Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Moxley promo was strangely affecting, he was conveying so much rage and hurt. Normally it’s just being a badass but he seemed personally offended Tana dodged him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Golden Bee posted:

The Moxley promo was strangely affecting, he was conveying so much rage and hurt. Normally it’s just being a badass but he seemed personally offended Tana dodged him.

Am I the only one who felt heel energy in this? Maybe just because Tana is so pure.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MJeff posted:

Christian Cage and Orange Cassidy can both be heated up very quickly.

OC headlined the last PPV and Christian has been embroiled in the same midcard feud for two months (and I don't think he's ever really gotten a super hot reception from the fans since his debut, although my personal opinion might be influencing my outlook there). I don't doubt that you could produce an enjoyable angle with either one of them, but I imagine it's going to feel slight no matter what after giving the audience a lengthy taste of the biggest feud you could put together right now.

Pylons posted:

If he wrestles on every live show from now until All Out he might have a credible enough record to challenge the person in line in a #1 contender's match.

Yeah, I was wondering how adding Rampage to the mix would affect the cadence of the PPV build. Instead of having five shows before all out, you've got nine, and I had the same thought about just letting Hangman take on legit opponents on every single show to crawl back up to No. 1. Basically, the babyface version of Britt farming wins on Dark/Elevation

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

El Generico posted:

Wrestlemania XXX felt worth it to me, even though it was completely unintentional.

And there was much more fear there that Bryan would lose

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

El Generico posted:

Wrestlemania XXX felt worth it to me, even though it was completely unintentional.

It only felt 'worth it' to me because it was unintentional.
And it taught me WWE was otherwise beyond hope. Which was a very important lesson.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

El Generico posted:

Am I the only one who felt heel energy in this? Maybe just because Tana is so pure.

There was more bitterness than usual, and he was drinking from a flask which is new.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

I was explaining the Summerslam 2010 "John Cena and His Team of Stupid Idiots vs. The Nexus" elimination match in the context of tonight's elimination match and was struck by how many people from that PPV card (nearly 11 years ago!) are still around in wrestling 11 years later:

When I think about AEW, especially recently for obvious reasons, I think about this picture a lot:

They took this picture to hype up the idea of the next generation of WWE superstars they were grooming for the company's future, and then they crushed all of them and the last one standing got paid with a gold watch reign almost a decade later before being relegated right back to the midcard, and wound up creating a future for wrestling that existed entirely outside the WWE.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1420623695727431685

Maaaaaan.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

AEW is good.

My pet theory in all of this is that Page doesn't win the belt until he officially joins Dark Order.

So basically the hand thing the other poster was talking about.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I feel like if Punk/Danielson weren't signed, that Dark Order would be a sure win. But with two of the biggest signings in the company before a big PPV this obviously changes the flow.

I'm bored so I'm going to make a prediction on how this will play out.

I think Kenny will gloat and have an open challenge for All Out for the AEW title except for Hangman. The person who calls it will be, obviously, Bryan Danielson. Hangman got Omega worried but Danielson scares him shitless for the next few Dynamites. The All Out match will have Danielson having the upper hand in the match most of the time with a couple of near-pins. Kenny just loses it and DQ's Bryan. I understand DQ finishes suck but I feel like one to progress the story is fine. This will lead to more stress and paranoia for Kenny as all of a sudden his self-proclaimed title for being the best in AEW is legitimately threatened with the exposure of Punk/Bryan. Hangman notices this and manipulates his ego to weaken him and to do things like lash out at Bucks and the Good Brothers that will eventually sever his trust. All that will be left is him and Don. On the other side, Hangman goes apeshit getting win after win on practically every show to climb to the top. Eventually he gets back out there and he gets to face Kenny, alone and weakened. He will win the title at Full Gear, the PPV technically named after him.

But Tony does what the gently caress Tony does and that makes the number go up so stay the course.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Waffleopolis posted:

I think Kenny will gloat and have an open challenge for All Out for the AEW title except for Hangman. The person who calls it will be, obviously, Bryan Danielson. Hangman got Omega worried but Danielson scares him shitless for the next few Dynamites.

I like where your head is at but consider this: Hangman wins his way into the main event to make it a triple threat

DB: "hey I've seen this one"

"..."

