Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Michaellaneous posted:

Something I found out.
If you loose a campaign, you get to restart with more funds than last time based on how many stars you got. Appearently this game is like FTl in which you are supposed to loose until you get that one godrun going.

Regarding planes: In a city, when you are on the screen to buy fuel, you can scroll to the right to buy different shells for guns and also weapons for your planes.
Yeah, this is only indicated in the manual.

Huh, that's interesting about the funds. I wonder if they just keep going up forever so even the most hopeless player eventually has a chance?

Also regarding the shops, it definitely seemed like you could buy high explosive rounds there, which someone said was the standard round which infinite. Curious about that, or maybe I'm misremembering flame rounds or something. Either way, how do you choose which rounds or missiles a ship is using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
when you're setting up for battle, you can choose there. HE ammo shows up as an option if you have something else to choose, otherwise you default to HE

keep in mind you have to match the caliber too, don't go buying a bunch of 100mm AP rounds if you've got no 100mm guns

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Play posted:

How do you add armor at the shipyard? For that matter do you need to make new ships in the editor first or can you design them directly from a shipyard?

In the main menu editor you can design anything you want, and it will be available to choose from the start. However once you're in a run you can only choose parts that shipyards have in stock. So when you look at their inventory (bottom of the repair screen) you can see what they have and what you have, and you can start bolting on whatever you want however you want.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

when you're setting up for battle, you can choose there. HE ammo shows up as an option if you have something else to choose, otherwise you default to HE

keep in mind you have to match the caliber too, don't go buying a bunch of 100mm AP rounds if you've got no 100mm guns

Yeah luckily at the supply shop each type of ammunition shows whether it applies and to which ships when you click on a certain ammo type.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Play posted:

Yeah luckily at the supply shop each type of ammunition shows whether it applies and to which ships when you click on a certain ammo type.

There's a piece of paper you can click in the bottom right of the shop that pulls up a list of ammo types your ships are eligible for and you can buy them directly from there

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I may be dumb, but how do you refill consumables like anti-ship missiles or flares? They don't seem to show up in the ammo section of the supply shop. Do you literally have to buy a new component in the shipyard each time?

Also lmao do not ever take the event choice that asks you to stay in a town for two full days for some rescue mission. It got me murdered by a million cruise missiles :v:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Watched the developer's video and it seemed to highlight a lot of functionality that the streamers I'd seen hadn't picked up on at all and also doesn't seem to be explained by the UI anywhere, and I'm gonna be honest - I'm kinda hype at the idea of reading a manual in TYooL 2021.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Perestroika posted:

I may be dumb, but how do you refill consumables like anti-ship missiles or flares? They don't seem to show up in the ammo section of the supply shop. Do you literally have to buy a new component in the shipyard each time?

Also lmao do not ever take the event choice that asks you to stay in a town for two full days for some rescue mission. It got me murdered by a million cruise missiles :v:

If you're dumb we are both dumb (very plausible) because I'm struggling to understand the difference between types of missiles, how they are armed/refilled, how you can tell how many you have, which ones are used in battle and which used in the overmap, etc.

Voyager I posted:

Watched the developer's video and it seemed to highlight a lot of functionality that the streamers I'd seen hadn't picked up on at all and also doesn't seem to be explained by the UI anywhere, and I'm gonna be honest - I'm kinda hype at the idea of reading a manual in TYooL 2021.

Manuals are cool af imho

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Seems like cruisers can be crazy useful later on, if you armour them correctly so they don't take too much expensive damage
For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvJ-E9TTEHM

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 28, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

main main strike craft

any way to make dumb bombs more accurate or increase visual range on them? made a carpet bomber but it doesn't work great.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 28, 2021

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I think bombing is generally something for very fast corvettes that you send in first during a sudden strike to blow up enemy ships before they can take off, or neutralize ground based missile launchers? Before having them retreat after they are done with their bomb load.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Patrat posted:

I think bombing is generally something for very fast corvettes that you send in first during a sudden strike to blow up enemy ships before they can take off, or neutralize ground based missile launchers? Before having them retreat after they are done with their bomb load.

that's how i had them built but idk, it seems hard to replenish the bombs. i'm just gonna do the same thing with missiles instead.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I haven't found good use for strike bombers. I can consistently get surprise attacks with good scouting and IR, but at that point i've always found it easier to just toss a bunch of HE toward the deck rather than try to score a hit with a bomb.

There needs to be a balance patch that gives you unlimited 250lb HE bombs like regular ammo, instead of just having to buy the 1000lb ones. Missiles right now work pretty good as a rare resource at least, since they track and I can reliably get hits.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

A few more primers: After your lost your first campaign, go to the shipeditor, copy - or make your own - ship and change it around. Add more armor. One layer of armor is good, 2 is already a huge jump. 3 layers of armor can withstand a nuclear blast.

