Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Uthor posted:

I was watching my sister's kids one night and the only things on after they went to bed was a show on private security bunkers and a show on surviving a zombie uprising.

The bunker show was full of OSHA, like a hand rail hooked up to propane to barbecue intruders and a pyramid set on fire with a guy inside to prove it could withstand napalm or something.

The zombie show talked about proper wound care and finding potable water.

I think I remember the "guy inside a burning bunker pyramid" show. Guy made his money selling and building bunkers and was all "Yeah, by my firesafe pyramid so your family can cram into it and die of oxygen deprivation survive the fire when the Urban Hordes find your bunker and torch it." Dude couldn't even stay in there the entire time before the fire burned out on its own and had them extinguish it.

And yeah, one of their customers was a lady going "I had a dream of everything on fire, and that totally means civilization is going to collapse and I need to protect my family from all those city people burninating across the country side."

Wanna Judge Pet that catte!

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's this way with half-siblings. My half-brother has aunts and uncles I don't, and vice versa.

I had no idea this is how it works, my mind is legit blown.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Wanna Judge Pet that catte!

Buddy, they won't even let ME pet that catte.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

sigher posted:

I had no idea this is how it works, my mind is legit blown.

Are you serious? A half brother/sister is just someone who has the same mum/dad as you but a different dad/mum.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Maybe he thought it was like the brothers in Stuck On You

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

:laffo: I still can't get over how badly edited this is, right down to the metal "wrinkles" on the side

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Someone got an exciting new umbrella stand!

I can't be bothered to doublecheck that math but it scans right

lmao

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
really hope that's fake otherwise gonna get a sequel to Goiania!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Gotta be fake

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If that were real, anon would already be dead.

from gunshot wounds

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://i.imgur.com/0GgFYFc.mp4

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Better than the yeti

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

I do enjoy this little trip into the UK.

https://twitter.com/ScarredForLife2/status/1419954481236688910
(features music)

I want a video game like the one at 0:45 where every panicked turn of a steering wheel immediately leads to the next disaster you need to make another panicked turn to avoid.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Kibayasu posted:

I want a video game like the one at 0:45 where every panicked turn of a steering wheel immediately leads to the next disaster you need to make another panicked turn to avoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LK2KcUu6po&t=215s

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Kibayasu posted:

Have I good news for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvU18VY460Y

EDIT: Happy to be beaten.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

lmao that rules.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Are you serious? A half brother/sister is just someone who has the same mum/dad as you but a different dad/mum.

I didn’t know this either until I found out I had half-siblings. Wikipedia straightened that out pretty fast

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

knowing 4chan, it's fake but someone will die over it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I know about half brothers, but I thought that once you're related to someone their relatives fall under the regular terms you'd use for your own. I don't have cousins, half anythings, uncles aunts or what have you, my family consists of 2 people so I never really got familiar with terms used for larger families. I don't even know what the whole "cousin X removed" poo poo means.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

sigher posted:

I know about half brothers, but I thought that once you're related to someone their relatives fall under the regular terms you'd use for your own. I don't have cousins, half anythings, uncles aunts or what have you, my family consists of 2 people so I never really got familiar with terms used for larger families. I don't even know what the whole "cousin X removed" poo poo means.

It depends on the situation and personal preference, but realistically if I've never met someone, never will, and nobody ever mentions them, they're not family.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

sigher posted:

I don't even know what the whole "cousin X removed" poo poo means.

I don't think anyone does.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sigher posted:

X removed is the number of generations separating you. A first cousin once removed would be the child of a great aunt/uncle. They're a cousin, but equivalent to your parents' generation.

With large families with childrens' ages spanning 20 years or more, it doesn't take long for relatives the same age to be a couple generations apart. I knew a couple kids in school who were older than their uncles, for example.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The degree of “removal” is generations.

Your parent’s first cousin is your first cousin once removed. If they have a kid, that kid is a second cousin to you.

Your grandparent’s first cousins are your first cousins twice removed. If they have a kid, that’s your second cousin once removed.

It’s not complicated to remember; it just isn’t relevant to most people.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Kibayasu posted:

lmao that rules.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

sigher posted:

I don't even know what the whole "cousin X removed" poo poo means.

