Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

No one famous in mine, sadly, it’s just Norwegian fish picklers, Calvinist ministers, and Irish drunks all the way down. On my maternal grandfather’s side, the first of our name came to America in 1640 something so that’s a little cool in a WASPy way. Also some slave owners there, which is horrifying :/

E: My mom wanted to name me Georgia Celeste. It came to her in a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

OwlFancier posted:

Still quite happy to have just emerged from a hole in the ground with no knowledge of anybody in my family ever living or doing anything other than where I already live.

Oh, I used to dream about a hole in the ground. I popped into existence, fully formed yet unaware of self, in a puddle in the middle of the road.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m a descendent of William Brewster, the religious leader of the Mayflower pilgrims. This makes me very distantly related to a ton of notable people, like Katherine Hepburn, Zachary Taylor (regarded as one of the worst presidents), and Seth Macfarlane.

His kids were named Johnathan, Patience (who I’m descended from) Fear, Love, and Wrestling, which I mention because they are some primo old timey Puritan names.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Trabant posted:

Oh, I used to dream about a hole in the ground. I popped into existence, fully formed yet unaware of self, in a puddle in the middle of the road.
Your own puddle? Luxury! I spawned four meters above ground level and had to share a puddle with three other surviving homunculi

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

RFC2324 posted:

I read this as being related to four posts who died in asylums, and friend, that would have been some bad news for you

imagine four posters on the edge of sanity

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm 4 posts away from total madness!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dr Christmas posted:

His kids were named Johnathan, Patience, Fear, Love, and Wrestling

Imagine this guy introducing his kids to an acquaintance. The first two names pass without much notice, then he hits you with Fear, and while you're still reeling from that (not even registering the relatively mundane choice of Love), his last kid is named what? :roflolmao:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m a descendent of William Brewster, the religious leader of the Mayflower pilgrims. This makes me very distantly related to a ton of notable people, like Katherine Hepburn, Zachary Taylor (regarded as one of the worst presidents), and Seth Macfarlane.

His kids were named Johnathan, Patience (who I’m descended from) Fear, Love, and Wrestling, which I mention because they are some primo old timey Puritan names.

TIL that Wrestling is a virtue.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

TIL that Wrestling is a virtue.

I'm more partial to Bissonomy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a difference between claiming ancestry from someone who was known to have kids and lived a thousand years ago and claiming to be descended from someone who was notable for not having any children at all.

My wife's family had the "Indian princess" story going around for a while. Just before her grandmother died she found a letter one of her great aunts had sent her in probably the 40s that laid out that the ancestor was real and was native but was a "lady of the night" and not a princess, and their old money New England family had taken the baby in and raised it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The guy who founded free market economic theory (after making his fortune buying up land for pennies from destitute families after the great london fire) was baptised Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barbon

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad shapiro decided to get vaxxed, but referring to his children as small seems kinda redundant.

My ancestors originally came from Ireland on one side and Scotland on the other and it's no wonder I hate myself.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm glad shapiro decided to get vaxxed, but referring to his children as small seems kinda redundant.

My ancestors originally came from Ireland on one side and Scotland on the other and it's no wonder I hate myself.

Gonna be funny as poo poo when his daughter is towering over him and he's trying to threaten her boyfriend

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1420404806057971721?s=21

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Just lol if you dont come from a long line of liars, cheats, and murderers. Can you even call yourself an American?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you stop paying for a WoW account does it delete your characters or can you start up your subscription later and start where you left off?

Because if it's the latter, just play something else for a few months.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m also related to Zachary Taylor (great great whatever grandfather or uncle or something) and also uh.. a bunch of southerners who were really wealthy before the 1860’s for reasons generally left undiscussed (you go to the family graveyard and there’s a bunch of curiously short headstones in the back with the words ‘Slave (surname)’ on them’.)

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just checked and all my ancestors are dead.

E: oh, I forgot, in 1600 an ancestor of mine did nothing then died.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cocaine Bear posted:

Just checked and all my ancestors are dead.

E: oh, I forgot, in 1600 an ancestor of mine did nothing then died.

