Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

No, but I've had buffering issues on AirLink where everything freezes for however many seconds, then it fast forwards through everything to catch up again, so it's apparently able to cache a significant number of frames while it's trying to sort itself out. Maybe your issue is related?
Could be! Though when mine buffers, the Q2 itself just drops wifi entirely, like some other people seem to get, if anything the artefacting happens more often in smooth gameplay. I've got an archer c9, which is only ac and not AX, but i've also had probably a month of it not happening when it was new :shrug: Wired doesn't seem to have the problem, but i can see the 'stretching' of the previous frame when i turn quickly there and not on the wireless fireless.

sup new page, go get a free gasket if you aint

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Thanks for this; I only occasionally use Steam VR and I still find the Steam VR interface stuff hella confusing sometimes & frequently can't figure out what is where and how to do what I'm after.

I needed to redefine the room because a lighthouse unit got bumped at some point, and not only was that hard to figure out how to start, but in the HMD you see something to the effect of "OK, standby" and I waited there like a dummy for ages with no idea that the instructions and interface were now on the PC monitor waiting for me :saddowns:

Occasional use only of the Index is a pain. This is compounded by the fact that nothing ever really spells out how you are actually intended to use the index controllers. Like, for the longest time I was resting my thumbs on the touchpads (which is very natural to do) but that fucks up using scrollable menus badly with no idea what you're doing wrong, and so on.

e: Just the other day I fired up a game that was telling me "Press the A button" but there's no virtual controller in-game -- and I'm like, gently caress, you know I can't actually see my hands, right? I don't know which of the four buttons is A, but pushing the wrong one did something and uggghhh

Going into the Steam menu shows you the virtual controllers, doesn't it? I suppose that wouldn't be helpful if you don't know where the menu button is without looking, but it might be helpful to memorize it in that case.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is this the Quest2 halo strap people were digging itt? https://www.amazon.com/iovroigo-Adjustable-Supporting-comfort-Virtual-Accessories-Android/dp/B08LGSFQYR

Buddy of mine just ordered a Q2, and I got to him just in time before he ordered the elite strap to go with it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I grabbed this one based on recommendations itt and it's pretty great.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

The Eyes Have It posted:

Thanks for this; I only occasionally use Steam VR and I still find the Steam VR interface stuff hella confusing sometimes & frequently can't figure out what is where and how to do what I'm after.

I needed to redefine the room because a lighthouse unit got bumped at some point, and not only was that hard to figure out how to start, but in the HMD you see something to the effect of "OK, standby" and I waited there like a dummy for ages with no idea that the instructions and interface were now on the PC monitor waiting for me :saddowns:

Occasional use only of the Index is a pain. This is compounded by the fact that nothing ever really spells out how you are actually intended to use the index controllers. Like, for the longest time I was resting my thumbs on the touchpads (which is very natural to do) but that fucks up using scrollable menus badly with no idea what you're doing wrong, and so on.

e: Just the other day I fired up a game that was telling me "Press the A button" but there's no virtual controller in-game -- and I'm like, gently caress, you know I can't actually see my hands, right? I don't know which of the four buttons is A, but pushing the wrong one did something and uggghhh

These are very valid complaints and I have had similar frustrations myself. The biggest one is not having Index controllers mapped to the in-game display, so I have no loving clue what buttons do what.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Is this the Quest2 halo strap people were digging itt? https://www.amazon.com/iovroigo-Adjustable-Supporting-comfort-Virtual-Accessories-Android/dp/B08LGSFQYR

Buddy of mine just ordered a Q2, and I got to him just in time before he ordered the elite strap to go with it.

https://www.amazon.com/BOBOVR-M2-Replacement-Pressure-Comfortable/dp/B08YR8LFH3
The BoboVR M2 is the best one I've tried.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks all, I'll link him both of those.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I bought this from Aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001619417239.html

I should also note I have a huge melon (hat size US 8 / 64 CM), and it doesn't fit me super well compared to the the Elite strap. Elite strap has broken on me twice, so it's not really impressing me either.
The halo style strap does feel great, but doesn't secure as well to my head. I do have long hair right now, and it feels like it wants to slide off the top. I wouldn't dare play a very physical game with a lot of movement like Pistol Whip or Thrill of the Fight. I do REALLY like the fine-tuning adjustability of positioning the HMD in that strap, as the fixed IPD options leave a bit of room for focus improvement via positioning for most people.

Did ship fast, got it to the US west coast in 12 days which is pretty fast for AliExpress.

I did order these silicone sleeves at the same time for the Q2 controllers and they're really great. Extremely comfortable, great positioning of the knuckle strap, and fast & easy to install/uninstall when switching batteries.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002383757870.html

Glad to be finally getting official silicone face covers. I had been using a third party one since launch, as the covers made for Quest 1 fits the Quest 2 Fit Pack Wide face insert pretty well but not perfectly.

