine. I am looking at the systems that are around 2,000 on the MSI and Origin sites.

There's plenty of tech channels buying prebuilts and testing them at the moment and yes, actually, many of them do have huge problems. Anything from the almost standard badly matched or poor quality components, to inadequate cooling meaning the cpu will always be thermally throttled, to shoddy packing meaning the components literally rip themselves to pieces in transit.

That's not to say they're all terrible and in the current market its understandable to go down that route, but the quality does vary massively so run anything you find by this thread first.

Origin are good quality but very overpriced even by prebuilt standards.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

I - hrm, could use some help actually. Kind of a weird one. You know how a few months back I was talking about upgrading my storage with a few TB of SATA? a cludge fix I did a year ago has come to bite me in the rear end, lol.

when I was installing my NVME SSD (not the SN550 but a very similar crucial equivalent) I could never get the bios to see the NVME. which made no sense at all because windows could see, allocate to, and eventually install on it, but I could never get the bios to boot to it. it shows up in the bios as a boot override option but the m.2 slot in Asus’s bios software was always listed as empty. eventually I just set it up to an old sata SSD with a long dead and broken OEM windows install as the first boot device. windows tries to boot, fails immediately, I get the prompt to select another drive within windows which can see the NVME drive, literally adds one second to the boot time if I hit “enter”. I more or less immediately forgot I did this because it was working, and to be totally honest the above is kind of blurry and guesswork.

well, you’ll never guess what happened when I pulled the old OEM SSD because I am out of slots. I can get into the bios just fine but I get a “Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key” when windows tries to launch in a plain command prompt font, I doubt windows is managing to even a little boot. Is there something obvious I could have done wrong and how can I fix it?

I remember having similar issues with my asus bios. It’s been a while but here’s what I recommend based on what I recall. Tbh my system sits on the bios load screen for far longer than it should and I’m lazy and haven’t fixed it. I imagine this is related.

This is probably the solution

I’ll leave the numbered bits below incase it’s wrong, but you probably have legacy boot mode enabled instead of UEFI, which is required for NVME boot.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101693-My-hard-disk-drives-not-showing-up-in-boot-priority

1. Verify BIOS is updated.
2. Ensure the M.2 slot is set to NVME and not to sata (if I remember this was my problem).
3. If I remember correctly, my boot device is not the NVME itself, but something like “UEFI Windows fast boot?”
4. I think you have to enable the drive in the HDD disk menu to show in boot priority? I remember having to do something stupid like this and I think this is what the quote below is suggesting.

Here’s something suggested on another forum that makes sense in your case.

quote:

I had this problem too and just resolved it. For some weird reason, the ASUS BIOS only lets you use one drive in the Boot Priority list, but you can pick which drive that is. In my case, it had picked the drive I don't want to boot from by default, so I could only use that in the Boot Priority list. I could see the drive I wanted to use everywhere else in the BIOS, so it's recognized, but not in Boot Priority. It drove my crazy.

To change the Hard Disk to be used for Boot Priority, go to the Boot / Hard Disk menu instead. This cryptic menu lists all of your hard disks in a numbered order. Make your boot drive is the first one in the list (select #1, press Enter and pick your HDD) and go back to the Boot Priority menu. Now you should be able to pick the correct drive for your priority sequence.

I hope that helps!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
thanks for the response! well, i haven't been able to update the bios yet (version is like 2019 so it needs doing) but i've hosed around with an absolute ton of the settings. i only got the UEFI Windows fast boot option when the old OEM drive was attached - fortunately it works via a USB interface too although this is a cludge on top of a cludge.

absolutely no combination of settings I could find, switching between legacy and UEFI mode, loving around with the boot priority, csm, etc would let the machine see the relevant windows boot drive on the NVME SSD. it could see there was a drive attached but never see the relevant contents? never got the UEFI fast boot option while the old SSD was unattached. lets see if a bios update helps at all.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The other thing I saw was there is potentially a secure boot option that could be enabled that could prevent the boot.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
hrm. update, counter to my expectation the system immediately hard crashes when the USB SSD is removed (which i found out when the cheap enclosure i was using crashed) and it lists in windows as being "in use" and cannot be ejected. what the loving gently caress lol

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Butterfly Valley posted:

There's plenty of tech channels buying prebuilts and testing them at the moment and yes, actually, many of them do have huge problems. Anything from the almost standard badly matched or poor quality components, to inadequate cooling meaning the cpu will always be thermally throttled, to shoddy packing meaning the components literally rip themselves to pieces in transit.

