Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

If I remember correctly, there was a kickstarter about being a cultist that tried to awake Cthulhu, was successful with 4x times the funding and ended up a wet fart, with a shitload of delays, excuses and fake videos showing gameplay (basically a mini Star Citizen). Bobby Two Hands released the first game in the time between updates.

The SA thread was fun. Still have it bookmarked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
He's apparently also just released a demo for the follow-up, Shadows of Forbidden Gods, which puts less focus on the NPC politics and more on your agents (giving them levels, specialties and such).

https://bobbytwohands.itch.io/shadows-of-forbidden-gods-demo

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Intravenous just released, looks like a hotlinemiamilike, but with a bit of Splinter Cell or Deus Ex mixed in. There's more of a focus on stealth and crawling through vents, but you can also go guns blazing and combat seems very lethal.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1486630/Intravenous/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

grate deceiver posted:

Intravenous just released, looks like a hotlinemiamilike, but with a bit of Splinter Cell or Deus Ex mixed in. There's more of a focus on stealth and crawling through vents, but you can also go guns blazing and combat seems very lethal.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1486630/Intravenous/

Oh that looks really cool! I'll probably suck at it, but I gotta pick it up!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
More mostly multiplayer stuff today:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1581420/Pets_No_More/

quote:

Welcome to Pet Island, home of the Zombie Pets Tournament, where the greatest and deadest players are brawling to earn the title of "King of the pets".

Choose your favorite zombie pet and get ready to dash, aim and smash your way to victory!
Armed with your boxing gloves and a super powerful disc, overcome the court obstacles and score spectacular goals to beat any opponent that dares to face you

Play Arcade Mode and face the Air Hockey Undead Masters in different arenas throughout the island.

Challenge your friends in multiplayer matches with up to 4 players in Versus Mode.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1669030/Indigo_7/

quote:

Indigo 7 is a fast-paced multiplayer puzzle game for up to 4 players, with a cool and fun single-player story mode plus more than 6 different play modes. Get the best score, conquer the territory before your opponent and don't run out of moves in this amazing adventure! Easy to learn hard to master!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Did not see this mentioned in the thread, but Gedonia was suggested to me in my discovery queue today and it seems interesting.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1114220/Gedonia/

quote:

Gedonia is an open world roleplaying game, inspired by oldschool classics. Become a simple traveller and adventure seeker, explore huge world of Gedonia, progress your character any way you want, discover hidden treasures and mysteries and fight vast array of enemies.

The vast world of Gedonia is a beautiful place with a lot of unexplored areas, and you are just a simple adventurer, who leaves home village in the search of a better life. But no matter which faction will you join, you are starting to notice strange events happening, that might bring something very bad to this world.

Complete freedom of building a character in any way, you can be a powerful mage, strong warrior, agile assassin, charismatic leader, skillful crafter or anything in between.
Join different factions with their own lore, characters, stories and quests
Explore and conquer scary and mysterious dungeons, find rare loot, defeat powerful bosses
Find and recruit unique allies to your party
Uncover mysteries, solve puzzles and complete platforming challenges in the world.
Multiple ways to complete one quest! Use raw strength, charisma or stealth skills to complete the objectives.
Build and decorate your own house, plant and gather plants, farm animals.

Its still early access and supposedly done by a single dev, but it is giving me real Breath of the Wild vibes to it.

Don't think I am going to buy it just yet, but something I am for sure adding to my wishlist to keep an eye on.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Play posted:

Song of Farca looks kinda cool, and I often like games like this with a simplified way of viewing the game world; in this case, a computer.

I just finished playing this. It was really well written and I absolutely recommend playing it!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

I really like the idea of this one, but I really don't get how to make things happen in it.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Dr_Amazing posted:

I really like the idea of this one, but I really don't get how to make things happen in it.

Are you talking about the political part or the map powers part? Because the political maneuvering basically was the entirety of SBT1 so I can give some advice on the subject.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/821880/Idol_Manager/

quote:

Idol Manager is a business sim about conquering the entertainment industry using any means you deem necessary.

quote:

I have waited for this game for 2 years and now finally, it is here! I love how the game resembles to the 48/46 groups because I'm a massive fan of those idol groups.

For all of you who likes business simulation games and idol groups, this game is perfectly for you!

I cannot wait for more updates! Keep up the amazing works!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/597170/Clone_Drone_in_the_Danger_Zone/

Out of early access

quote:

Clone Drone in the Danger Zone is a robot voxel slice-em-up where any part of your body can be sliced off. With your mind downloaded into a robot gladiator, you must survive the sinister trials of the arena.

quote:

I enjoy this game, its machanics, and its diffrent modes. The game is fun at its best with many challenges to try, and a fun and polished story mode. HOWEVER, this is a game intended to be played by more "tryhard" gamers. It is a difficult and sometimes wildy challenging game. If you enjoy testing your skills agenst the odds, with some old/newschool arena action than this is a good game for you. Otherwise if you get easily irritated by difficult levels and sometimes unfair deaths than i think you should turn elsewhere.

