Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Is there a list of who's a special attacker yet?

Physical Attack:
Charizard
Machamp
Snorlax
Absol
Garchomp
Lucario
Crustle
Greninja
Talonflame
Cinderace
Zeraora

Special Attack:
Venusaur
Pikachu
Ninetales
Wigglytuff
Slowbro
Gengar
Mr. Mime
Eldegoss
Cramorant

Most of them are what you would expect but a few of them are weird. Wigglytuff definitely seems like it should be physical and Charizard and Greninja could be either physical or special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Amazing, thanks! :cheers:

Another question, how do battle passes work? I'm temped to drop five or however bucks down on that pirate cinderace but... if I'm understanding it correctly I won't actually get it, would still have to grind? :bang:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

pokemon unite has changed my mind. hitting children is absolutely acceptable

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Another question, how do battle passes work? I'm temped to drop five or however bucks down on that pirate cinderace but... if I'm understanding it correctly I won't actually get it, would still have to grind? :bang:

Yeah buying the battle pass gives you access to the locked rewards but you still gotta play to grab em.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Avalerion posted:

You can pay for battle pass levels if you want, but that'll get pricey. Yeah, you'll have to grind.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Avalerion posted:

I wouldn't say its exactly grindy, but it is a commitment. There's a super finite number of levels you can earn, only 100 points a day that you can usually knock out in a couple matches, and idk a few hundred a week. Depends on which quests you get though. So its less like how many hours are you willing to grind and more, how regularly over the next 2 months do you plan on playing. If the answer is much less than "every day" maybe don't get the BP

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
I love Snorlax so much!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bogart posted:

Going off of mainline game rules, I think it's a safe bet to say that Mr. Mime, Venusaur, Greninja, Ninetails, Cramorant, Gengar, and Slowbro are Special Attack based. Pikachu skirts the line since it's kinda poo poo in general, Wigglytuff seems like it would be physical based, Eldegoss might be Special but I don't wanna say definite yes, Lucario seems physical based if I take the move names as anything worth speculating from, Charizard is an in betweener.

The internet list sites say Eldegoss is an attacker. Also I need the "be mvp one time" missing to get Crustle. As a p5 support main how in the world do I do that. I think I may need to spam Cinderace or Pikachu for a day and get the MVP and then switch out.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

One thing to note about the Battle Pass is that, if you buy the pass for 8$ and max it, you'll get 4800 fashion tickets, which you could then convert into item enhancers and get one held item almost all the way to level 20 (it takes 560)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Goddamn Cinderace does such an absurd amount of right-click :stare: think I’m in love

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mfcrocker posted:

Goddamn Cinderace does such an absurd amount of right-click :stare: think I’m in love

There's a new update today, any patch notes? But yes, Cinderace is stupid. He's impossible to deal with.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There's a new update today, any patch notes? But yes, Cinderace is stupid. He's impossible to deal with.

Adds Gardevoir, fixes some small poo poo like the daily rollover time being 0000 GMT rather than whatever stupid wrong poo poo it said. Don’t think there’s anything balance related

E: if you scroll down on the maintenance notification on boot, the patch notes are there but pretty sparse:

Bug fixes
Text fixes
Shop Updates
Bug fixes: Charizard

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 28, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

What does this mean? Like, you can spam the r-button with her?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mandatory lesbian posted:

Na, more talking about auto-attacks. Sorry, dota habit :)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Don’t think there’s anything balance related

Since they don't list numbers on abilities or anything would we even know?

mandatory lesbian posted:

Cinderace's basic attack does stupid amounts of damage.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Gardevoir is hilarious; Future Sight+ has its cooldown negated if it hits an enemy player. Makes spawn camping incredibly cruel

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The internet list sites say Eldegoss is an attacker. Also I need the "be mvp one time" missing to get Crustle. As a p5 support main how in the world do I do that. I think I may need to spam Cinderace or Pikachu for a day and get the MVP and then switch out.
Don't forget that CPU matches can count towards missions. It's surprisingly easy to get MVP against bots even as a support.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Avalerion posted:

Since they don't list numbers on abilities or anything would we even know?

I guess the best you can do is just check the training dummy in practice mode

I know that cinderace does about 6.6k DPS at level 15 without items. Of the other attackers I tried, the I my one who comes close is greninja at 4k, and that's in melee.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Ok, take this with a grain of salt because I'm bad, but Gardevoir's Psyshock seems really strong.

Purple landmines appear around a target and each hit lowers its cooldown. I was just standing on the edge of teamfights chunking nonstop.

The ult is basically Gazlowe's Grav Bomb :

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kalko posted:

Ok, take this with a grain of salt because I'm bad, but Gardevoir's Psyshock seems really strong.