That's not to say they're all terrible and in the current market its understandable to go down that route, but the quality does vary massively so run anything you find by this thread first.

Origin are good quality but very overpriced even by prebuilt standards.

How is one supposed to survive if they are clueless about computers. Where do you start looking for the info and what is the minimum amount of research you need to get good results. Just now I did a Google search "good gaming computer". The first was a PCGamer article "The best gaming PC in 2021". You open the article and see the title picture, "Oh hey, isn't that the AlienWare Ryzen that Tech Jesus did the horror video just week a go". If the computer magazines are in on the scam the normal people have no chance.

I just praise the lord that I have been a computer professional for two and half decades and computer hobbyist, dreamer and magazine reader for three and a half. Computers are so complicated and so important in most people's lifes that how can they go on living without at least this level of information. I shed a tear every time someone shows up that didn't know you need to unplug every secondary drive before installing Windows.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Most tech media is complicit, yeah. I guarantee you no one at PC Gamer actually try out those gaming PCs for themselves. Or if they do, it's just a "yep, this works and I am indeed playing doom eternal on this machine" for 15 minutes.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The difference here is this person is not a computer idiot.

This person knows how to edit in premier, and understands that CPU/GPU impact this, and seems to kind of know what an SSD is.

While this isn’t even minor knowledge for most of us in this thread, IMO as I am someone who fixes stupid people’s computer problems, this person is most likely the point of contact for tech problems from the REAL computer idiots in his life.

That’s the reason why this is funny. He’s a moron that should have absolutely known better with his level of skill and resource access. He should feel stupid because he got duped by dell with tricks that are designed for far stupider people.

If your work life is freelancing using computers, you need to understand how they work, or hire someone who does. That is your responsibility. Dells special brand of bullshit is for parents who want to buy super fast fortnite machines and people who only open web browsers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Saukkis posted:

How is one supposed to survive if they are clueless about computers. Where do you start looking for the info and what is the minimum amount of research you need to get good results. Just now I did a Google search "good gaming computer". The first was a PCGamer article "The best gaming PC in 2021". You open the article and see the title picture, "Oh hey, isn't that the AlienWare Ryzen that Tech Jesus did the horror video just week a go". If the computer magazines are in on the scam the normal people have no chance.

I just praise the lord that I have been a computer professional for two and half decades and computer hobbyist, dreamer and magazine reader for three and a half. Computers are so complicated and so important in most people's lifes that how can they go on living without at least this level of information. I shed a tear every time someone shows up that didn't know you need to unplug every secondary drive before installing Windows.

A lot of the $1200+ gaming laptops are pretty decent with good performance. And they seem to be built pretty well. If I wasn't going to build a desktop I'd get a gaming laptop like the Lenovo Legion and suggest others do it as well. I don't really trust any big companies to make a desktop.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
plenty of SIs build with non-proprietary parts, where they’re selling labour, a support package/software suite and a warranty and can maybe still offer a little volume discount (less since that’s where their profit comes from). a lot of modularity too with good SIs, I could buy my 3300X, normally unavailable outside of OEMs, because CCL sell CPU+ram+mobo kits preassembled and with a warranty as if it was a prebuilt.

just like used cars it’s a hugely predatory industry if you’re not fortunate enough to be informed.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Tainen posted:

For reference the current system I am using is a 6 year old HP prebuilt that has given me zero problems.

