Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ruzihm posted:

GS Event effects will only affect you if you enter the event the effects are part of. That means if you get on the main event stage, manage to stay on and don't leave the platform, nothing further will affect you. You also won't win anything for "surviving" these events because you didn't enter them.

He was entered, he played the first two rounds and then DCed when the third started, but somehow managed to avoid getting hit by anything - or does DCing make you immune and knock you out of the event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Where's a free trialer go to dump out gil?

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Regarding Professions, I just leveled all three DoL (Mining, Botany, & Fishing) from 1-80 and it probably cost me 800-900g all said to keep up with gear, and those three share the same gear (minus main-hand and off-hand). That doesn't include any items I chose to buy of MB instead of farming myself.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Where do I actually need to go to unlock my retainer? I'm done with the ARR MSQ and the wiki says there should be someone in each main city that can give me the retainer quest, but I don't see any of them and there aren't any quest icons for it on my map. I checked to see if I'd already picked it up but it's not in my journal either.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Where do I actually need to go to unlock my retainer? I'm done with the ARR MSQ and the wiki says there should be someone in each main city that can give me the retainer quest, but I don't see any of them and there aren't any quest icons for it on my map. I checked to see if I'd already picked it up but it's not in my journal either.

Are you on the free trial? Retainer access is sadly a paid-only feature.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There should be an NPC marked "Retainer Vocate" near any of the market board areas.

E: But also yes no trials

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Nope, on a paid sub but I don't see any Vocates anywhere around the market boards.

edit: Nevermind, found one in a stall! So is the wiki info about doing a small questline for them just outdated? I definitely don't remember doing any of that.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I just did it the other day. I think it was one where you just talk to two people and it's complete then the active help pops up

I'm lvl 43 going through MSQ and I spent about an hour cooking and just buying 99 of every ingredient in the guild supplier. Probably a waste of money (couldn't have been more than a couple thousand Gil) but it sucks going back and forth for 2 of a certain item.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
What the gently caress? Every single EU server is full and not accepting new characters???

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ouroboros posted:

What the gently caress? Every single EU server is full and not accepting new characters???

fortunately, it's the "soft" full, not the complete access-denied full. You can't make a character on any server that has more than a certain number of people currently logged on. If you wait until off-prime hours, you'll get in no problem. You can even make your character in the benchmark, save the appearance data, and load it in the real game to do it all ahead of time.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

edit: Nevermind, found one in a stall! So is the wiki info about doing a small questline for them just outdated? I definitely don't remember doing any of that.

I did it a month or so ago on an alt I made to do the main quest with a friend. An adventurer asks you investigate their missing retainer, you find the retainer in the wilderness near YOUR_FREE_COMPANY_TOWN and rescue them from MURDEROUS_WILDLIFE, the grateful retainer asks you to speak with the retainer vocate.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

The man called M posted:

Are professions a means of making money like in WoW, or something more?

Others have already pointed out the profession quests (which are entertaining).

You can make steady income at higher levels through gathering. In particular at around level 40 you can start gathering Timeworn Maps, which are needed for the Treasure Hunt mini-game (ie, you use a map, reveal a treasure chest, fight some enemies, and then get the loot, which can give rare crafting materials). You can gather one Timeworn Map every 18 hours (I think?) and sell the unopened map on the MB. While generally the lower level maps are not in high demand, once you get out of ARR the maps start to sell for a decent amount of money (~50k for the current highest level map). It's not an amazing amount of money, but it is basically free.

Another good source of income from gathering and crafting professions are gathering/crafting HQ gear for Grand Company turn-ins. Basically each day you can turn some items in (for each gathering and crafting profession) to your Grand Company and get a boatload of XP (etc) for that profession. You get double if you turn in a HQ item. One good thing about it is that you don't even have to gather or craft the item itself, so many people will just purchase the HQ items off the MB and turn them in for XP (a majority of my gathering and crafting XP came this way because I am super lazy). If you can routinely gather or craft HQ items, you can sell them on the MB for a decent amount of money.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

Where's a free trialer go to dump out gil?

I went around and bought all the pets I could find.
Then bought a bought 99 of one crafting vendors Matt's at a time and tried to level up that crafting as high as possible.

