Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

my brother got the pfizer vaccine last august when they were doing trials and he just came down with COVID. mild symptoms. two daya before he got sick he visited while i was visiting my mom and dad so now we're all worried my dad will get it and it will still be bad despite him being fully vaccinated because of all his other health issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I worked next to a coworker all day before she tested positive for Covid. We've been good about the distancing and masking so I've tested negative since then despite having lunch near her the day before she quarantined. She just got back today, said it felt unpleasant but mild since she's vaccinated. So far shes the only one it hit, first breakthrough case I've known personally. Makes me glad they caught it and she could rotate out before it really hit her. Two weeks later and so far nobody else has tested positive on our 25 person crew.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Buglord
What do boosters look like at the moment? I got my Moderna rounds done back in April. My family got either that or Pfizer. I know my protection is already good, and theirs are too, but I really hate the idea of me or my family still getting sick because Jethro distrusts the tyrannical reach of the government and coughs near one of us.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

I'll be honest, at this point I'd probably consider trying to bribe someone or whatever to get my kids vaccinated if I had any.
After the obviously fraudulent aducanumab approval their failure to properly accelerate granting full approval for the vaccines in adults and euas for kids is really grating.

The dosing is very different for 5-11s and 6 months to 5 years compared to adults so yeah this is a terrible idea.

Another Bill posted:

I'm really hoping Canada doesn't follow the FDA and approves earlier. We did that in December 2020 iirc, and again in May for the 12-18 year olds.

Ontario has about 1.1 million 6-12 year olds going back to class in 5 weeks and right now the government won't even commit to a mask mandate.

I'm an anxious loving mess.

Canada is in the same boat in that we can't start approving for emergency use until the data is available, which it won't be until Pfizer has a bare minimum of safety data from the trial in September. Even in the best case scenario you might have some under 12s having full protection by end of November at the absolute earliest.

Kids under 12 aren't going to be vaccinated in schools this fall and there's really no way around that. The only option is NPIs.

Like I get it that this may seem slow but it's really not. This is all insanely fast and accelerated this is compared to the normal process. That being said, there still needs to be a bare minimum of safety and efficacy data, especially given these are different doses compared to what's being used now for over 11s.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 28, 2021

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I think what vindicates many people's choice to continue not to get vaccinated is the cacophony of "WELL DIE THEN HAHA ENJOY DYING" from people who are virtue signaling hard with their vaccinated status. It's almost like people really believe there is a dichotomy of vaccine or death.

And now we are seeing goal posts moving from "nobody vaccinated will get sick" to "you might get covid but you won't get symptoms" to "you won't be hospitalized" to "you won't die" and now to "you have less of a chance of dying". The delta variant is not really even part of the equation.

Now people are blaming those vaccinated for the delta variant. So I guess people who don't get the flu shot are to blame for yearly versions of the flu? If the vaccine doesn't prevent people from getting or spreading it, how does it prevent mutation? Wouldn't a virus have to be hardier to actually "break through" a vaccinated person's immune system? And isn't this virus more likely to travel, as a person is less likely to die or be incapacitated or wear a mask?

People who question the beloved science, the settled facts, get ostracized. Even vaccinated and pro vaccine people are labeled as terrible things for merely seeking help for their side effects from covid vaccines. It is all quite delicious.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If there is a sign somewhere that says “children are not just tiny adults” then picture me tapping it. Seriously though they need to develop special vaccines for kiddies, it’s just more normal these days that adults get the vaccines designed for children and then adjusted, this time round it’s inverted because they had to rush through a vaccine to “save the grandmas!” as my son has said all pandemic.

I love him for that, he’s got a severe learning disability and autism and normally won’t let anything go near his face, but when we explained that we had to save the grandmas he refused the special hat with the visor on it and grabbed a mask instead. He also yelled (no volume control) SAVE THE GRANDMAS before he got jabbed both times as well lol.

Which makes him a million times braver and more intelligent than any sad old dickheads refusing to get jabbed or wear masks because they might be mildly inconvenienced.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Scam Likely posted:

If anyone wants a window into the mind of a "stick it to the man, dont trust big gov, be a punk rocker" anti-vaxxer, here ya go.
Stockholm Syndrome is made up.

https://twitter.com/sezmohammed/status/1252500993972948992

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

vandalism posted:

I think what vindicates many people's choice to continue not to get vaccinated is the cacophony of "WELL DIE THEN HAHA ENJOY DYING" from people who are virtue signaling hard with their vaccinated status. It's almost like people really believe there is a dichotomy of vaccine or death.

