Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've been playing a lot of Nioh lately and kept trying to dodge with X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
There's no reason William Adams can't be in (more) Sengoku Musou games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The other characters definitely feel a lot better to play

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Jack Trades posted:

I'm not sure if I am able to enjoy a musou game without dodge cancelling anymore.

Oh, nooooo...

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Definitely feels back to basics but that's not an awful idea. The story mode has definitely not taken any lessons from SoS, that's for sure.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah, young nobu just feels really bad to play with his favored weapon; maybe it'll get better when he gets better combos but the other chars felt a lot better in the demo.

Bow actually played better than I thought it would.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

RoyalScion posted:

Yeah, young nobu just feels really bad to play with his favored weapon; maybe it'll get better when he gets better combos but the other chars felt a lot better in the demo.

I agree, the other characters played much better but even then once you get used to his flow he is pretty decent

That said I am hoping that even if Musou mode is Nobunaga/Mitsuhide centric we still get a few small character campaigns in there

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Protagonist characters who start off weak and get far more powerful later on are not unknown in musou games. I'm mainly thinking of Guts in Berserk Musou here, who goes from unimpressive to an unstoppable shitwrecker over the course of the campaign.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So what is the best Dynasty Warriors experience that can be had on the PC right now?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Korak posted:

So what is the best Dynasty Warriors experience that can be had on the PC right now?

Dynasty Warriors specifically? For story, 7. For gameplay, 8 (and/or Xtreme Legends and Empires depending on taste).

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Korak posted:

DW8:XTreme is still very solid and will keep you going for a while just with story. If you're a completionist then much, much longer.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

RoyalScion posted:

That's good to hear considering Zhu Ran was the loving worst character in DW8 XL due to how lovely the bow's moveset was.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

The SW5 team seems to have played Fate/Extella Link, if these Ultimate Moves are any indicator.

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's good to hear considering Zhu Ran was the loving worst character in DW8 XL due to how lovely the bow's moveset was.

The Zhu Ran's flame bow specifically was a mess of a weapon. The regular bow and bow & rods were mediocre but at least usable.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Dynasty Warriors specifically? For story, 7. For gameplay, 8 (and/or Xtreme Legends and Empires depending on taste).

8xl is probably the most fun to play for my money right now, but i have a particular soft spot for spirit of sanada (technically samurai warriors but for the purpose of this opinion i'm interpreting "dynasty warriors" as "musou" whether the op meant it that way or not)

It's very fun to play, because it's based on the SW4 engine, which is good, and I like the shallow extra layer that the optional objectives and accompanying strategic rewards add to the mix. But more than that, I think it does a great job of telling a particular story with a beginning, middle, and end, which these games have always struggled with a bit imo; the narrow-ish scope works well for it, following the story of particularly interesting characters (yukimura was always a cover art character, and the game obviously does him justice, but it also delves pretty deep into his father's story, as well as the drama between yukimura and his brother, all of which is honestly even more interesting imo), and all the farming/fishing/shrine stuff in the castle town in between battles scratches a particular itch of mine, though that could just be a me thing I guess.

It also has one of the coolest music tracks in the series, which is only improved by the context of the battle(s) that it's featured in

(although if i had to pick the most fun musou game, i'd probably choose hyrule warriors, but that is not on PC)

e: all of this said, i wouldn't treat it as a proper historical retelling or anything; major figures are omitted, it's all very stylized and anime, but for what it is, it's very good

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 25, 2021

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So how is SW5 if I'm someone who doesn't care about weapon moves being cloned (I think everyone being unique is overrated, tbh)?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I have mixed feelings on Hideyoshi’s moveset going from pretty rad 3-section staff to a super aerial naginata moveset. To be fair, flying through the air with naginata is pretty gratifying too, it’s just pretty different from my usual musou instinct of staying grounded. Midair juggling does feel nice when you can pull it off on an officer though.

I will say that Ultimate Skills do feel like they can define a lot of how a weapon feels depending on what loadout you want to go with. Oda feels a lot better once he has some ultimates equipped so he can be jumping across the battlefield all the time, and honestly his moveset feels fine for being a nice standard weapon that can handle most things. One thing I didn’t expect was SW5 lifting very slightly the concept of enemy weaknesses/resistances from fire emblem, though it’s mainly just segregated to the ultimate skills a weapon has rather than defining their entire moveset, and I haven’t run into any battles yet where I have to consider weaknesses yet. So far, it’s mostly just a way to clear out shield wielders. I’m still too early on in the game to really judge though, and I haven’t tried out katanas or any ninjas yet.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm assuming this will also run poorly on switch handheld mode?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm assuming this will also run poorly on switch handheld mode?

Probably about as poorly as Orochi 4.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don't mind the clones that much since the ultimate skills and special EX moves do create a decent amount of diversity, but YMMV really.