Your ancestors were very wise

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

endocriminologist posted:

I’m related to like four poets who died in insane asylums and well, I’m glad I can barely write

Ah, a Lovecraft?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Lol continuing to give Blizzard money while still complaining about every loving thing they do. Big "this restaurant messes up my order every time I come here, which is like 5 times a week" energy.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Hihohe posted:

Just lol if you dont come from a long line of liars, cheats, and murderers. Can you even call yourself an American?

I'm related to Ezra Ross, a 16 year old who banged Bathsheba Spooner, got her pregnant, murdered her husband with help from two other dudes, tried, convicted, and executed in 1778 with the whole lot (along with the pregnant Bathsheba).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, in highschool I used to date a girl who claimed to be descended from William of Orange.
It's remotely possible she's descended from his illegitimate kid, but most likely she's blowing smoke.

A nerdy thing that annoys me: How often public figures say "I'm a descendant of X" when they mean "I'm a descendant of X's brother/cousin/great-aunt". Like, as far as we know or can ever know, there are no descendants of Abraham Lincoln, period end.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ZaidJilani/status/1420364981967720452

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I forgot, what part of the government is Simone Biles in charge of?

Also, loving lol, public officials cancel poo poo all the time because they ain't feeling it. Trump skipped visiting a graveyard in France full of WW2 vets on the anniversary of Normandy because he was worried about his hair.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lolling thinking about the chinese delegations being all like 'it was so awkward, he just started crying and left' and then going home and somberly pressing the 'NUKE EVERYTHING' button

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1420422605039935490

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Skwirl posted:

I forgot, what part of the government is Simone Biles in charge of?

Also, loving lol, public officials cancel poo poo all the time because they ain't feeling it. Trump skipped visiting a graveyard in France full of WW2 vets on the anniversary of Normandy because he was worried about his hair.
Trump is apparently an honorary millennial 🥴
https://twitter.com/ZaidJilani/status/1420365900285419520

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/hels/status/1420440158239920129?s=19

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Samovar posted:

When my brother and his wife were going to have their son, one of the names that was being proposed was Salvatore - when my brother was seeing what other folk thought if it, one of his co-workers (from Milan) was adamant that he shouldn't go for that name, cause everyone would think he was Sicilian.

ugh yeah you wouldn't wish that on a child

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Skwirl posted:

If you stop paying for a WoW account does it delete your characters or can you start up your subscription later and start where you left off?

Because if it's the latter, just play something else for a few months.

It's the latter. I stopped playing WoW about 8-9 years ago, and if I started paying again then all my characters would be there exactly as I left them.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Soysaucebeast posted:

It's the latter. I stopped playing WoW about 8-9 years ago, and if I started paying again then all my characters would be there exactly as I left them.

The GMs might've changed your names so someone active can take them.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Post poste posted:

The GMs might've changed your names so someone active can take them.

Oh noooooooooooo! I better re-activate my account to keep XxSephirothxX active, strike be damned!

I get your point but after that long it's a good bet I'm never going back. I'm old now, I ain't got time for that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

Than play a different loving game for however long this takes?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Skwirl posted:

Than play a different loving game for however long this takes?

But I want to play WoW NOW!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Lotta fun thinks getting thought today https://twitter.com/LiadCohen/status/1420070453545259012?s=19

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Splicer posted:

Your own puddle? Luxury! I spawned four meters above ground level and had to share a puddle with three other surviving homunculi

:golfclap:

And you try to tell that to young tadpeople today... And they don't believe you.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
In regards to the famous ancestors, I don't think I have any. My family has kept records of their ancestors and I found out that my family owned slaves. A couple of Irish slaves.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My only famous ancestor is Charles Manson, on both sides of my family (long story)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

OwlFancier posted:

Only what I linked which states a jump in all categories of paranormal beliefs between 2016 and 2018 and the university apparently does a whole bunch of investigations on the subject of fear in society:

https://www.chapman.edu/wilkinson/research-centers/babbie-center/survey-american-fears.aspx

And they publish their papers if you can read them which to be honest I struggle with because I failed statistics.

https://www.chapman.edu/wilkinson/research-centers/babbie-center/_files/full-survey-methodology-2019.pdf

Aye, cheers, gonna try to see if I can understand these.