Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Eh thats fine if they add ethers in, i can just choose to not buy them if i feel like doing a closer to original run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the Black Mage rearrangements are just that-- rearrangements to make them into prog rock. I don't think those albums are meant to be taken as Uematsu's director's cut or anything. they're made for live performances

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah, it's not necessarily a bad decision at all, just makes me really curious how it's implemented since previous Vancian MP restores have only been full recovery but this is available in time for Lich.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the Black Mage rearrangements are just that-- rearrangements to make them into prog rock. I don't think those albums are meant to be taken as Uematsu's director's cut or anything. they're made for live performances

Yeah, though with Dancing Mad the last movement was pretty prog rock already so it's likely that any remastered version of it will use a Hammond organ sound. But overall they're alternative arrangements and not necessarily definitive ones, yeah. I doubt the pixel remaster version of Dancing Mad is going to have that four-minute guitar solo at the end (as much as I'd like it to...)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vanrushal posted:

I didn't really doubt they were going to do this anyway, but considering they threw that lovely loving organ into the FF1 battle theme, the first part of Dancing Mad Kefka Tier is 100% going to sound as awful as the Black Mages/NT/14 versions. The limitations of the SNES soundboard somehow turned that sound into something much more palatable and will always be the definitive version imo.

:catdrugs:

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
1-3 Remasters out on iOS/Android for those interested!

Few tidbits from reddit -

-no fast forward, only an "autobattle" button
-8 direction movement
-built in CRT filter

e- no controller support either apparently

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 28, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Where is my loving Steam release, I literally just looked.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I was reminded of the 8-directional movement watching a video earlier and I can't help but feel like it's going to drive me insane but I'm meditating ahead of time to bolster my psychic defenses

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I also don't see it on the App Store yet

I wanna play FF1!!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think the Steam release is around noon judging by the store page

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Should be an hour twenty for Steam, the traditional approval time is 10AM Pacific. Play Store is weird and does phased rollouts across Google's CDN, same time as Steam is a fair guess but :iiam:.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mandoric posted:

Should be an hour twenty for Steam, the traditional approval time is 10AM Pacific. Play Store is weird and does phased rollouts across Google's CDN, same time as Steam is a fair guess but :iiam:.

Gotcha, thanks.

I wonder of the individual releases, which will be most purchased?

Easy guess FFVI far and away #1. But what will be second most bought? FF1 or 4 is my guess.

I'm also reasonably certain FF2 and 3 will be racing for the bottom as the least sold. But I got FF3 and I will play and beat it as soon as I am able and report back on my findings.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Definitely some immediately noticeable rebalances here. Magic and equipment cost is much less expensive so you can afford to get everyone loaded up regardless of party comp. Thief comes out of the gate hitting twice with a rapier so he's immediately far more useful than the original version of the game

Attacks also auto-target after a monster dies, which is nice QOL but I was sort of hoping they'd leave that out since it is another part of the strategy of ff1 that the other games don't have

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 28, 2021

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Enemy morale values also seem really low? I don't remember if imps and gr.imps would run from you at level 1 in the original but I bet there's some fun to be had with FEAR this time around

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Also for whoever was asking about red mage balance, either my rdm is rolling really bad on HP gains or they're sticking to the GBA versions approach of balancing them by giving them dogshit hp. Probably going to struggle as a front liner

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gr.imp reaper

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

God drat that font sucks

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

God drat that font sucks

I thought the complaints were slightly overblown but yeah, that is aggressively bad lol.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I know absolutely jack poo poo about modding games but how hard would it be to point the game at a new font and display it instead of that

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

always poo poo post to kefka's theme imo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I know absolutely jack poo poo about modding games but how hard would it be to point the game at a new font and display it instead of that

This is how you get text that wraps off-screen

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Saw this elsewhere -

https://twitter.com/LukarKynsia/status/1420415470595936263

The animations, transitions, music... all fantastic. Font is the only thing bugging me about these, plus (almost certainly?) leaving out the bonus content from each rerelease

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
On Android at least, FFIII is more expensive than the first two ($24.99 cdn vs. $16.99) -- is anyone else seeing that or is it just me? Did the Steam preorders have the same thing?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

taichara posted:

On Android at least, FFIII is more expensive than the first two ($24.99 cdn vs. $16.99) -- is anyone else seeing that or is it just me? Did the Steam preorders have the same thing?

Yeah III is more expensive than the others on Steam too

taichara
May 9, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah III is more expensive than the others on Steam too

Cheers. I'm just gonna chalk it up to it needing to be built from the ground up more or less even more than the others did.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Quick I need the coldest and least inviting font possible for my high fantasy game!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
FFI and II are $11.99 US on Steam, III-VI are $17.99 US. (Discounts for pre-ordering/bundle, but that's their base prices.)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DourCricket posted:

1-3 Remasters out on iOS/Android for those interested!

e- no controller support either apparently

:rip:

I can see some reason to get the FF! pixel remaster but FF2's seems like a straight downgrade from the PSP version that was already available on mobile, both in graphics and content.

pretty soft girl posted:

Also for whoever was asking about red mage balance, either my rdm is rolling really bad on HP gains or they're sticking to the GBA versions approach of balancing them by giving them dogshit hp. Probably going to struggle as a front liner

That is inexcusably bad font and the person who decided to use that instead of the mono-spaced font the JP version uses should have to explain this bad choice publicly. :colbert:

taichara
May 9, 2013

Alas I can't see how bad the font is in the flesh, I can't connect because the Google Play login thing keeps hanging, lol. Maybe it'll be cleared up when I get up this evening (or maybe Squenix broke something again, I don't think it's my phone because it's new this spring).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Downloading on Steam is up.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
theres a scanline filter too, which is seems kinda lol considering the aim of the new sprites but hey at least its there, looks decent too with some slight crt bloom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLciyxtZm-I

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

pretty soft girl posted:

Oof, yeah, that's the worst possible roll for NES balance Though it being that points toward either NESlike or shared.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Some one find out if Black Mages work correctly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wait, there's no controller support on the iOS/Android versions? What the hell?

There goes my whole handheld plan :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also apparently there is already a way to make the font better on PC

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1420430337943822337?s=20

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't know anything about it, but looking through the files it seems like the games are made in Unity and there are discrete little packages for font in each language, so I would think it's pretty easily modifiable to someone who knows how to poke around this kind of thing

e: lol drat, right as I was typing up this post. thank you, Harrow

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
When Dancing Mad comes up I feel obligated to post Dancing Dam, which arranges the song backwards. Siivagunner's best rip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZypvxG0vJiA

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So somebody earlier thought the full OST is not included. For FF3 at least, it comes with a full music player it looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8eGQAcjaY0

Also when did they add the actually great part of the Prelude? FFIV?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

So somebody earlier thought the full OST is not included. For FF3 at least, it comes with a full music player it looks like.

Also when did they add the actually great part of the Prelude? FFIV?

Yes, it was IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

Also apparently there is already a way to make the font better on PC

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1420430337943822337?s=20

I wonder if this won't lead to overflow issues with some text boxes/strings