Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The movie looks fun and a potentially fun thing the mid-30’s generation can gleefully share with their kids. It does look to lack any of the unique comedy the original two movies had but maybe the trailer’s saving all the jokes for the movie. My daughter’s name is Phoebe and even looks like the actress, and I got my kids the old school toilet and purple eyed monster toys I had when I was a kid. I’m excited.

The figures look fine and part of their Plasma line, which is geared toward adults.

e: on a more topical point, Team Avatar is finaaaaaaaally complete, Sokka the best figure in the line Diamond Select has made but none of the figures can stand worth a poo poo, even with the included stands. Maybe McFarlane will make better figures.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Open Marriage Night posted:

So, you didn’t like the new trailer?

God no.

Louisgod posted:

The movie looks fun and a potentially fun thing the mid-30’s generation can gleefully share with their kids. It does look to lack any of the unique comedy the original two movies had but maybe the trailer’s saving all the jokes for the movie. My daughter’s name is Phoebe and even looks like the actress, and I got my kids the old school toilet and purple eyed monster toys I had when I was a kid. I’m excited.

The figures look fine and part of their Plasma line, which is geared toward adults.

If you're going to share the thing why not just watch the original movie with your kids? It looks bad. It looks real bad and I was briefly a defender of the Paul Feig movie (it does not hold up to repeat viewings and even when I first watched it I admitted outright that it was incredibly frontloaded).

A Walmart near me had a huge stack of the original Ghostbusters plasma figures clearanced at 11 bucks each and at the time I was like "I don't need anymore of this poo poo." and I kind of regret it because they're pretty nice figures and the Zuul BAF was cool. I went back later and they'd been cleared the gently caress out. Oh well.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

CPL593H posted:

If you're going to share the thing why not just watch the original movie with your kids? It looks bad. It looks real bad and I was briefly a defender of the Paul Feig movie (it does not hold up to repeat viewings and even when I first watched it I admitted outright that it was incredibly frontloaded).

I have, do you have kids? Hard to explain to somebody who doesn't, there's something neat about showcasing the things you grew up with and seeing them redone/reborn for a newer generation, especially if the newer stuff has kids in it.

e: aha they are part of Hasbro's Plasma series, $25 a piece. Don't care, that Phoebe figure will be mine.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/ghostbusters-afterlife-hasbro-toys-revealed/#5

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 28, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I found Blue Goku or "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Son Goku" according to the box at Target. I like him.

If I have:
Goku
Blue Goku
Super Saiyan Goku (preorder)
Red Goku (preorder)
Silver Goku (pile of loot)

How many more major adult Goku variations are there, ignoring fusions or imposters? I know Kaoiken Goku which I guess I should order because I'm in too deep to stop now.

e:
If possible, I will always pose my Gokus like they are giving me pep talks in believing in myself

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 28, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Louisgod posted:

I have, do you have kids?

lol, I can barely take care of myself. Plus I'm gay.

(Yes I know, being gay doesn't mean you can't ever have kids it's just less common. And I'm not judging people for having kids or anything like that, it's just not a thing I would ever want.)

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 28, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am.

I'm judging any of you who have kids.

Do you have any idea how many more toys you could own without children?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I am.

Yeah I wasn't going to say anything but it seems like having kids means you can't have cool poo poo because kids break everything.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Let kids like new things. I hate this poo poo of getting them to like everything you did. Some people living their lost childhoods through their children.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Let kids like new things. I hate this poo poo of getting them to like everything you did. Some people living their lost childhoods through their children.

That's one of my complaints about the new Ghostbusters movie.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Like a thing

Do not like a thing

The sky is blue

The grass is green

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CPL593H posted:

That's one of my complaints about the new Ghostbusters movie.

You’re being weirdly lovely about someone saying they’re looking forward to sharing [new thing] with their kids just because you’ve arbitrarily decided you hate [new thing] before it’s even been released and therefore people should only enjoy and share [old thing] with their kids.

Ghostbusters gatekeeping is the dumbest loving thing and we’re going on it’s 5th year of existence now.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I just want a reasonably good 1/12 scale Ecto 1, I don't care how.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m excited for new ghostbusters movie. I kinda like the kid GB figures too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You’re being weirdly lovely about someone saying they’re looking forward to sharing [new thing] with their kids just because you’ve arbitrarily decided you hate [new thing] before it’s even been released and therefore people should only enjoy and share [old thing] with their kids.

Ghostbusters gatekeeping is the dumbest loving thing and we’re going on it’s 5th year of existence now.

I'm not gatekeeping anything. If the trailer is any indication the movie is just a soulless cash grab engineered to get those nostalgia bucks. Like whatever the hell you want, I just think the movie looks like poo poo. I didn't tell anyone not to go see it. I just have beep boop computer brain so for a second I was thinking that if you want to introduce your kids to something why not show them whatever the thing is rather than a different thing. Kind of like if I told someone they should watch Rear Window and then I showed them the Christopher Reeve version.