I'm not a huge fan of how some of the chars are handled:

No dies super early, and probably Sena will bite it pretty soon I would guess thanks to historical stuff (right now I'm in the middle of Nobunaga crushing the Azai-Asakura alliance); I also felt Imagawa died a bit too early too, there wasnt' really enough Lu Bu time for me to be satisfied

Maps are okay, peons and officers are definitely a lot more aggressive than in SW4. Also those blue spear mooks are hilarious waste of time to kill and aren't worth it at all, since you basically need to spend an ultimate to kill them, they have super armor, and stunlock you with their pokes.

Music is good but they definitely remixed a lot of stuff from older games and SoS.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a way to set a 360 controller's x button to turbo automatically on PC?

(oh God I'm getting old :().

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Oichi switching to talismans is an interesting choice. Ends up fitting her mostly cause talismans are just a modified version of Himiko's idol lasers from Warriors Orochi anyways.

Ninja blades are pretty fun to run around with too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Arbite posted:

Is there a way to set a 360 controller's x button to turbo automatically on PC?

(oh God I'm getting old :().

Maybe with xinputplus or xpadder or something similar

Uh..hell, maybe you can make a Steam Controller config to do it?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Having tried every weapon except Older Mitsuhide's weapon now, I can say all the ninjas are good. Just a shame it takes until Chapter 4 before you really are free to pick them, meaning you're basically locked to Oda and Mitsuhide for most of the early chapters. Though if you pick up those weapons in the Citadel mode, you could technically try them out early with a non-specialized character, though I am starting to notice the variable quirks the characters have with with their preferred weapon does add to the feel of certain weapons. Like I think Yamanaka feels a lot better with twin blades in comparison to Ieyasu. Also Hanbei with drums is still fun and good.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don't understand the naginata at all, it just feels terrible to me. The odachi still feels a bit clunky but once Nobunaga gets his special moves and some atk speed it at least lawnmows everything.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 29, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How's the PC version? Musou games are always a real mixed bag on PC, but I'd hope that by now they'd be good at it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The demo had an issue for me where it would swap to my second monitor when I tried to fullscreen it and I couldn't fix that at all. Seemed to run fine otherwise.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

How's the PC version? Musou games are always a real mixed bag on PC, but I'd hope that by now they'd be good at it

I tried the trial of the PC version, it's probably the smoothest it's ever been. Controls were mapped like a sane person, framerate seemed perfectly fine. A huge improvement over SW4-2, and even over DW8XL.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The demo had an issue for me where it would swap to my second monitor when I tried to fullscreen it and I couldn't fix that at all. Seemed to run fine otherwise.

I didn't try to fullscreen it, I'm used to DW8XL not wanting to go on the screen I want it on fullscreen so I end up playing windowed.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Not gonna lie, there's a certain satisfaction to be had in SW5 from making your combo last an entire stage.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Finally finished all the musou missions, there's a couple hypothetical scenarios which are decently cool.

Overall I think the bow, cannons, great spear, and talismans are probably my favorite weapons.

Katana feels cool but seems a bit weak in damage.

Odachi is a bit slow and clunky for my taste but it's carried by Nobunaga's EX moveset later.

Dual swords and naginata felt terrible for me.

I didn't dabble too much in the other weapons so I can't really say too much about them.

Momochi's ultimate skill is turbobusted though.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 30, 2021

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Both the odachi and katana are just decent all-around weapons just because you're expected to be using Oda and Mitsuhide a lot of the time. I was pretty down on katana just cause there's a few too many characters who prefer katana, but I will admit that Demon King Oda with katana felt pretty good when he's doing darkness explosions everywhere, and felt very reminiscent of Classic Oda. It felt nicely different even if it was the same base katana moveset that you had been using the entire game with Mitsuhide. Oda himself just ends up pretty drat strong eventually just cause of his own unique skills and passive where he'll just automatically proc debuffs on everyone around him.

As I said before, all the ninja end up being very fun to play as and their weapons are strong in general, though you don't get that much opportunity to play with Hanzo and his ninja blade. Momochi and his chain sickle are ridiculous especially with his ultimate skill. Mitsuki is available for most of the game once you get her, and her punching poo poo is fun and rad, which by extension implies that Yasuke is pretty fun too since he also punches though I haven't gotten the chance to try him yet. Nakamura plus all the other cannon wielders are all pretty rad, and he's generally available most of the time alongside Mitsuki.

Also pro-tip, unlock everyone's personal ultimate skills from their skill tree as soon as possible.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

RoyalScion posted:

I also felt Imagawa died a bit too early too

This is funny to me since the SW game I remember the most is the first one where he dies at the end of the very first level so having him around any longer than that would qualify as "dying way later than expected" to me. :v:

Having the story take place way before most of the other SW games feels weird to me too. Stuff like Tadakatsu not being considered a man of peerless might yet, or pretty boy Ieyasu are just strange. Anyway I played the first two levels of the demo and my opinion is: it's okay I guess? I played the Switch version and the framerate in the first two fights seemed pretty stable, no weird drops except during some of the cutscenes. Probably not as high as the versions on other consoles though, it seems like it's maybe slightly lower than 30, though again, pretty stable.

