Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah it’s a VW EOS.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Eos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
wish we'd gotten the mk5/6 Cabrio here....and the GTI version that IIRC Europe got

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Uthor posted:

The MKV GTI was just two thumb screws and pull it out, but it was under the dash, so you had to do it upside down and backwards, and there was a weird angle to the filter that you had to kinda slide sideways while inserting, which made me take like 7 attempts to get it to sit every time.

Also it punished you if you were slack on changing it out by dumping a bunch of poo poo in your face while you're trying to see how to pull it out.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
I had an intermittent EPC light on a Mk7 GTI, but it finally went solid, and the car stopped making boost. I ordered up a fancy Bosch OBD2 reader which promised VW codes, but it didn't show anything, so I've sprung out on a OBDeleven. Poking around the usual places, I'm guessing the waste gate is stuck, which will be a pretty cheap fix, but I won't know until I can pull some sort of code. At least the waste gate looks easy to reach.

Half the VW dealers in the world have boilerplate "EPC light on? Call us!" pages which make searching for causes a pain. I don't know who recommended they do that, but it's annoying.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

GabbiLB posted:

Quick little update on some stuff with my GTI.

I finally got an obdeleven and did a little messing around with it. My car wasn't set to the hot country setting for the ac, so I switched that over. I don't think theres too much of a difference but I feel like it maybe blows colder a little sooner?

I also coded the esc off button, and did rough road optimization off. I don't have the starting vibration setting with my 2020 so that still seems to be keeping me from doing a burnout. I'd have to pull the ABS fuse for that, but honestly that's not important for me.

Today as well I installed a BFI dogbone insert. HUGE difference in how the car launches and shifts. I am very very happy with this. I was getting wheel hop on dry surface even after putting summer tires on, and this seems to have cured it. The car pulls really well now, and it's so much easier to bang out quick shifts. The vibrations aren't that bad either, little shakey at idle and that's supposed to go away after it breaks in a bit. I definitely recommend anyone with a manual to do this.

Still haven't put in new speakers like I said I was going to. I wanted to grab them from crutchfield because I like their support and they are pretty close to me but they have been out of stock of the stuff I wanted to get for the past 2 months or so :<

edit:

vvv Looks like an Eos vvvv

Tell me more about this dog bone thing, I have a Mk 7 GTI. Is it easy to install, like do on the driveway type thing?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

monkeytennis posted:

Tell me more about this dog bone thing, I have a Mk 7 GTI. Is it easy to install, like do on the driveway type thing?

Basically it's just a poly bushing insert for the dogbone engine mount. That's the mount that deflects the most when you are on throttle.

You need enough room to get a deadblow hammer or something similar underneath the car to smack the insert in. Also probably need room to get a massive breaker bar in as well. It's not the easiest thing to do on your back but it's probably doable. After you get the bolt loose a little you can lube up the insert and then smack it in with the hammer. Hardest bit is making sure both parts of the mount are still aligned when you put the new bolt in. Took me maybe 10 minutes to do but I also had the car in the air for it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So the driver's seat in my 2 door 2015 GTI decided that it didn't need some parts..

Without this piece, the seat won't lock back into place after I move it unless I pull up on the handle that usually leans it forward.

It looks like this should go here:

Any idea what this part is called? I can't seem to find it on the parts.vw.com diagrams, they just want me to buy the entire lower frame for... $400

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

S8 2001 burned only 10,2L/100km during a 900km cottage trip last weekend. It was a new record made by my friend, who was driving my car. My previous record from a similar distance was 11,8L/100. Seems driving peacefully helps a lot with fuel economy.

AC was on and car had three passengers with lots of gear.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
How are the transmissions in stick shift A4s? Do people like these in manual?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Against all better judgment, I recently joined the ranks of the accursed with a MkVI GLI. Just had a coil pack go bad, resulting in a single cylinder misfire and engine light on. I swapped them all out, resolving the issue. Does the light reset itself after some time, or do I need to clear the codes?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

devicenull posted:

So the driver's seat in my 2 door 2015 GTI decided that it didn't need some parts..

Without this piece, the seat won't lock back into place after I move it unless I pull up on the handle that usually leans it forward.

It looks like this should go here:

Any idea what this part is called? I can't seem to find it on the parts.vw.com diagrams, they just want me to buy the entire lower frame for... $400

just about everything VW makes will have a part # stamped on it, take a good look at the parts in hand, or a super bright flashlight out to what remains in the car, and inspect for those #s.

For example, I know the little chunk of plastic I found in the rear footwell is a child restraint latch cover, and I can get a new one for $7.22.

Probably a good candidate for a junkyard expedition if nobody is selling a replacement.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Head Bee Guy posted:

How are the transmissions in stick shift A4s? Do people like these in manual?
Every car is better with a manual, hope that helps.

