Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

SimonChris posted:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2006/05/15/the-perfect-mark

I am reminded of this old New Yorker article about psychoterapist who fell for a textbook 419 scam, even though he was supposed to be an expert in self-knowledge and introspection. The best mark is someone who believes they are too smart to be fooled.

Jesus this mark was so... Petty.

Not that I'm willing to admit that I think I'm immune to that kind of scam. I know I am!

I may not actually know that I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
the true immunity to scams isn't being too smart or aware of them, it's being pathologically incapable of doing anything. if i got a scam email or phone call, i would simply not bother looking or answering. exactly the same as all non-scam emails or phone calls.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Turpitude II posted:

the true immunity to scams isn't being too smart or aware of them, it's being pathologically incapable of doing anything. if i got a scam email or phone call, i would simply not bother looking or answering. exactly the same as all non-scam emails or phone calls.

Social anxiety isn't all downsides!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Every now and then I fool myself into thinking I've blocked all the outrage miners who are Extremely Mad about their childhood cartoons not being the same, but sure enough one pops up I can always miss. In this case I can recommend blocking The Critical Drinker, a Scotsman who sounds like he's always constipated and thinks everything is the worst betrayal since The Last Jedi.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I went and looked and for a guy calling himself "the critical drinker" he has reviewed very few fine whiskies.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Bring back DrinksAhoy imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This was the best liquor review show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf_w9MI77DM

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of annoying that criticism of the Netflix Masters of the Universe gets lumped in with the chud culture war garbage because it just isn't very good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How is that annoying, that’s just life at this point

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The chuds are there to teach you lifes most important lesson: its okay not to like a kids cartoon but you're going to look like a weirdo if you get mad about it on social media.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

muscles like this! posted:

It's kind of annoying that criticism of the Netflix Masters of the Universe gets lumped in with the chud culture war garbage because it just isn't very good.

I think its something that companies are deliberating doing now. Make a bad movie/tv show/whatever and emphasize how woke it is. lovely and dumb people will take the bait, and suddenly anybody who criticizes the media is a horrible human being. You even get people saying its good out of spite.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

It's easy to not care about the shouty youtube men.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Smart people universally are the best marks

I’ll never be scammed then because I’m dumb as hell

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think its something that companies are deliberating doing now. Make a bad movie/tv show/whatever and emphasize how woke it is. lovely and dumb people will take the bait, and suddenly anybody who criticizes the media is a horrible human being. You even get people saying its good out of spite.
...no I don't think people get together and say "haha we're going to make a bad cartoon on purpose lol", sorry

well except for xavier renegade angel but that's why it was cool

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The 7th Guest posted:

...no I don't think people get together and say "haha we're going to make a bad cartoon on purpose lol", sorry

No, I don't think its made bad on purpose. I think its just how the product ends up turning out to be in the end. Its just a good way to counter bad reviews.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Srice posted:

It's easy to not care

The true lesson of the culture war

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The 7th Guest posted:

I wouldn't even say XRA was made bad on purpose. It's intentionally offputting but I'd never say it was done poorly. For something to be done poorly it needs to fail either despite trying and not working out or the creators just not giving a poo poo. I never got the feeling that XRA was being lazy.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Xavier: Renegade Angel is a show I binged in a day, and I absolutely should not have.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Solitair posted:

Xavier: Renegade Angel is a show I binged in a day, and I absolutely should not have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqfVd1s5E_o

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

IShallRiseAgain posted:

No, I don't think its made bad on purpose. I think its just how the product ends up turning out to be in the end. Its just a good way to counter bad reviews.

Yeah, you're always shooting for a good product. But sometimes you end up with a bad (or just mediocre) product. And when that happens, you need to Ghostbusters 2016 it up so you can grab this kind of support.

The whole article a nearly-unbelievable mess, but I'll just quote their 12 points here to save you a Buzzfeed click:

quote:

12 Ways You Can Support The New "Ghostbusters" Movie Against The Hate Campaign

1. Go see the drat movie.
2. Go see it multiple times if you have the means.
3. Bring your friends.
4. Make that theater as rowdy and supportive as a bunch of drunk girls in a bar bathroom, aka the pinnacle of supportive funtimes.
5. Rewatch the entire Melissa McCarthy/Paul Feig filmography.
6. Tweet happy thoughts.
7. Make a hashtag to counteract the hatred.
8. Remind people that Donald Trump also publicly maligned the women-led Ghostbusters.
9. Don't be afraid to mute people.
10. Get your cosplay on and turn the 2016 Ghostbusters fandom into one to be reckoned with
11. Give in to the pressures of capitalism and buy the poo poo out of the merch and tie-in foodstuff.
12. Lay waste to their childhoods with your joy. Dance through all the male tears.

