Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I have a cousin on my mom's side who says they're related to Louis Riel on her mom's side. Knowing my cousin, I take that with a grain of salt, but I suppose it's possible.

Me, eh, my last name comes down to me from a great great grandmother, because my great grandfather was born out of wedlock and there's no record of who his father was, so he only ever had his mother's name. And, oddly enough, his mother, and his mother's mother, and his mother's mother's mother, all had kids out of wedlock with no record of the father.

We're whores and bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I learned in high school that the most tangible famous relation I have is to Henry Ford, by like, 'cousins of grandparents' relations or something.

I learned that's not really a boast for different reasons.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/franklinleonard/status/1420182412156280834?s=19

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

/\/\/\ I dunno about a black Keanu Reeves, but that is a handsome man right there

RoboRodent posted:

We're whores and bastards.

sounds like yer perfect to join me crew!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

grittyreboot posted:

Since we're talking about pretenders to the throne I wanna dig up an IOSM classic from the protests https://twitter.com/louisducdanjou/status/1266578058452054016?s=19

I am disappointed the Orelanist and Bonapartist pretenders to the French throne haven't gotten in to a dumb twitter fight as far as I can see. Booooo.

In terms of paranormal beliefs and such, my paternal grandma who joined a church founded by a psychic looks down on my mom for believing in aliens and alien encounters. My mom in turn thinks psychics are frauds but 100% thinks that tarot and astrology can be legit in the right circumstances. Its an interesting passive agressive circle of judgement when they get together.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I just want to make sure no one was distracted by the awkward computer analogy and missed the chiropractor spelling it "spinal chord".

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So in this analogy Lowtax's spine is like one of those Apple cords that's frayed at one end?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

A Chiropractor manipulated the spinal chord
that ruptured discs and pleased the Lord

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
He tried cracking my back, but it didn't work, so he reversed his approach. That didn't work, so went back to the original position, and it worked that time for some reason.

Didn't matter though because my brain had frozen up and blue-screened by that point.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Sometimes you just wanna use the spine like a xylophone, no biggie.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

Knormal posted:

I just want to make sure no one was distracted by the awkward computer analogy and missed the chiropractor spelling it "spinal chord".

lol

aaaaAAAAAAA

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

poly and open-minded posted:

First line over by six syllables and completely unscannable. Shameful.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

OwlFancier posted:

https://blogs.chapman.edu/wilkinson/2018/10/16/paranormal-america-2018/

Apparently a quarter of americans believe that telekinesis is real, and more than half of them think that atlantis is real, so I think you might be lowballing it.

Until 2016 I would have seriously doubted that there was so much idiocy in the American populace but in the runup to the election a couple of guys I've known for 30+ years both went completely off the deep end for all the q poo poo and to this day uphold the idea that Trump is coming back any day. I had to stop communicating with them a while back but a mutual friend sends me copies of texts occasionally and they're completely insane, there's nothing in them that make a lick of sense. It's very sad and pretty disturbing.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Local Weather posted:

Until 2016 I would have seriously doubted that there was so much idiocy in the American populace but in the runup to the election a couple of guys I've known for 30+ years both went completely off the deep end for all the q poo poo and to this day uphold the idea that Trump is coming back any day. I had to stop communicating with them a while back but a mutual friend sends me copies of texts occasionally and they're completely insane, there's nothing in them that make a lick of sense. It's very sad and pretty disturbing.
The trick is to remind yourself that many of them are abusing all kinds of hosed up substances, it explains a lot of it for me

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Martman posted:

The trick is to remind yourself that many of them are abusing all kinds of hosed up substances, it explains a lot of it for me

Yeah I wish that was the case but most of the time it's just brain worms. Every day I am thankful that that poo poo never took hold in my family.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Local Weather posted:

If it helps, the data there suggests that since 2016 it has actually gotten dramatically worse!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

OwlFancier posted:

If it helps, the data there suggests that since 2016 it has actually gotten dramatically worse!

Do you have any sources on this because that would be real interesting. Even here in Finland there are weird rear end trump supporters and q-anoners

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If we're still doing famous relatives:

Apparently I am related, (on my maternal grandmother's side), to the ye olde Captain Morgan who puts his name to Captain Morgan's Rum.

Or Morgan is a relatively common name for a Welsh pirate to have had many many years ago.