Any ship you save will be available at your next campaign start. Points from lost runs are tallied and added to your new starting funds. It's additive and does not reset between runs. So if you ae struggling, keep playing a bit, get some kills, and farm points for your next start.

If you want to use your design as a flagship, you need to go to the game folder, Ships. Edit the .seria file and add m_flagship=true

I recommend editing the sevastopol a bit. It should never actually fight, so remove any weapon and slap some basic CIWS (37mm or 57mm) on there.

e: armor is also cheap and quick to repair.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

I haven't found good use for strike bombers. I can consistently get surprise attacks with good scouting and IR, but at that point i've always found it easier to just toss a bunch of HE toward the deck rather than try to score a hit with a bomb.

There needs to be a balance patch that gives you unlimited 250lb HE bombs like regular ammo, instead of just having to buy the 1000lb ones. Missiles right now work pretty good as a rare resource at least, since they track and I can reliably get hits.

Bummer, I haven't used them much but the idea of making hyperspeed bomber interceptors to hit craft still on the ground was an idea I hoped to explore.

So I haven't done it in a campaign yet, but I was testing the Lightning(?), the interceptor. Do not sleep on that interceptor, my god. You spend a lot of time in dogfights in black-out G hell, but in a test in the ship builder I managed to destroy 3 much meaner, much heavier craft by baiting their friends into shooting them with guns and missiles. It's wild how much you can get done with a little bit of speed. It's biggest weakness, honestly, ended up being 1v1 when I couldn't create chaos among the enemies.

But seriously, one fight, like 3 missile friendly fires. You can also modify it slightly and put big(ger) chunky guns on it if you're good at aiming the big chunky guns.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I'm mostly anti-roguelike but I hear there are specific cities your can restart from if you get blowed up. How frequent are they, and around how long does it seem a single campaign run would take?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mordja posted:

So I'm mostly anti-roguelike but I hear there are specific cities your can restart from if you get blowed up. How frequent are they, and around how long does it seem a single campaign run would take?

Can't answer your question as I don't know either, but I will say that after having run one play out and getting bonus money for it, the game does seem to want you to fail and try again by giving you more resources for subsequent starts, so I suspect it would be pretty hard to win your first campaign unless you really get a handle on the game's minutia.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Plus every ship class you buy/recruit get added to your starting roster picks. Im just getting the hang of running more than 2 strike groups at once. But I still have no idea wtf about hidden cities even with directions.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Gaj posted:

Plus every ship class you buy/recruit get added to your starting roster picks. Im just getting the hang of running more than 2 strike groups at once. But I still have no idea wtf about hidden cities even with directions.

Turn on ground scan radar and look for roads, then follow the roads. Once you're close enough to follow them visually its pretty easy.

Not every settlement in the desert is a Hidden City though.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Man i love this, but the mouse acceleration is driving me round the loving twist, especially on the radio intercepts. Also it seems to apply it to the scrollwheel too?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if you want to get rid of the bullet holes:
https://i.vgy.me/VQouH0.png save and rename this Midground3.png. go to your \Steam\steamapps\common\HighFleet\Media\Tex folder, back up the Midground3.png in there in case you change your mind, and then overwrite it with the new one.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I'd like this a lot better if it had a longer aiming arrow, like say, all the way across the screen. I spend more time missing and getting blown up then anything else.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mordja posted:

a few cities are save points.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Turn on ground scan radar and look for roads, then follow the roads. Once you're close enough to follow them visually its pretty easy.

Not every settlement in the desert is a Hidden City though.

You mean what I thought were farms and suburbs are actual things? OK so now what do I do, land near em?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Gaj posted:

You mean what I thought were farms and suburbs are actual things? OK so now what do I do, land near em?

If you can roughly find it on radar, get close enough for it to be in your visual detection circle, and a little white circle will pop up and give you the landing prompt. Again not every one gets to be one.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I will give this game credit, even though it annoyed me enough to refund it last night I have more than once today thought about playing it again. It definitely has something about it that's missing from most games these days.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

deep dish peat moss posted:

I will give this game credit, even though it annoyed me enough to refund it last night I have more than once today thought about playing it again. It definitely has something about it that's missing from most games these days.

lmao what is ur av from

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

how the gently caress did this get so little attention and

THE BAR posted:

Officer Guy looks like Slavoj Žižek.