You can get good premades, it's just that any from reputable/trustworthy builders are going to have a real high premium even over other prebuilt sites. The most common ones like ibuypower or cyberpowerpc are tossups on whether or not it'll work at all, Dell and Alienware make awful stuff, etc etc. This one is just as overpriced as the rest, but I have one myself that's worked out fantastically and I couldn't find any complaints about their build quality anywhere. Corsair actually owns Origin PC but it's like their rip off contractor site while directly buying from them gives you better quality/deals. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Systems/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-i7200-Series-Gaming-PC/p/CS-9050011-NA

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Tainen posted:

I bought an ABS prebuilt a few months ago and it's been solid. ABS is a NewEgg brand, and not the cheapest builder. NewEgg has a bad reputation but I took a chance on their ABS line and it worked out.

The case, fans, and cooling system were all Corsair and the graphics card an ASUS Strix 3090. ABS will also use different name-brand parts, and there are a variety of builds available on the NewEgg site.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=abs&N=100897449%2050008484&isdeptsrh=1&Order=2

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The biggest X factor with ABS is the case and cooling setup. They have some decently ventilated cases, but a lot of them will likely run hot out of the box. Most of those that run hot can be fixed, though. You'll want to look at the images of the internals they have on their newegg listings and then buy some extra fans if it looks like you'll need them. Or in some cases, just moving the fans could help. (Like this one that has just one front-panel fan. Please give it some friends. Or this one with three fans placed directly against a glass panel. Move them to the other side of the rail they're attached to to give them some room to breathe.)

Anyway, ABS seems to have some 3070 and 3060 Ti machines at not-super-terrible prices, so if you're comfortable tinkering a little to get full performance out of them, they're probably not a bad choice.

edit: Also do not buy any ABS computer that uses the Gigabyte B450 D3SH motherboard. I don't know if they ever fixed this issue, but for many months people were posting in the newegg reviews and reddit about that motherboard not supporting the full speed of the RAM ABS was shipping their computers with, with no way to update the BIOS since it was a special ABS branded bios. So, 1) builds with those boards could still be hosed for all we know, and 2) be aware that ABS seems to modify the bios for the motherboards they use, and you will not be able to update them. ABS does not seem to provide bios updates.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 28, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Whew, just found out a friend ordered an 11900K with a $500 (AUD) motherboard to go with his 3070

He wants to do recreational overclocking which you don't really get with AMD, but fuckin WHEW that's an expensive CPU for what it is

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

Some of you guys are way to harsh on this guy, I've watched a few of his videos before but kinda dropped off the radar for me. He's hamming it up a bit in this video though, but it's obvious he's not really a tech person and there are probably lots of people who end up having this experience who either aren't super techy or have friends who know about this stuff.

stoicheian
Aug 10, 2007

Zeron posted:

This one is just as overpriced as the rest, but I have one myself that's worked out fantastically and I couldn't find any complaints about their build quality anywhere. Corsair actually owns Origin PC but it's like their rip off contractor site while directly buying from them gives you better quality/deals. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Systems/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-i7200-Series-Gaming-PC/p/CS-9050011-NA

Bought this a month ago to get a 3070 and it is fine. No issues, world probably buy again.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

After getting the 3070 Ti, I think I'm ready to put the rest together.

My original list, back in December, was this (I know it says generated now, it's the old list without any updates):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($1115.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 700 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($109.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $2162.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-28 10:30 EDT-0400

Starting from scratch basically, I put together a few parts, checking what's available now too, and including what I already have (970 and the graphics card) for wattage calculations (so you can ignore the prices on these).

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($256.34 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($1365.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $2183.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-28 10:31 EDT-0400

I'm having a hard time settling on a PSU to complete the core of the build, and then I want to look for a case and cooler.
As to the PSU, I think 750 would be a good spot to aim for? The card recommends as such, and there seem to be some decent-looking ones (Be Quiet Pure Power 11 FM 750W, and Gigabyte Aorus P750W, both around 95 euro, as well as the Corsair RMx 2018 RM750x at around 100) around that price, but there's the Be Quiet Pure Power 11 CM 700W at around 80 euro, and I'm not sure how to compare them. Modular or semi-modular seems easier to work with, and less clutter in the back.

