Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
This is likely dumb as hell, but I have no idea how to find out more about this.

PC Gamer magazine (at least US version) would have these weird little snippets on the last page of every issue, bottom right. They’d never acknowledge it, iirc once someone wrote in asking and they were like “what stories?”.

I’m mainly curious how long they did this for and their reasoning, but I can’t find a combination of search terms that gets me there. I’m sure it was just some dumb creative writing thing from an editor, but I thiiiink they may have followed an arc issue to issue?

I found some old scans online and included a screenshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

fritz posted:

I'll produce more lists.

For the love of God don't. I already found at least four books that I own and a couple more that I’ve read, and I'll feel compelled to keep looking.
Is this what OCD feels like?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Xotl posted:

Yeah, any chance of a better scan or even the current one with less jpg artifacts or whatever?

It is sounding like that might as as good as it gets at least at the moment. I think they took a picture of the polaroid at their folks' house and haven't gotten back there recently.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

For the love of God don't. I already found at least four books that I own and a couple more that I’ve read, and I'll feel compelled to keep looking.
Is this what OCD feels like?

what have i done

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

fritz posted:

If somebody with better eyes has a guess as to the distribution of letters, I'll produce more lists. ISFDB should have covers for these things too, and if nobody comes up with anything better I'll see if I can wrangle something there.

My impression is one word, 5-8 letters. I'm thinking wide, stylized fonts. Sorting by first letters like C & O, potentially a stylized G or T.

Some horror books published by Coronet have the look I have in mind, but can't find a match!

Edit: This is the perfect white whale puzzle. I'm hooked.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 27, 2021

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Xotl posted:

This is really cool, but the impression I had was that the title was one word and the smaller text directly underneath was the author's name. I assume it's title/author rather than author/title because if it was a big enough name I assume someone would have recognized it by now, but that's a guess.

I cut out everything but the book and applied a bit of contrast, which helps a touch. The artifacting is really hurting this though.

I'm seeing it (the main white part) as two lines of text, with the second possibly ending in -TING. ___ Hunting maybe?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I tried feeding it into a bunch of online neural network upscalers but there isn’t enough there for them to work with, apparently.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Just letter wise, I'm seeing it as something like (made up word) Gammoid Stars, but it seems like maybe there's a hyphen between the words...

This is gonna break my brain

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 28, 2021

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That fonting looks odd to me, like there's some roger Dean / psygnosis stuff going. I see what looks like a lower case i but it looks directly connected to an n. And the letter before that could be a stylized p or R?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

That fonting looks odd to me, like there's some roger Dean / psygnosis stuff going. I see what looks like a lower case i but it looks directly connected to an n. And the letter before that could be a stylized p or R?

it couldnt be more clear

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

You dolt, you forgot to enhance it!

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
to me, it looks like it says Asimov like this

but i couldn't find any Asimov covers that match so i don't know

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

fritz posted:

ISFDB has front covers, I don't know if they have back covers.

But I got the bit in my teeth so I downloaded their db, found all novels published between 01JAN1970 and 31DEC1989 in English, and looked for ones with two words in the title, first word 7 or 8 characters, second word 4 or 5 characters.

I don't suppose you could try it with either one or two words, up the lower boundary from 1970 to 1973, and limit it to books published by Ace or Bantam, could you?

Xotl fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 28, 2021

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

It looks like is says GRAMP-PIG and now I wanna read that story.

Ninja edit: Or CRAMPY DOG

Anukahn
Jul 22, 2006

My brain hurts
What if those are Russian alphabet letters :tinfoil:

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I've spent way too much time on this loving book, so here are my thoughts to save someone else some effort.

Let's assume it's sci fi since that's the only vague lead we have.

The front cover layout most closely resembles the famous Penguin designs of the early 70s. In my mind these Ballards are close for the structure of the title/text, but not the illustration:

However hard I squint I can't see a Penguin logo either on the cover or the spine. I've also trawled through the ISFDB by cover for Penguin in the 70s without much luck.

Looks like Panther and Signet also used that sort of layout a few times:

(Panther)
(Signet)

Their branding is less obvious, but - again - I've gone through both publishers on the ISFDB by year, by cover and drawn a blank. The ISFDB doesn't have every cover, so there's a chance it's something niche by one of those publishers but eh. They also occasionally have back cover scans on the ISFDB and I have never seen an example of those five 'arches' that we can see. I agree with whoever said they look like how photos from a movie/TV show are sometimes presented, which makes me think it could be a novelisation, but who knows.

In terms of just looking at cover, the main text (which could be the title or the author's name, depending on the publisher's design preferences) looks like it starts with 'CZ' to me, which would narrow things down a lot - but also open the possibility that it's in an entirely different language as others have suggested. FWIW I couldn't find anything relevant in the ISFDB for either title or author name that would otherwise fit.

The main text looks like a single word, maybe two. Sci Fi titles are generally pretty verbose. It could run onto the next line, but that looks like it's in yellow, compared to the main title's white, to me; but that seems like a fairly common device for distinguishing between title and author name eg:

I can't make out much of the illustration, but to me it looks like a helmeted head, with a red highlighted area where the mouth would be. Like Darth Vader's respirator thing in a triangle. Impossibly vague, but I think you'd know it if you saw it.

That's about all I've got.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

oh my gosh my av

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ThePopeOfFun posted:

My impression is one word, 5-8 letters. I'm thinking wide, stylized fonts. Sorting by first letters like C & O, potentially a stylized G or T.

Some horror books published by Coronet have the look I have in mind, but can't find a match!

Edit: This is the perfect white whale puzzle. I'm hooked.

There are 1006 single-word titles with 5-8 letters.