"wait"

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

i am finally watching dynamite and am only as far as the introductions for the first match, and this is already the best show i've ever seen

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
that was a pretty okay death match. wasn’t upset about it.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I get why people think Hangman's chase for the title is over because of the stipulations for the 5v5 match but I have more than enough faith that they will book around it. This isn't WWE where Dark Order would be broken up the following week with no plan in sight and Hangman would be relegated to feuding with QT Marshall or whoever

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shard posted:

I think the Christian match happens before the PPV and they still go with Hangman. Another reason this loss is different for Hangman - all his big hangups were loses he just lost legit. Jericho, FTR, Omega in the finals. They were just better than him. Tonight was he got hosed over by the uber cheaters.
See, I think this is the wrong takeaway. The revelation of Page's character arc should be "its ok to lose." Not "its ok to lose if the other guy cheated so its not really a fair loss." But "its ok to lose against someone who just beat you." Failure is ok. Its in the intro. But Page has never picked himself up after a loss and dusted himself off. The last time he lost he said "you cheated, fight me fair" and won. To me this is the moment. Page didn't get cheated and he didn't get screwed.. well beyond the usual. He agreed to the match and knew the players and their tactics and the odds went against him. He knew what he was doing, or should have. He's probably angry and he's probably disappointed so when people ask "what's next?" that's a question for him,

He shouldn't get drunk. He shouldn't push his friends away. He should call himself a loser. He should say "I lost, its ok, I'll be back and I'll learn from this." And that will probably enrage Omega and maybe turn the tables on his manipulations so he gives Page a title shot. Or Page will win an eliminator tourney or something to get another shot. But the story was always that Page couldn't handle failure. So now he's failed, and when he handles it he'll have completed his hero's journey and beat Omega for the title. Not because he needs a victory to feel good about himself, but just because he was the better man that day.

Personally, I'm actually more hyped for Page right now than I've ever been. I think he looked great in that match and I'm excited to see his character overcome this. Its what I've been waiting for.

edit: And personally I HATE the booking of one guy beating the world and tag champs 3 on 1. That's very John Cena. So I love that Page took everything they have twice, pinned one of them, drat near got it down to 1 on 1, and just ended up succumbing to 3 of the best wrestlers in the company and a weapon. He looked like a million bucks to me without half of the company's champions having to lose for it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 29, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

how come ppl think hangman can't challenge for the belt? he lost a match where if he won he had a title shot and if he lost he would lose the title shot. it doesn't mean he can't get one

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Cavauro posted:

how come ppl think hangman can't challenge for the belt? he lost a match where if he won he had a title shot and if he lost he would lose the title shot. it doesn't mean he can't get one

I think the question is whether he'll still challenge for the belt at All Out or if he'll have to wait slightly longer to get back up to the top, or maybe even longer than that. Other people might think the thing you said though, in which case, sorry for not answering your question

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Still watching the show here but holy poo poo can someone with the skills and means gif basically all of Taz’s reactions during the FTW celebration thank you very much in advance

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

KungFu Grip posted:

Dark on Dynamite and Elevation on Rampage or vice versa is what i feel like aew might do, hopefully they dont just extending the dark and elevation tapings too much

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tony Kahn talked about this in an interview. Rampage tapings will take place in Dark's current spot of before Dynamite, pushing Dark tapings to an undetermined time and place. Thinking about it, that probably means something like Impact where they record a months worth of matches over one or two days.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm going to steal Cavauro's thing and say the babyface professional wrestler should not have a storyline where the moral is "It's OK to lose." Seems like "I don't need to doubt myself, because I'm a strong rear end kicking guy with friends" would connect with an audience better than "The outcome of my matches is unimportant. We're all just having a good time out here"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Other people might think the thing you said though, in which case, sorry for not answering your question
yep

xbilkis posted:

I'm going to steal Cavauro's thing
uh oh some body stoled my dick. hahahaha

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

please giv cav his dick back you know how he gets

nick gage stabbed chris jericho in the head with a light tube on television

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Critical posted:

nick gage stabbed chris jericho in the head with a light tube on television

Repeatedly!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I can't believe AEW is going to try to sell out a 23,500 seat arena based on the rumor of CM Punk being there....

Guess I need to see if I can sell my Dynamite and rampage combo tickets for All Out weekend and snag a ticket for The First Dance

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

xbilkis posted:

I'm going to steal Cavauro's thing and say the babyface professional wrestler should not have a storyline where the moral is "It's OK to lose."