Serious answer: I have experience with the B5 and B9 manuals. The B5 5-speed is fine, if a bit notchy; I think the 6-speed is the same as in the C5 A6, which rules, maybe my favorite manual ever. The B9 manual is also just fine, but certainly a better option than the auto.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I had a 6-speed B8 S4 and it was fine, though the clutch had a very ill-defined friction point. I put a short shift kit in mine and it made it a lot more fun.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Serious answer: I have experience with the B5 and B9 manuals. The B5 5-speed is fine, if a bit notchy; I think the 6-speed is the same as in the C5 A6, which rules, maybe my favorite manual ever. The B9 manual is also just fine, but certainly a better option than the auto.

Side note on the b9 manual, it was only available with quattro "ultra" so if you're hot and horny for "real quattro" torsen full time all wheel drive you have to go with the DSG.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Does the B9 A4 have a different transmission than the S4? Because the B9 S4 is a silky smooth ZF 8 speed which is highly praised by basically everyone.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The best auto is inferior to the worst manual.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Murgos posted:

Does the B9 A4 have a different transmission than the S4? Because the B9 S4 is a silky smooth ZF 8 speed which is highly praised by basically everyone.

B9 has the 7 speed DSG, it's my first automatic in a decade and I miss the third pedal around once a week for 5 minutes. It fits the vibe of the car.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Murgos posted:

Yeah the A4/A5 have the 7 speed DSG as mentioned. The S4/S5 and RS4/RS5 have the 8 speed ZF. I also think that the A4 and A5 now come with Quattro Ultra which is FWD only until the front wheels lose traction and then it sends power to the rear wheels.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The best auto is inferior to the worst manual.

Hard disagree. The dsg (in the GTI at least) is very good. Most other autos I'm pretty indifferent about though.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Suburban Dad posted:

Hard disagree. The dsg (in the GTI at least) is very good. Most other autos I'm pretty indifferent about though.

Having driven my sisters manual Sentra I also have to disagree. It is very possible for a manual to be so lovely I never want to use it.

edit:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

have you driven a CVT sentra tho

I've driven an Altima with the cvt. If those are the same units I would still prefer that to the manual.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 29, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GabbiLB posted:

Having driven my sisters manual Sentra I also have to disagree. It is very possible for a manual to be so lovely I never want to use it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh my god i test drove one of these pieces of poo poo when my old 94 sentra XE was on its way out.

i have never experienced such a pathetic vehicle, and i had repressed the memory until just now

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I had a shop loaner ~92 civic automatic when my supra was rear ended and I took it back after I left because I thought something was broken/there was a limiter on it. Nope, just crazy slow. I literally cannot imagine owning one and convincing myself I should spend money on it to change the performance.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

So about a week in with the 034 Motorsports ECU + TCU stage 1 tune on my 2014 S4. Thoughts:
- Holy crap does it wake the car up. It feels so much more eager and ready to run throughout the rev range.
- Increased rev limiter is very cool. Not only does the car pull all the way to redline now but it's shifting at 7100 instead of 6400. This should help with the issues I was having at AutoX with slightly missing shifts and the car shifting for me when I bumped the limiter.
- It does make the car a bit more aggressive in negative ways - I notice the engine will get into a slight droney point on uphill grades that it didn't before. Also there's a feature where it cranks the fan way up to keep engine temps low in staging lanes etc. but it's a bit much for idling in my driveway.
- Not sure if it's in my head but I swear the car feels louder even during regular use

Overall it's really impressive how much the car changes with just the tune. I doubt I'll do much more to the car performance wise because the power feels great, maybe add an intake just to get more intake noise.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I put some RokBlokz mud guards on my car this weekend. Fronts were very easy, you can just turn the wheels to install them. I had to jack the rear up and remove the wheels to be able to get the rear guards in. It's probably possible to do it without taking the wheels off but I can't imagine how big of a headache it would be.
The guards themselves are nice quality and fit pretty well. Also you can remove them and go back to stock with no issue which I like a lot.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cool, been thinking about getting some flaps myself. Do you have to drill through the wheel liner like the OEM ones? Can you post a side profile for their fit too?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

nitsuga posted:

Cool, been thinking about getting some flaps myself. Do you have to drill through the wheel liner like the OEM ones? Can you post a side profile for their fit too?

There is no drilling required for these. They use the stock holes for the liners. In the rear you need to puncture the liner and use a clip on the back but you can just screw right through that.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
^the mud flaps look nice and much better than some others i've seen

also, post deets on the wheels. neuspeeds?

i've been looking at some for a GTI that I don't even own(yet)

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Styles Bitchley posted:

^the mud flaps look nice and much better than some others i've seen

also, post deets on the wheels. neuspeeds?

i've been looking at some for a GTI that I don't even own(yet)

The Neuspeeds are nice because they are made for VWs and you don't have to worry about offset or hub rings or anything. The specific ones I have are the RSe11Rs, looks like the price went up a bit since I got them though, not much of a surprise I guess. They are almost 6lbs lighter than the stock wheels.

https://neuspeedrswheels.com/collections/vw-audi

movax
Aug 30, 2008

My cooling woes have returned again now (B7 A4) -- radiator fan now very quickly spins up and runs all the time, but the temp gauge (I replaced the CTS earlier this year) still mostly reads around the middle and sticks there, which is expected. Until today -- drove out for a hike and back, and on the way there... temp gauge actually started to spike up to ~75%. I had this happen before, like 5-6 years ago, and it was the thermostat -- turning on the heater and maxing it out dropped the temp gauge back down. On the way back... everything behaved normally, no issues. Stopped for gas, started going again... temp spike back again.

