Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

HD DAD posted:

It also occurs to me this is the first time the OSTs for 4-6 will be getting official rearrangements. I can’t wait to fight ExDeath in fully orchestrated glory.

I don't know if I wanna hear dancing mad rearranged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

HD DAD posted:

I can’t wait to fight ExDeath in fully orchestrated glory.

Well have I got the game for you then

it's FFXIV, it's always FFXIV

But yeah the FFIII soundtrack owns, gimme the Invincible theme

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can't assume who has and hasn't played 14 yet (see the above Crystal Tower boss theme) but there are excellent arrangements of both phases of Exdeath's fight in there

also an orchestral arrangement of the entire Dancing Mad suite which is just loving :discourse:

I honestly will most likely play all 6 of these just for the music.

e: beaten like Alphinaud's ego

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I appreciate all the vids of XIV boss fights because the music is legit stellar, and it makes me sad I don’t have the hours to dedicate to powering through that beast of a game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Even if the pixel remasters suck rear end it seems we’ll get some really good music out of it.

They look fine except for their terrible font choice for the EN versions.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I can't assume who has and hasn't played 14 yet (see the above Crystal Tower boss theme) but there are excellent arrangements of both phases of Exdeath's fight in there

also an orchestral arrangement of the entire Dancing Mad suite which is just loving :discourse:

I want FFXIV to do a Chrono Trigger themed raid solely for new versions of the songs. We'd get Soken's take on Crono/Frog/Magus/Robo/Lavos themes and World Revolution at the very least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Violet_Sky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKNOlDtZluU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe I should get the PC versions since that will probably be a quick mod...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don’t personally care for a lot of the new sprites

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mandoric posted:

Not yet, it looks to be worldwide simultaneous (at least, they're definitely not on JP Play Store and the Japanese promo site has the date as 7/29 rather than 7/28.)

Can't wait to not actually play, just datamine and experiment to find changes.

Yeah simultaneous release. I just tried to get a head start to KILL CHAOS by setting my VPN to Auckerland, New Zealand and exiting/reloginning into Steam with no luck.

Now to stand at the window and watch the rain fall.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

zedprime posted:

Being able to have your final boss fight end at the last second based on a dice roll is total bullshit. But I think if you use Veil at all you have good enough chances to avoid it, especially if you have enough DPS to just end the fight quickly. Throw a death resist item in addition to Veil and you should be pretty well set unless the random numbers especially hate you.

There's a ton of hearsay about what did or didn't trigger the death to hit or how it targeted but I think the summary of what really mattered is Veil kept you safe enough unless your DPS was really lacking.

So I decided to test out for myself how Orphan 1's targeting for Progenitorial Wrath goes, which took a lot longer than I thought it would but the results were at least pretty clear. To keep this from being an insanely big post I'll just get to the main points.

More or less, the information you'll see from the speedrun guides, and the people who make/advise on them, is how it actually works. Orphan 1 has several phases, but the relevant 2 phases here are when it's in Consummate Light (after it gets to 80% life) and Opposite Extremes which are both when it actually has the move. The speedrun guides/people who know their stuff (as far as I was able to easily look up) just sorta say generally "the first Progenitorial Wrath has priority for Medics and Sentinels, and after the first one it's random", and that Sentinels actually inflicting Provoke doesn't affect this.

From what I tested, this is how it works though there's more to it. It's not that it's the first vs later Progenitorial Wraths that have the differences, it's in the phases. In Consummate Light after 80% life, Progenitorial Wrath will prioritize Saboteurs/Medics/Sentinels above other roles, and it will randomly select between those roles if multiple of them are in the paradigm. In Opposite Extremes, it seemingly has no priority and will target anyone at random. And indeed, Sentinels using provoke doesn't seem to have any targeting effect; it still will build Chain/chain duration if it lands, but Progenitorial Wrath will still target whomever.

And to your main point about Veil, that indeed does seem to help. Granted, it could've been crazy good luck, but it seemed pretty consistent that the characters with Veil never insta-died. Without Veil, it seemed like a normal 50% chance of insta-death.

A minor note, which is just baseless conjecture from another observation I had from the testing, is that I still think it's really rare to get the Party leader targeted by Wrath. Out of the countless times I tried to get Wrath to target the main leader when in Relentless Assault/Cerberus during Consummate Light, only very rarely did it ever target the leader, which made me almost want to say it has further priority measures than what I put up below. Even in Opposite Extremes it rarely targeted the party leader, and besides that the frequency it even used the move was shockingly low. I felt like I had to sit and wait for 5 minutes at a time before the last phase would use Wrath again. In total, for several hours of testing, I felt like my party leader was targeted + died to Wrath a total of 3 times when not covered by the priority targeting. And me sitting in the Orphan fight for over 30 minutes each time (which I presume real playthroughs wouldn't take nearly that long).

