Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apparently executive dysfunction is being reported more and more as a possible side effect of long covid. Which is interesting because it does make me wonder if now that normal people are being affected by it, drug companies might be motivated to make a drug that doesn't completely gently caress your heart.

I've been feeling the same and know I've never had covid (monthly antibody tests as part of as ONS study). it's just the pandemic loving everyone up, most of us are not equipped to cope with all this isolation.

And making drugs that interact with the brain/central nervous system is hard, that's why all the current ones have lovely side effects - we have no real clue what we're doing and throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. See - 30 years of Big Pharma trying and failing to make an Alzheimers drug. If they could make mental drugs that didn't gently caress you over with side effects easily, they'd already be doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apparently executive dysfunction is being reported more and more as a possible side effect of long covid. Which is interesting because it does make me wonder if now that normal people are being affected by it, drug companies might be motivated to make a drug that doesn't completely gently caress your heart.

*puts tin foil hat on*

Aha, so the global depopulation theory gains traction

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nothingtoseehere posted:

. If they could make mental drugs that didn't gently caress you over with side effects easily, they'd already be doing it.

LSD and low dose MDMA already exist

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a reason that the Brits banned the entire of Shulgin's PiHKAL without really bothering to read it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Osmand will do turn-by-turn navigation with them.
Remember the safest place to ride is down the middle of the road.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Make, not harvest from plants without understanding how they work. They do, but we don't understand why well enough to reverse engineer natures bounty to target things we want.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Both of those drugs are wholly synthetic tho

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also we don't even properly know how paracetamol works, only that it seems to when tested.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

Both of those drugs are wholly synthetic tho

Ehh kinda, they can be but it's probably a simpler synthesis using ergotamine or safrole, and I don't know if there's any practical examples of taking a wholly synthetic approach for either except as a proof of concept (?). Might be unaware

Ergot, though, is a fungus and not a plant.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Thanks for the recommendations all. I've downloaded Komoot and it seems pretty decent. Don't know if I'll bother with real time navigation for a while. I'm wobbly and inexpert enough on the bike already without squinting at a phone at the same time.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

I dunno feeling like your face is melting and being compelled to chainsmoke and listen to autechre seems like a pretty big side effect to me.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I was listening to Autchere last night lol

They're so good

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ehh kinda, they can be but it's probably a simpler synthesis using ergotamine or safrole, and I don't know if there's any practical examples of taking a wholly synthetic approach for either except as a proof of concept (?). Might be unaware
There were some attempts after the mass seizures of safrole in Cambodia in the late 00s. Some started with piperine from pepper, but it was broken down to piperonal first and then built back up, so how far can you go while still calling it semi-synthetic without getting into "Britain made acetone from chestnuts during WWI" territory?

At one point iirc China developed a wholly synthetic ester that could be broken straight down into a precursor as a response to all this, but no idea what happened with that.

Then mephedrone and methylone replaced the whole lot for a couple of years.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Speaking of dangerous drugs, Why on earth did BK think burger-roulette was a good marketing campaign? I get daily emails about it, and I'm petrified of what I would get. The poor loves have enough trouble getting things right under the best of conditions.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Trickjaw posted:

Speaking of dangerous drugs, Why on earth did BK think burger-roulette was a good marketing campaign? I get daily emails about it, and I'm petrified of what I would get. The poor loves have enough trouble getting things right under the best of conditions.

You can't modify the order at all which would save them a lot of prep time, and it's probably not really going to be a roulette, it's going to give you whatever burger they were selling the least. This is probably the future of all orders, capitalism loves innovation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Some places call it "the purge" or "festival" or "the cleansing", others just call it "may contain nuts".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

I dunno feeling like your face is melting and being compelled to chainsmoke and listen to autechre seems like a pretty big side effect to me.

Yeah, an awesome one

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Are lootboxes becoming a thing in food now? Brilliant

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If I ever had the cash to move to somewhere spacious in the countryside I reckon I'd try my hand at growing sassafras and doing some distilling because why the hell not at that stage

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

You can't modify the order at all which would save them a lot of prep time, and it's probably not really going to be a roulette, it's going to give you whatever burger they were selling the least. This is probably the future of all orders, capitalism loves innovation.

A rotating question block from Mario, but everytime you hit it a 3-hour old , dessicated filet-o-fish pops out

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

it really saddens me to hear about people struggling with mental health throughout lockdown, between not needing to travel to an office more than 1 day a week, saving money on car and fuel maintenance and just generally having it acceptable to sit in your house I've felt happier over the past 18 months than at any time in the past, i've managed to cut out weed and smoking and have lost a stone from simply diet changes

For me it's weird. Like I'm an introvert, so for the most part it's been fine.

But after a while I've felt a bit listless due to lack of minimal interaction.

The isolation also has it's drawbacks. In a team environment, like at work, there's now more situations where you're left alone with your thoughts. Which is where a lot of my recent anxiety has come from.