So -- either my new OEM CTS is bad, or thermostat is on its way out again. I know it is only around $75 or so -- any other quick ways to confirm its the thermostat specifically? I'm inclined to believe the engine CTS is still fine, as it reads in the middle, but as I understand it, a separate sensor drives the radiator fan speed. Doesn't look like an awful DIY for the thermostat, and I have a coolant leak / oil leak I want to investigate anyways, but if there's a quick troubleshooting flow I can follow to confirm its the thermostat... I'm all ears.

And to just confirm I'm not a total idiot -- thermostat is there to act like a thermostatic valve of sorts, probably wax driven, such that coolant doesn't flow through the engine block (?) until the engine is warmed up? If its partially blocked / hosed up, that would starve the engine of coolant potentially while the temp sensor might still read OK?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

movax posted:

My cooling woes have returned again now (B7 A4) -- radiator fan now very quickly spins up and runs all the time, but the temp gauge (I replaced the CTS earlier this year) still mostly reads around the middle and sticks there, which is expected. Until today -- drove out for a hike and back, and on the way there... temp gauge actually started to spike up to ~75%. I had this happen before, like 5-6 years ago, and it was the thermostat -- turning on the heater and maxing it out dropped the temp gauge back down. On the way back... everything behaved normally, no issues. Stopped for gas, started going again... temp spike back again.

So -- either my new OEM CTS is bad, or thermostat is on its way out again. I know it is only around $75 or so -- any other quick ways to confirm its the thermostat specifically? I'm inclined to believe the engine CTS is still fine, as it reads in the middle, but as I understand it, a separate sensor drives the radiator fan speed. Doesn't look like an awful DIY for the thermostat, and I have a coolant leak / oil leak I want to investigate anyways, but if there's a quick troubleshooting flow I can follow to confirm its the thermostat... I'm all ears.

And to just confirm I'm not a total idiot -- thermostat is there to act like a thermostatic valve of sorts, probably wax driven, such that coolant doesn't flow through the engine block (?) until the engine is warmed up? If its partially blocked / hosed up, that would starve the engine of coolant potentially while the temp sensor might still read OK?

The thermostat I think is a bimetal valve that is engineered to open at certain temperatures, thus including the radiator in the coolant circuit and therefore lowering the coolant temperature. When it's closed (before 90C is reached or whatnot) the water pump acts on the coolant to circulate it within the engine only. Without coolant flowing through the engine at all, you'd have big problems really quick because certain areas of the engine are much hotter than others and would expand/contract significantly differently. Also, the hotter areas would not be cooled enough.

Your issue could be a thermostat failure in a closed/semiclosed state, or some other issue blocking coolant delivery to the radiator or return to the engine. Next time this happens, pull over and put your hand on the radiator in different spots (on the front of the rad) and see if it's warm or cool. An overheating engine with a cool radiator is not having coolant circulate through that component.

I'd just replace that thermostat and see if that fixes it.

e: I looked this up, surprised to find that ?most thermostats do use wax chambers in some way.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 2, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I seem to recall encountering FOD in the radiator (rust flakes?) can cause this sort of intermittent behavior. Although that was on a much older vehicle with significant mileage.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A blessed universal truth has resurfaced in the waffleimages thread

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I guess I had been so busy with work I missed this, but Golf R estate would be amazing I wish we could have nice things over here

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Woah that rules.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TheBacon posted:

I guess I had been so busy with work I missed this, but Golf R estate would be amazing I wish we could have nice things over here

If we were allowed such forbidden fruit in the US I'd absolutely have one in my driveway.

Instead I spent an equivalent amount of money on a CUV to get my turbo AWD overgrown hatchback.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I was reminded yesterday that the European 1-series (ie the American 2-series) is/was a hatch, including the M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was reminded yesterday that the European 1-series (ie the American 2-series) is/was a hatch, including the M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i

My understanding is that is a completely different car and platform considering that’s a FWD based car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheBacon posted:

My understanding is that is a completely different car and platform considering that’s a FWD based car.

oh yeah that’s right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ok Comboomer posted:

oh yeah that’s right

its very complicated but the TL:DR is basically globally you have always been able to get a small RWD coupe or convertible from BMW, and that will continue with the G42, but over time the hatches and sedans have migrated to FWD. Right now, the Euro 1-series is FWD and is basically the equivalent to the 2-series Grand Coupe, which is FWD, unlike the regular 2-series, which is RWD.