Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Westy543 posted:

Speaking of chargers; electrek compiled some info on how the supercharger network is opening. https://electrek.co/2021/07/26/elon-musk-explains-tesla-open-supercharger-network/

Tldr you make a Tesla account, and have to input the stall in the app to initiate a charge. If you are in a market where CCS isn't the standard Tesla uses (North America), you'll have to buy an adapter as well. Other potential changes to pricing coming too.

I wonder how / if they plan to price these to avoid slow charging cars from clogging up the network?

They could limit which stalls are available to other vehicles. They already set charge percent limits on busy stations (kick you off at 80%), I could see them setting a minimum charge speed requirement. Or a bathtub shaped pricing curve where charging at a lower rate costs more than charging faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

They make the cars change the limit to 80% when you plug in at a busy supercharger, but you can still alter it back to 100 manually.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

Yeah the used market is crazy I looked into selling my leaf for more than I paid but I gotta keep it for 3 years or fork over the 5k I got from charge up NJ. Come onnnn delta variant!

lmao same, it is fun peeking through and going "wow this is $4k more than I paid for a brand new one, neat" though

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Feels like this could be the catalyst for moving NA to CCS as well for Tesla. But who knows. Some regulation forcing CCS would be nice. Adapters are annoying.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can we come up with something smaller than CCS? lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Charles posted:

CS and CS:GO are pretty big. :shrug:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Charles posted:

Something like the Tesla connector perhaps?

Why is CCS so huge and awkward anyway? Is its size there to make it reliable even after millions of connect/disconnect cycles or something?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I don’t have an EV yet but I have watched a ton of EV road trips on YouTube. The Tesla connector looks so elegant and no one has a problem plugging in their cars one handed. All the CCS people cut their videos when they plug in because it seems to require both hands to get it connected.

Is it really that bulky?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
No, they're just bulky and have a press-action to unhook.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

CCS is designed to fit onto different slow-charging standards to avoid having to have a completely separate fast charging plug like chademo has. That's why it's so bulky. Chademo (which is also bulky for reasons that are unclear to me) is a two-handed operation most of the time, but newer CCS plugs are easy to plug in with one hand. Of course, opening the charging door might take up your other hand as well, depending on your order of operations and whether you have a motor-actuated charging door controllable from the charging plug like Tesla does.

Edit: It occurs to me that Tesla may have gone with CCS in Europe because of the bureaucratic hassle it is to get a new plug certified for use with high voltage across a multitude of safety-conscious governmental organisations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pun pundit posted:

CCS is designed to fit onto different slow-charging standards to avoid having to have a completely separate fast charging plug like chademo has. That's why it's so bulky. Chademo (which is also bulky for reasons that are unclear to me) is a two-handed operation most of the time, but newer CCS plugs are easy to plug in with one hand. Of course, opening the charging door might take up your other hand as well, depending on your order of operations and whether you have a motor-actuated charging door controllable from the charging plug like Tesla does.

Nah, it's laziness. The DC pins could have been combined with the L1/L2 pins on the J1772 connector and worked just fine. Manufacturers didn't want to add a few lines of logic to detect if what's plugged in is asking for DC or AC.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Nah, it's laziness. The DC pins could have been combined with the L1/L2 pins on the J1772 connector and worked just fine. Manufacturers didn't want to add a few lines of logic to detect if what's plugged in is asking for DC or AC.

Isn't there also a potential liability concern here? If your programmers make a mistake and at some point connect battery DC directly to AC power there's no telling what equipment your car can damage or what fires your car can start, which will get you involved in a lot of court cases. Physically separating the two power interfaces is easier to make safe.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pun pundit posted:

Isn't there also a potential liability concern here? If your programmers make a mistake and at some point connect battery DC directly to AC power there's no telling what equipment your car can damage or what fires your car can start, which will get you involved in a lot of court cases. Physically separating the two power interfaces is easier to make safe.

Eh, the same could be said for dc fast charging. What if I don't correctly wait for the weld check and end up welding the contactors together? Or accidentally open the contactors under load?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I was not prepared for how hefty the supercharger cord was the first time I used one. :sweatdrop:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrYenko posted:

Gives you the ability to run a proper welder in and near the garage as well.