So I possibly have a distant relative caricatured on the cover of a bottle of lower shelf booze. Beat that!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

organburner posted:

Do you have any sources on this because that would be real interesting. Even here in Finland there are weird rear end trump supporters and q-anoners

Only what I linked which states a jump in all categories of paranormal beliefs between 2016 and 2018 and the university apparently does a whole bunch of investigations on the subject of fear in society:

https://www.chapman.edu/wilkinson/research-centers/babbie-center/survey-american-fears.aspx

And they publish their papers if you can read them which to be honest I struggle with because I failed statistics.

https://www.chapman.edu/wilkinson/research-centers/babbie-center/_files/full-survey-methodology-2019.pdf

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 10:57 on Jul 28, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

BrigadierSensible posted:

If we're still doing famous relatives:

Apparently I am related, (on my maternal grandmother's side), to the ye olde Captain Morgan who puts his name to Captain Morgan's Rum.

Or Morgan is a relatively common name for a Welsh pirate to have had many many years ago.

So I possibly have a distant relative caricatured on the cover of a bottle of lower shelf booze. Beat that!

Morgan is a pretty common surname in Wales and almost every person I've met with that surname claims to be related to the pirate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would have gone with the fairy, personally.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

OwlFancier posted:

I would have gone with the fairy, personally.

Go with both, be a fearsome fairy pirate!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mega Comrade posted:

Morgan is a pretty common surname in Wales and almost every person I've met with that surname claims to be related to the pirate.

That's as well as maybe. But my Granny wouldn't lie to me about perhaps being distantly related to a booze pirate with the same name.

Would she?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I'm pretty closely related to my parents

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Bismuth posted:

I'm pretty closely related to my parents

That's what a lot of people have thought until the family gets everyone a 23 And Me kit for Christmas.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Guy I knew in the army was super proud of being descended from Ragnar Lothbrok. Yeah, they apparently had 'family documents' about it.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

BrigadierSensible posted:

That's as well as maybe. But my Granny wouldn't lie to me about perhaps being distantly related to a booze pirate with the same name.

Would she?

Maybe she was just saying she was half Captain Morgan by volume

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

poly and open-minded posted:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

He tried cracking my back, but it didn't work, so he reversed his approach. That didn't work, so went back to the original position, and it worked that time for some reason.

Didn't matter though because my brain had frozen up and blue-screened by that point.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Sometimes you just wanna use the spine like a xylophone, no biggie.

Y'all are worse than redditors at keeping meter

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

Nuclear War posted:

Guy I knew in the army was super proud of being descended from Ragnar Lothbrok. Yeah, they apparently had 'family documents' about it.

My parents told me the other day that they were going to name me Ragnar if I'd been a boy. Wish I got named Ragnar, that's a cool name.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

goldenninjawarrior posted:

My parents told me the other day that they were going to name me Ragnar if I'd been a boy. Wish I got named Ragnar, that's a cool name.

Not my my Swedish ears, it’s a bit of an old-man name you won’t hear outside of Viking pop-culture stuff.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Ragnar fuuuuucked so I’m sure he has lots and lots of descendants. Also members of his army also tended to call themselves “Ragnarsons” so there are a lot of people who think they have a blood connection but don’t. To boot, half of his actual sons are either legendary or are variations of the names of his known sons.

BigglesSWE posted:

Not my my Swedish ears, it’s a bit of an old-man name you won’t hear outside of Viking pop-culture stuff.

My wife is Czech and when we had kids I wanted to name one Otikar because to my American ears it sound tough and badass but to Czech people it sounds like the name of a foppish noble or fancy boy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Scratch Monkey posted:

My wife is Czech and when we had kids I wanted to name one Otikar because to my American ears it sound tough and badass but to Czech people it sounds like the name of a foppish noble or fancy boy

When my brother and his wife were going to have their son, one of the names that was being proposed was Salvatore - when my brother was seeing what other folk thought if it, one of his co-workers (from Milan) was adamant that he shouldn't go for that name, cause everyone would think he was Sicilian.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like half of Europe is descended from Charlemagne, it ain't that special. If someone was from that long ago and hosed in your vague area of descent there's probably some DNA in there.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nobody in my family ever claimed to have some famous ancestor. We did do the bog standard white person thing of being like "well my grandma is like 6% native American" with absolutely no proof whatsoever.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I looked up mine and it is not necessarily a proud ancestry.

For reference: I am white.

For additional information: I am American.

For the kicker: I am from the south.

:smith:

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I’m related to like four poets who died in insane asylums and well, I’m glad I can barely write

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The shame shall rise again!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Still quite happy to have just emerged from a hole in the ground with no knowledge of anybody in my family ever living or doing anything other than where I already live.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

endocriminologist posted:

I’m related to like four poets who died in insane asylums and well, I’m glad I can barely write

I read this as being related to four posts who died in asylums, and friend, that would have been some bad news for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My dad wanted to name me Sputnik, and when that didn't fly he wanted to name me Gagarin lol