A cousin that would otherwise be an Xth cousin (1st, 2nd, 3rd), but is not of the same generation as you and is Y generations away, is an Xth cousin Yth removed.

Example 1: My mother's 1st cousin is my 1st cousin, once removed.

Example 2: My 1st cousin's child is also my 1st cousin, once removed.

Example 3: My father's 2nd cousin's father is my 2nd cousin, twice removed.

On that note, Xth cousins are people the X number of generations away from a set of common parents.

Example 4: My aunt and my father are 0 generations away from a set of common parents. They are sister and brother.

Example 5: My aunt's children and I are 1 generation away from a set of common parents (that is, my father and my aunt shared parents, 1 generation away). We are 1st cousins.

Example 6: My father's 1st cousins' children and I are 2 generations away from a set of common parents (specifically, my grandparents and their grandparents shared parents, 2 generations away). We are 2nd cousins.

...In practice, I call these people Aunt X and Uncle Y if they are of an earlier generation than me and by their first name if not.

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I don't think anyone does.

Lawyers have to learn this poo poo in wills & estates class and some of us can never forget it.

e;f,b x2 but I did mine from memory and y'all googled it.

Deteriorata posted:

With large families with childrens' ages spanning 20 years or more, it doesn't take long for relatives the same age to be a couple generations apart. I knew a couple kids in school who were older than their uncles, for example.

I heard about a mother and daughter in family law class who married two brothers. So Aunt/Grandmother and Uncle/Brother, etc...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Deteriorata posted:

My cousin is my mom's age, her daughter is about five years older than me, her kid is the same age as my eldest niece.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
my dad went on a genealogy binge when i was younger and people like that care too. no i don't want to wander around graveyards looking for that particular headstone

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What the gently caress is it with dads and genealogy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDdamDi6oes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My dad is super into saying we are irish because of our last name but he doesn't do any genealogy research because we all know it's not really all that true.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

cool thanks this was helpful, but which ones are safe to bang?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Darwin and Einstein both married their first cousins.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mister Speaker posted:

Everyone but you

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

devmd01 posted:

Just gonna drop this here given last page’s conversation, first video I ever uploaded to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ0OTqRwA2A

Getting brained by shrapnel would definitely explain sky shark's "Muslims are incompatible with Western civilization" post.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

McGavin posted:

Darwin and Einstein both married their first cousins.

My brother-in-law's wife's parents are first cousins. Apparently, marrying your cousin wasn't that big of a deal in Italy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

sigher posted:

As several walls of text on this page have shown, it's better if you don't.

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm partial to describing them as "cousins with numbers"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Prior to the industrial revolution, most people would grow up, get married, have children, and die within a 20 mile radius of where you were born. First cousins would be around the same age, were conveniently located, and would help keep property in the extended family. It was a fairly common practice the whole world over.

Also it turns out that children born from a first cousin pairing aren't any more likely to have genetic problems than those born from totally unrelated couples, as long as those cousins' parents weren't also cousins or more closely related.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Also sometimes your cousins are hot.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I stumbled on a stack overflow post a while back from a guy who had made some small time family tree plotting software where he'd represented things internally as a directed acyclic graph. That's nerd for "flow chart where nothing moves backwards and there are no loops."

Anyway, a customer filed a support ticket saying the software crashed every time he tried to add the daughter he'd had with his other daughter. The first answer, which was accepted by the OP as the proper solution, was "fire your customer."

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sagebrush posted:

Prior to the industrial revolution, most people would grow up, get married, have children, and die within a 20 mile radius of where you were born. First cousins would be around the same age, were conveniently located, and would help keep property in the extended family. It was a fairly common practice the whole world over.

Also it turns out that children born from a first cousin pairing aren't any more likely to have genetic problems than those born from totally unrelated couples, as long as those cousins' parents weren't also cousins or more closely related.

On an unrelated note, how are things going in Shelbyville?

Edit: drat, now Blue Footed Booby is in here posting some Chinatown poo poo.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Platystemon posted:

Don’t get drunk there on the clock and you’ll be fine.

Sounds like a crazy place.

I heard they are paying $20/hr this summer so maybe they finally care about their employees?? LOL LOL LOL