Coronet novels prior to 1990, not filtered by title length.

quote:

2017 War with Russia, A City of Bells, A Far Sunset, A Plague of Demons, A Report from Group 17, All Fools' Day, Avalon, Avalon, Big Planet, Biggles: The Movie, Bloodstone, Comes the Blind Fury, Cybernia, D.A.R.Y.L., Dark Crusade, Darkness Weaves, Downtime, Fistful of Digits, Gwen in Green, Harvest Home, Killer, Kronk, Ladygrove, Mindspell, Motherlines, Nocturnal, Shall We Tell the President?, She, Slaves of the Klau, Star King, Stowaway to Mars, The Ancient Enemy, The Anome, The Asutra, The Auctioneer, The Black Charade, The Boat of Fate, The Brave Free Men, The Bright Cantonese, The Clan of the Cave Bear, The Cloud Walker, The Crystal Cave, The Devil's Footsteps, The Earth Tripper, The Enemy Stars, The Face, The Gray Prince, The Haunting of Gad's Hall, The Highest Ground, The Hollow Hills, The Journal of Edwin Underhill, The Last Enchantment, The Long Loud Silence, The Mammoth Hunters, The Other, The Secret People, The Sirens of Titan, The Slaves of Heaven, The Tenth Planet, The Throne of Saturn, The Valley of Horses, The Venom of Argus, The War Games of Zelos, The World Shuffler, To Sleep No More, Walk to the End of the World, War Day and the Journey Onward, Who Needs Men?, Wild Talent

Ramc, can I ask people about this elsewhere?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Anukahn posted:

What if those are Russian alphabet letters :tinfoil:

My understanding is that would be unlikely.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

fritz posted:

Go for it. Why should we be the only ones to be haunted by this?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

fritz posted:

There are 1006 single-word titles with 5-8 letters.

Coronet novels prior to 1990, not filtered by title length.

It could be the author’s name too

Ramc
May 4, 2008

And 'probably sci-fi' is an educated guess by the family member. It seems reasonable from what I know, though, and how the book looks.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I still feel that “Sexualis 1984” was dismissed far too hastily.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

I still feel that “Sexualis 1984” was dismissed far too hastily.

Geoffrey Ramdagger's only publication.

edit: only genre publication.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

"you're going to love being dead! The fringe benefits far outweigh the eternal rotting smell."
this is a quote I've been trying to find the origin of forever.

there was this old warcraft 3 custom game called FM Vampire Hunters. it was pretty good, one side was vampires and the other side was humans, it was the genesis for lots of cat and mouse style games that eventually got incredibly sophisticated. when the vampires killed a guy there would be an audio sting of someone saying "naughty... Naughty vampire" and the quote above would play. what's the quote from? I'm sure it's from something. would also like to know where the audio is from but that might just be stock from waredit.exe

the map couldn't be newer than, say, 2007 but is probably closer to 2000-2004.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

fritz posted:

Geoffrey Ramdagger's only publication.

edit: only genre publication.

the book is probably one someone would feel cool leaving out where your family could see on a hotel table during a disney trip

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ramc
May 4, 2008

now gnawing over what if it is some other genre of book or thing and that is some weird print ad on the back of it

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

That looks like a change to the bit from hitchhikers guide when they find the computer.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 29, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ramc posted:

If this book crawls out of my my phone’s screen and drowns my rear end I am going to be upset!
Well, upsetting if I don’t get to read the title up close and become thread hero before I drown.
:pram:

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

That looks like a change to the bit from hitchhikers guide when they find the computer.

If you're referring to the discord screenshot, it's a reference to "The Last Question," a short story by Isaac Asimov. It's a series of scenes of times in future-history where people have asked their computers, "how can entropy be reversed?" and the computers keep responding, "insufficient data for a meaningful answer." You can tell it was written in the 50s because all the computers have "AC" in their name (for "automatic computer," as in e.g. EDVAC).

Ramc
May 4, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

If you're referring to the discord screenshot, it's a reference to "The Last Question," a short story by Isaac Asimov. It's a series of scenes of times in future-history where people have asked their computers, "how can entropy be reversed?" and the computers keep responding, "insufficient data for a meaningful answer." You can tell it was written in the 50s because all the computers have "AC" in their name (for "automatic computer," as in e.g. EDVAC).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I just took a quick look at the book, my first real look, and the title looks like DECEPTION.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

"you're going to love being dead! The fringe benefits far outweigh the eternal rotting smell."
this is a quote I've been trying to find the origin of forever.

there was this old warcraft 3 custom game called FM Vampire Hunters. it was pretty good, one side was vampires and the other side was humans, it was the genesis for lots of cat and mouse style games that eventually got incredibly sophisticated. when the vampires killed a guy there would be an audio sting of someone saying "naughty... Naughty vampire" and the quote above would play. what's the quote from? I'm sure it's from something. would also like to know where the audio is from but that might just be stock from waredit.exe

Dota exploding but not FMVH is a travesty and if I had money to waste I'd put together a team and get the ball rolling. It was the best part of dota (ganking) pretty much streamlined. God it was good

I think the naughty vampire god quote is from blade so maybe that?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBYYQ6-yVr8

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ramc posted:

I asked the File770 people and they came through: http://file770.com/pixel-scroll-7-28-21-so-put-another-file-in-the-jukebox-baby/comment-page-1/#comment-1358136

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I am... free? What am I supposed to do with my evenings now?

(Author was the big word, and it was two lines? I never had a hope)

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Yeah, why am I disappointed it didn't take a little longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Screencaps for the sake of thread completeness:

Metaline posted:

Yeah, why am I disappointed it didn't take a little longer?

You've been conditioned by mystery-solving podcasts to expect a long winding journey before the big payoff :ssh: