Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Question about the 351 series. How easy is it to setup cross save and "retro achievement" if I want to play on both the 351 handheld and a nvidia shield box?

Does the 351 has any obvious shortcoming that need to be addressed by the next revision, or is this like the "Gameboy Advanced SP with a new screen" of the 3rd party handheld which is perfect by my definition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Question about the 351 series. How easy is it to setup cross save and "retro achievement" if I want to play on both the 351 handheld and a nvidia shield box?

Does the 351 has any obvious shortcoming that need to be addressed by the next revision, or is this like the "Gameboy Advanced SP with a new screen" of the 3rd party handheld which is perfect by my definition?

Retro Achievements works fine, but only while online. If you play on your 351 while on the go away from wifi, you won't get any achievements while away. That's a limitation of how they work and AFAIK isn't something that can ever be resolved.

Cross saves aren't a thing really, at all. I have a winscp script set up that syncs saves between 351 an a folder on my PC, which I have to manually launch; from there, I have Syncthing sharing that folder out to everything else. 351Elec is working on cloud saves, I believe to gdrive and maybe dropbox, but I haven't messed with it, and I don't know if that'll interact with any other systems automatically without some sort of script.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

zzMisc posted:

Retro Achievements works fine, but only while online. If you play on your 351 while on the go away from wifi, you won't get any achievements while away. That's a limitation of how they work and AFAIK isn't something that can ever be resolved.

Cross saves aren't a thing really, at all. I have a winscp script set up that syncs saves between 351 an a folder on my PC, which I have to manually launch; from there, I have Syncthing sharing that folder out to everything else. 351Elec is working on cloud saves, I believe to gdrive and maybe dropbox, but I haven't messed with it, and I don't know if that'll interact with any other systems automatically without some sort of script.

Bummer about the cross save. I think I am going to wait for next version of 351m which should have better compatibility with PSP.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LODGE NORTH posted:

SO I recently got back into the Ace Attorney games. The first three and last two are available on the Switch, but everything else is stuck on its launch console or mobile.

I was planning on getting some capable Android TV device, then just installing the games, but are there any downsides or possible flaws in doing this? The base requirements are 2GB of RAM, which something like the MiBox S supports, but I'm still looking because I genuinely don't need or want any of the other features. I solely want it to play games that may only be available on mobile, on a monitor or TV.

If you still own a DS or 3DS just buy a DS flash cart

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I like my RG351M but found it pretty uncomfortable to hold when playing Ape Escape, or other PS1 games where I'm tempted to actually use the analog stick and the shoulder buttons at the same time.

So I found this:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4702672

Which basically came from this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0P5ThizVUo&t=600s
(although this was the "M" type, which I guess has slightly different dimensions)

I went to Treatstock.com, which is apparently a place that contracts folks with 3D printers to do commissions. I uploaded the file from the thingiverse link above (an .stl file), and just asked that they reference the thingiverse link for printing info.

It arrived today and I freaking love it.

Sounds great, feels really comfortable all of a sudden.

It will fall right out if you don't put the felt pads in (like described in the thingiverse description), but I had some 5mm furniture pad material and cut it to the correct size and it holds it in perfectly.

So, for less than $20 I got a custom grip for this Chinese retro machine. I'm pretty drat happy with it!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

If you still own a DS or 3DS just buy a DS flash cart

I have like, maybe every DS and 3DS either hacked or paired with a flashcart, ha. I'm just not sure if I'll actually play the games if they're locked to being portable. I did manage to figure it out. Ended up using Walmart's one 4K streaming box thing, it was only $30. Using a virtual mouse app type deal, I can play the games in full. Ordered a small wireless bluetooth joystick thing too, so that should be fun.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

stephenthinkpad posted:

I swear there was some magician in this thread who had saves sycning between things via dropbox, but I can't remember who it was. I'd love to setup something similar between my 351v and my retropi setup, but I feel like it'd be harder than I'm imagining.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltHAQ8gamHk

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just got the Powkiddy A66 (aka Trimui Model S) I ordered from Aliexpress and it’s freaking cool after upgrading the firmware and installing MinUI. I have a 351v as well, but wanted something cheaper and pocketable to take out on the go and this fits the bill.