Yeah this is the sort of story you'd tell for the wrestler in that Dril tweet. Loser gently caress-face nerd or whatever

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Waffleopolis posted:

I think Kenny will gloat and have an open challenge for All Out for the AEW title except for Hangman. The person who calls it will be, obviously, Bryan Danielson. Hangman got Omega worried but Danielson scares him shitless for the next few Dynamites. The All Out match will have Danielson having the upper hand in the match most of the time with a couple of near-pins. Kenny just loses it and DQ's Bryan. I understand DQ finishes suck but I feel like one to progress the story is fine. This will lead to more stress and paranoia for Kenny as all of a sudden his self-proclaimed title for being the best in AEW is legitimately threatened with the exposure of Punk/Bryan. Hangman notices this and manipulates his ego to weaken him and to do things like lash out at Bucks and the Good Brothers that will eventually sever his trust. All that will be left is him and Don. On the other side, Hangman goes apeshit getting win after win on practically every show to climb to the top. Eventually he gets back out there and he gets to face Kenny, alone and weakened. He will win the title at Full Gear, the PPV technically named after him.

I've been thinking for the last while that Danielson is the natural opponent for Kenny but that Punk is actually a better fit as an opponent for Hangman, so my bet is that Hangman is still going to get that shot at All Out, still going to win the belt against all odds, and then Punk does a Moxley, and that leaves Kenny open to feud with the American Dragon when he debuts a couple weeks later, which IS the current rumor.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Said it before, but I don't think Tony is going to book Punk or Bryan into the title scene immediately. Punk should take up Darby's blunt challenge and work off the rust with a maniac who bumps like a hell. I don't know exactly where Bryan would fit in, maybe going after Kenny after Omega drops the belt, but there's options abound.

Undoing the two-year Hangman storyline right before its obvious climax just to throw a new hire into a belt is some WWE brainworms booking.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

it's kind of incredible that AEW casually but explicitly said they have CM Punk and he's showing up in a month and that's not even the main thing everyone is talking about

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

GrimGypsy posted:

it's kind of incredible that AEW casually but explicitly said they have CM Punk and he's showing up in a month and that's not even the main thing everyone is talking about

I personally am in cautious optimism mode just because poo poo can happen between now and then. Honestly, despite AEW being great since they started, there's that funny feelin' due to being burned by WWE before that's hard to shake.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Evil Badman posted:

I personally am in cautious optimism mode just because poo poo can happen between now and then. Honestly, despite AEW being great since they started, there's that funny feelin' due to being burned by WWE before that's hard to shake.

If there's one thing WWE did in the past 20 years since WCW fell it was to poison the wrestling well.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just watched the show. Putting Gage in the fuckin main event was a Tony Khan idea, right

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

GrimGypsy posted:

Punk discourse was pumped dry last week. Until he actually shows up and starts doing stuff there's not much left to say.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

xbilkis posted:

I'm going to steal Cavauro's thing and say the babyface professional wrestler should not have a storyline where the moral is "It's OK to lose." Seems like "I don't need to doubt myself, because I'm a strong rear end kicking guy with friends" would connect with an audience better than "The outcome of my matches is unimportant. We're all just having a good time out here"

this isn't the story or lesson that was told at all from tonight, this match broke everyone's brains. it will all be fine, why on earth are people this worried

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I get why people think Hangman's chase for the title is over because of the stipulations for the 5v5 match but I have more than enough faith that they will book around it. This isn't WWE where Dark Order would be broken up the following week with no plan in sight and Hangman would be relegated to feuding with QT Marshall or whoever

The only thing I really worry about is that a bunch of people are conditioned to expect that kind of bullshit and may check out before they get to see the payoff.

It's a fine line to walk, but I think they can pull it off based on their track record. I do wonder if other people might not be so patient. But that might just be me being a broke brained weirdo that finds stuff to fret about in everything.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Miro.

He might not be the best promo in the company

But he would be in most others.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

a cyborg mug posted:

Just watched the show. Putting Gage in the fuckin main event was a Tony Khan idea, right

So he sez
Q: How did this Chris Jericho-Nick Gage no-rules match come together?

A: I was working on it with Max (MJF) before Chris, the Five Labours of Jericho and I thought Nick Gage would be an excellent Labour of Jericho and a great opponent for Chris, very different from the first opponent (Shawn Spears).

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I honestly think if they go that route, it'll be "every failure is a chance to learn that makes me stronger and I'm a badass so I'll just kick everyone's rear end until they have to give me another title shot so I'm not gonna cry about it I'm just gonna get right back on that horse because that's what cowboys do big yeehaw", not "wins and losses don't matter I'm John Cena lol"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

Lighting the dang fuse... Woah, Gage is main eventing? Holy crap.