Not effective or efficient. But it sure does burn Gill and converts it into levels for crafting.
My biggest problem is I ran out of crystals and can't figure out how to get more back easily.

Mining for one at a time sucks

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Without the market board you can only mine or reap crystals which is a time waster but you do get abilities later that boost how many crystals you get per interaction.

Edit: The Twelve's Bounty at level 20 increases yields by 3.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 28, 2021

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
If you're still on the trial and hitting gil caps, you can also just buy up to 999 of various consumables that will be useful longterm - gyshal greens, grade 7 dark matter (if you get into crafting you can use that to self repair gear), crafting/gathering food, dyes, etc.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

Kwyndig posted:

Without the market board you can only mine or reap crystals which is a time waster but you do get abilities later that boost how many crystals you get per interaction.

Edit: The Twelve's Bounty at level 20 increases yields by 3.

If you have an apartment or a house, you can get involved in Gardening. While there are a number of different things that can be grown, one of the simple plants gives you 50 crystals every ~18 hours. In an apartment you can have two gardening pots and in a house you can have ten (or more for the larger houses!), so it is easy to get hundreds of (nearly) free crystals per day (of course there are other things that you can grow that might be more profitable). Since I am lazy I use my gardening plots to grow 500 crystals per day, which is around 50k gil for little work.

Many Free Companies allow members to use crystals in the FC bank, as they are so easily replaced.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Food in general is good to purchase, it's not as important as it used to be but all food gives an experience point bonus as well as a stat boost which can come in handy when facing trials, extreme or otherwise.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pasha posted:

If you have an apartment or a house, you can get involved in Gardening. While there are a number of different things that can be grown, one of the simple plants gives you 50 crystals every ~18 hours. In an apartment you can have two gardening pots and in a house you can have ten (or more for the larger houses!), so it is easy to get hundreds of (nearly) free crystals per day (of course there are other things that you can grow that might be more profitable). Since I am lazy I use my gardening plots to grow 500 crystals per day, which is around 50k gil for little work.

Many Free Companies allow members to use crystals in the FC bank, as they are so easily replaced.

That's all great but you can't do any of those things on a free trial account.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

If the person interested in crystals is on free trial then they don't have access to owning housing or free companies, but if they have a friend who owns a house they could be a tenant and work the garden

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

LeninVS posted:

My biggest problem is I ran out of crystals and can't figure out how to get more back easily. Mining for one at a time sucks
Gatherers get abilities that significantly increase their crystal yields later, but "later" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

Beyond leveling a bunch:
- You get 1000 shards or so of each kind from doing the initial 15 levels worth of job quests on all the crafters.
- Try not to craft intermediates if you can avoid it. Don't make things like iron ingots (more than once): buy them from one of the vendors that sell them.
- Don't do quick crafting unless you legitimately need a lot of something that you cannot buy. You get a fraction of the XP from a quick craft that you would from a proper craft of the same item with even a partially filled quality bar.
- Crafting Levequests reward significantly more crystals than they cost to complete.
- If a non-trial, just buy shards and crystals on the market board. They're cheap, due to all the aforementioned quests handing out tons.

Mass crafting the same thing over and over isn't very useful. Your best sources of XP if you want to craft early on are Grand Company turn-ins, crafter job quests, levequests and crafting log completion, in that order. Later you unlock other types of turn-ins like collectibles and custom deliveries. Most people just wait to level hand and land jobs until they've unlocked The Firmament towards the end of the first expansion, which offers a bunch of fast turn-ins.

Personally I enjoy doing low level crafting, it can be profitable if you can be arsed to keep your gear sufficiently up-to-date to HQ your crafts. I have an alt that I've earned about 600k on just working my way through the crafting log up to level 35ish and selling all the HQ gear I've made. It's slower and way more fiddly than just doing levequest or other hand-ins, but I get crafting log completion, twink gear and money out instead. However, I really can't recommend taking crafters past the point where you start needing gathered materials as a trial without access to the market board. There are a lot of crafting materials in FF14 and self sourcing them all is extremely limiting and painful. The system is built assuming that people will trade for stuff as they need it.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

Kwyndig posted:

That's all great but you can't do any of those things on a free trial account.