Dance through all the male tears, while surrounded by all of the Ghostbusters 2016 merch you can afford to purchase. You really showed them!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-q8hhivtEk

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, you're always shooting for a good product. But sometimes you end up with a bad (or just mediocre) product. And when that happens, you need to Ghostbusters 2016 it up so you can grab this kind of support.

The whole article a nearly-unbelievable mess, but I'll just quote their 12 points here to save you a Buzzfeed click:

Dance through all the male tears, while surrounded by all of the Ghostbusters 2016 merch you can afford to purchase. You really showed them!

Flashbacks to James Rolfe's chill vid on why he's not going to see the new Ghostbusters, followed by people losing their poo poo at him.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

#4: “Promote the movie by acting like a loud drunk jackass in the theater and ruining it for everyone who’s trying to watch it.”

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Archer666 posted:

Flashbacks to James Rolfe's chill vid on why he's not going to see the new Ghostbusters, followed by people losing their poo poo at him.

It's incredible how people lumped him in with the misogynist psychos when he said "I don't think I can give it a fair shake because I don't think anything could live up to the original".

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's incredible how people lumped him in with the misogynist psychos when he said "I don't think I can give it a fair shake because I don't think anything could live up to the original".

The all-consuming culture war is real.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

LanceHunter posted:

. And when that happens, you need to Ghostbusters 2016 it up

Please explain what this means, because all I see is some people agreeing with misogynist with these takes. Making it about someone's identity is a right-wing talking point, which happened after the female led crew got excited about having a female led crew.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Davis on Pillars of Eternity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQLwdAQy3j8

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Srice posted:

It's easy to not care about the shouty youtube men.

No, they've killed discourse. Now you can't dislike anything without also being linked to them despite them being a small minority in every example. It's over, they've won.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah the discourse isn't ruined, we just don't want to hear anyone's Last Jedi takes anymore because it's 4 years old now and it's loving boring to read.

it's time for Green Knight, Pig and Suicide Squad hot takes now

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah the discourse isn't ruined, we just don't want to hear anyone's Last Jedi takes anymore because it's 4 years old now and it's loving boring to read.

Or Black Widow:

Edit: Removed hyper-long podcast

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 29, 2021

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

No-one here is gonna sit through that poo poo. Come on.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

bushisms.txt posted:

Please explain what this means, because all I see is some people agreeing with misogynist with these takes. Making it about someone's identity is a right-wing talking point, which happened after the female led crew got excited about having a female led crew.
There was deffo a misogynist backlash agsinst Ghostbusters 2016 but its also fair to say that Sony leant into it in order to create a narrative that watching their mediocre comedy movie was some act of Woke rebellion.

The chuds are part of the whole marketing apperatus now. I don't think they made a bad He man show on purpose (they made a he man show that just happens naturally) but I bet if it was made even 5 years ago 'we'll kill off He Man in the first episode and have Teela be the main character' would have been stamped out by the studio instantly. Nowadays they can see the incredibly predictable shitstorm ready to drive engagement up up up into the stratosphere!

Everyone in charge of greenlighting these shows is just as deranged as the people who did the originals in the 80s to hock action figures. They're just as craven and mercenary just in new and exciting ways.

And as ever creatives get stuck in the middle and get sent death threats over the new size of sheras boobs or whatever.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuaU12cmB_g

Top Hat takes a look at the craziness of fan made Russian Streets of Rage fan games. And holy balls do they get crazy in a very bad way :stonk:

The trend of making videos talking about a movie, that are longer than the actual movie, never ceases to amuse me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Meanwhile ThorHighHeels covers weird Japan-only DS games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA5QJ4YS6wc

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also it had been made clear by that point that it had no direct links to the original so James also had no interest that way, and I'm sure somebody will come at him with "WHY ARE YOU SEEING THIS ONE!?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Or Black Widow:

Edit: Removed hyper-long podcast

Nah, you should've left it up and reminded everyone that those are the same chuckleheads that made that 12 hour long video about Jenny Nicholson's Joker video lmao

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think people assumed because he released a video titled "No Review. I refuse" that he was taking some sort of chuddy stance and didn't look beyond the clickbaity title. And I can only assume he titled it that for engagement purposes (given he's been doing this poo poo longer than anyone), so I guess it mostly did the job.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is staggering how many obstinately progressive harassment campaigns are started by people just reading the title of something and assuming it's enough justification for going after someone.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Man if Green Knight discourse online could get even a fraction of the takes that Last Jedi got I'd be ecstatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

does channel 5 count as an online creator, because Andrew Callaghan's video on that patriot conference was loving insane. it's also highly upsetting (considering the subject), so I dunno about linking it. but some of the conspiracies man

there's a conspiracy about Prince and the lead singer of Linkin Park. nothing is off the table in 2021