Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lowen SoDium posted:

This is the board I have for my home server. But I bought it refurbed for $180 off of eBay. It is a good board, feature wise.

out of curiosity, have you tried using ECC UDIMMs on it, and have you verified that it comes up in linux as reporting ECC support? the predecessor to this board was one that someone here on SA reported that while it was booting with ECC sticks, it wasn't showing as actually having correction capabilities enabled. Obviously maybe they were doing something wrong - it is bizarre that a server-segment board that advertises ECC as a feature, wouldn't actually do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Paul MaudDib posted:

out of curiosity, have you tried using ECC UDIMMs on it, and have you verified that it comes up in linux as reporting ECC support? the predecessor to this board was one that someone here on SA reported that while it was booting with ECC sticks, it wasn't showing as actually having correction capabilities enabled. Obviously maybe they were doing something wrong - it is bizarre that a server-segment board that advertises ECC as a feature, wouldn't actually do it.

Yes, I am using ECC memory on it with a 3950x CPU.

If this is accurate, then ECC is working:

root@Unraid:~# dmidecode -t memory
# dmidecode 3.3
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.3.0 present.

Handle 0x000D, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
Use: System Memory
Error Correction Type: Multi-bit ECC
Maximum Capacity: 128 GB
Error Information Handle: 0x000C
Number Of Devices: 4

If there is some other way of verifying that it is really ECC, let me know and I can try it.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Paul MaudDib posted:

The x470D4U? I have that one with ECC UDIMMs and multi-bit ECC is enabled.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

In "processor shortages are easing" news, I saw on reddit that Ryzen 5600 prices were normalized on mindfactory.de, so I checked micro center's website. Everything below the 5900 is once again available for web reservations (versus "come to the store and ask for it"), and is once again for sale below MSRP -- including the 3900 at $400, which I still think is a fantastic chip.

I also noticed about a month ago that 3950s were gone from Amazon, Newegg, and Microcenter except for lovely 3rd party scalpers. They're still not back on Microcenter (haven't checked the others), so maybe production of those has actually ended and inventory is all sold through.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, the 5600x and 5800x have been below msrp in america for the last month too. The 5800x has been reduced in price to $400 in many stores which seems like a better price for that chip. It was always weird how the price gap between those two chips was bigger than the price gap between the 5800x and 5900x.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 27, 2021

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I've been eyeing the 5900x for a while now and it's "close enough" near MSRP for me now which is cool. I'm in the same boat as someone earlier that I have a 8700k and don't *need* to upgrade but I've started doing additional work on my PC and that "feels" like additional justification to make the switch. I *should* be able to keep the rest of my machine as is (just need the CPU and mobo) to help reduce the cost.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You probably want faster RAM if you don't already have at least 3200mhz stuff.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Gwaihir posted:

You probably want faster RAM if you don't already have at least 3200mhz stuff.

Already have 4x8gb 3200 Ripjaws so I think I should be okay. I was looking at some 3600 but I figure I could always swap that out at a later date.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you already have 3200mhz I definitely wouldn't care about going higher. You could spend a lot of time tweaking but at the end of the day it probably wouldn't even be a perceptible difference.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gwaihir posted:

If you already have 3200mhz I definitely wouldn't care about going higher. You could spend a lot of time tweaking but at the end of the day it probably wouldn't even be a perceptible difference.

the common advice is "anything at least 3000MHz is fine, 3200 was the sweet spot with the 3000 series but the 5000 series can appreciably justify up until 3600mhz". similarly, the common wisdom is also that the biggest gains are found with custom ram timings using the tool or similar, i've never gotten it to work tho.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Doh004 posted:

Already have 4x8gb 3200 Ripjaws so I think I should be okay. I was looking at some 3600 but I figure I could always swap that out at a later date.