Cooler doesn't seem too impossible, if the NH-15 is overkill, the Fuma 2 is half its price from the looks of things, so that seems like an easy choice. Between the case cooling and a proper CPU cooler I hope I don't have an issue, even if ambient temps rise (currently it's something like 30C indoors)

Finally, as to case, I'm looking for something with good airflow, ideally coming with fans (or I can buy those, it'd just be easier). My biggest concerns are sizing (since it's a big GPU), and cooling/filtering. I was recommended the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh, but Fractal Designs stuff also looks so nice (and comes with fans). If I can have glass on the side, that would be ideal, and there doesn't seem to be such a huge upcharge for that, at least compared to non-glass designs.

Any suggestions on the above? I've been using a Greek aggregator (skroutz) to compare prices, for what that's worth, since our availability can vary to the bigger markets. Budget is also non-committal, I'd like to aim around 600-700 euro (for CPU, motherboard, RAM, cooler, PSU, and case) but again availability/prices can vary here so it's not strict.

EDIT: Also, am I going to need any additional hardware? Fan controllers, for example, or anything not mentioned in the basic pcpartspicker list?

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 28, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The difference here is this person is not a computer idiot.

This person knows how to edit in premier, and understands that CPU/GPU impact this, and seems to kind of know what an SSD is.

While this isn’t even minor knowledge for most of us in this thread, IMO as I am someone who fixes stupid people’s computer problems, this person is most likely the point of contact for tech problems from the REAL computer idiots in his life.

That’s the reason why this is funny. He’s a moron that should have absolutely known better with his level of skill and resource access. He should feel stupid because he got duped by dell with tricks that are designed for far stupider people.

If your work life is freelancing using computers, you need to understand how they work, or hire someone who does. That is your responsibility. Dells special brand of bullshit is for parents who want to buy super fast fortnite machines and people who only open web browsers.

He did it on purpose to get 300k views on a youtube video. A person with that editing ability knows what they are putting inside their computer, they are just too lazy to "learn" how to build one themselves and don't mind paying the dumbass upcharge that comes along with a prebuilt. It's a terribly lovely video.

Dell is poo poo, but that person knew what they were doing.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I just ordered my new case, psu and cooler. I got the gpu last week which I shoved into my old build and I've had the motherboard/cpu/memory for a couple of months now. I was gonna cannibalize quite a bit out of the old system, including the psu and cooler but now I'm just gonna take the drives out of it. This system is total overkill but, I'm hoping this will be a sold 4k gaming system with a bit of video editing stuff and some vm's also.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor (£480.00 @ Currys PC World)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£95.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard (£291.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£144.97 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: HP EX950 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£88.25 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£93.18 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact TG Dark Tint ATX Mid Tower Case (£99.98 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£139.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1433.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-28 16:15 BST+0100

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Serperoth posted:

After getting the 3070 Ti, I think I'm ready to put the rest together.

My original list, back in December, was this (I know it says generated now, it's the old list without any updates):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($1115.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 700 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($109.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $2162.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-28 10:30 EDT-0400

Starting from scratch basically, I put together a few parts, checking what's available now too, and including what I already have (970 and the graphics card) for wattage calculations (so you can ignore the prices on these).

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($256.34 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($1365.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $2183.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-28 10:31 EDT-0400

I'm having a hard time settling on a PSU to complete the core of the build, and then I want to look for a case and cooler.
As to the PSU, I think 750 would be a good spot to aim for? The card recommends as such, and there seem to be some decent-looking ones (Be Quiet Pure Power 11 FM 750W, and Gigabyte Aorus P750W, both around 95 euro, as well as the Corsair RMx 2018 RM750x at around 100) around that price, but there's the Be Quiet Pure Power 11 CM 700W at around 80 euro, and I'm not sure how to compare them. Modular or semi-modular seems easier to work with, and less clutter in the back.

Cooler doesn't seem too impossible, if the NH-15 is overkill, the Fuma 2 is half its price from the looks of things, so that seems like an easy choice. Between the case cooling and a proper CPU cooler I hope I don't have an issue, even if ambient temps rise (currently it's something like 30C indoors)

Finally, as to case, I'm looking for something with good airflow, ideally coming with fans (or I can buy those, it'd just be easier). My biggest concerns are sizing (since it's a big GPU), and cooling/filtering. I was recommended the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh, but Fractal Designs stuff also looks so nice (and comes with fans). If I can have glass on the side, that would be ideal, and there doesn't seem to be such a huge upcharge for that, at least compared to non-glass designs.

