Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps he will support her point by making her redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Town naming chat:

There's a trilogy of books which I love (especially the grumpy sod adolescent anti-hero!) - Left Hand of God trilogy - and the place names seem really random - don't ask me for a specific example from the book but the sort of thing you might see is Leeds just a few miles from Barcelona or something - so it seems he just pulled names out of a hat.

Then I read an interview with him and it turns out all the towns mentioned are the names of towns within about 250 miles of each other in the US where they pinched existing town names but to a European audience it seems wacky!

quote:

“ Aren’t you a bit small for the Wrath of God, Mr Cale?’
‘I could cut your head off and stand on it. Then I’d be be taller.’”

https://www.paulhoffman.co.uk/book-shop-1/2017/7/18/the-left-hand-of-god-trilogy

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

have you tried becoming a recognised smack trader?

mate smack was the first thing to go off the shelves when the food shortages started

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

I don't know how daily mandatory police beatings will solve poverty though??

bootlicking to solve hunger?

maybe if everyone becomes a cop?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Everyone will be employed to stop and search everyone else.

Ash Crimson posted:

mate smack was the first thing to go off the shelves when the food shortages started
Good opportunity for arbitrage then.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobstar posted:

I do have a nasty sore throat but I think that's more because I blasted some baked beans into my face before they'd cooled down properly :(
wrong end mate

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Beans should neither be too hot or too cold before blasting them up the backside. Putting anything that isn't around body temperature up there is asking for trouble.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have read several twilight fanfics that beg to differ.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Cornish folk tale in which Jack trades his family cow for magic beans to blast up Jill's backside, to discover she is distended by a magical beanstalk

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/n3kocardiff/status/1420071264740388870?s=21

Turns out razors behind posters aren't an urban legend. Be careful out there, folks.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think they're one of those things that were originally a myth but life imitated art. I've definitely heard of real cases of this for a couple of decades now, and it happened during the Irish abortion referendum, sadly

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Regarde Aduck posted:

have you tried becoming a recognised smack trader?

a professional boxer?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Smack is only 40p in Wigan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_oIys5KS4A

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

kecske posted:

a professional boxer?

:golfclap:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
*points at foundry flying past* nationalized^

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1420327727958212609?s=20

^Offer only valid for industries that support ability to bomb foreigns

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

This and them having to work out how to defend Duffield again has made a very fun morning.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Town naming chat:

There's a trilogy of books which I love (especially the grumpy sod adolescent anti-hero!) - Left Hand of God trilogy - and the place names seem really random - don't ask me for a specific example from the book but the sort of thing you might see is Leeds just a few miles from Barcelona or something - so it seems he just pulled names out of a hat.

Then I read an interview with him and it turns out all the towns mentioned are the names of towns within about 250 miles of each other in the US where they pinched existing town names but to a European audience it seems wacky!

https://www.paulhoffman.co.uk/book-shop-1/2017/7/18/the-left-hand-of-god-trilogy

Ooh I remember reading this series, I think I bounced off after being weirded out by the names. Going from Memphis to Paris or something like that, in a fantasy world. Maybe I should have stuck with it!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
https://twitter.com/karamballes/status/1420040653434675206

So sick of it all.

Just constant overwhelming tidal waves of hateful, harmful bullshit, spread by liars, psychos and lunatics, engulfing us all, setting the narrative and the tone before we even realise it's happening, and here we all are holding up our little cocktail umbrellas like Wile E. fuckin' Coyote trying to hold it back

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

https://twitter.com/karamballes/status/1420040653434675206

So sick of it all.

Just constant overwhelming tidal waves of hateful, harmful bullshit, spread by liars, psychos and lunatics, engulfing us all, setting the narrative and the tone before we even realise it's happening, and here we all are holding up our little cocktail umbrellas like Wile E. fuckin' Coyote trying to hold it back

Deeply depressing tweet but i know that guy so this a slightly weird intersection of the UKMT and real life here. Good egg and a union guy through and through.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Barry Foster posted:

So sick of it all.

sitting here with my red string wondering what the Degrees To Mont Pel­erin count is for this particular pack of arseholes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

So sick of it all.

lmao (also sad lol (sad lmao?)) at that list.

There's a conspiracy but it's all generated by social media AI association and nudge theory.

Also can't tell the difference between authority and expertise. In the matter of boots, they need one up the rear end.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Also can't tell the difference between authority and expertise. In the matter of boots, they need one up the rear end.

You've never heard an expert described as an authority on his subject? It means exactly what you would expect; when someone speaks with authority you should defer to them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's not usually what is meant by authority when it comes up in a list that includes "more authoritarian" and "follows orders and likes someone to take charge" though, that's Adorno's authority in terms of 'authoritarian personality', not Bakunin's authority in terms of 'someone who I judge knows what they're doing more than me'.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Deeply depressing tweet but i know that guy so this a slightly weird intersection of the UKMT and real life here. Good egg and a union guy through and through.

get him to join the thread! (or perhaps don't if you do actually like him)

Guavanaut posted:

lmao (also sad lol (sad lmao?)) at that list.