I think this game is worth its price and feels like a fully fledged and polished experiance, unlike other games pretending to be such on steam. Give it a try, but if you hate it there is alwase the refund option.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

lmao!!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158850/The_Great_Ace_Attorney_Chronicles/

This one is getting a release on steam. Apparently it's locked at 30 FPS for some unfortunate reason

quote:

Immerse yourself in a dramatic yet charming and witty world of evidence-gathering, deduction and courtroom battles with this double-pack of the adventures of rookie lawyer Ryunosuke.

Set in late 19th century Japan and England, each title features five murder-mystery episodes filled with all the drama, laughs, twists, and “turnabouts” you’ve come to expect from the legally labyrinthine legacy of Ace Attorney. Join Ryunosuke Naruhodo, ancestor of series mainstay Phoenix Wright, as he attempts to uncover the secrets behind an international criminal conspiracy and solve a hauntingly baffling cold case, while tackling a series of tricky trials along the way. Dozens of hours of attorney action awaits you!

In the course of each case, you’ll speak to witnesses, examine evidence and clues, and attempt to deduce the dastardly intent behind the crime before proceeding to the courtroom. In court, you will hear testimonies, cross-examine witnesses, and present evidence. And of course, it wouldn’t be an Ace Attorney game if you couldn’t shout “OBJECTION!” when you know you’ve got the facts and evidence needed to contradict the prosecution’s claims and prove your client’s innocence.

The game includes a convenient assistance feature in case you hit a dead end in your investigation, so even if this is your first Ace Attorney game, you can get into your amateur sleuthing adventures with ease! Will you be able to crack these clever cases? The game is afoot!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Play posted:

lmao!!

This one is getting a release on steam. Apparently it's locked at 30 FPS for some unfortunate reason

Holy poo poo I didn't realize it released so soon, I had it pre-ordered. Can't wait to boot it up :buddy:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1434950/HighFleet/

From Microprose the publisher

quote:

Battle for survival in the skies of a mysterious future Earth in this unique action-strategy game mixing arcade combat, exploration, management and diplomacy. As giant flying ships wage spectacular aerial warfare, a prophecy tells of one who will save the world – could it be you?

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

The manual is super impressive and worth a read.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SpacePope posted:

I've been waiting on this one, it looks really cool from all the previews. That manual is kind of bewildering, but it seems like the kind of game that'll be easier to pick up how it works through playing it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SpacePope posted:

That is a cool manual. I wish the game supported controller input though, that's kind of a bummer for me.

It's pretty interesting about MicroProse actually, this is more like the undead, re-risen version of the company. It was originally founded in 1982, released some huge hits including Sid Meier stuff, but was defunct by 2003. This new MicroProse is actually the result of a person named David Lagettie, a fan of those games and the publisher, who started purchasing IPs as well as the name and logo of the company and ended up resurrecting it.

It gets even weirder from there as he's also apparently the lead singer of the band Seventh, and in addition to creating games for consumers he and the Spanel brothers created war/combat simulators that are actually used by the US military among others. And the band supplied the theme song for those military simulators.

I'm not sure if MicroProse itself will be making combat simulators for militaries around the world or if that's in the past.

That was a weird google hole

Play fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 27, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Play posted:

lmao!!

In this kind of game, does a 30FPS cap matter?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ymgve posted:

In this kind of game, does a 30FPS cap matter?

Not as much as it normally would but I just dislike how 30 FPS looks, to me it is noticeable even in a game like this. But yeah definitely less of one since it is a visual novel kind of game without direct controls.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
On a similar note, make sure if you have any DPI stuff going on (I use my TV as my monitor) to select "Override high DPI settings" in the Compatibility settings for the game's executable. I had the resolution set to 4k but it looked indistinguishable from 720 or whatever the default setting was until I made that fix.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I played a beta of this for a bit. It had some neat ideas (recruitment is kinda done like a gacha role with rarities) and i liked that your idols can end up being gay and even date each other. But when I played— I don't know if this is the case still— events felt like they barely happened.