1) 10 man tag: The Elite vs Hangman and the Dark Order. poo poo, this video absolutely goes. Hangman's Dark Cowboy gear absolutely rules. Don's shorts are something else. This is so stupid. The match itself is exactly the chaos one would expect of a 10 man tag with teams this good. Karl Anderson getting carried away and lariating his partner was great. The crowd quiet down a little during the lull in action, but still every time a move hits it's echoed by the crowd. Holy poo poo, Stu Grayson can do absolutely insane stuff. Sky twister press! Jeez, Grayson hit the ground hard there. Amazing barrier dive. This is an amazing opener. The match does lose steam during the break. And we're left with an injured Hangman vs Kenny and the Bucks. Perfect. Triple superkick but Hangman is still in it. This is great, but towards the end I'm starting to flag. Belt shot for a TWO! They're keeping something back, and with a one winged angel, Hangman... loses. drat. He looked incredible here and lost only at the last.

PAC interviewed, Andrade and Chavo interfere. Nice.

FTW celebration. This is a little rough. They should have put the jazz band on the ramp. Ricky gives roses to Hook. We all want to. Great promo from Starks, interrupted by Cage taking out the two jazz band guys who are obviously wrestlers.

TANAHASHI! Tanahashi is challenging Archer for the US title. Awesome.

2) FTR vs P&P. This is such incredible Big Fight Feel. poo poo, Santana is over as gently caress. Match is a little slow to start, but they slowly bring the heat. This is a good match, but the ending just felt weird. Not quite what I was hoping for.

I'll be honest, "AEW have a show in Chicago" isn't... actually that big news? Maybe I'm missing something.

3) Hikuleo vs Lance Archer. And Hikuleo has Haku with him! Lance Archer is over as gently caress btw. Hikuleo is still a little slow, but he's a lot less puppydog than he used to be. Beautiful powerslam. We get some pretty good solid back and forth, but again it could really use some speed. The crowd is getting restless. Archer brings them back with the rope walk moonsault. Archer wins as expected. This was fine, but not as great as it could be.

Cody starts to give a Cody Promo and Malachi Black murders him then throws the corpse on the stage. Nice. Fuego and Dante save Cody. Malachi kills Fuego making him the biggest heel in the business.

Miro promo. He's prophesying Lee Johnson's death. And he and Lana gently caress.

4) Private Party and Angelico vs Jurassic Express and Christian Cage. This match took just long enough for me to make a cup of coffee and two slices of toast. It was pretty good. Blade attacks Cage post match.

5) Julia Hart vs Thunder Rosa. Julia is popular. Thunder Rosa is OVER. It's a bit of a clumsy match to start. Julia needs to fix her run a bit. She tends to scurry. Rosa carried this to a watchable match.

Next week's card seems a little lacklustre.

Mox promo.

6) Chris Jericho vs Nick Gage. Painmaker in full effect. Good job on Gage's intro, Justin. My earnest hope is for Gage to murder MJF post bell. They're doing this as intense and hardcore rather than deathmatch, and that works. This isn't a technical masterpiece, but it has great intensity. Oh gently caress, light tubes. And then we get nasty. This is gruesome, but it's gruesome in a clever way. It looks much more violent than it is. Very well done for maximising the appearance of damage over actual damage.

Oh poo poo. THEY'RE BRINGING BACK JUVI!

This was a good show, trending towards great.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hangman is going to realize he needs to call on an old friend who used to be in the same club as him, knows how to use the same tricks as the Elite, and also has a problem with Kenny.

That's right, face Jay White in AEW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It's basically this.

Kenny Omega is Freiza.

After Goku(Hangman), together with help from Piccolo(The Dark Order) goaded him into a match(last week), he revealed his final true form and was too powerful for all of them(this week). As last ditch effort Goku used the Spirit Bomb(friendship) and barely defeated Frieza, or so he though but Frieza was still alive. A bunch of minor characters were then killed off, including Krillin(John Silver). Goku got so angry he went Super Saiyan(All Out), and began to outfight Frieza. His power level was off the charts(everything post All Out). Then Frieza decided if he couldn't win nobody could(scorched earth campaign), and threw his most powerful blast at the planet Namek(One Winged Angel), ensuring its destruction because Frieza can breath in space and Goku could not. Goku continued to defeat him though, and Frieza decided to unleash his full 100% power(Full Gear). Gan Goku the Super Saiyan defeat Frieza and save the planet Namek?

History tells us yes.