"now tell me: do you understand that by delivering the most absolute display of force only and when truly necessary, *sniff* this bombardment means the sublimation of ideological violence into redemptive terror?"

awright gonna so play this

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

dead gay comedy forums posted:

how the gently caress did this get so little attention and

"now tell me: do you understand that by delivering the most absolute display of force only and when truly necessary, *sniff* this bombardment means the sublimation of ideological violence into redemptive terror?"

awright gonna so play this

and so on, and so on

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

verbal enema posted:

lmao what is ur av from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TWKMuo9Nlw
It's just a short looped animated version of the album cover

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 29, 2021

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I think firing off a nuke escalates the difficulty of enemies

so don’t do what I did and fire one off at a strike group only to have it blown away before it got near

only to find every garrison and strike group having an extra ship and the scariest version possible of each ship

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So I decided to see what kind of ship I would build if I put every single one of my current starting points into one ship. No nukes or cruise missiles as they eat up points really fast (not that I wasn't wasteful with the big guns anyway)

270k points
6 MK-6-180's as the main armament - and with that much 180mm volley fire its hard to miss which just melts enemy frigates and the small cruisers.
16 AK-175 57mm twin cannons - Which erase anything small from the map
22 R-9 Spring interceptor missiles & 4 fire control radars - because the only thing that can harm you is antiship missiles and nukes
I can bulk up the armor to be nuke proof for another few thousand points, and the TWR will still be fine.
Its got nearly 4000km of range at a ecological 3100 tons / 1000km
You can't really land it well at most places either.

https://i.imgur.com/1UO6jFU.png

Its just outright silly but since this is still new I feel like sharing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably not that silly. I haven't seen one described as a battleship yet, but the thrusters mention them. So apparently there's real capital ships! If I was doing that I would probably still have a fast interceptor just to land easier, since that big MFer is probably too fat for almost any pads.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Anyone have an inkling what makes a “flagship?” I tried to make an expensive cruiser that I thought might qualify but it still forced me to take the Sevastopol in a new campaign. I built a cruiser with no missiles (tactical or strategic), lots of guns, lots of fuel, and all of the sensors. It cost over 100k, but only just (I suspected maybe 100k cost meant flagship.)

The Sevastopol is great don’t get me wrong, but I was trying to downsize the flagship as much as I could. Given the way combat works, I’m inclined to never want to mix roles in the sense of having a ship that has cruise missiles but also guns and things. Since I can only ever field one ship I don’t care to bring along strategic weapons with them.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I played the prologue last night and streamed to some friends and we had a blast. I got a bug where upon landing a ship, every time I entered the main “town” screen the ship would shoot off flares. I also got the one where I could take off from the town screen. I finished the prologue and started a real run and found out that I had bought too many ships and didn’t have enough fuel—I guess I’d assumed that taking tanker ships in my opening fleet meant extending my own range, but you have to buy the fuel.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Anyone have an inkling what makes a “flagship?” I tried to make an expensive cruiser that I thought might qualify but it still forced me to take the Sevastopol in a new campaign. I built a cruiser with no missiles (tactical or strategic), lots of guns, lots of fuel, and all of the sensors. It cost over 100k, but only just (I suspected maybe 100k cost meant flagship.)

The Sevastopol is great don’t get me wrong, but I was trying to downsize the flagship as much as I could. Given the way combat works, I’m inclined to never want to mix roles in the sense of having a ship that has cruise missiles but also guns and things. Since I can only ever field one ship I don’t care to bring along strategic weapons with them.

somebody up thread mentioned it's an .ini thing--sounded easy enough to make anything a flagship

unrelated holy poo poo getting in a cruise missile fight with a strike group is loving dope af. oh you thought you had a monopoly on longe range violence? eat loving 10 cruise missiles motherfuckers

also protip throw a couple of flares chuckers on the lightning and it becomes the best bang for your buck in the early game that exists, poo poo rocks

super unrelated, if anyone else is experiencing mouse skipping / mouse jumping issues try reducing your mouse's polling rate - can we get that in the OP? it fixed my issues and took the game from unplayable to fun

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

As above:
If you want to use your design as a flagship, you need to go to the game folder, Ships. Edit the .seria file and add m_flagship=true

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
If anybody knows where the ammo definitions are in these thousands of huge text files, it should theoretically be pretty easy to increase the targeting reticule by finding out whatever flag is set on the laser guided ammo for the guidance laser, and copying it to every other ammo, possibly.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I honestly think I ran into a bug, lol. Campaign spoilers though I got the offer for a meeting with the Governor-General, and I flew my fleet within radar range with the actives turned off. Then I detached my lightning, and I could reach the spot and the ship landed... but it wouldn't let me use the enter town button, selecting a ship or no ship made no difference, it just returned to the map screen and nothing happened. Was I missing something? IDK.

That said, holy gently caress this game is awesome. I didn't think the campaign could possibly start at something as insane as 'rebels nuke the capital and the entire fleet is disorganized and out of communication, the only hope is for the crown prince to attempt a decapitation strike' and it somehow gets more dire and even more of a race against time.

This game is so loving sick lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

The Sevastopol is the only unlocked flagship you start with unlocked, the Varyag Battleship, the Novorossiysk aircraft carrier, and Typhoon missile ship are also Flagships. And I think its a hardcoded flag for story purposes. Probably to prevent you from min-maxing without having a flagship of your own to defend for a gameover state.