There's a conspiracy but it's all generated by social media AI association and nudge theory.

poo poo gives me the loving creeps, swear to god

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm tolerant of ambiguity and chaos but also desperate for someone to daddy dom me.

Also definitely going to start describing everyone who has more friends than me as "oversocialized"

The two genders also: empathetic and machiavellian.

Like i have actually read the prince and machiavelli is empathetic, because he devotes a fair amount of the book to saying how important it is to understand and appeal to the emotions of others.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 28, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I saw one of those Bring Back The Smile creeps JAQing off about vaccinations the other day. Just proves it's all culture war nonsense, since vaccinations are the fastest route back to other people's smiles (which exist only for their benefit, of course). But no, masks are bad, vaccines are bad, and even if vaccines are good, why are you still wearing masks if they're so good, heh, sheeple :smuggo:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bold to assume I am going to be smiling if I take the mask off.

There was a lass at work today who looked about ready for the meteor to wipe us all out because it was four in the morning and she was on checkouts. Was heartening honestly, everyone should be so honest.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm tolerant of ambiguity and chaos but also desperate for someone to daddy dom me.
It reads like a horoscope, but for other people. Or like one of those employee psychoanalytic test things (so a horoscope, but for other people).

Your employee is a Taurus, that means they're tolerant of others but also need some time for themselves. They enjoy creative input, but need to be given limits.

Bobstar posted:

But no, masks are bad, vaccines are bad, and even if vaccines are good, why are you still wearing masks if they're so good, heh, sheeple :smuggo:
I'd love to know what the "masks are bad, vaccines are bad, lockdowns are bad, social distancing is bad" people actually would propose as an alternative, but I think it's just "I want things to go back to normal" and nothing else, that's why all their language is about how everyone else is afraid.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The most depressing thing is that when deaths go back up and delta starts really spreading they'll flip right over into "see, we tried lockdowns" (you didn't) "and they didn't help!" (They would have if you chodes had done them properly).

(Whoever it is that's already racking up the word doomposting, gently caress off and don't bother replying).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Just for you, Owlie, I'm going to say that I have been absolutely loving furious for the last week and a half or so. From the moment I'm aware of what's going on around me as I wake to the last few drips of full consciousness as I slip into the night's drowse. If you could only see my face it would bring you warmth and joy

I am untethered, and my rage knows no bounds!!!

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 28, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's good for getting you up in the morning but bad for your long term health unfortunately.

Guavanaut posted:

I'd love to know what the "masks are bad, vaccines are bad, lockdowns are bad, social distancing is bad" people actually would propose as an alternative, but I think it's just "I want things to go back to normal" and nothing else, that's why all their language is about how everyone else is afraid.

Probably "covid isn't real, or could have been prevented if we just nuked china"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Every morning i wake up and open palm slam twitter into my own face etc

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/28/queen-secretly-lobbied-scottish-ministers-climate-law-exemption

Is Grandma...evil?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

The intellectually honest will admit that they don't care if other people die, they've had enough of crazy world. The intellectually rabbit-holed will say Covid doesn't exist. In either case, they need to mock us for being "scared" as justification.

The actual position of "vaccines are awesome but not magic, masks are fine and very important, social distancing is one tool of many, and lockdowns suck and should just be a fire-break for the first couple of weeks while we set up a super-efficient tracing system" is far too nuanced and requires a government that believes in governments governing, so is obviously moon-speak to them.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The most depressing thing is that when deaths go back up and delta starts really spreading they'll flip right over into "see, we tried lockdowns" (you didn't) "and they didn't help!" (They would have if you chodes had done them properly).

(Whoever it is that's already racking up the word doomposting, gently caress off and don't bother replying).

Cases are actually falling off relatively quickly at the moment, party I assume because people got scared at the increase, partly because many are having to isolate, and (I think) mostly because kids aren’t in school any more.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

I think she runs on diesel, has anyone checked

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There was also the big spike after the euros because the gammons are morons.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

It's good for getting you up in the morning but bad for your long term health unfortunately.

I wish I learned this fifteen or so years ago, because now I'm pretty worried it's the only genuine emotion I still have left

Bobby Deluxe posted:

On the back of this, wanted to canvass the thread for opinions

My partner, my friend and I booked tickets for a small-ish festival at the end of August (We Out Here, if anyone cares). We booked it earlier in the year before Delta turned up to mulch everything, back when being vaccinated was still an excellent guarantee that we wouldn't get infected or sick. We got an email yesterday saying that we have until Saturday to decide whether or not we want to ask for a refund or roll over our tickets and accommodation for next year. Or we can sell our tickets on Sunday - no word as to whether there'll be other opportunities to sell. Everyone has to do a LFT before the festival and those who test positive are also allowed to roll their ticket over - no word as to whether accommodation will roll over as well.