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN

Enos Cabell posted:

I bought this one and it works great, but it's just a touch too small for my massive noggin. So beware if they have a big head.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

JumpyMonky posted:

I bought this one and it works great, but it's just a touch too small for my massive noggin. So beware if they have a big head.

My wife got me that one too and it's also a squeeze on the massive boulder between my shoulders but I still love how well it fits the headset to my face while still allowing me to flip it up with ease.

Does the BoboVR M2 fit grotesquely swollen domes pretty well and does it let you flip up the headset?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

SCheeseman posted:

Facebook are doing a recall.

It's better than catching fire, but I guess all that cost cutting had to backfire somehow. Asbestos Facial Interface! Oh so itchy!

Means you can get a free replacement leather one

Also I have the bobo strap and its great

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I also just bought a gunstock like a massive fuckin' nerd so I'm probably never going to get laid again unless I hide it somewhere.

I got the Kobra - it's apparently almost as high performing as the top tier ones, but is the most immersive (for instance the front handset clips in so you don't have to hold the grip button) and I'm so poo poo that I won't notice the difference. I really wanted a bottom loading one and it's the best one of those I think.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lozareth posted:

My wife got me that one too and it's also a squeeze on the massive boulder between my shoulders but I still love how well it fits the headset to my face while still allowing me to flip it up with ease.

Does the BoboVR M2 fit grotesquely swollen domes pretty well and does it let you flip up the headset?

I have a big fat head and it's far more comfortable than either the PSVR or Lenovo Explorer halo designs I've tried in the past. You can kinda flip it up but only by about 30 degrees or so. Enough to take a sip of something, but still obstructs your view a bit so I use passthrough most of the time.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Alctel posted:

Means you can get a free replacement leather one

They were doing that for a while but now they're just giving a silicone thing that goes over the standard facial interface.

I already got the free pleather vrcover but it was way too thick and really decimated the FOV so I'm happy to be getting the silicone thing.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Wallrod posted:

Is everyone getting absolutely crazy, self-feeding visual artifacts with AirLink on Q2 sometimes? You can clear it by just moving your head 90 degrees quickly, but you can also reproduce it really easily: Look at any somewhat noisy and still image (trees in skyrim for example, or just a 2d picture of real life) and turn your head a few degrees back and forth, the noise turns into black and white lines, which then turn into complete RGB noise. It's like the codec never gets a 'keyframe', it just feeds itself with whatever the last image was and you get those nightmare melting person gifs, but in glorious, different-for-each-eye 3d

This happened to me all the time on v28-29 but I haven’t noticed it recently. I could make it go away for a bit by switching between Fixed and Dynamic Bitrate inside AirLink or restarting the PC. Not sure if it got fixed by an Oculus/Nvidia update but make sure both of those are up to date.

Also I kinda suspect NiceHash could have been my culprit because it happened all the time whenever I didn’t restart the PC after closing out NH. Haven’t bothered at all with buttcoin for a month or two which coincides with my encoder problem disappearing. Obviously if you don’t run NiceHash ignore this last part but it really seemed suspiciously linked to the problem so I thought I’d mention it.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

This is the one I have and I’m really pleased with it. Seems like there are higher quality versions out there but this one was cheap and has held up well so far.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I've tried a bunch of straps for my Quest 2, and the only one that's felt as comfortable as the original Quest strap was the DAS. I was able to pick it up for like $60 off of Amazon, plus $17 for a nice injection-molded FrankenQuest adapter.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Nocheez posted:

These are very valid complaints and I have had similar frustrations myself. The biggest one is not having Index controllers mapped to the in-game display, so I have no loving clue what buttons do what.

Or, sometimes, there is a virtual controller, but it's the Vive wands :confused:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This one looks great, does it folds down a bit flatter? I've already got a case designed for the elite strap, there's a bit of spare space at the top but not loads.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I recently got the BoboVR since I was having trouble with the stock strap and light bleed around my nose. Honestly, the new strap doesn't seem like it's made much of a difference, although there's still more messing around with adjusting it that I could do. I can angle the headset down far enough to eliminate the bleed, but then the image is blurry because my eyes aren't aligned with the lens anymore. When I read about this online it seems... intentional maybe? But I find it highly distracting. I almost want to get an IR illuminator but it would be difficult to get my play area dark during the days anyway. Does anyone have any positive experience with a fix or mod for this?

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does anyone have details on what the “WiFi issues” are with the latest quest 2 firmware? Symptoms, etc?

Because I was playing on virtual desktop last night and it was stuttery as hell and I don’t know whether to start troubleshooting the WiFi access point or wait for a quest firmware update.

my quest 2 has recently been experiencing random disconnections from contractors servers on firmware 30, my buddy using a quest1 on the same server and network was fine. i have never encountered network errors of a random nature such as this with my quest2 before. i can still be connected most of the time but those hiccups make it unusable for online gaming

it disconnected me from the server but when checking the quest2 wifi in its menu i saw i was connected and was able to rejoin the server within a minute or 2, this happened like 2 times p quick. is oculus fixing this?

