Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Mainwaring posted:

What's the point of ventures? I'm around storm blood and I've never really interacted with my retainers outside of selling some poo poo when my bags are full, are they actually worth doing? Same question with combat chocobo, I don't think I've used it once since unlocking it.

Gathering Ventures can be used to get specific materials that would otherwise have to be harvested or killed for, so that can be handy depending on what you're aiming for. Exploration ventures are worth lots of exp for the retainer and have a variety of things they can bring back from that category. Quick Explortion ventures can come back with a very wide variety of things. Everything from single crystals to random dungeon loot, rare items, valuable items, furniture, minions, dyes, etc. Majority of quick venture loot won't be useful for more than vendoring, but sometimes you get things that can be flipped for a good chunk of change. At least on Balmung, general-purpose jet black dye can sell for 350k gil each. I tend to send out my retainers often, and it's usually worth it because ventures are so easily gotten for company seals.

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Mainwaring posted:

What's the point of ventures? I'm around storm blood and I've never really interacted with my retainers outside of selling some poo poo when my bags are full, are they actually worth doing? Same question with combat chocobo, I don't think I've used it once since unlocking it.

Ventures are a really good source of passive-ish gil, I've earned maybe 20M worth of stuff from my retainers over the last couple of years. They also let you get most common crafting materials without needing to personally travel to the rear end-end of narnia to punch trees. I very much recommend them. One suggestion is to try to make sure you give your retainers jobs you will actually level: the hand jobs are a good idea if you do those at all, since odds are you'll level them every expansion.

Chocobuddy is up to you. It's not relevant for anything MSQ, but it's quite useful for side content that involves murdering things out in the world. A good chocobo contributes about 30% more damage and some free healing, which is not nothing. It's notably good in Eureka, but also doing FATEs for bicolor gemstones and relic weapon stuff later on.

E: Ventures are also a really good source of random glam gear. One of the fine folks in my static was very happy that they had finally farmed up a full Arhat fending set after spending a couple weeks doing I think 30+ runs of one of the relevant dungeons. I took the opportunity to show my Arhat fending glam, obtained passively through quick ventures.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 28, 2021

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Plus it's just fun for some people to have their chocobo friend by their side, doing stuff in the world, even if the benefit isn't huge. They're kind of like partially better Hunter pets from Classic WoW, which some could get pretty attached to. While there's only one type (chocobo), there's way more customization for them, from the cosmetic armor they're wearing, their color and the ability to choose a skill build route for them (it's possible to unlock every skill eventually, but leveling speed slows down quick past level 10).

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Summoner progresses a little weird but basically those two buttons will still be used, but you're soon going to replace the things they summon with stronger versions.

That said you can remove the yellow one because there's really no situation you're gonna need it. Green for AOE and red for single target is about all you need to know.

Yellow is very good for some solo duties, especially in the summoner class quests.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
Hi! Does anyone know what are the best sources of equipment upgrades while levelling? Is it through vendors, looting, crafting or some sort of auction house/market place?

Also, how frequently should I upgrade my gear in order to keep up with the levelling curve? Thank you!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

At level 50, 60 and 70 you can buy formerly endgame armor for common tokens (tomestones of poetics) at the major capitals of those expansions. These tokens are not used at max level and are intended to be used for leveling stuff. Poetics gear is top tier for at least 5-7 levels, and can be stretched until the next expansion cap. Most people just use that and some dungeon drops from the later dungeons.

Beyond poetics stuff, HQ crafted gear is par with dungeon drops and you can either make it or buy it at the auction house. Gear scales very slowly sub-50 so don't worry too much about it, but if you have some slot that's significantly out of date then check the market board for an upgrade, especially if it's a weapon. You can also get non-HQ versions from vendors, but the market board is often cheaper so check there first.

If you like that sort of thing you can level up your crafters by going through the crafting log and making yourself a bunch of HQ gear to be Large And Strong when leveling combat jobs later. That level of effort is not expected, not a fast way to level crafters and not a good use of your time if your goal is just to comfortably level a combat job.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

For levelling your first character, the MSQ will periodically dish out gear as quest rewards

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I tend to solo, are any of the beginning classes particularly applicable for that?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

If I tend to solo, are any of the beginning classes particularly applicable for that?

All of them are decent soloers, even if you roll a healer. Maybe a tank if you want a decent balance between durability and damage dealing so that you don't have to constantly keep an eye on your HP but also don't have to take ages to kill a mob? You also eventually unlock a chocobo buddy who will help you out on the overworld and it can do all 3 roles depending on how you spec it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

All of them are decent soloers, even if you roll a healer. Maybe a tank if you want a decent balance between durability and damage dealing so that you don't have to constantly keep an eye on your HP but also don't have to take ages to kill a mob? You also eventually unlock a chocobo buddy who will help you out on the overworld and it can do all 3 roles depending on how you spec it.

