Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
US Cynthia Rothrock movies-bad
HK Cynthia Rothrock movies-good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Undefeatable has two quite different versions too apparently, I dug out a fan version where someone made a composite edit of both the UK and HK versions of the movie and fleshed it out with everything in both versions. Not one I've seen, so hopefully will find some time for it soon.

code:
Original UK running time: 1:31:00 (PAL)
Original HK running time: 1:27:36 (NTSC)
Edit running time: 2:00:42 (PAL)
So it's definitely not just a few scenes, it's almost two entirely different films.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

brocked posted:

US Cynthia Rothrock movies-bad
HK Cynthia Rothrock movies-good

Speaking of this, I enjoy the second one but I still lol that Tiger Claws 3 is real and is structured the way it is :wtc:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Undefeatable has two quite different versions too apparently, I dug out a fan version where someone made a composite edit of both the UK and HK versions of the movie and fleshed it out with everything in both versions. Not one I've seen, so hopefully will find some time for it soon.

code:
Original UK running time: 1:31:00 (PAL)
Original HK running time: 1:27:36 (NTSC)
Edit running time: 2:00:42 (PAL)
So it's definitely not just a few scenes, it's almost two entirely different films.

Please let us know how this is when you get a chance to see it :O

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Gangs of London is available for purchase on streaming services now and man Gareth Evans shoots some really dynamic and awesome fight scenes. Hoping to get a chance to binge through it over the next few days but the first episode was really good.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

Gangs of London is available for purchase on streaming services now and man Gareth Evans shoots some really dynamic and awesome fight scenes. Hoping to get a chance to binge through it over the next few days but the first episode was really good.

The first season sadly ends on a bit of a whimper and is more a trailer for the second season, but holy poo poo it is an absolute ride to get there. The attack on the traveller safe house (run by the wife from the old show 'Chef') is some of the most visceral action any one has shot in the last decade or so. It's so chaotic and organic but also comprehensible as a series of people making decisions.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
that is honestly one of my least favourite scenes/episodes in the show

a bunch of special forces are just walking into doorways to get shot in the head. Then you find out they had grenades the whole time, obviously just in time for the travellers to steal them to kill more of them

It looks cool but it's just dumb.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

got some chores tonight posted:

that is honestly one of my least favourite scenes/episodes in the show

a bunch of special forces are just walking into doorways to get shot in the head. Then you find out they had grenades the whole time, obviously just in time for the travellers to steal them to kill more of them

It looks cool but it's just dumb.

I am generally fine with looks cool but just dumb, a lot of the gun stuff in some British shows is pretty bad (with the exception of Strike Back where you had kit and tactics change over the course of the show as some real world stuff evolved) but man the fighting in this show makes me wince with how visceral and violent it gets. Which is a good thing because I had been sad that Evans hadn't released any new action movies in a while.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

B-Rock452 posted:

I am generally fine with looks cool but just dumb, a lot of the gun stuff in some British shows is pretty bad (with the exception of Strike Back where you had kit and tactics change over the course of the show as some real world stuff evolved) but man the fighting in this show makes me wince with how visceral and violent it gets. Which is a good thing because I had been sad that Evans hadn't released any new action movies in a while.

Strike Back was shot most in South Africa and Eastern Europe where things are a bit easier to do practically.

Which makes for great action but has some side effects like lots of Czech assault rifles ending up being made fully operational again for sale on the black market after sold as 'inoperable' for use in movies.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Definitely a fan of the practical stuff but (and oh god I know this makes me a giant nerd) but I always appreciate when movies or shows take the time to train their actors with modern (or period appropriate) tactics and gear. In Strike Back, Stonebridge is easily one of the most competent actors I have seen with a handgun and like I said the way they wore their gear during the show evolved as some changes came down due to all the wars going on.

That being said I really don't mind if poo poo is wrong as long as it's enjoyable (I have watched hard boiled like seven times since finally buying the DVD) but I also really like when stuff gets thrown in that maybe an untrained person wouldn't notice. Oddly enough the show Barry was one of the best examples of this specifically when he and the other marine raid the warehouse. Also please don't judge me for nerding on about this.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Nah it's fun to see cool "real" stuff in action movies and if you've got some kind of hype button for a certain tactic/style that's awesome. My own personal version of that is seeing Judo throws and akimbo pistols. One's from my love of John Woo and the other is from my own (amateur) involvement in Judo.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Combat nerd poo poo is high on my list of reasons why I watch action movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's also that taking a bit of consideration and grounding a characters actions tend to straight up make the action scenes better. Wick having to reload a lot helps set the rythmn for the gun fights. It feels more like a person moving through a space and doing things than someone in a blank void where mooks simply pop into existence to be shot.

On that, I really wish Marvel would stop doing the scene where the henchmen, who have guns, just run at the hero to get karated because it's too hard to choreograph a fight where the hero moves from person to person. Black Widow had an especially bad example of this where Natasha is on a catwalk filled with baddies, but all of them are aiming their guns at the helicopter except for the one that's currently charging at her.