Any suggestions on the above? I've been using a Greek aggregator (skroutz) to compare prices, for what that's worth, since our availability can vary to the bigger markets. Budget is also non-committal, I'd like to aim around 600-700 euro (for CPU, motherboard, RAM, cooler, PSU, and case) but again availability/prices can vary here so it's not strict.

EDIT: Also, am I going to need any additional hardware? Fan controllers, for example, or anything not mentioned in the basic pcpartspicker list?

You'd be able to get away with less than 750w, to be honest, though more head room is always good. For what it's worth I'm running a 3600 and a 3070 on a 550w PSU quite comfortably. I don't know how the 5600 and 3070ti stack up against their predecessors power-wise, but I doubt you'd need more than a 650w PSU at most. Semi- or modular are definitely preferable for the reasons you state. I don't know where the consensus is at with regard to PSU quality at the moment - I'm given to understand that even "good" brands will occasionally cheap out on a model with no real way to tell when they're doing it until afterwards. I'm using an EVGA G3 and it's really solid.

Lots of heaping praise about the Fuma 2, no way you'll suffer for using that over the Noctua, especially with only a 5600.

Case-wise, I don't know about tons of them but I'd just say that other than avoiding glass-fronted cases you'll be fine so long as you keep an eye on the max GPU size. Stuff like number of drive bays is up to taste, really. Generally, 140mm fans are better than 120mm (run slower and therefore quieter). I use a GameMax F15M with two 200mm fans up front and a 120mm fan at back, but I've been informed in one of these threads that 200mm are actually not so good, so maybe avoid that. Fractal Designs and Lian Li cases are well regarded ITT, so like I said, it comes down to taste and specific needs.

You probably won't need a fan controller unless you're going to want to really fine tune your case fans (like making them react to the temperature of your components). This isn't necessary at all, though, especially with the components you're using.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 28, 2021

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Barry Foster posted:

but I've been informed in one of these threads that 200mm are actually not so good, so maybe avoid that.

Now I swear I've seen the exact opposite here!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

You'd be able to get away with less than 750w, to be honest, though more head room is always good. For what it's worth I'm running a 3600 and a 3070 on a 550w PSU quite comfortably. I don't know how the 5600 and 3070ti stack up against their predecessors power-wise, but I doubt you'd need more than a 650w PSU at most. Semi- or modular are definitely preferable for the reasons you state. I don't know where the consensus is at with regard to PSU quality at the moment - I'm given to understand that even "good" brands will occasionally cheap out on a model with no real way to tell when they're doing it until afterwards. I'm using an EVGA G3 and it's really solid.

Lots of heaping praise about the Fuma 2, no way you'll suffer for using that over the Noctua, especially with only a 5600.

Case-wise, I don't know about tons of them but I'd just say that other than avoiding glass-fronted cases you'll be fine so long as you keep an eye on the max GPU size. Stuff like number of drive bays is up to taste, really. Generally, 140mm fans are better than 120mm (run slower and therefore quieter). I use a GameMax F15M with two 200mm fans up front and a 120mm fan at back, but I've been informed in one of these threads that 200mm are actually not so good, so maybe avoid that. Fractal Designs and Lian Li cases are well regarded ITT, so like I said, it comes down to taste and specific needs.

You probably won't need a fan controller unless you're going to want to really fine tune your case fans (like making them react to the temperature of your components). This isn't necessary at all, though, especially with the components you're using.

A 750w power supply wouldn't be necessary, but it would leave his upgrade options open down the road. It's better to buy a 750w PSU now and continue using it for the next 8 years than to buy
a 650w one to save a few bucks and then have to replace it in a few years because you're getting a more power-hungry GPU.

200mm fans can be fine. It depends entirely where and how they're placed. Their biggest drawback is the lack of static pressure--their ability to draw/push air through obstacles. Looking at the F15M, if there are no additional air filters under the mesh, it's probably fine. Mesh plus filters through can gently caress with 200mm fans. They're really that bad at static pressure.