Are those dual ran or single rank?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

SourKraut posted:

i still don't understand this despite watching the LTT video on it. it's a quality separate to the speed, timings and advertised capacity, loving somehow?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

In yesterday's earnings call, Dr. Su said:

quote:

We remain on-track to launch next-generation products in 2022, including our Zen 4 processors built with industry-leading 5nm process technology and our RDNA 3 GPUs.
There is much speculation about whether any of these chips will be using TSMC's stacking or not, and whether there will be a Zen3+ or not, but that quote is the news.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

SourKraut posted:

I have no idea! I first ordered this ram back at the end of 2017/early 2018 so hopefully it's modern enough to be single rank?

*edit* Our boy "Jack Poon" says it's single rank on Amazon so that must be true https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx3PWMFY74QMIWX/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 28, 2021

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

CoolCab posted:

i still don't understand this despite watching the LTT video on it. it's a quality separate to the speed, timings and advertised capacity, loving somehow?

Believe it or not, this reddit post explains it well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/jq5rnw/amd_ryzen_4_vs_2_sticks_of_ram_on_r5_5600x_for_up/gbkx18u/

This single rank vs dual rank discussion came up after the Gamers Nexus video came out showing a 10% performance increase on Zen 3 under certain memory configs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SourKraut posted:

They're single rank. Dual rank 8GB sticks are rare and are never going to be advertised anyway. It's not going to matter to most users.

CoolCab posted:

If you're thinking of the same LTT video I am, then that wasn't even about ranks really, but density or something. Here's a Buildzoid video on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2bFzQTQ9aI

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Doesn't Ryzen take really well to faster ram speeds? When I bought my x470 board, 3600x, and ram back in 2019 I remember being upset learning a month later that 3200mhz ram was not the fastest DDR4 bc I heard that faster ram = more better with Ryzen.

Also, I've heard some murmurings about the next intel platform containing DDR5 as standard but I'm not so sure it will be available that soon (I also know nothing this is just intuition). My suspicion is that Intel's marketing team is really just bringing every tool out of the shed.

Any word on Zen 4 supporting DDR5?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Returns on merely faster ram out of the box become tiny after 3200 or so. If you get in to the weeds on subtimings and whatnot you can get a substantial uptick in performance, though I haven't seen any testing comparing optimized timings at different ram speeds so idk how slower vs faster ram compares if you take the effort.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Returns on merely faster ram out of the box become tiny after 3200 or so. If you get in to the weeds on subtimings and whatnot you can get a substantial uptick in performance, though I haven't seen any testing comparing optimized timings at different ram speeds so idk how slower vs faster ram compares if you take the effort.

that was true up until zen 3 and the 5000 series iirc. it's still kind of marginal, but you'll see probably cost justifiable gains up until 3600 at which point you hit severely diminishing returns (like after 3200 on previous ryzen generations)

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

IME it was very not worth it to go from 3200mHz to 3800mHz when I had a 3700X+X570 set up. I haven't tried it on my 5800X+X570 set up.

I still need to try and tune that 3800mHz kit one day...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1420805768195022850

Looks like a different retention mechanism than Intel, which was expected.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

denereal visease posted:

IME it was very not worth it to go from 3200mHz to 3800mHz when I had a 3700X+X570 set up. I haven't tried it on my 5800X+X570 set up.

I still need to try and tune that 3800mHz kit one day...

Isn't 3800 bad because then you're forcing the CPU's fabric to memory clock to go 2:1 instead of 1:1? If I recall Zen2 will do 1:1 up to 3733 MHz putting 3800 just on the other side of that barrier.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If they don't do a Zen 3+ I'll have to rethink my longer-term plans for this machine.

No complaints with the current 3600X, but I was thinking I'd like to do one CPU upgrade over the course of its lifespan.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Fabulousity posted:

Isn't 3800 bad because then you're forcing the CPU's fabric to memory clock to go 2:1 instead of 1:1? If I recall Zen2 will do 1:1 up to 3733 MHz putting 3800 just on the other side of that barrier.