I'll probably dip my toe in sometime again and see if this is still the case.

e: note there is some iffy stuff, like that nazi uniform image and you can date your idols (the flirt button is only available for idols who are 18+ but still weird)

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 27, 2021

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Tribes of Midgard - Steam

Tribes of Midgard released today. It’s like a mix of Don’t Starve Together , Valheim, and Hades. Lots of the bullshit from DST is gone and you get level ups that you can use packs to jumpstart your next round. I’ve played a few iterations of the game cycle and it is looking good so far. Just roguelike enough to hook me and it isn’t a tedious system. Beware the pause key. When you go in menus you don’t auto pause.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snooze Cruise posted:

e: note there is some iffy stuff, like that nazi uniform image and you can date your idols (the flirt button is only available for idols who are 18+ but still weird)

I enjoyed the demo a lot too, but yeah both of those things are like..I know WHY they're there, even just from a 'this is what happens in the industry' standpoint but..

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Virigoth posted:

Tribes of Midgard released today. It’s like a mix of Don’t Starve Together , Valheim, and Hades. Lots of the bullshit from DST is gone and you get level ups that you can use packs to jumpstart your next round. I’ve played a few iterations of the game cycle and it is looking good so far. Just roguelike enough to hook me and it isn’t a tedious system. Beware the pause key. When you go in menus you don’t auto pause.

Is this always-online / can it be played single player?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

kirbysuperstar posted:

I enjoyed the demo a lot too, but yeah both of those things are like..I know WHY they're there, even just from a 'this is what happens in the industry' standpoint but..

The beta apparently had some CGs for the romance stuff where you see the idol you are dating in a bra or the shower apparently. Currently not in this version of the game because they are trying to move down their rating but they will probably put out a patch outside of steam because that is typically what people do. From what I read there are no straight up sex scenes, just fades to black.

Honestly what makes the romance stuff the weirdest to me is the idols are randomized. Like they randomly select one of the pictures, add a name, stats and traits, sexuality yadda yadda. There isn't really any character to them. You are just dating an abstracted concept of an idol, which I think makes things feel impersonal and doesn't get across "these are people"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snooze Cruise posted:

The beta apparently had some CGs for the romance stuff where you see the idol you are dating in a bra or the shower apparently. Currently not in this version of the game because they are trying to move down their rating but they will probably put out a patch outside of steam because that is typically what people do. From what I read there are no straight up sex scenes, just fades to black.

Honestly what makes the romance stuff the weirdest to me is the idols are randomized. Like they randomly select one of the pictures, add a name, stats and traits, sexuality yadda yadda. There isn't really any character to them. You are just dating an abstracted concept of an idol, which I think makes things feel impersonal and doesn't get across "these are people"

Oh I thought the rarer ones were set designs. Yeah that is weirder, then.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh I thought the rarer ones were set designs. Yeah that is weirder, then.

I think maybe certain pictures may only show up in higher rarities or something, but yeah.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016800/Chernobylite/

Came out of early access; looks like STALKER

quote:

Chernobylite is a science-fiction survival horror RPG. Set in the hyper-realistic, 3D-scanned wasteland of Chernobyl’s Exclusion Zone, explore a non-linear storyline in your search to uncover the truth of your tortured past.

quote:

It's easy to frighten someone with a jump scare but in Chernobylite I got scared by a statue of Lenin which was just standing still in a dense fog. It says a lot about the spooky atmosphere which can only be achieved with top quality graphics, sounds and music. As a fan of soviet culture, architecture (those mosaics ❤ ) and exploration of creepy, abandoned buildings I was delighted to play Chernobylite. Because of strong immersion I forgot all about "the real world" while playing, which is what I value in video games the most. Not to mention captivating story (how is it going to end?), challenging combat (increase difficulty level if you find it too easy) and dillemas when making decisions (I'm sorry Olga ❤, but I couldn't tell you the truth). What makes this game even more precious is a fact that some of the locations captured in game (3d scanned) were forever lost in wild fires more than a year ago, furthermore Chernobyl exclusion zone is being constantly, slowly destroyed by a passage of time and one day will dissapear completely. It's uplifting to know this unique place will forever stay digitally preserved in a form of an entertaining video game.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Snooze Cruise posted:

It's for the "people who jerk it to anime" market.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Virigoth posted:

I was looking forward to this but it's getting brutal reviews on Steam. Sounds like barely a game and a technical shitshow.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/874260/The_Forgotten_City/

The Forgotten City was originally a mod for Skyrim or some game like that, but then was made into its own full game. Looks like it's been getting mostly positive reviews, although nothing too glowing. The facial animations are.... phew. Not good. Still down to check it out, I'm generally a huge sucker for ancient Greece.

quote:

The Forgotten City is a mystery adventure game of exploration and deduction, and a re-imagining of the critically acclaimed mod that won a national Writers’ Guild award and racked up over 3 million downloads.