Purple landmines appear around a target and each hit lowers its cooldown. I was just standing on the edge of teamfights chunking nonstop.

The ult is basically Gazlowe's Grav Bomb :

Psyshock is really strong, especially early game. Tears through health pools like Cramorant

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay, I have to say something because I'm going insane

Trying to score on the middle set of towers is a waste of time. It's basically impossible. Respawn timers are like five seconds and they can use the jump pad to endlessly interrupt you. You're not going to score the +50, you're going to keep trying to fight the enemies endlessly until you die. Stop trying to score so hard, it's not worth the risk. Just go level up. If you're two levels above an enemy, you get basically zero exp for killing them, and if they just respawned, you're not knocking any aeos energy off of them, so you gain absolutely nothing for trying to battle them in the goal bubble. You're just going to die and give them comeback EXP for when Zapdos eventually rolls around, where your 30-point goal will be rendered totally obsolete anyways. Plus, if their middle towers are still around, they're very easy to run to and score on when the defenses are down. Please. I'm begging you. Stop trying to score on the middle towers unless you see literally the entire enemy team in a different lane. Stop trying to fight people under the middle goals. Please stop.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay, I have to say something because I'm going insane

Trying to score on the middle set of towers is a waste of time. It's basically impossible. Respawn timers are like five seconds and they can use the jump pad to endlessly interrupt you. You're not going to score the +50, you're going to keep trying to fight the enemies endlessly until you die. Stop trying to score so hard, it's not worth the risk. Just go level up. If you're two levels above an enemy, you get basically zero exp for killing them, and if they just respawned, you're not knocking any aeos energy off of them, so you gain absolutely nothing for trying to battle them in the goal bubble. You're just going to die and give them comeback EXP for when Zapdos eventually rolls around, where your 30-point goal will be rendered totally obsolete anyways. Plus, if their middle towers are still around, they're very easy to run to and score on when the defenses are down. Please. I'm begging you. Stop trying to score on the middle towers unless you see literally the entire enemy team in a different lane. Stop trying to fight people under the middle goals. Please stop.

Thanks, I needed this. I think I sorta knew it but brains are dumb.

(The other exception is probably if you get a rotom in that time, you may as well get a free dunk)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm REALLY curious what the allowed MMR spread is among teammates per game. Like, have other people made it to Expert 4 and still dont know basic rules about the game? I just can't believe that someone who has played a similar number of games would not know that you have to do Zapdos

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Scoring is where my MOBA instincts are kinda throwing up their hands in confusion here. What the heck are you supposed to do if you can't get a dunk, then? I've had quite a few games where my points were maxed out but we just couldn't win a fight decisively enough that I could get some free time under a basket. I suppose the answer is to just back the gently caress off and stop trying to force fights under their goal, but it just kinda feels bad, since then you "waste" time not being able to collect points and leaving orbs on the ground everywhere, and then you eventually die and lose them all anyway (or protect yourself at all costs and don't play as active a role in teamfights). It feels like the only "correct" answer is to win a big fight and dunk the points in, but if your team isn't able to accomplish this then there's no alternative that feels at all reasonable.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm REALLY curious what the allowed MMR spread is among teammates per game. Like, have other people made it to Expert 4 and still dont know basic rules about the game? I just can't believe that someone who has played a similar number of games would not know that you have to do Zapdos

You can tell teammate ranks from the top right corner of their profile border. Red is Great, light blue is Expert etc

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Phenotype posted:

Scoring is where my MOBA instincts are kinda throwing up their hands in confusion here. What the heck are you supposed to do if you can't get a dunk, then? I've had quite a few games where my points were maxed out but we just couldn't win a fight decisively enough that I could get some free time under a basket. I suppose the answer is to just back the gently caress off and stop trying to force fights under their goal, but it just kinda feels bad, since then you "waste" time not being able to collect points and leaving orbs on the ground everywhere, and then you eventually die and lose them all anyway (or protect yourself at all costs and don't play as active a role in teamfights). It feels like the only "correct" answer is to win a big fight and dunk the points in, but if your team isn't able to accomplish this then there's no alternative that feels at all reasonable.

Kill Rotom for instadunk?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

rotom/zapdos for instadunk but also recognize that its a subtle comeback mechanic for the other team, along with the dunkable zones disappearing and becoming harder to dunk in as you start to win more and more

you dont get points for "not dying with 50 orbs on top of their 5 stack" but its just as important as actually scoring yourself when it comes to winning the game

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly, the problem I run into more often than not is teammates thinking they have to take Zapados. You have to contest Zapados, you don’t have to take it. If you are already winning, there is absolutely no reason to agro Zapados. Even if you are losing, you are typically far better off starting with a 5-man roam for an easy kill or two to give you an advantage during the Zapados fight.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
"We need Zapdos" is 90% of the time the fastest way to spend your resources getting it to half and then dying, letting the enemy team take it and dunk on you for a huge reversal

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Phenotype posted:

Scoring is where my MOBA instincts are kinda throwing up their hands in confusion here. What the heck are you supposed to do if you can't get a dunk, then?