So jump in with a marauder and then switch around to try out different classes as I feel the whim?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

So jump in with a marauder and then switch around to try out different classes as I feel the whim?

Yes! That's how the game is intended to be played, pick a class to start, try out the rest when they unlock and find what you like.

There are no bad classes/jobs, only classes you personally find less fun than others to play.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Just to be clear, the main quest of FF14 includes most of the dungeons in the game as well as several 4 and 8 man bosses. The first required dungeon is at level 15. You can't play the game entirely solo.

You can pretty easily get enough XP to maintain one job for solo stuff and one job for group stuff if you want, and dipping a toe in all the jobs as soon as you unlock the ability to do so at level 10-ish to figure out what you like is a good idea. Your initial choice at character creation is not important.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
All classes/jobs can solo just fine for MSQ questing and the like. Down the road you might want specific jobs for doing more gimmicky/esoteric soloing purposes (ex. doing a solo Palace of the Dead dive, soloing unsynched raids/trials, etc), but for just playing the story through the end, go with whatever you find fun.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I went with tank myself when I started a couple years ago, and got so into the habit of pulling 3+ enemies for FATEs that I still do the same when I first switch to other roles. They... can't survive that, so one or two shame respawns back in town have become routine for me every time I go do something not as a tank.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The only reason I would suggest for not picking a healer (or at least white mage/conjurer) for MSQ is that it is extremely boring as you only ever press 2 (eventually 3) buttons for damage

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

The Lone Badger posted:

Coming from WoW I had intended to play mostly solo but when I got forced into Sastasha at level 15 to progress the main story, I got to find out that dungeons aren't that bad! They only take 15-20 minutes, are mostly linear with a few exceptions, and the other players are willing to help you out if you need guidance.

With all classes being good as mentioned, if you want faster queues for the times you do need to party up for dungeons and boss fights then tanks and healers usually have faster queue times. If you're on a DPS class you will sometimes have to wait 10+ minutes to get into a party, or even higher if you play at weird hours for your region.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

Here are some very good reddit writeups for each of the past expansions's relics that I found very helpful and follow myself:

ARR: https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/b4zoqf/the_way_to_zeta_in_45/
(A couple of other supplementary links that have useful data for ARR relics that aren't mentioned in that guide: https://i.redd.it/4u0zwem2vz451.png, https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/bi81w9/reliczodiac_weapon_books_visual_guide/)

HW: https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/e3exi0/the_way_to_anima_in_51/

SB: https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/hed93l/the_way_to_eureka_in_52/

Thanks!

Sorry if this is the wrong place for it, but as a cutscene skipper in ARR who is now watching everything (finishing up StB post launch stuff right now) i was wondering: is it ever explained in the lore who the other 3/7/23 people with you are when you do instanced story content?

fadam fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 28, 2021

Gurkhali
Apr 25, 2006
Oh Andy Johnson's Magic, he wears a magic hat.....
Having got a character to 60 i thought i would start leveling up a red mage yesterday.

I did my routlettes and then got stuck on what to do next (DPS queues meant i couldn't get as many done as i had hoped). I had read that Palace of the Dead was decent when going from 50-60, is this something to do solo - or using the matched party option?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

in ARR they occasionally had the scions say stuff like "this is a job for the warrior of light and their band of adventurers" before duties yeah. they don't bother for later expansions

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gurkhali posted:

Having got a character to 60 i thought i would start leveling up a red mage yesterday.

I did my routlettes and then got stuck on what to do next (DPS queues meant i couldn't get as many done as i had hoped). I had read that Palace of the Dead was decent when going from 50-60, is this something to do solo - or using the matched party option?

50-60 leveling of PotD is not really that quick but for dps it's likely quicker than any alternatives once you've exhausted your roulettes. What you want to do is queue for floors 51-60 over and over as those floors give the best exp for time invested. And do so with a matched party. Solo would make it take much longer.

Gurkhali
Apr 25, 2006
Oh Andy Johnson's Magic, he wears a magic hat.....
Thanks!
I am glad i asked - as i was about to try and do it solo (and probably hate myself for it).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Usually the explanation for your party will be in the description of the dungeon, but yeah, as the believability stretched, they just accepted it as Game Logic, and with Trusts being added to Shadowbringers, they really no longer needed to justify it in dungeons since the canon is you're going along with the Scions.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Anyone else playing a Bard? I'm having fun with it but would like to get better.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

fadam posted:

Thanks!

Sorry if this is the wrong place for it, but as a cutscene skipper in ARR who is now watching everything (finishing up StB post launch stuff right now) i was wondering: is it ever explained in the lore who the other 3/7/23 people with you are when you do instanced story content?