Zen 3 has an easier time running the IF at 1900MHz or more for some people.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1420805768195022850

Looks like a different retention mechanism than Intel, which was expected.

The first thing that sprang to mind looking at this is trying to clean thermal paste from those notches.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Fabulousity posted:

MaxxBot posted:

Zen 3 has an easier time running the IF at 1900MHz or more for some people.
I had zero issues setting the fabric clock at 1900mHz with either CPU on this board

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

So I'm looking at potentially treating myself to a Zen 3 partial upgrade if I swing a new job.

What motherboard should I be looking at? Onboard wifi/BT would be preferred I know it's overkill, but I want to go either 5900x or 5800x and probably would need some fresh RAM too (thinking 32GB).

Paired with a 1070ti for now, with hopefully a 3080 once availability calms down a bit more.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I know it is a meme but why not wait a little longer for the next cycle which will have ddr5 memory and new cpu slots for ryzen

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If they don't do a Zen 3+ I'll have to rethink my longer-term plans for this machine.

No complaints with the current 3600X, but I was thinking I'd like to do one CPU upgrade over the course of its lifespan.

AMD already confirmed that a Zen 3 refresh was coming this year.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I know it is a meme but why not wait a little longer for the next cycle which will have ddr5 memory and new cpu slots for ryzen

DDR5 is probs gonna be expensive out of the gate, and latency/tuning might be a mess. I think there's a case to be made that you can squeeze out all you can from AM4 / DDR4, and then make the jump to DDR5 something like 12-18 months later.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, I'm allergic to running the first run of a new generation of memory. My main desktop ran DDR1 and while I built machines with DDR2, my next main desktop was DDR3. Then I waited to build my current desktop until DDR4 was well-established.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
typically there's a price/performance sweet spot both in terms of promo and secondhand as everyone upgrades, too

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Usually you wait a year or about a year and a half after launch and the new RAM standard prices being to drop to something more reasonable.

Faster RAM modules usually being to show up too.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
A lot of advice on waiting that long for DDR5 to settle down in price is working under the assumption that the performance gain from moving to a completely new architecture, with finally a clean canvas for datapath design, "isn't going to be worth it in the short-term, anyways". As in, y'all are expecting Golden Cove and/or Zen 4 to not blow Lake Lake and/or Zen3 completely out of the loving water

Then again, I myself am going under the assumption that money isn't real

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean I'm playing 1080p with a 75Hz monitor so I probably don't need that much firepower anyway???

I'm gonna be drooling over the performance figures from the eventual reviews regardless

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Dumb question, but I imagine I should probably to a clean install of Windows when I swap out my mobo + cpu yeah? My 5900x should be coming in this afternoon.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Doh004 posted:

Dumb question, but I imagine I should probably to a clean install of Windows when I swap out my mobo + cpu yeah? My 5900x should be coming in this afternoon.

Not required, never a bad idea.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Nomyth posted:

As in, y'all are expecting Golden Cove and/or Zen 4 to not blow Lake Lake and/or Zen3 completely out of the loving water

There should be at least 1 more major performance boost for AM4 coming so if you've already got a AM4 mobo it'll make a lot of sense to stick around on it for a while.

GC and Zen4 should be real good but paying early adopter DDR5 prices (around 2-3x DDR4) really loving sucks on top of paying early adopter new platform prices.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Doh004 posted:

I didn't bother when I went from a 6700k to 3900x, no issues at all.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Gwaihir posted:

I didn't bother when I went from a 6700k to 3900x, no issues at all.

I went from a 2600k to a 5850k to a 3900x without reinstalling Windows. It's been completely fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boat Stuck posted:

I went from a 2600k to a 5850k to a 3900x without reinstalling Windows. It's been completely fine.

I've gone through something like 5 systems in the last 6 years. All intel until the last 3900x. I always swap the HD or clone into the new system. No windows problems whatsoever.