This is exactly the thing that I feel like leads to my teammates desperately trying to fight off enemy after enemy after enemy at their goal and then inevitably getting killed anyways

So, like, that fight you're looking for where every member of the other team dies for long enough to dunk? It's never going to happen. At least, not before the 2 min mark. Respawns are going to be five seconds long, so you kill one guy, you're just going to have another one jump after you, and another, and another. If you have more than 30 points, you just have to accept that you're not going to be able to dunk unless the enemy team leave the net wide open. You're either going to get overwhelmed and killed eventually which will give the other team a bunch of EXP, or you end up leaving and wasting a bunch of time. Just because you're full on energy doesn't mean there aren't other things to do. Rotom/Dreadnaw, or poo poo, just be killing creeps for EXP. Hitting your move upgrades before the enemy team is huge. Killing creeps also lowers your ult cooldown so you can use it more frequently. The other thing is that, I can think of maybe a couple games where ehhhhh MAYBE if I just could have gotten that 30-dunk we would have won. But like, almost no game comes down to that slim a margin. By the time Zapdos happens, you're getting double points and your whole team is dunking at once. Almost every game ends with a 150-200 point difference at minimum. So...yeah. It's just sort of pointless to fight an endless battle against a wave of enemies for a single dunk.

Zodack posted:

"We need Zapdos" is 90% of the time the fastest way to spend your resources getting it to half and then dying, letting the enemy team take it and dunk on you for a huge reversal

The prevalence of Cinderace and Gengar in basically every game have made the "we'll steal it" strategy way way way riskier. I had one game where I was like "alright everyone's here let's g-what the gently caress do you mean they got it already it's only 1:50"

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 28, 2021

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

generally agreed but i would note that often the best play is simply to help your team in the eventual loss 5v5. the late game priority queue is like:

1) dunk any held points on a non-spawn location
2) get zapdos, or if you're losing/behind, stall at zapdos for as long as possible
3) fight the other team as far away from your base as you can, for as long as you can, because they can't score while they are fighting you

it's never a good idea to abandon your team once the clock hits like ~3 minutes or so, you'll contribute to a win better by being 5 people doing a stupid thing rather than 4 people doing a stupid thing and 1 guy farming arduinos

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So...yeah. It's just sort of pointless to fight an endless battle against a wave of enemies for a single dunk.

I've won a number of games from grinding the enemy into the dirt until they are so demoralized they won't fight back. So not entirely pointless.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I got to dunk because the score it gives you at the end seems to care far more about that than anything else. Managing to defend the top lane against two by myself while my team murders everyone in the bottom lane doesn't contribute to that number at the end and it hurts my feelings!

But I also could be dumb trying to defend the top lane in the first place so who knows!?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Also you get a 100+ score bonus in Ranked to your placement points. No respect for us Defenders out here trying to solo queue

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Some of you have not experienced the sweet joy of watching two or three enemy players rush by while you hide in the bushes, then double back when they see you dunking behind them.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

What's the best Gengar build

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

gay_crimes posted:

What's the best Gengar build

Sludge Bomb Hex not even remotely close never pick the other two skills

Items are probably Float Ball, the one that gives you SpAttack for doing dunks (just do six small dunks), and then either Rocky Helmet or Leftovers just for a little extra defense/HP/survivability

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I've only been playing Charizard and Machamp and usually go bottom. Is Gengar usually jungle? I just tried doing that and someone else went middle with me despite me claiming it so I went bottom and got owned

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

gay_crimes posted:

I've only been playing Charizard and Machamp and usually go bottom. Is Gengar usually jungle? I just tried doing that and someone else went middle with me despite me claiming it so I went bottom and got owned

Gengar is usually jungle, yeah, but you can get away with laning. You just have to play super super carefully because he's got a tiny HP pool and defense. Don't engage on anyone unless it's a totally free kill until you get all the way up to Gengar, even though Haunter can sludge hex combo he's easy to retaliate against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, I'll admit I picked Pikachu as my first free character because I set my username to DennoSenshi. Makes me laugh every time I see it.

Well, now I actually kinda like the game... But I have no idea what character license to buy with gold. Is there some kind of free trial system to test a character against bots or something so I can see what character to get?