They occasionally make jokes about it in duty descriptions, but outside of a couple instances it's not really explained, no. They're just fellow adventurers who happened to be nearby and gave you a hand.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

SettingSun posted:

50-60 leveling of PotD is not really that quick but for dps it's likely quicker than any alternatives once you've exhausted your roulettes. What you want to do is queue for floors 51-60 over and over as those floors give the best exp for time invested. And do so with a matched party. Solo would make it take much longer.

If you are just looking to level as a dps, roulettes and dungeons are probably your best bet (roulettes first for the bonus XP and later dungeons if you can queue up with a tank or healer). If you are part of a FC, you might want to ask around if a tank/healer can queue with you. Otherwise the Deep Dungeons (PotD and HoH) are a very good source of XP.

Don't forget about your Challenge Log as well, that can be a steady source of XP.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Usually the explanation for your party will be in the description of the dungeon, but yeah, as the believability stretched, they just accepted it as Game Logic, and with Trusts being added to Shadowbringers, they really no longer needed to justify it in dungeons since the canon is you're going along with the Scions.

I remember the description for the Pool of Tribute has

"How fortunate that you had the wisdom and foresight to invite several of your fellow adventurers on this trip to the Far East, and how kind they were to agree to help you torment the Red Kojin, for no single warrior, no matter how blessed or powerful, could ever hope to slay a primal on his own, despite what some wandering minstrels would have you believe." (stormblood spoilers)

so after a while they just kinda use it as a running joke. I think they'll always mention something like that for raids and trials, since they probably won't do trusts for 8 or 24 man content

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Vermain posted:

With regards to UI customization, another handy tip I learned recently: you can get HUD elements to snap to the grid by holding down Shift, and move them pixel-by-pixel with CTRL + the directional keys.

Good lord that's what I'd been hoping to hear.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Anyone else playing a Bard? I'm having fun with it but would like to get better.

Here's a brief but good guide on Bard. It's a little different before you get Wanderer's - you let Army's Paeon go its full duration instead of cutting it short at 10s, and your burst phase occurs inside of Mage's Ballad instead - but the general priority order they give is good to follow.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Sometimes the other adventurers canonically don't exist for a fight, sometimes they very much canonically do. There are some future story duties that make it clear that WoL could, in terms of narrative, solo most primals.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Found on reddit this infographic on the various XP bonuses

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Are professions a means of making money like in WoW, or something more?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

The man called M posted:

you can definitely make money with the right product and timing (like making crafted gear, potions, and food when a new raid has just come out) but you can also make so much fun stuff like furniture, minions, barding, and glamour items.

you can also repair your gear yourself anywhere, including inside instances (normally you would have to leave to repair) and meld your own materia anywhere

also each crafting profession has its own series of class quests, which are generally pretty fun!

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Vermain posted:

Here's a brief but good guide on Bard. It's a little different before you get Wanderer's - you let Army's Paeon go its full duration instead of cutting it short at 10s, and your burst phase occurs inside of Mage's Ballad instead - but the general priority order they give is good to follow.

Thanks a bunch I bookmarked it for future reference. I'm only level 44 right now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The man called M posted:

It's mostly just a fun (maybe) minigame and sense of accomplishment. Unless you go really ham on them, you'll lose far more money leveling them up than you gain from having them leveled.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

crafting and gathering classes also have their own individual quest lines with story content, as well as facet stories in shadowbringers (and presumably endwalker). aspiring lore masters should apply today!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
FYI since there are a lot of low level players right now there are a lot of crafters looking for supplies so you can make some easy money on gatherings. Alumen, for example is only a level 19 mining drop but is required for 3 different types of leather, so it sells for 300 a piece and takes like 15 minutes to get a 99 stack and 30k goes pretty far at mid to low levels.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Making money crafting is all about exploiting opportunity. The new player influx is a huge opportunity. I see players buying whole sets of leveling crafted gear all the time! Similarly, expansion patches almost always bring new recipes which get bought up voraciously, marking big profits for those crafters equipped to make them ahead of time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Thanks a bunch I bookmarked it for future reference. I'm only level 44 right now.

Bard's pretty simple at that level, thankfully. Keep a song running whenever possible. If you're fighting multiple opponents, spread Windbite to 3-4 targets to get more Repertoire procs from your songs and use Quick Nock. On single targets, keep Windbite and Venomous Bite running, use Barrage and Raging Strikes when they're off cooldown together, watch your Straight Shot Ready procs, and use Bloodletter whenever possible.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just watched someone win the Slice is Right while spending the entire final round disconnected lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Just watched someone win the Slice is Right while spending the entire final round disconnected lol

GS Event effects will only affect you if you enter the event the effects are part of. That means if you get on the main event stage, manage to stay on and don't leave the platform, nothing further will affect you. You also won't win anything for "surviving" these events because you didn't enter them.