Travel 2,000 years into the past and relive the final days of a cursed Roman city, where if one person sins, everyone dies. Combat is an option, but violence will only get you so far. Only by questioning an intertwined community of colourful characters, cleverly exploiting the time loop, and making difficult moral choices can you hope to solve this epic mystery. Here, your decisions matter. The fate of the city is in your hands.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016800/Chernobylite/

Chernobylite is coming out of early access and getting a full release. I've heard it still has some bugs, but I've been a little intrigued by this one. Mostly a shooter but has some crafting/base building stuff, team management with your companions, as well as some minor RPG elements.

quote:

Chernobylite is a Science Fiction Survival Horror RPG from developers Farm 51. Set in the hyper-realistic, 3D scanned wasteland of Chernobyl’s exclusion zone, you’ll take on the role of Igor, a physicist and ex-employee of the Chernobyl Power Plant, returning to Pripyat to investigate the mysterious disappearance of his fiancée, 30 years prior.

Compete with the hostile military presence, other stalkers and supernatural creatures, as well as the harsh and unforgiving environment in your search to uncover the truth. Get ready for a thrilling adventure of survival, conspiracy, horror, love, and obsession.

Can you survive your fears?

Play fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 28, 2021

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Thirsty Dog posted:

I was looking forward to this but it's getting brutal reviews on Steam. Sounds like barely a game and a technical shitshow.

I’ll counter this by saying having played It for a few hours with a group of friends, it was pretty fun. It’s not a super deep gameplay-wise game but the basic loop of venture out get materials and go back to craft better items is perfectly fine.

My only like real complaint so far is that of the like 5 times my group of friends that live in the US did the public matchmaking, we ended up grouped with people in Asia leading to 200ms+ of ping which is real bad. Playing with just my friend group led to normal pings however.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/874260/The_Forgotten_City/

The Forgotten City was originally a mod for Skyrim or some game like that, but then was made into its own full game. Looks like it's been getting mostly positive reviews, although nothing too glowing. The facial animations are.... phew. Not good. Still down to check it out, I'm generally a huge sucker for ancient Greece.

It was a pretty interesting Skyrim mod. I'm not sure how well it'll translate into it's own game, although the description sounds like they expanded it out a bit. But $25 (or $22 on sale) seems a little steep to me for what I expect this to be. If you haven't played the original mod, could be a fun one to get on sale eventually.

I like that it in the trailer it looks like they just made you an archer (meme here about how everyone goes stealth archer in Skyrim). Also, this line from the description doesn't exactly inspire confidence:

quote:

If you don’t go into this expecting a Triple-A action RPG, you’ll have a much better time!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah it's explicitly more about dialogue and investigation than the action, which looks pretty tame and involves being able to kick and shoot a bow and arrow.

Biggest issue I see is a game mostly about dialogue having such horrible facial animations that they can literally make you laugh at them. Still, I like the idea

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Unbound: Worlds Apart

quote:

Summon portals to overcome vicious beasts, devious puzzles and fiendish platforming challenges. Master the unique powers of each portal to stop the collapse of reality, while exploring lush, hand-drawn worlds and unraveling a deep narrative full of mysteries.
I played through the demo of this a while back and thought it was pretty good. I'll probably pick it up at some point when I'm not focused on reducing my backlog.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

I played through the demo of this a while back and thought it was pretty good. I'll probably pick it up at some point when I'm not focused on reducing my backlog.

Yeah I think I will check this one out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1114900/Ayo_the_Clown/

gingerbread man looks like he squeezing out a big 'ol chunky loaf lmao. Ayo the Clown, 3d action adventure platformer.

quote:

In Ayo’s hometown, things are generally peaceful. Accompanied by his talented circus dog, Bo, Ayo juggles in the park, hangs out at the carnival and longs after the Shoemaker’s granddaughter. Until one day, Bo goes missing!

You play as Ayo, your not-so-average clown, in search of his best friend and beloved dog who has mysteriously disappeared. What happened to Bo? Will they ever juggle together at the park again? Or set up that circus act they’ve always planned? You’ll find out along this incredible adventure as you strive to reunite clown and dog. Like all good adventures, you won’t be all on your own. Ayo’s world is full of friendly people and interesting creatures that are willing to lend a helping hand.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Got this and played through the first hour, it's really pretty and the platforming's pretty good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mrmcd posted:

It's for the "people who jerk it to anime" market.

ok...? not really getting my point here are ya but whatever. thanks for the weirdo reply that makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

ok...? not really getting my point here are ya but whatever. thanks for the weirdo reply that makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Some people are absolutely determined to think that anime is bad, and will take it out on strangers, and it makes me sad :(