True, but maybe it would be useful for newer players to the game that are not on a free trial. While it was pointed out in the first post, there is a ton of "optional" things in the game that drastically improve a new player's experience (the glamour system for example is fantastic, but is an "optional" unlock). I know that I missed out on many of these things when I first started playing and it would have been nice to know that they existed ...

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

So how does the leveling roulette work? I’m 47 and have to get to 50 to progress the MSQ (and Job) and I kind of just assumed I’d be at the appropriate level at this point but I need 3 more. Haven’t had a chance to queue yet but looked and it under roulette>leveling it was one lvl 16 dungeon, which, uh, might take a while to get 47-50, although I know it switches up. Is it daily? Once done is the next best thing just duty finder for highest level dungeon?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

squirrelzipper posted:

So how does the leveling roulette work? I’m 47 and have to get to 50 to progress the MSQ (and Job) and I kind of just assumed I’d be at the appropriate level at this point but I need 3 more. Haven’t had a chance to queue yet but looked and it under roulette>leveling it was one lvl 16 dungeon, which, uh, might take a while to get 47-50, although I know it switches up. Is it daily? Once done is the next best thing just duty finder for highest level dungeon?

Level 16 is the minimum level to enter the roulette, because you need to qualify for at least two dungeons. It picks a random dungeon (tending to weight towards lower levels because you might party up with lower-level people), and at the end of your first roulette each day, it gives you a massive chunk of xp so that the xp isn't too different no matter what dungeon you get. You should gain at least a level in the 40-50 range each time you do it (once per day)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

squirrelzipper posted:

16 is the minimum level for the roulette, it has every regular 4-man dungeon that you've unlocked so far. There's a separate roulette for ones at max level for each expansion except the latest, and one for max-level dungeons.

How it works is that when you sign up it looks for available parties that need someone with your role. That's why the queue is shorter for healers and tanks, there are less of them around. It privileges placing you in parties with people hard-queueing for things, as in not in a roulette, but if it's all roulette users it just picks a dungeon at random that everyone in the group has unlocked.

It'll give you your spot in line and the estimated wait time when you register, but you won't know what dungeon you're going to until you load into it.

Also yeah, after that you can just queue for the highest dungeon. Or go unlock the PVP roulette, that also gives a nice big chunk of XP once a day, whether you win or lose.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Begemot posted:

16 is the minimum level for the roulette, it has every regular 4-man dungeon that you've unlocked so far. There's a separate roulette for ones at max level for each expansion except the latest, and one for max-level dungeons.

How it works is that when you sign up it looks for available parties that need someone with your role. That's why the queue is shorter for healers and tanks, there are less of them around. It privileges placing you in parties with people hard-queueing for things, as in not in a roulette, but if it's all roulette users it just picks a dungeon at random that everyone in the group has unlocked.

It'll give you your spot in line and the estimated wait time when you register, but you won't know what dungeon you're going to until you load into it.

Also yeah, after that you can just queue for the highest dungeon. Or go unlock the PVP roulette, that also gives a nice big chunk of XP once a day, whether you win or lose.

Thanks all, I also noticed there’s 3 non MSQ dungeons I don’t have unlocked in the 15-46 range so I’ll go unlock those. Glad to hear it’s a big chunk of XP I neeeed to save Eorzea…

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Is there an actual rhyme or reason for why only like 1 out of every 10 story quests have voice acting? It seems without any real clear design. Does it get less inconsistent after ARR?

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
ARR was done fast and cheap. They had like a year to tear down and rebuild the game. There's a lot more voice acting as the game progresses.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Fair but it still seems so weird when the voices DO kick in early. I remember when I played several years ago I kept thinking I had something set up wrong because there were only voices sometimes.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

squirrelzipper posted:

Thanks all, I also noticed there’s 3 non MSQ dungeons I don’t have unlocked in the 15-46 range so I’ll go unlock those. Glad to hear it’s a big chunk of XP I neeeed to save Eorzea…

Yeah, the 44 and 47 dungeons are optional, and running those for the first time should get you a good chunk of XP. You eventually have to do them for Grand Company promotions, but you're allowed to get them early, it's weird.

The level 35 dungeon used to be required for a quest deep in the post-ARR patches for some reason, but it's completely optional now. Still worth doing though, it's a fun one.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

Fair but it still seems so weird when the voices DO kick in early. I remember when I played several years ago I kept thinking I had something set up wrong because there were only voices sometimes.