Last note is that, from what I generally saw, Orphan seems to die in about 3 full length uses of Poison assuming you avoid hitting him with anything else significantly damaging. It doesn't even take that long (well under the 30 minute time limit) to wait it out, so I guess the super lazy/easy strat really is just stick with a saboteur until it lands poison a couple of times, and have a couple of defensive paradigms ready to heal up and watch it eventually die.

Edit: And if anyone finds anywhere that actually precisely goes into this properly, then lmk since I legit couldn't find anything

Double Edit last note: Actually, in all that testing, I actually died more to Dies Irae which the last phase uses a lot. I honestly wonder if people are dying to that move and thinking it's the instant-kill move, since honestly it's a pretty mean move in general.

I also died more to...Merciless Judgement? Nothing anywhere says that move kills, but I straight up game over'd 3-4 times to that move and I have 0 clue why. At first I thought it was poison, or me just getting hit after the 99% damage hit, but no my party would just get hit and then it'd just game over. I wonder if it's maybe a chance to kill if you are low on health or something, but I didn't observe anything obvious about it.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 28, 2021

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mandoric posted:

Orphan's also vulnerable to Death, as a callback to the first time Square had you killing capital-G God. I kind of think it being something you have to deal with in the fight is an attempt to leave a clue.

That's an interesting thought, yeah, though to make it clear it's Orphan 1 that has the instant death attack, and it's Orphan 2 who's vulnerable to Vanille's Death spell, and both fights are very different. Though a more lame/lore explanation, I'm pretty sure Orphan 1 having an instant death move is just because of the nature of the attacks in the phases themselves. One of Consummate Darkness's gimmicks using Contamination (which, like Progenitorial Wrath, only starts being used at 80% life) to always inflict 4 of any random status effect in the game besides death, as opposed to Consummate Light's gimmick with Wrath which has the random chance to inflict death. The two phases have several opposing differences which makes me think the instant death move is just another way they threw in something for the boss.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Help Im Alive posted:

there's a scene in charlie's angels where two kids are pretending to play FFVIII co-op while drew barrymore is standing at their window naked

I'll never forget the episode of Neighbours in like 2001 where Toadfish picks up a duke controller and says to a friend "I'll verse you in Final Fantasy"

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

For me it was an episode of Clarissa Explains It All where Ferguson comes down from his room all excited because he broke the hi score in Mega Man 2.

Mega Man 2 doesn't have a score counter! :argh:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I just love that for a long time, like into the early 2000s, the common sound effects for "playing a video game" were from the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man. Which I own and actually think is cool and fun, though not as good as the arcade version and understand why people were mad about it.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
There's an episode of Breaking Bad where Jesse plays Rage with a light gun

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Now the universal “this character is playing a video game” sound is just GUNS

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'll never forget the episode of Neighbours in like 2001 where Toadfish picks up a duke controller and says to a friend "I'll verse you in Final Fantasy"

The inspiration for dissidia...

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Levantine posted:

I always liked the energy of this battle theme in FFXV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trEAK2MdfKg

The soundtrack was good but I always listened to the old stuff in the car.

I knew what this was going to be before I clicked. Absolutely top tier FF battle theme imo, just hearing it makes me think about the boys bantering mid battle and high fiving and poo poo

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Violet_Sky posted:

I didn't really doubt they were going to do this anyway, but considering they threw that lovely loving organ into the FF1 battle theme, the first part of Dancing Mad Kefka Tier is 100% going to sound as awful as the Black Mages/NT/14 versions. The limitations of the SNES soundboard somehow turned that sound into something much more palatable and will always be the definitive version imo.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Vanrushal posted:

I didn't really doubt they were going to do this anyway, but considering they threw that lovely loving organ into the FF1 battle theme, the first part of Dancing Mad Kefka Tier is 100% going to sound as awful as the Black Mages/NT/14 versions. The limitations of the SNES soundboard somehow turned that sound into something much more palatable and will always be the definitive version imo.

:chloe:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vanrushal posted:

bro what

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Vanrushal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFRhYuB93qk

Wha....?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I'm usually the first person to defend the snes sound chip but, what

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Vanrushal posted:

to say this about Dancing Mad, of all things...