Or a kiln.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
CHAdeMO is all I've every used but it's definitely easy enough to do one handed. The only issue I've run into is too short cables on some chargers that are set back from the park (I don't know how you're supposed to connect a car that doesn't have the charge port on the front to those)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

I was not prepared for how hefty the supercharger cord was the first time I used one. :sweatdrop:

The V3 one’s are a lot lighter since they’re liquid cooled.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the J1772 connector itself only designed for up to 100A?

Though I'm sure they could probably modify it somehow to handle higher voltage/current... Like Tesla did with the type 2 connector in the EU.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I just took delivery of a Model Y today! I’m feeling a combination of new-car excitement and new-car anxiety.

The car itself seems great. I went about 55 miles today and used maybe 15-20% of the battery, my home charging setup worked perfectly, everything major on the vehicle seems to function fine, the ride is quiet and smoother than I remember, and even my wife seems to like it.

I’m also 100% anxious about denting/scratching/crashing the thing. I think part of it is because it’s the first vehicle I’ve bought instead of leased in about a decade so I could potentially be upside-down on the loan, and part of it is because there’s no 360 camera and I used that constantly on my other vehicles.

Just one issue I’ve found so far: one of the coat hooks won’t stay latched. I’ve got a mobile service appointment for it next week.

So far things are good though!

Get out of the kiln!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
https://insideevs.com/news/522882/electrify-america-ends-chademo-installations/amp/

Starting in 2022, ElectrifyAmerica will no longer be installing Chademo connectors on stations outside California.

I'd be really funny if they started installing Tesla connectors instead.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Congrats on the Model Y!!! 😍

Wanted to share some pics of my 3, cause today was car wash day for her.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I don't find the CCS connectors very bulky. The only "problem" I ever have is with the thick rear end leads when they are twisted, but that's also only when I decide to forget that I shouldn't use the hand I hit when I slid of my bike.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sonic Dude posted:

I’m also 100% anxious about denting/scratching/crashing the thing. I think part of it is because it’s the first vehicle I’ve bought instead of leased in about a decade so I could potentially be upside-down on the loan, and part of it is because there’s no 360 camera and I used that constantly on my other vehicles.

I'm very happy to have PPF on my car. There's often grit and pebbles on the roads up here, and while it's not magic it definitely helps with not getting stressed about scratching it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Get out of my garage.

:tinfoil:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pun pundit posted:

Edit: It occurs to me that Tesla may have gone with CCS in Europe because of the bureaucratic hassle it is to get a new plug certified for use with high voltage across a multitude of safety-conscious governmental organisations.

Tesla only recently made the switch over to CCS with the Model 3.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I don't find the CCS connectors very bulky. The only "problem" I ever have is with the thick rear end leads when they are twisted, but that's also only when I decide to forget that I shouldn't use the hand I hit when I slid of my bike.

Longer cables have to be thicker, Tesla superchargers all have pretty short cables. A Tesla connector would require a thicker cable just the same if it were longer.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 28, 2021

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Tesla only recently made the switch over to CCS with the Model 3.

Yes, but at least in Norway they used the standard European plug for level 2 charging with two pins also used for fast charging (as allowed for in the CCS spec, so technically already CCS) instead of their proprietary connector.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

I just took delivery of a Model Y today! I’m feeling a combination of new-car excitement and new-car anxiety.

The car itself seems great. I went about 55 miles today and used maybe 15-20% of the battery, my home charging setup worked perfectly, everything major on the vehicle seems to function fine, the ride is quiet and smoother than I remember, and even my wife seems to like it.

Just one issue I’ve found so far: one of the coat hooks won’t stay latched. I’ve got a mobile service appointment for it next week.

So far things are good though!

Get out of the kiln!

Just out of curiosity when did you order?

edit: and how accurate was the EDD on the website to when you got a VIN?

mattfl fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 28, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My mach-e was supposedly built on 7-17, but hasn't shipped yet. All the GTs made so far have an ETA of 10/31 but most people think that's a placeholder, maybe because they're doing final QAQC on the first batch or maybe because they're waiting on chips. I kind of assume they're not waiting on chips because they'd like to get a few of the GTs out in the wild even if it means some regular mach-es (or F-150s, or whatever) get delayed a little longer, but who knows.