It's a shame since the apartment fight is genuinely the first really good action scene the franchise has produced in ages.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah I would say the street fight between Cap and the Winter Soldier was the last legit good action scene the MCU put out.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
If only the MCU fights had as much kinetic energy and fun as this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5biEyfN7IY

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ynohtna posted:

DAYUM!!!!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

Definitely a fan of the practical stuff but (and oh god I know this makes me a giant nerd) but I always appreciate when movies or shows take the time to train their actors with modern (or period appropriate) tactics and gear. In Strike Back, Stonebridge is easily one of the most competent actors I have seen with a handgun and like I said the way they wore their gear during the show evolved as some changes came down due to all the wars going on.

That being said I really don't mind if poo poo is wrong as long as it's enjoyable (I have watched hard boiled like seven times since finally buying the DVD) but I also really like when stuff gets thrown in that maybe an untrained person wouldn't notice. Oddly enough the show Barry was one of the best examples of this specifically when he and the other marine raid the warehouse. Also please don't judge me for nerding on about this.

wanna go more into the Barry example? I dont know much about military tactics.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The home invasion fight in Barry is some of the best action choreography I’ve seen on TV, too

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

It's also that taking a bit of consideration and grounding a characters actions tend to straight up make the action scenes better. Wick having to reload a lot helps set the rythmn for the gun fights. It feels more like a person moving through a space and doing things than someone in a blank void where mooks simply pop into existence to be shot.

On that, I really wish Marvel would stop doing the scene where the henchmen, who have guns, just run at the hero to get karated because it's too hard to choreograph a fight where the hero moves from person to person. Black Widow had an especially bad example of this where Natasha is on a catwalk filled with baddies, but all of them are aiming their guns at the helicopter except for the one that's currently charging at her.

It's a shame since the apartment fight is genuinely the first really good action scene the franchise has produced in ages.

I was literally going to post about the movie here after watching the first Act, the subsequent ones then made me realize its not really an action movie. Shame.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Shageletic posted:

wanna go more into the Barry example? I dont know much about military tactics.

The scene where Barry and the other marine hit the warehouse is fantastic. They move really really well together and you can see how they they are covering differing fields as they move. Their reloads are also really really good, its really easy to miss but Barry does tac reloads from his vest whenever there is a pause in the fighting (I forget if he has an emergency reload mag on his belt but he also does a fantastic emergency reload during the fight that he obviously spent a lot of time practicing for.) The way they clear the rooms is really good as well, each of them sticks to their sectors when they enter a room and in typical marine fashion, when poo poo goes south they get super aggressive (well the one guy does) and it's been a while since I have seen it but I am fairly confident they don't muzzle each other.

Another more recent example of a little thing people might not notice is in Wrath of Man during the big trailer scene, when Statham goes to start throwing the money into the truck, you can see on his belt he undid the snap on one of his mag pouches so he can reload faster.

Tac reload-transitioning to a full magazine during a break in action

Emergency reload- reloading after running out in the middle of engaging a target.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Barry is a very good show and when they want to do action it is really very well done.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

ynohtna posted:

Jeet Kune Dope

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

B-Rock452 posted:

Tac reload-transitioning to a full magazine during a break in action

Emergency reload- reloading after running out in the middle of engaging a target.

Oh you mean

Also bonus

:cool:

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I don't know anything about guns and tactics but the scenes in Zero Zero Zero of the Mexican special forces raiding various locations looked very cool

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Oh you mean

Also bonus

:cool:

I do some part time firearms instruction and at the end of some simunition days we will split into teams and try to do John Woo stuff all through the shoothouse. It has foam furniture/tables and diving into a room with two guns out is incredibly fun. The getting shot 20 times after you land since it's impossible to hit anything is not.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yup gun shooting is only fun in 2 ways, super realistic or completely bonkers. Nothing in between.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U02E2sjwlLM

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I started a rewatch of Barry now thanks to you guys. I had completely forgotten that NoHo Hank is there right from the beginning, somehow I had it in my head that he didn't come in until later in the season.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I really gotta get around to Barry.

In the mean time, what you need is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqvGP47gflY

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
That's a really neat video. I'd watch a series all about action editors talking about their work and techniques and styles.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MysGjRS9jFU

Atomic Huntress, gently caress yeah. And what looks like an action/chase scene during a Band Maid concert, bless the person who came up with that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CeeJee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MysGjRS9jFU

Atomic Huntress, gently caress yeah. And what looks like an action/chase scene during a Band Maid concert, bless the person who came up with that.
Ugh, the dissonance between the decent-looking solid, crunchy fighting ("from a producer of Atomic Blonde", laffo) and the lovely weightless CGI of the car crash. Might still give it a look, though.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Scott Adkins is officially in John Wick 4!

Also if you are a Jean-Claude Van Damme fan, check out The Last Mercenary on Netflix. Really funny and has decent action as well. If you liked Jean-Claude Van Johnson you will like this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just thought of something. Wick is Russian, which means Boyka could be like, his brother or something. Make it happen Stahleski!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Honestly if they put Adkins in the movie as Boyka I might hit the hype train too hard and stroke out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Honestly if they put Adkins in the movie as Boyka I might hit the hype train too hard and stroke out.

Gotta call it John Wick: BOYKA if so.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Brad Allan passed away. RIP, dude. Those fights in Gorgeous were awesome.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/brad-allan-stuntman-jackie-chan-214856988.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6IucizzQD8&t=254s

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
gently caress

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

drat, RIP. He was super talented.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
"No big deal, just treating my centre of mass like a yo-yo."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J8tRFJg3t0

Such an incredible athlete and performer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1424866645592399873 Ah poo poo