I'm just kind of salty about parents who want their kids to be clones of themselves because of something that happened recently which I don't really think Louisgod is necessarily saying they're doing. I realize that those two things together are kind of contradictory and I'm sorry if I was being a dildo about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This site is worse than Reddit lol

CPL593H posted:

I'm not gatekeeping anything. If the trailer is any indication the movie is just a soulless cash grab engineered to get those nostalgia bucks.

Oh, Ghostbusters 2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Louisgod posted:

I have, do you have kids? Hard to explain to somebody who doesn't, there's something neat about showcasing the things you grew up with and seeing them redone/reborn for a newer generation, especially if the newer stuff has kids in it.

e: aha they are part of Hasbro's Plasma series, $25 a piece. Don't care, that Phoebe figure will be mine.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/ghostbusters-afterlife-hasbro-toys-revealed/#5

oh god that picture of the toys of the old guys actually made me a little sad. They're so old, and Harold Ramis is dead. I've never been reminded of my own mortality by an action figure promotional picture before.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I was doing just fine until daycare! :negative:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Rhyno posted:

I am.

:same:

Vintersorg posted:

:yeah:

Shiroc posted:

I found Blue Goku or "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Son Goku" according to the box at Target. I like him.

If I have:
Goku
Blue Goku
Super Saiyan Goku (preorder)
Red Goku (preorder)
Silver Goku (pile of loot)

How many more major adult Goku variations are there, ignoring fusions or imposters? I know Kaoiken Goku which I guess I should order because I'm in too deep to stop now.

e:
If possible, I will always pose my Gokus like they are giving me pep talks in believing in myself

- There's Super Saiyan 3 (long hair, no eyebrows) and it's getting a re-release soon, but it's been sold out for a while, so it might be hard/pricy to get

- There's Ultra Instinct Omen (the unmastered version of silver hair. His blue undershirt is still in-tact, but he's battle damaged. This was last year's event exclusive, so good luck tracking this one down for less than triple digits). I really wouldn't call this an essential figure anyway, but it does look cool.

- Then there's the kid Gokus (blue and traditional orange). If you want this, I'd say there's a slightly cheaper version of the blue one, but it doesn't come with Goku's cloud which is like half the fun.

-Oh, I forgot that Super Saiyan 4 (ugly pink furry version from GT) coming at the end of the year. Preorders are sold out in most places. (Don't buy this, I'll think you're less cool)

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Can we abandon the CineD discussion and talk about toys?

I picked up my first NECA in a long time today, the Giant Sized cartoon Raphael. This thing is pretty drat amazing. The face swapping gimmick is nice. I am very glad that the next one in the line will be the best turtle, Donatello.

I really wish they hadn't abandoned the 1/4 scale movie TMNT line, I would love Splinter and Casey to go along with the others I have.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

CPL593H posted:

I'm not gatekeeping anything. If the trailer is any indication the movie is just a soulless cash grab engineered to get those nostalgia bucks. Like whatever the hell you want, I just think the movie looks like poo poo. I didn't tell anyone not to go see it. I just have beep boop computer brain so for a second I was thinking that if you want to introduce your kids to something why not show them whatever the thing is rather than a different thing. Kind of like if I told someone they should watch Rear Window and then I showed them the Christopher Reeve version.

I'm just kind of salty about parents who want their kids to be clones of themselves because of something that happened recently which I don't really think Louisgod is necessarily saying they're doing. I realize that those two things together are kind of contradictory and I'm sorry if I was being a dildo about it.

good news, all the dumb plastic toys we buy are effectively soulless cash grabs produced at the expense of our environment, exploited labor and all, with the more egregious examples being the MOTU reboot, the Star Wars Black cantina set, and the vintage Legends line, and so on. We live in the age where toy companies are cashing in on millennials who now have jobs and money. Hell the figure I received in the mail just yesterday is a remake of a Spawn figure that came out when I was 10.

A large part of being a parent is sharing and connecting with your kids through the things you enjoy, whether it be hobbies like sports, old movies now being rebooted for a new generation (Star Wars anybody?), or whatever else you enjoy. I’d implore you to flip your view of parents trying to create clones or whatever to instead seeing them as sharing something that made them happy as a kid so as to connect and strengthen their bond. If you’re salty about a seemingly innocent thing like that and misinterpret as us trying to create a mini-me version of ourselves, I genuinely feel bad for you. We parents are much dumber than that.

I love my big stupid upright glass coffins encasing my ultimately pointless plastic articulated trophies and hope my kids one day find some joy from them. Anyway sorry for the detail, I enjoy discussing things on a discussion board.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Double post as I feel I owe the thread some pics after that word vomit. Picked up these good boys this week and good god do they hit that nostalgia bone hard. They're perfect, War Machine especially. I was never a huge Iron Man fan as a kid but I loved War Machine for whatever reason and both these suits are, to me, their most iconic.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Ugh. I REALLY want that NECA Mondo Gecko (he's my favorite character next to Ray Fillet) and I'd likely not find him locally (my Targets have never got the single packed TMNT figs), but that "limited stock" sale in 30 minutes looks to be a pain.