Highly recommended.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I think I'm gonna return my RG351P. It works great, feels good to hold and does exactly what it's supposed to, but it just murders my eyes; I really underestimated how small the screen is. I've been spoiled by the Switch and huge phones. It doesn't help that most of the stuff I want to play is text-heavy. I may just have to wait for the Steam Deck.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lester Shy posted:

I think I'm gonna return my RG351P. It works great, feels good to hold and does exactly what it's supposed to, but it just murders my eyes; I really underestimated how small the screen is. I've been spoiled by the Switch and huge phones. It doesn't help that most of the stuff I want to play is text-heavy. I may just have to wait for the Steam Deck.

Must be getting old or something

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I’m in the same boat. The screen on my 351v is beautiful and games look great but it’s too small for me. I can deal with it but any game with lots of text is rough. And I wear glasses with an up to date prescription. Even certain games in my switch aren’t great.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Lester Shy posted:

Get a usbc controller for your phone. Or sign up for that Odin Kickstarter

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Lester Shy posted:

There's always the ODroid Go Super if you just want something around the same level with a bigger screen.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Retro Game Corps recently had a video where he recommends the Powkiddy RGB10 Max. I like the look of it, especially the sticks, and it has a moderately larger screen compared to the 351P. I probably would've gotten it if I wasn't explicitly planning on playing mostly GBA games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I feel like the Powkiddy is a good sign of what we might have in a year or so once better chips get put in with the 5in PSP aspect ratio screen. I don’t think it’s quite worth it yet though.

What has got me going right now is the RGC video on the Super Console King. I’m increasingly irritated with the RPi 4’s emulation performance and having that kind of really capable box on the TV is really appealing to me since while the RG351 can play some Dreamcast games I don’t really want to play those on the small screen.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

At that price you're much better off just buying a used laptop or a compact dell or something

edit: Or hell, get an nvidia shield. Plays dreamcast flawlessly, does GameCube at 30fps and there are actual good games with native ports

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 29, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I guess this is the most appropriate thread for Playdate stuff?

I managed to get on the 2021 batch.

It looks like they sold the first 20,000 in about 20 minutes, pretty impressive! Apparently there was an issue with international orders, i've never seen so much whining on Twitter about a toy. I guess Panic were using a Shopify app/plugin for calculating international shipping. Shopify apps don't depend on Shopify's infrastructure, so they're usually hosted on some crappy VPS and fail under any amount of load, which is apparently exactly what happened for most customers outside the US. A bummer for them, but they can still order one right now, it'll just arrive a little later!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 29, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

frogbs posted:

I guess this is the most appropriate thread for Playdate stuff?

I managed to get on the 2021 batch.

It looks like they sold the first 20,000 in about 20 minutes, pretty impressive! Apparently there was an issue with international orders, i've never seen so much whining on Twitter about a toy. I guess Panic were using a Shopify app/plugin for calculating international shipping. Shopify apps don't depend on Shopify's infrastructure, so they're usually hosted on some crappy VPS and fail under any amount of load, which is apparently exactly what happened for most custoemrs outside the US. A bummer for them, but they can still order one right now, it'll just arrive a little later!

Oh dog gone it I missed 2021. I knew I should have set a reminder.

Are these gonna go on regular sale at some point down the line? I hate the idea of pre-purchasing something 6+ months in advance.

Edit: fudge it, threw down a 2022 order. I can always cancel if something changes.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 29, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Rolo posted:

Oh dog gone it I missed 2021. I knew I should have set a reminder.

Are these gonna go on regular sale at some point down the line? I hate the idea of pre-purchasing something 6+ months in advance.

I think their stance is "you'll always be able to order one, it might not ship right away until we catch up with the initial rush". The impression I get is that I don't think these are going to be scarce, long term. They didn't want to artificially cut off orders completely at X number.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just missed out on the ‘21 orders because their processor didn’t think Canada was a valid destination for like twenty minutes :(

I’m in for ‘22 with a ~23000 order number (assuming they’re sequential). I’m sure I would have just spent that $200 on dumb motorcycle gadgets otherwise so probably money well spent.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

njsykora posted:

What has got me going right now is the RGC video on the Super Console King. I’m increasingly irritated with the RPi 4’s emulation performance and having that kind of really capable box on the TV is really appealing to me since while the RG351 can play some Dreamcast games I don’t really want to play those on the small screen.
This one? With the light up skull eyes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzXyLdEP3Ec

Apparently the high end AMLOGIC CPU can actually handle some Saturn games, so that's really impressive.

On the other hand it doesn't have the GPU power and Vulkan support that something like the NVIDIA Shield does, so that means it can't handle Gamecube.