Still don't know for sure if I'll take delivery, depends on how well I like the seats and headrests and the dealer not being a shitbag.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pun pundit posted:

Yes, but at least in Norway they used the standard European plug for level 2 charging with two pins also used for fast charging (as allowed for in the CCS spec, so technically already CCS) instead of their proprietary connector.

Ah, I see. They do have type 2 on all their cars in Europe.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fame Douglas posted:

Ah, I see. They do have type 2 on all their cars in Europe.

Apparently they need it because it's not uncommon to have 2 or even 3 phase power in a home, and type 1 J1772 plug doesn't have enough possible hot leads to handle that power.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mustang Mach-e Raptor spotted, note longer/wider wheelbase and increased ground clearance.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Expedition EV chassis mule is my vaguely educated guess. The current Expedition has a wheelbase 5" longer than Mach-E which seems ballpark right, it's using six lug wheels, and since it's the SUV counterpart to the F-150 it seems like a pretty obvious next step after Lightning.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bet you’re right. I wouldn’t have guessed the wheelbases were that close.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wolrah posted:

Expedition EV chassis mule is my vaguely educated guess. The current Expedition has a wheelbase 5" longer than Mach-E which seems ballpark right, it's using six lug wheels, and since it's the SUV counterpart to the F-150 it seems like a pretty obvious next step after Lightning.

The Expedition is BOF and a test mule would look like an f-150. You might be thinking Explorer but that wheelbase is only 1.6 inches longer.

This is likely a mule for the electric compact pickup teased by ford's communication director around the Maverick's launch.

https://twitter.com/mrlevine/status/1402268994585960469

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hydrogen FCEV update: Do you make this blue-hydrogen deal with the devil

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Tayter Swift posted:

Hydrogen FCEV update: Do you make this blue-hydrogen deal with the devil

'Renewable'

95% of this is from Fracked Natural Gas.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Powershift posted:

The Expedition is BOF and a test mule would look like an f-150. You might be thinking Explorer but that wheelbase is only 1.6 inches longer.
No, I initially thought Explorer but ruled it out almost immediately due to the wheelbase and 5 lug vs 6 lug. I meant Expedition. With the extra bits underneath you can't see what frame is under the body, and in a world where a Corvette C8 mule looked like a Holden Ute gone NASCAR and a Bronco mule was an ultra-short Raptor I don't see any reason to care what body is wrapped around whatever's underneath.

quote:

This is likely a mule for the electric compact pickup teased by ford's communication director around the Maverick's launch.

https://twitter.com/mrlevine/status/1402268994585960469
That said this is obviously a reasonable conclusion as well.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

wolrah posted:

No, I initially thought Explorer but ruled it out almost immediately due to the wheelbase and 5 lug vs 6 lug. I meant Expedition. With the extra bits underneath you can't see what frame is under the body, and in a world where a Corvette C8 mule looked like a Holden Ute gone NASCAR and a Bronco mule was an ultra-short Raptor I don't see any reason to care what body is wrapped around whatever's underneath.

That said this is obviously a reasonable conclusion as well.

5 lug wheels on that maverick skateboard though.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

'Renewable'

95% of this is from Fracked Natural Gas.

I'm assuming it's the base 33% of California's Renewable Portfolio Standard, so probably whatever hydro/wind/solar is used by SMUD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Any ID4 owners here? Have driven it twice and really like it (it’s not fast at all, but smooth, super roomy and very maneuverable), but it appears to lease like poo poo and I’m not willing to take the risk of buying one given the unproven resale. Lease rates are around $600/mo for a 36/10 and residuals are under 50%. I feel like VW is underselling that - dunno. It feels hard to want to jump at that, though, when I can buy another better resale brand and flip it in a few years for significantly less money out in the long run and not have to deal with the first model year bugs. And yet I really want an EV. Nothing else is really an option right now (Tesla long wait for Y, even worse with a Mach E), so would be going ICE if I skip the ID4.

I feel like if it wasn’t such a lovely car market these would be leasing for $150 less a month, and would go for it then, but no such luck right now.