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 28, 2021

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
I'm on v30 and any time I try to launch AirLink it'll connect for a second and then the headset loses wifi connectivity and AirLink crashes. Once it's back to the main menu it gets the wifi connection back so I'm hoping v31 will fix that! I haven't had the best experience with AirLink yet but I haven't had too much time to play around with it that much either.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

and this poo poo is why i hate devices updating themselves lol

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

infinite99 posted:

I'm on v30 and any time I try to launch AirLink it'll connect for a second and then the headset loses wifi connectivity and AirLink crashes. Once it's back to the main menu it gets the wifi connection back so I'm hoping v31 will fix that! I haven't had the best experience with AirLink yet but I haven't had too much time to play around with it that much either.

This was my exact experience and v31 appears to have stopped it for me, at least for the few times I’ve used Airlink since updating.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

i suppose ill try updating to v31 and see if that helps later

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

infinite99 posted:

I was having this issue only if I tried going to my library via the library icon. If I used airlink as a virtual desktop, and clicked on my games through that, it all worked fine.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

my quest2 is on v30.1, i manually checked for software updates, it said there was nothing. do i just need to leave it on/plugged in?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

sea of losers posted:

my quest2 is on v30.1, i manually checked for software updates, it said there was nothing. do i just need to leave it on/plugged in?

You're better off powering it all the way down, in my experience. It's kind of counter intuitive because you think you'd want to leave it on rest mode all the time so it'll find/download the update, but a lot of times I don't get an update until after a full restart.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

You're better off powering it all the way down, in my experience. It's kind of counter intuitive because you think you'd want to leave it on rest mode all the time so it'll find/download the update, but a lot of times I don't get an update until after a full restart.

i usually leave mine off at like 40-70% because i havent been using it regularly but yeah hopefully the discrepancy just... resolves itself if an update downloads?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I picked up this 8 pack rechargable Li-Ion AA batteries, 1.5v. What's the best practice in terms of how low to run them before swapping in freshly charged batteries?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One of my relatives tried my Rift S and they were thinking about trying the Quest 2. Is it fully wireless, because their current computer probably runs Minecraft and not much else.

Thinking of just hopping on Ebay to find a $175 used unit. That's realistic right?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

FilthyImp posted:

One of my relatives tried my Rift S and they were thinking about trying the Quest 2. Is it fully wireless, because their current computer probably runs Minecraft and not much else.

Thinking of just hopping on Ebay to find a $175 used unit. That's realistic right?

The Quest line is completely self-contained, no computer needed or necessary.

For price I don't know, but I'd just buy a new one for warranty.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

FilthyImp posted:

Yes, it’s a fully contained system like a standalone console. You’re probably not going to find much of a discount for a used one with how much of a hot item it still seems to be, but also bear in mind the base model is meant to go up to 128gb storage pretty soon and there might end up being some clearance deals on the 64gb version.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

VelociBacon posted:

I picked up this 8 pack rechargable Li-Ion AA batteries, 1.5v. What's the best practice in terms of how low to run them before swapping in freshly charged batteries?

I'd say with a 6 deep supply not counting the ones in the controllers, why not pop them out when you get the first notification about batt%

I wouldn't though, with 8 and how little juice the controllers need I would run them dry.

It would be a long time before you noticed any battery degradation swapping that many infrequently

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Fully wireless, and it has its own storefront so you can't accidentally buy a game it can't run from the hardware on the headset itself. It'll still be pricy if they want to eventually play games through a computer either with Link or AirLink, but it's a good entry to VR stuff without dropping a grand or two for an Index and a gaming computer

I spent the first couple months owning it without spending any more money, but I wanted to do even more stuff and, besides the last patch breaking AirLink, it works as well as I would expect any hardwired headset.

Vacation Simulator, Job Simulator, and Beat Saber are all good beginner VR games to play, all from the Quest store

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sweet, thanks for the advice all. Looks like I'll wait a few months and see if the 64s get clearanced as an early Xmas present.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

FilthyImp posted:

Sweet, thanks for the advice all. Looks like I'll wait a few months and see if the 64s get clearanced as an early Xmas present.

I wouldn’t count on clearance for them. The 64Gb’s are pretty much sold out in my area and most online retailers are sold out also. The returbs on Amazon were going for $60 over MSRP two days ago and are sold out now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Heads up; Project Wingman landed on PC Gamepass tonight if you have it and want to try it in VR. It looks like it's possible but I have no idea how to enable it, it kept loading in flatscreen mode but I gave up on it for tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

explosivo posted:

Heads up; Project Wingman landed on PC Gamepass tonight if you have it and want to try it in VR. It looks like it's possible but I have no idea how to enable it, it kept loading in flatscreen mode but I gave up on it for tonight.

I refunded it on Steam because it felt very alpha 0.8 vr enabled, but it might be a great flat game, I'll have to check it out.