I just want my tacky 90s skateboarding lizard, dammit.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

If anybody finds/has an extra Walmart exclusive Turbo Man, PM me. There's something very meta about hunting for him in Wally World.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Shiftypenguin posted:

Ugh. I REALLY want that NECA Mondo Gecko (he's my favorite character next to Ray Fillet) and I'd likely not find him locally (my Targets have never got the single packed TMNT figs), but that "limited stock" sale in 30 minutes looks to be a pain.

I just want my tacky 90s skateboarding lizard, dammit.

Have a link to the limited stock sale? Happy to try and get an order in for you and send it your way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does anyone have a recommendation on a small turn table to showcase figures on?

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Louisgod posted:

Have a link to the limited stock sale? Happy to try and get an order in for you and send it your way.

https://thenecastore.com/collections/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles

I believe it'll drop there. I'm gonna try, I guess, but won't get too stressed about it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Shiftypenguin posted:

https://thenecastore.com/collections/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles

I believe it'll drop there. I'm gonna try, I guess, but won't get too stressed about it.

Cool I'll try too and can always cancel if you get it. I've had great luck on NECA's store when they put up things for pre-order.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Louisgod posted:

Cool I'll try too and can always cancel if you get it. I've had great luck on NECA's store when they put up things for pre-order.

Same, and last year the SDCC deal was fruitful. Not sure exactly how much they have on hand to sell.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
The plastic crack gods are smiling on me today and I was able to get one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love this animated aesthetic.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Shiftypenguin posted:

The plastic crack gods are smiling on me today and I was able to get one.

Nice! Saw you post and was about to place an order and am happy it was so painless. NECA's made it much, much easier to order from their store after implementing anti-scalper checks. The TMNT movie figure pre-order scramble a couple years back were a loving nightmare, sold out in a matter of minutes, and constantly timed out.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Louisgod posted:

Nice! Saw you post and was about to place an order and am happy it was so painless. NECA's made it much, much easier to order from their store after implementing anti-scalper checks. The TMNT movie figure pre-order scramble a couple years back were a loving nightmare, sold out in a matter of minutes, and constantly timed out.

Thanks, man. I appreciate your help.

I too remember the movie fig fiasco. I ended up getting mine though Gamestop months later, but trying that day was terrible.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Grabbed a Mondo and Muckman. Looks like they're still even up. So much easier than Target hunting.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I just want a reasonably good 1/12 scale Ecto 1, I don't care how.
Finger on the monkey’s paw curls inward.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I love this animated aesthetic.

This is so cool.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Nanigans posted:

- There's Super Saiyan 3 (long hair, no eyebrows) and it's getting a re-release soon, but it's been sold out for a while, so it might be hard/pricy to get

- There's Ultra Instinct Omen (the unmastered version of silver hair. His blue undershirt is still in-tact, but he's battle damaged. This was last year's event exclusive, so good luck tracking this one down for less than triple digits). I really wouldn't call this an essential figure anyway, but it does look cool.

- Then there's the kid Gokus (blue and traditional orange). If you want this, I'd say there's a slightly cheaper version of the blue one, but it doesn't come with Goku's cloud which is like half the fun.

-Oh, I forgot that Super Saiyan 4 (ugly pink furry version from GT) coming at the end of the year. Preorders are sold out in most places. (Don't buy this, I'll think you're less cool)

Yeah I was going to be like everyone else and disregard that GT exists even if I started watching the show again now that I got all of the toys. I don't really like SS3 so I think I'm fine missing that. Omen would be cool if they ever rereleased it. Thanks for the summary.

Did they ever make one of SS2? I remember within the show the difference between 1 and 2 being kind of non-obvious.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Shiroc posted:

Yeah I was going to be like everyone else and disregard that GT exists even if I started watching the show again now that I got all of the toys. I don't really like SS3 so I think I'm fine missing that. Omen would be cool if they ever rereleased it. Thanks for the summary.

Did they ever make one of SS2? I remember within the show the difference between 1 and 2 being kind of non-obvious.

They showed a prototype of SSJ2 this year, but there's been no official word of it coming out. Literally the only differences you could actually replicate on a figure (can't make electricity crackle around your toys) is that the bangs on the front of Goku's hair lift up more on SSJ2 than on SSJ1. It's really barely noticeable even to the most hardcore of fans.

I'd say with the ones you currently have, you're good. Now get the rest of the cast. :capitalism:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Rhyno posted:

This is so cool.

The whole wave is super cool and a fun idea. It's not really for me but that Peggy Carter figure is stunning and emo Strange looks dope.

https://marvelousnews.com/252-29055

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Amerigoons, I live on the west coast of Canada and would gladly pay someone who could locate a classified series Bludd or Barbecue and ship it to the frigid north. I'm not really holding out hope, but I'd be deeply grateful for the assist.

Louisgod posted:

The whole wave is super cool and a fun idea. It's not really for me but that Peggy Carter figure is stunning and emo Strange looks dope.

https://marvelousnews.com/252-29055

That strange does kick all sorts of rear end, drat.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I'm surprised we didn't get a Howard the Duck figure in that wave since he's in the show and I'm sure would sell.