I spent an embarassing amount of time troubleshooting my sound settings and my devices trying to figure out why only some cutscenes had voices
I assumed the problem was in my end

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I got into ESO for a bit before XIV and all that voice acting spoiled me. As much as I’m loving it so far that’s the one thing that always takes me out of the moment.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The man called M posted:

Are professions a means of making money like in WoW, or something more?

High level crafting and gathering is basically the best way to make money that involves playing the game normally and not doing stuff like botting/multiboxing, getting your one person guild, and selling runs. Running a lot of maps might be comparable, but you can't really do that alone and it's more RNG dependant.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Begemot posted:

Yeah, the 44 and 47 dungeons are optional, and running those for the first time should get you a good chunk of XP. You eventually have to do them for Grand Company promotions, but you're allowed to get them early, it's weird.

The level 35 dungeon used to be required for a quest deep in the post-ARR patches for some reason, but it's completely optional now. Still worth doing though, it's a fun one.

Yeah my fear either way was unwarranted. Did the daily levelling roulette, and a Stone Vigil duty and am close to 49 now. That's just fine - I was worried that it was going to be a grind, but its not at all. Which is nice.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ruin 2 doesn’t replace Ruin 1 in the Summoner rotation, right? Far as I can tell, it’s your “nuke when you need to move” spell

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Regalingualius posted:

Ruin 2 doesn’t replace Ruin 1 in the Summoner rotation, right? Far as I can tell, it’s your “nuke when you need to move” spell

Correct, Ruin 2 costs more MP but doesn't do more damage than Ruin 1, you only want to use it on the move to avoid downtime in your rotation.

There are circumstances where spells do replace each other in the rotation and in those cases it replaces the spell on your hotbar.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Ruin 3 will eventually replace ruin 1 completely. and later on you will get a proc that will replace ruin 2 with Ruin 4. Ruin 4 is a very strong spell but you can store a few charges of it so you can save it for a part of your rotation where you need to move or weave in ogcds.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Just ran Stone Vigil a few times to get XP and the last run was all sprouts, myself included, and the tank got something off on the last boss and died, then the healer died, then very quickly I died (BLM) but then the boss did it’s last phase in the air and our dragoon danced it to death and we won and there was much cheering and shouting and it was fun.

E; oh and I’m 50 now so that was 1 lvl roulette and 3 stone vigils to go from 47 to 50 so that was not even worth worrying about.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the MSQ gap still exists in ARR but it's fairly trivial to level past now, unlike at launch where people would spend days grinding fates in Northern Thanalan.

If you're on a Road to 70 server you won't even notice.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I'm going to say that in the long term you'll make all your money back on crafting, but that you can also do so in the short term by timing it well. I had 25m on me from saving up without crafters, blew most of it getting them up to speed in 5.3 while the market was at its low point, and made all of that back and more from starter sets in 5.4 launch.

Crafting also severely cuts down on your repair bills, and completely removes any cost for getting the starter raid gear, something you'll be doing three times an expansion at most (less if not always current, but even if you don't raid you'll probably find yourself wanting a piece here and there).

The big money sink is also in gearing them when they're max level, leveling them itself is primarily just a time sink.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

I am feeling kinda overwhelmed coming back to my old character. I originally played 1.0 and a little bit in the middle of ARR, most of my playtime was right before and after Stormblood launched, I rushed my NIN to 70 and got all my other jobs to 30+, with my doh/l I got them all to 50+ and burned out. I recently came back but I'm not sure what I want to do. I don't really remember how to play most of my jobs. Here is my character: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/8507025/

I kinda want to replay through the Stormblood MSQ before starting Shadowbringers, and I want to play a different job. I started a new character on a preferred server a couple months ago to take it slow and absorb the story which has been great. However, I kinda feel like I'm wasting my time a little bit and dreading the idea of doing all that farming and crafting again. My goal was to have my fresh character get through the MSQ to the point where my old character was and then switch back over when I feel more comfortable and familiar. Either way, I was hoping to play with some goons. I'm not averse to a server transfer and I also noticed I have a 1.0 character on one of the legacy servers too, that I kinda wanna do the msq stuff on instead...

I'm feeling completely paralyzed by my indecision! Are there any good YT videos or guides for returning players like me that need a refresher?