And now we are seeing goal posts moving from "nobody vaccinated will get sick" to "you might get covid but you won't get symptoms" to "you won't be hospitalized" to "you won't die" and now to "you have less of a chance of dying". The delta variant is not really even part of the equation.

Now people are blaming those vaccinated for the delta variant. So I guess people who don't get the flu shot are to blame for yearly versions of the flu? If the vaccine doesn't prevent people from getting or spreading it, how does it prevent mutation? Wouldn't a virus have to be hardier to actually "break through" a vaccinated person's immune system? And isn't this virus more likely to travel, as a person is less likely to die or be incapacitated or wear a mask?

People who question the beloved science, the settled facts, get ostracized. Even vaccinated and pro vaccine people are labeled as terrible things for merely seeking help for their side effects from covid vaccines. It is all quite delicious.

Dude, it’s really simple. We have to save the grandmas.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

7of7 posted:

Something about this way of demonstrating vaccine effectiveness just rubs me the wrong way. It doesn't seem to disentangle the effectiveness of vaccines from the baseline chance of getting symptomatic COVID for a given person.

To be more accurate it seems like it would have to compare .098% to the percentage of non-vaccinated people who got symptomatic COVID somehow controlling for the significant regional differences in COVID prevalence and vaccine uptake.

It's the exact same statistical sleight-of-hand that the anti-vaxxers pulled when they were yelling about the virus having a 99.98% survival rate:
340 million US people survived the pandemic!!!! Amazing!!

The CDC actually updates the total number of breakthrough hospitalizations and deaths fairly regularly on this page but they don't give week-by-week numbers so you'd need to crawl through old snapshots on the internet wayback machine to find the previous reports, laboriously make note of them and subtract the numbers each time, adjust for the non-covid/asymptomatic deaths .....

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

learnincurve posted:

If there is a sign somewhere that says “children are not just tiny adults” then picture me tapping it.

For reference an adult dose is 30mg, while Pfizer is testing 10mg in 5-11s and 3mg in under 5s. It's a pretty significant change that absolutely needs to be tested.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

7of7 posted:

Something about this way of demonstrating vaccine effectiveness just rubs me the wrong way. It doesn't seem to disentangle the effectiveness of vaccines from the baseline chance of getting symptomatic COVID for a given person.

To be more accurate it seems like it would have to compare .098% to the percentage of non-vaccinated people who got symptomatic COVID somehow controlling for the significant regional differences in COVID prevalence and vaccine uptake.

it's bad. the last sentence is a meaningless statistic and makes me wonder. about the rest of it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Imagine being such a thin skinned bitch that you refuse to wear an uncomfortable piece of fabric on your face for the good of your country because someone you were told to hate said you should

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 28, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

vandalism posted:

I don't think some people being annoying and saying haha well die vindicates anything. That's just idiotic point scoring on something that is a lot more important than who is getting owned, but you seem to be preoccupied with that going by the rest of your post, and maybe a bit anti-vax in general. Do you think the vaccines are helping or not? That's all that matters. It seems irrefutable that they are, to me.

This is a worldwide thing that everyone is aware of and has an opinion about, so obviously next to none of them are worth listening to and you waste your time by trudging around in it.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Scam Likely posted:

I worked next to a coworker all day before she tested positive for Covid. We've been good about the distancing and masking so I've tested negative since then despite having lunch near her the day before she quarantined. She just got back today, said it felt unpleasant but mild since she's vaccinated. So far shes the only one it hit, first breakthrough case I've known personally. Makes me glad they caught it and she could rotate out before it really hit her. Two weeks later and so far nobody else has tested positive on our 25 person crew.

I spent a few hours last week, indoors in close proximity, with someone who just tested positive for COVID. They started having mild symptoms a few days after the event even though they're vaccinated so I think technically it's a "breakthrough" case. They've been posting updates saying that so far it's been mild and Nyquil has been doing the trick. It makes me wonder how easily the virus is spreading asymptomatically through the vaccinated population and no one is the wiser for it. Kind of skews all the data in my opinion because we'll never actually know how many vaccinated people were carriers and never got tested vs non-vaccinated people who end up in the hospital.