If something goes wrong then as a unit you're all in it together working on the solution side by side usually. There's often words of support said to each other etc. Introvert or not, that's still reassuring.

While there's an element of that remotely, once you jump off the teams call, you're on your own just stewing with what's happening. Sure you can do slack messages, but it's not the same.

Basically, having others around you can actually be a calming environment. Working alone in a remote office can leave you with a lot of thoughts running through your head.

Thoughts that aren't broken by the physical shift from office to home because your home now is your office.

Edit: clarified my words a bit.

Kin fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 29, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Also we don't even properly know how paracetamol works, only that it seems to when tested.

read the book of revelation my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! educate yourself and prepare for the IMMINENT RAPTURE lkajsfkd WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP :holy:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jakabite posted:

Are lootboxes becoming a thing in food now? Brilliant

Too Good To Go is a genuinely great app for scoring really cheap food

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Kin posted:

Basically, having others around you can actually be a calming environment. Working alone in a remote office can leave you with a lot of thoughts running through your head.

I've started playing unobtrusive background sounds throuout the day if I'm having trouble focusing in situations like this. Going on youtube and sticking on those 'ambient library/coffee shop 10+ hour' videos and tricking myself into believing that i'm not sat in a silent room on my own.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah I've been using that occasionally. For the amount of pre-prepared food you get for a few quid it's pretty great.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

read the book of revelation my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! educate yourself and prepare for the IMMINENT RAPTURE lkajsfkd WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP :holy:
I wonder how Western history would have turned out differently if Revelation had been consigned to the Apocrypha along with all those "I saw an angel and it was a watching angel and it watched me on the toilet" ones.

One of the earlier Catholic arguments for keeping the Bible out of common language was that if people read that book without context (decided by them) they'd get some funny ideas, but they were not exactly wrong.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If we followed the Bible's ethos we'd be murderous psychopaths smiting people left and right for minor indiscretions. Also this would make us the good guys.

Hang on...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or we'd slap the poo poo out of payday lenders with a leather belt and give the rest of our clothes to the poor. Maybe both!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Yeah this is true - Chinese buffets are the best ime

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I've started playing unobtrusive background sounds throuout the day if I'm having trouble focusing in situations like this. Going on youtube and sticking on those 'ambient library/coffee shop 10+ hour' videos and tricking myself into believing that i'm not sat in a silent room on my own.
https://mynoise.net is the absolute best for this

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I would use to good to go more often but everything seems to be sold out every time in in the app.

Back when I was one of the first users though, it was amazing. Two massive trays of sushi for £2.50? I'll take that.

Edit: as for the burger king thing, I like all the options that you could get so I think I would be happy to score a cheap random burger.

Tsietisin fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 29, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My wife has been using this pretty regularly, although she did one from Morrisons a week or so ago and got 5 loaves of bread and a packet of bacon.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Leviticus gets a bad rap but this seems like a pretty good rule.

"the foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born” (19:33-34)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

i prefer a spaceship

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

If it's not work i find Twitch a decent alternative when i'm feeling closed in.

They might be in NZ or wherever but you can usually see a live human and while only they can talk while you type (if you want to communicate) it works well enough.

edit: cause me type hard find :bravo:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 29, 2021

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
+1 for introverts who were having fun to a point but it got a bit much, in fact I had a breakdown in October but I've been doing ok in therapy. Finding a way to keep myself organised and moving had been the thing, I took up bullet journalling and it's honestly saved me. Plus making time to get our and see people where is been safe, been meeting up with friends, and my bubble helps

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
really though, i like a quiet room by myself. it's probably not considered healthy but being shut away in the quiet with something interesting to do is frankly my ideal

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Well that's a £4 pan-Asian buffet for lunch sorted, & a £3 mystery bag from Spar for the evening. Also I am all over that burger roulette, the only advertising misfire was not telling me about it.

Leviticus gets a bad rap but this seems like a pretty good rule.

"the foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born” (19:33-34)
Ah, this explains why Israel keeps that loving big wall up. Can't be treated as native-born if they don't reside among you!

(no antisomo, Israel is the only nation it could apply to since Leviticus explicitly doesn't apply to gentiles, canonically, according to both Christianity and Judaism. All those homophobes that pretend otherwise are loving idiots)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do protestants have a canon? I thought that was half the point.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder how Western history would have turned out differently if Revelation had been consigned to the Apocrypha along with all those "I saw an angel and it was a watching angel and it watched me on the toilet" ones.

One of the earlier Catholic arguments for keeping the Bible out of common language was that if people read that book without context (decided by them) they'd get some funny ideas, but they were not exactly wrong.

I bought "The Pursuit of the Millenium" during second lockdown thinking its tales of hardy peasants driven to distraction by biblical apocrypha would be an amusing diversion, but all the stories about crackpot monks using natural-disaster-x to whip up a murder mob quickly became depressingly real and I had to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

OwlFancier posted:

Do protestants have a canon?

(As I'm sure you may guess, the real answer is often "yes, far more than others sometimes, but it isn't called that so please stop calling it that")