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the SNES sound chip was great, but talking poo poo about the Black Mages or FF14 version gets you the chloe

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm still a huge fan of Terra's theme from FF6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6t_uyg_pF8

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
The best song in VI for me is the Aria Di Mezzo Caraterre, especially the Distant Worlds version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8D8x3NQySE

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Black Mages version of Dancing Mad fuckin shreds

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like Kefka's theme especially the Grand Finale version which turns into a klezmer song for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brtNRe2WG2E

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wanna hear the remaster version of this, the best town and dungeon theme of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUeunLrGGp4

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Have we heard anything about OST releases for the new arrangements? I can't see SE passing up that sort of opportunity.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

stev posted:

Have we heard anything about OST releases for the new arrangements? I can't see SE passing up that sort of opportunity.

The Steam listings say the remasters come with the OST so if they don't release them separately somebody will upload that poo poo for sure

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I can definitely see Squeenix putting the new OSTs on Spotify, etc. since they've been releasing tons of stuff on there up to and including the FF7R OST.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Steam listings say the remasters come with the OST so if they don't release them separately somebody will upload that poo poo for sure

Those aren't full OSTs sadly, if you check the individual pages they all say "special soundtrack (3 songs)"

But yeah I would assume they're all going to Spotify sooner or later

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Veib posted:

Those aren't full OSTs sadly, if you check the individual pages they all say "special soundtrack (3 songs)"

But yeah I would assume they're all going to Spotify sooner or later

Oh drat it's probably the remixes they teased on twitter. Well regardless there's an in-game music player so somebody will rip them at the very least.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Vizuyos posted:

to say this about Dancing Mad, of all things...

I actually really really like Dancing Mad a lot, the whole thing but especially the final movement. It's one of my absolute favorite FF songs. But this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YNfX1oU2XA&t=428s

I hate. I think it's an organ but honestly I'm not sure; whatever it is sounds horrid and kills the song for me. Going back and listening to the SNES version I'm like "yeah, I guess that's what Uematsu was going for" and it sucks imo that that's how it's "supposed to" sound. I don't have any problems with the rest of the intrumentation and I will give the BM version extra props for the ending, that poo poo owns. In fact, I'll give the NT version a shout out as well for giving the slower tempo section some juice, I just wish it lasted longer.

Basically I wouldn't have anything against any version of Dancing Mad if they didn't use that particular sound (whatever it is), but as it is I think it p much ruins the song when it appears and I fully expect it to be present in the 6 remaster.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
:thunk:

Unless this is just GBA balance without the endgame and no MP on the UI is a weird style or marketing decision, there's some serious changes afoot. Would be interesting if the normal/Dry/Turbo split gave, like, 2/2/2/2/0/0/0/0, 4/4/4/4/4/4/0/0, 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vanrushal posted:

I actually really really like Dancing Mad a lot, the whole thing but especially the final movement. It's one of my absolute favorite FF songs. But this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YNfX1oU2XA&t=428s

I hate. I think it's an organ but honestly I'm not sure; whatever it is sounds horrid and kills the song for me. Going back and listening to the SNES version I'm like "yeah, I guess that's what Uematsu was going for" and it sucks imo that that's how it's "supposed to" sound. I don't have any problems with the rest of the intrumentation and I will give the BM version extra props for the ending, that poo poo owns. In fact, I'll give the NT version a shout out as well for giving the slower tempo section some juice, I just wish it lasted longer.

Basically I wouldn't have anything against any version of Dancing Mad if they didn't use that particular sound (whatever it is), but as it is I think it p much ruins the song when it appears and I fully expect it to be present in the 6 remaster.

It's an organ but they're just using an organ sample in the SNES version and it sounds almost exactly the same, just lower fidelity because of the sample rate :confused:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vanrushal posted:

That's a Hammond organ, which is an electric organ used a lot in prog rock, and yeah, it's likely the sound that Uematsu was going for in the original. (Well it might be a synthesizer pretending to be a Hammond organ, but that's the sound it's supposed to be.) Uematsu also founded the Black Mages so it's likely he arranged that version of Dancing Mad, or was at least one of the arrangers. It's pretty likely any remastered versions of Dancing Mad are going to feature that as well.

Honestly I'm not sure the last movement of Dancing Mad would sound quite as good played on a pipe organ, though I'm sure I could find a video of someone doing just that so maybe I should see.

edit: yeah I found a couple Youtube videos and the last movement just becomes a muddy mess on a pipe organ. You kinda need the cleaner sound of the Hammond organ to work with the more rock-inspired melody and rhythm there.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mandoric posted:

:thunk:

Unless this is just GBA balance without the endgame and no MP on the UI is a weird style or marketing decision, there's some serious changes afoot. Would be interesting if the normal/Dry/Turbo split gave, like, 2/2/2/2/0/0/0/0, 4/4/4/4/4/4/0/0, 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6.

They posted a video on twitter that shows they're using Vancian casting so yeah it looks like they might have added ethers to restore spell charges??? Unless they're doing something super crazy like letting you choose MP or charges...