Anyway, I got tested today just in case and I'm low key freaking out about it.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

roomtone posted:

I don't think some people being annoying and saying haha well die vindicates anything. That's just idiotic point scoring on something that is a lot more important than who is getting owned, but you seem to be preoccupied with that going by the rest of your post, and maybe a bit anti-vax in general. Do you think the vaccines are helping or not? That's all that matters. It seems irrefutable that they are, to me.

This is a worldwide thing that everyone is aware of and has an opinion about, so obviously next to none of them are worth listening to and you waste your time by trudging around in it.

I am not anti vaccine. I am vaccinated from birth. If I had kids, they would have been as well. I am not even anti covid vaccine, assuming a person falls under the correct parameters to receive an emergency vaccine with no long-term testing.

People who have underlying conditions should definitely have the option to get the covid vaccine. There should definitely be an option for everyone to have it.

I am grossly concerned with the entire population being pressured into taking an emergency vaccine that they may or may not really need or benefit from. People who have already had covid might not need it. Some vaccinated people have side effects from the vaccine that haven't gone away.

Sure, they may have gotten some lasting side effects from covid... but then again they may not have. They may not have even gotten covid.

The point that I am making is that the vaccine is not a one-size fits all solution. Other possibly helpful solutions such as ivermectin are being buried because it is cheap, generic, and can't make the big pharma companies a shitload of money.

Next time you think pharmaceutical companies have your best interest in mind, remember that bayer sold hiv infected medication to third world countries because they knew that they could get away with it.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

vandalism posted:

I am not anti vaccine. I am vaccinated from birth. If I had kids, they would have been as well. I am not even anti covid vaccine, assuming a person falls under the correct parameters to receive an emergency vaccine with no long-term testing.

People who have underlying conditions should definitely have the option to get the covid vaccine. There should definitely be an option for everyone to have it.

I am grossly concerned with the entire population being pressured into taking an emergency vaccine that they may or may not really need or benefit from. People who have already had it probably don't need it, and in fact my buddy had it and was told by his doctor to not get the vaccine. One guy I know got covid and then got vaccinated and had terrible side effects. Some people have side effects that haven't gone away.

Sure, they may have gotten some lasting side effects from covid... but then again they may not have. They may not have even gotten covid.

The point that I am making is that the vaccine is not a one-size fits all solution. Other possibly helpful solutions such as ivermectin are being buried because it is cheap, generic, and can't make the big pharma companies a shitload of money.

Next time you think pharmaceutical companies have your best interest in mind, remember that bayer sold hiv infected medication to third world countries because they knew that they could get away with it.

Oh boy we have a live one.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

vandalism posted:

no, gently caress you. get the loving vaccine you utter moron, and stop taking horse wormer pills

you know what else kills covid? bleach. sulfuric acid. dynamite. sunlight. the list goes on and on. but obviously those don't make BIG PHARMA the $$$ so instead of taking a vaccine that's been widely tested on millions of people and proven safe and effective (and loving free to you) might as well shoot up fish antibiotics and pipe UV light up your nose

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 28, 2021

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Mozi posted:

no, gently caress you. get the loving vaccine you utter moron, and stop taking horse wormer pills

The science is settled, though.

https://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-doctor-touts-use-of-ivermectin-for-covid-19-treatment/37148651

Edit: lol oh dang he mad. Only one here making those kind of inane suggestions is you. Looks like I struck a nerve. :)

vandalism fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 28, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you were really big on the hydroxychloroquine, weren't you?

and yes, the science IS settled. the vaccines are safe and effective so get over your utter stupidity and protect others even if you don't care about protecting yourself

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

vandalism posted:

I am grossly concerned with the entire population being pressured into taking an emergency vaccine that they may or may not really need or benefit from. People who have already had covid might not need it. Some vaccinated people have side effects from the vaccine that haven't gone away.