I don't understand the Spirit Gauge at all since I have no idea how to increase it, I beat the second stage and never got over a tiny sliver of it. I'm also kind of not fond of the Rage button being ZR and the horse being ZL, I ended up wasting my Rage in the first level because I went to do the bonus objective and tried to call my horse after but pressed the Rage button, and then I couldn't figure out how to get it back so I had to beat up Ieyasu the slow way.

e:

quote:

Music is good but they definitely remixed a lot of stuff from older games and SoS.

This seems to be the standard for SW games anyway, at least as far as I remember for 1 and 2, the music for 2 was mostly the same as the first game's but remixed. This means you get consistent themes like the Sekigahara theme, the Komate-Nagakute theme, the Kawanakaima theme, as opposed to the DW games where the music is different in every game.

Speaking of the Sekigahara theme, the Katana version of it is fantastic and I still want a Pokemon Conquest sequel with it as one of the battle tracks, it feels perfect for the game, it's already pretty similar to the Water battle theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHqY7-4BmjU

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 31, 2021

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't understand the Spirit Gauge at all since I have no idea how to increase it, I beat the second stage and never got over a tiny sliver of it. I'm also kind of not fond of the Rage button being ZR and the horse being ZL, I ended up wasting my Rage in the first level because I went to do the bonus objective and tried to call my horse after but pressed the Rage button, and then I couldn't figure out how to get it back so I had to beat up Ieyasu the slow way.

It goes up based on how high your combo is, need combos in the thousands to expect it to go up at a good rate.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Turncoat Mommy posted:

It goes up based on how high your combo is, need combos in the thousands to expect it to go up at a good rate.

I think it also fills instantly when you get 1000 KOs, but I'm never paying enough attention when that happens so I'm not entirely sure. Regardless, it seems pretty much impossible to use it more than once per stage, at least without having Spirit on your weapon.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Well they revamped him so I expected him to stick around a bit longer although historically he would die early in this timeline, just thought there'd be a bit more of him.

The remix thing is only really notable to me because they brought in part of the Sanada Maru music from SoS into it.

I guess other comments; the aging is kind of cool but feels out of place since nobody else ages, Ieyasu stays a small person forever.

Mitsuhide's path gives a bit more context to the story but often times you've already played that exact same scenario with Nobunaga so it gets a bit old. It gets better after the "timeskip" though.

Yasuke shows up super late (for timeline reasons) so you don't get to use him much.

Honestly I never used rage mode much, pretty much only on final bosses with more than one health bar. The main annoying thing is that those enemies have to get a small transition period to move to their next bar during which time they're invincible, and if you're juggling them or freezing them they also can't move to their next health bar.

It's best to use rage mode on the last bar since they get increased stats too.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yasuke doesn't play too differently than Mitsuki, just trading ninja clone lasers moves for punch harder so you can probably get an idea of how he plays off of Mitsuki. He basically comes in to replace Mitsuki so if you had been focusing Mitsuki like I did, it's very easy to switch over if you like that moveset.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
Leaked game play of DW9 Empires, Warning: Super loud, turn your volume down before playing it.

Just a battle map, pretty uninspired imo but still could be fun. Hopefully the CaC is good, if the game play is meh i can at least have fun making lots of characters. Lol at that initial loading time though

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, does my "army" ever get stronger in SW5?

I'm running around taking over all of the barracks but it seems like they're either never spawning enough units to mount a counter attack or the few that are spawned are just too weak to kill any basic enemies. I often come back and find my barracks guy swarmed by enemies or already dead.

It just feels like the only way to take over the map is if i'm the one to kill every last enemy on the screen.

IIRC Hyrule Warriors had the best system for this in that once you killed leader units, took over spawn points and left an area, the weaker enemy fodder would slowly die off to stimulate your army killing them all.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kin posted:

It just feels like the only way to take over the map is if i'm the one to kill every last enemy on the screen.

I noticed this too, when I did the second level I had defeated every officer except Dosan himself, yet large portions of the map were still red, and the large group of soldiers in the middle of the map didn't move the entire time, they just stood there.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I noticed this too, when I did the second level I had defeated every officer except Dosan himself, yet large portions of the map were still red, and the large group of soldiers in the middle of the map didn't move the entire time, they just stood there.

Yeah, it gets kinda frustrating after a while. The whole army and swaying the tide of battle mechanic is such a big draw to these games.

It's still fun but just feels like there's too much much riding on my to do stuff.

It's the same thing with the "partner". I know they've always been a lot weaker than when you control them, but bringing a lower level one along means you've just got a liability quickly losing health outside of your direct intervention.

edit:
On a separate note, is SW4: Empires (or any empires game really) pretty much just pure take over a world map base by base in each battle or do levels have missions and objectives and such?

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Kin posted:

Yeah, it gets kinda frustrating after a while. The whole army and swaying the tide of battle mechanic is such a big draw to these games.

Might be rose-tinted glasses but I remember this being a huge deal in the old Warriors games.