I hate that I'm being asked to make this decision now, because it's too goddamn early to know whether or not it's going to be too dangerous to go at this stage. Sure, it looks like cases are levelling off, but given the extreme infectiousness of delta I simply don't believe that this is going to be a long term trend, and hospitalisations and deaths are going the wrong way and fairly quickly too.

On the one hand, they're clearly taking a lot of precautions - most things are outdoors, they're making big improvements to ventilation in tents and things, any enclosed tents are mandatory masks, the mentioned LFT requirement, etc. On the other, with delta it doesn't matter if you're outside or not anymore and it only takes less than a minute's contact to be infected, and breakthrough infections are not uncommon and vaccinated people are able to infect others. On the gripping hand, it looks like with Delta vaccine efficacy wanes after six months or so as antibodies disappear (perhaps because in the time it takes the innate immune system to spin up it is able to reproduce at 1260% speed compared to Alpha). Given that this probably means that Delta is never going to go away but circulate continually amongst the vaxxed and the unvaxxed, in some sense I might actually be safer now than I will be next year. Unless by the end of August Delta is surging hard, then it will clearly be completely insane to go to a festival. But then if it's that bad the organisers might pull the plug, but that only matters if I don't give up on going in three days time.

What would you do? I know none of us are fortune tellers and none of us know what's gonna happen in the next month or so. My gut instinct is "don't go to a loving festival you idiot", but also this is really the only thing I've had to look forward to all year and I'll be crushed if I say no and then it goes ahead and everything's fine. I dunno what to do.

And yeah, I know, first world problems, I do get that it's a very nice problem to have

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 28, 2021

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Barry Foster posted:

I wish I learned this fifteen or so years ago, because now I'm pretty worried it's the only genuine emotion I still have left

On the back of this, wanted to canvass the thread for opinions

My partner, my friend and I booked tickets for a small-ish festival at the end of August (We Out Here, if anyone cares). We booked it earlier in the year before Delta turned up to mulch everything, back when being vaccinated was still an excellent guarantee that we wouldn't get infected or sick. We got an email yesterday saying that we have until Saturday to decided whether or not we want to ask for a refund or roll over our tickets and accommodation for next year. Or we can sell our tickets on Sunday - no word as to whether there'll be other opportunities to sell. Everyone has to do a LFT before the festival and those who test positive are also allowed to roll their ticket over - no word as to whether accommodation will roll over as well.

I hate that I'm being asked to make this decision now, because it's too goddamn early to know whether or not it's going to be too dangerous to go at this stage. Sure, it looks like cases are levelling off, but given the extreme infectiousness of delta I simply don't believe that this is going to be a long term trend, and hospitalisations and deaths are going the wrong way and fairly quickly too.

On the one hand, they're clearly taking a lot of precautions - most things are outdoors, they're making big improvements to ventilation in tents and things, any enclosed tents are mandatory masks, the mentioned LFT requirement, etc. On the other, with delta it doesn't matter if you're outside or not anymore and it only takes less than a minute's contact to be infected, and breakthrough infections are not uncommon and vaccinated people are able to infect others. On the gripping hand, it looks like with Delta vaccine efficacy wanes after six months or so as antibodies disappear (perhaps because in the time it takes the innate immune system to spin up it is able to reproduce at 1260% speed compared to Alpha). Given that this probably means that Delta is never going to go away but circulate continually amongst the vaxxed and the unvaxxed, in some sense I might actually be safer now than I will be next year. Unless by the end of August Delta is surging hard, then it will clearly be completely insane to go to a festival. But then if it's that bad the organisers might pull the plug, but that only matters if I don't give up on going in three days time.

What would you do? I know none of us are fortune tellers and none of us know what's gonna happen in the next month or so. My gut instinct is "don't go to a loving festival you idiot", but also this is really the only thing I've had to look forward to all year and I'll be crushed if I say no and then it goes ahead and everything's fine. I dunno what to do.

And yeah, I know, first world problems, I do get that it's a very nice problem to have

Personally I'd rollover and try to do something fun with my partner instead so it's not a total disappointment. Plan a picnic or a fun movie night (or both, hell stretch it to the full weekend the festival was supposed to be!), but most importantly don't sit around bummed that you couldn't go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Welp, that's me out of the Labour party. "Maybe you can vote in internal elections for some people who aren't bad" kept me going a while but I've run out of reasons to believe they're salvageable outside of a few specific MPs, and giving money for Keir Starmer to spend is the exact opposite of helpful for humanity.

Incidentally, bizarre that there's no way to actually leave, you just let your payment lapse. There're buttons online for "thinking about leaving? Fill out this form" but they're all just "Give us your details so we can try and talk you out of it" rather than actual controls that do things.