Fan controllers aren't really for fine-tuning your fans. You can plug any PWM fans into your motherboard and tune them in software. Controllers tend to give you less control actually, but they give you the immediacy of pushing a button to change your fan speed between a set of presets. Like on the phanteks P400 series, it a built-in hub that uses DC control to make fans work at either 33%, 67%, or 100% power with the press of a button. Fine tuning fans like you say is different and requires 4-pin PWM fans. I'd argue they should be used even in circumstances where you aren't fearing your parts will overheat. PWM fans are less about optimizing thermal performance and more about optimizing noise performance. With a good fan-to-temperature curve, you can make your PC very quiet, especially in builds that run cool. It should be something everyone checks out in my opinion.

Serperoth posted:

The Corsair RMx brand is very well regarded and high quality. Be Quiet's PSUs are also quite good. I don't know anything about Gigabyte's PSUs. The Fuma 2 is indeed all you need for the 5600x. It's quiet and efficient at low-to-moderate heat loads. Even overclocked, it'll more than handle that 5600x. And for cases, both of the ones you mentioned are good. Most mesh-fronted cases will be good, though it doesn't have to have a mesh front. Solid front panels can be okay (though sub-optimal) if there are adequately sized vents on the corners like in the NZXT 710 or the Fractal Designs Define series. The Lancool II Mesh does come with a pretty decent fan setup already with two front 140s and a rear 120. I think ideally you have three 120s in the front in that particular case, but we're talking about a difference of a few degrees here. Other cases to look at are Phanteks' P400A/P500A/P600S, Be Quiet's Pure Base 500DX and Silent Base 802, and the Corsair 4000D/5000D (airflow versions).

As I said above, fan controllers are unnecessary because motherboards can control fan speeds quite well now. Some cases may come with fan hubs, though, which let you plug many fans into one fan header on your motherboard. Just make sure they're all 4-pin connections so you can make use of the PWM signal. I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head you might want. Other accessories tend to be used on a case-by-case basis.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I found the Corsair RMx (2018) in white, at 750W so I'll be going for that I think, since I decided on a case as well, but good to know there's some leeway. And the Fuma 2 should be a solid pick too for the price. Like Dr Video Games said, might as well spend a little bit more (seems to be about 10 euro per 100W increase) and be safe in mind for the next few years rather than save there.

As to case, I'd love the Meshify C, but I realize that my GPU and its clearance will be tight, so that probably won't do. The Phanteks ones seem to be either too expensive or unavailable here, but out of the rest everything except the Silent Base 802 seems to fit within the budget. Some of the specs seem to be off, the Lancool II Mesh for example lists 2x140mm fans on the website, but every one available to me here lists 3x120mm ones as included. The Pure Base 500DX seems to go with 3x140, for 90 euro, which seems like great value for money, and looks spacious as hell too.

Good to know about the other peripherals. I'll probably look into a GPU bracket though, probably the one that screws into the back, just to be safe, it's a big card and for only :20bux: why not?

Right now I'm looking at this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($1299.99 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.91 @ Newegg Sellers)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2423.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-28 17:12 EDT-0400

The case isn't a done deal, just a very likely option, but other than I think I'm set, after all these months. Need to source the parts still, but other than that... :toot: Any last sanity checks I should be aware of?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Serperoth posted:

The case isn't a done deal, just a very likely option, but other than I think I'm set, after all these months. Need to source the parts still, but other than that... :toot: Any last sanity checks I should be aware of?

Yes. Don't buy the Samsung SSD, it's overpriced in whichever market. It looks like you can get the thread favourite WD SN550 for RRP and that's one of the best price to performance NVMe drives available.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yes. Don't buy the Samsung SSD, it's overpriced in whichever market. It looks like you can get the thread favourite WD SN550 for RRP and that's one of the best price to performance NVMe drives available.

I already have the SSD, it was a gift a couple of months back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Serperoth posted:

I already have the SSD, it was a gift a couple of months back.

Carry on then! It's a very good SSD, just not worth the price premium over the SN550 if you were paying for it.