Still, for a tiny Android TV box, not bad.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There is no emulation performance difference between the OG Shield and the new Shield pro, just get an OG Shield for cheap. You can buy the controller and new remote separately if you want, both of them are much better remote than the OG remote.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Is there a way to change retroarch's automatic save state behavior? Near as I can tell it automatically saves on quit, then loads and increments when I load into the same game. But i don't really need to keep every save state for every game i play forever. I know intellectually that it isn't doing any harm, but something about the automation bothers me.

Retroarch is hard

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Boxman posted:

Is there a way to change retroarch's automatic save state behavior? Near as I can tell it automatically saves on quit, then loads and increments when I load into the same game. But i don't really need to keep every save state for every game i play forever. I know intellectually that it isn't doing any harm, but something about the automation bothers me.

Retroarch is hard

Yeah, it's a setting in there somewhere (in Settings / Saving, I think. Might need advanced settings to be enabled: Settings / User interface/ Show advanced settings).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Not good, but tiny and cheap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnKySMQSdYs

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Really feel like I'd rather get a V90. I mean even if you like the GB Micro imitation, it looks like it's going to get scratched to hell.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I could forgive a lot of the problems if it actually looked like a micro instead of a generic retro handheld with a sticker on the front

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I cannot take anything named "Powkiddy" seriously

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Introducing the new “ChildPuncher Retroslap 420”

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thinking about getting one of these, how is the PSX emulation on the 351 series? I've read that it's good, but is it practically perfect or does it have issues with sound and missed frames etc.? Is there a compatibility sheet somewhere? I can live with small issues, but I hate missed frames and lower speeds. I'm eyeing the 351v model, since there really aren't that many psx games that would need that second stick + the 480p screen seems great

I already have a DSI XL and a GBA Micro, so PSX, FinalBurn Alpha, the various source ports and Pico 8 would be the things I'm most interested in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AFAIK it’s perfect and can actually upscale some games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the PS1 now is pretty close to being one of the systems you can expect to work perfectly on pretty much any device.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

RG351V received today! Bought it on AliExpress and didn't upgrade the shipping, received 18 days after purchase. They even threw in a not particularly great but better than nothing carrying case!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

RG351V received today! Bought it on AliExpress and didn't upgrade the shipping, received 18 days after purchase. They even threw in a not particularly great but better than nothing carrying case!

My 351P arrived today as well :cool::hf::cool: though I purchased mine from Anbernic's eBay storefront.

I've already flashed 351ELEC. Just curating my games library atm :haw: I'm impressed with this thing's build quality. Other than some backlight bleed on the screen, everything looks and feels super solid for the ~$117 I paid for it. Mine also came with a carrying case, and also an OTG USB-C adapter and USB WiFi dongle.

[edit] Got everything set up proper and had a chance to play around with some games. Older console stuff works great, but I'm having issues with N64 and Dreamcast gameplay. Notably choppy/stuttering audio. Cursory Google searches show it's a thing that happens, but they haven't really led me to any solutions for a 351P running 351ELEC. Help please!

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 3, 2021

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

teagone posted:

My 351P arrived today as well :cool::hf::cool: though I purchased mine from Anbernic's eBay storefront.

I've already flashed 351ELEC. Just curating my games library atm :haw: I'm impressed with this thing's build quality. Other than some backlight bleed on the screen, everything looks and feels super solid for the ~$117 I paid for it. Mine also came with a carrying case, and also an OTG USB-C adapter and USB WiFi dongle.

[edit] Got everything set up proper and had a chance to play around with some games. Older console stuff works great, but I'm having issues with N64 and Dreamcast gameplay. Notably choppy/stuttering audio. Cursory Google searches show it's a thing that happens, but they haven't really led me to any solutions for a 351P running 351ELEC. Help please!

I'm running ArkOS and I noticed a little bit of audio skipping with Dreamcast games, too. It was apparent when the Offspring and Bad Religion stuttered a bit on Crazy Taxi, lmao. I haven't messed around with bios much so maybe that's the answer. All in all, this was def worth $75.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It naturally doesn't say it anywhere on the GitHub but arkos is discontinued for the 351s now, fyi

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I had no idea the retro game corps dude wrote cookbooks lol.

https://youtu.be/StvlhW8TCEE

Also shocked he still in the navy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Well I can't say I expected a one of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I had no idea the retro game corps dude wrote cookbooks lol.

https://youtu.be/StvlhW8TCEE

Also shocked he still in the navy.

Next you're gonna tell me that Taki Udon is a bodybuilder