Pretty good username/post combo here

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Guys here me out. The vaccine will most assuredly keep you from dying but is it really worth it because my uncle who works at Nintendo said the hole thing is a hoax.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 28, 2021

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Shouldn't feed the troll, but the title of the article you linked:

Omaha doctor touts use of Ivermectin for COVID-19 treatment
Others medical experts says drug is unproven

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

explosivo posted:

Imagine being such a thin skinned bitch that you refuse to wear an uncomfortable piece of fabric on your face for the good of your country because someone you were told to hate said you should

Trump allegedly posted a statement against the new CDC guidelines which got reposted by a bunch of blue check Twitters and reported on a bunch of actual news sites:

.... but when I went to his website to double check I couldn't find it there so I'm not sure what's up there. :shrug:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

vandalism posted:

The science is settled, though.
https://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-doctor-touts-use-of-ivermectin-for-covid-19-treatment/37148651

quote:

He says he's treated nearly 200 patients at home and in hospitals using Ivermectin and a number of other treatments.

Haha

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Vandalism has some great ideas about covid treatments and I endorse all their posts in this thread

vandalism posted:

I really want a covid vaccine cock ring. Not vaccinated by the way.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Wait, according to drugbank Ivermectin is used to treat worms...Maybe this guy is on to something. If we can get all the CHUDs to take ivermectin then their brainworms will die and they will realize they're loving morons and go get the actual vaccine.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Love recommending people take a medication that in-vitro studies showed had an antiviral effect only at levels that have a very good chance of causing extreme neurotoxicity in humans and comas/death.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
"Vaccine development is a long, complex process, often lasting 10-15 years and involving a combination of public and private involvement."
https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/vaccine-development-testing-and-regulation

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/11/clinical-trial-success-rates-phase-and-therapeutic-area-14845

There is a 66% chance that the covid vaccine would not pass all regulatory provisions according the previous clinical data.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Facebook is leaking

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

vandalism posted:

Your helpful solution is a loving dewormer medication

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vandalism posted:

you're absolutely anti-vaxx, you're just seeking where exactly 'the line' is where you can encourage people not to get vaccines without getting in trouble for it or admitting that that is what you are doing

everyone should get the vaccine but a vaccine-only strategy is not enough, we need public health interventions, government support of its people via more stimulus or whatever else.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
I'm not anti-vax, one of my best friends is a vaccine!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
How the gently caress have you people been members of this site for between 10 to 18 years and you're still getting triggered by a driveby shitposter

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

vandalism posted:

Was waiting till the bottom to see if this is a quite from December or something.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

quote:

Ivermectin, sold under the brand name Stromectol among others, is a medication that is used to treat parasite infestations. In humans, this includes head lice, scabies, river blindness, strongyloidiasis, trichuriasis, ascariasis, and lymphatic filariasis.

Yeah these things are just like COVID right? lol

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Yeah these things are just like COVID right? lol

There was some sorta maybe evidence it had an inhibiting effect in-vitro but the doses that would be required to maybe have that effect in people were hilariously toxic and no sane clinical reason could be found to try it.

quote:

In vitro, ivermectin has antiviral effects against several distinct positive-sense single-strand RNA viruses, including SARS-CoV-2.[111] Subsequent studies found that ivermectin could inhibit replication of SARS-CoV-2 in monkey kidney cell culture with an IC50 of 2.2–2.8 μM.[91][112] Based on this information, however, doses much higher than the maximum approved or safely achievable for use in humans would be required for an antiviral effect.[113][114] Aside from practical difficulties, such high doses are not covered by current human-use approvals of the drug and would be toxic, as the antiviral mechanism of action is considered to operate by the suppression of a host cellular process,[113] specifically the inhibition of nuclear transport by importin α/β1.[115] Therefore, the rationale for the clinical evaluation of ivermectin in COVID-19 seems insufficient.[116] Self-medication with a highly concentrated formula intended for horses has led to numerous hospitalizations, and overdose can lead to death, possibly due to interaction with other medications.

Giving myself brain damage for no proven effect, that'll show those big pharma jerks!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

How the gently caress have you people been members of this site for between 10 to 18 years and you're still getting triggered by a driveby shitposter

Passes the time.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Schmeichy posted:

Congrats! Unfortunately in my and my family's experience the day after the second shot sucked rear end. I'd call out of work if I was you.

Updated, I whined during a video call and went back to nap on the couch. Very minor levels of muscle pain, but a tiny bit stuffy in the sinus area and a serious amount of fog in the brain. I hope when the new boosters for super COVID come, the vaccine side effects aren't stacking with every jab :)

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/gopleader/status/1420209661735804934

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

vandalism posted:

tell me again how you are not anti vax