Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lamuella posted:

I'll be honest, "AEW have a show in Chicago" isn't... actually that big news? Maybe I'm missing something.

The show is at United Center, which is basically twice the capacity of the building they're using for the actual PPV. Something big is happening there, and the obvious guess is CM Punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Evil Badman posted:

Said it before, but I don't think Tony is going to book Punk or Bryan into the title scene immediately. Punk should take up Darby's blunt challenge and work off the rust with a maniac who bumps like a hell. I don't know exactly where Bryan would fit in, maybe going after Kenny after Omega drops the belt, but there's options abound.

Undoing the two-year Hangman storyline right before its obvious climax just to throw a new hire into a belt is some WWE brainworms booking.

Yeah, I agree, I'd be stunned if Omega/Hangman didn't main event All Out. Assuming this August 20th show is when Punk would show up, I just can't see Tony trying to force Punk into the title scene on two weeks of build just to pop a PPV buy rate. Especially since Tony has said in the past that AEW is a TV-first company, I believe. Punk vs. Darby seems like the logical choice for the reasons you said plus it means you won't have Punk in the main event just in case the match flops. And for the same TV-first reasons, I'd also be shocked if Bryan showed up before that Arthur Ashe show.

I mean, what is the alternative anyways? Omega vs. Darby is the only thing I can think of. I love Christian Cage, but Omega vs. Christian screams of TV Special main event. No Mox rematch. Archer's busy. Maybe run back Orange Cassidy, but idk. Kingston is an option too I guess.

But I just can't see them not doing Omega/Hangman. Considering All Out is their first PPV outside of Daily's Place, I don't think they send the crowd home with a heel winning (presumably with some Elite bullshit), even if they got their feel good moment at DoN with Inner Circle winning. Unless they just want to do the match at Arthur Ashe in front of a larger crowd.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah.

One of the nice things about AEW is that so far they've not really swerved where they don't have to.

Omega is dropping him belt to Hangman. We know this. Enjoy the story, trust the storyteller.

Also, everyone wanting Omega/Hangman was one of the talking points for commentary during the match. Tony Knows.

Seams posted:

It's basically this.

Kenny Omega is Freiza.

After Goku(Hangman), together with help from Piccolo(The Dark Order) goaded him into a match(last week), he revealed his final true form and was too powerful for all of them(this week). As last ditch effort Goku used the Spirit Bomb(friendship) and barely defeated Frieza, or so he though but Frieza was still alive. A bunch of minor characters were then killed off, including Krillin(John Silver). Goku got so angry he went Super Saiyan(All Out), and began to outfight Frieza. His power level was off the charts(everything post All Out). Then Frieza decided if he couldn't win nobody could(scorched earth campaign), and threw his most powerful blast at the planet Namek(One Winged Angel), ensuring its destruction because Frieza can breath in space and Goku could not. Goku continued to defeat him though, and Frieza decided to unleash his full 100% power(Full Gear). Gan Goku the Super Saiyan defeat Frieza and save the planet Namek?

History tells us yes.

Damnit who let Sammy in the writer's room!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
ive got a first date with a gorgeous girl who is apparently really big into wrestling on friday and i think i might ask them if they want to go to united center to go see cm punk for our second lol

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

One little thing I noticed (and read from trip reports) is how much utter despair there is in the building when Kenny has someone up for the OWA.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

shiksa posted:

ive got a first date with a gorgeous girl who is apparently really big into wrestling on friday and i think i might ask them if they want to go to united center to go see cm punk for our second lol

Marking out like children sounds like a dope rear end date tbh, do it

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

My take on the Hangman thing. Six months ago this would have destroyed him. Sent him even further into nothing. Today he has his friends around him. He got his bell rung, singlehandedly pinned BOTH tag champs, and only lost to Kenny after a chair shot. I think he'll take it as a knock that makes him even more determined to get the belt.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

rewatched the main.

Without my kids in the room, I liked it a lot.

also, when Chris came out in blackface my daughter and I were both going "uhhhhhh....."

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

About an hour later I’m still cackling like a maniac and repeating ”MDK all fuckin day” in my home while doing chores

The last time this happened was when YOSHI-HASHI won the trios belts. Pro wrestling is good

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm helping my friend look for a date to go to "the first dance" wrestling event in chicago. if anyone is interested please send me a pm. you must be willing to buy the tickets, an individual hotel room for my friend, and their airfare both ways. my friend has been hurt before on a planned trip to washington that ended up with them being ghosted. serious inquiries only

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Pylons posted:

One little thing I noticed (and read from trip reports) is how much utter despair there is in the building when Kenny has someone up for the OWA.

Only one kickout (Ibushi years ago?) and Mox escaped the pin once by setting off the electric barb wire. It is the most protected move I can recall, probably ever.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i used to have Ol' 55 in my regular playlist and had to yank it

it was the absolute perfect pick for that montage but that song ruins me now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just finished catching up on the show, that opening Elimination match was insane even if I wanted Hangman to win and be happy and get a puppy. The main event was crazy, Jericho is a crazy man. But anyway nevermind all that bullshit, because... ahem. Go ACE! :dance:

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

I still cannot wrap my head around the fact that I've seen Nick Gage have deathmatches with Matt Cardona and Chris Jericho. Like AEW has conjured up a lot of crazy matches and appearances, but this is going to stick with me for a long time. I don't even know who could top the sheer weirdness of Nick Gage showing up in AEW, maybe like John Cena or The Rock?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

also, when Chris came out in blackface my daughter and I were both going "uhhhhhh....."

I'm not sure I'd count that as "blackface". It was a mask he removed. If this counts as blackface then Uno, the Blade, and Andrade are in blackface too.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Lamuella posted:

I'm not sure I'd count that as "blackface". It was a mask he removed. If this counts as blackface then Uno, the Blade, and Andrade are in blackface too.

Yeah. I’m pretty sure it was mean to be an inverted version of Joey Jordisons’ mask seeing as he died yesterday

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
After sitting with the 5v5 ending for awhile I realized i'm kayfabe-sad/mad, but trust AEW to bring an awesome story out of this, it's not completely surprising that Hangman has another trial or setback with this loss, and maybe even another after. Like I said before, I think Kenny's reign is going to go on a while yet, unless they make a hard pivot to set up Kenny / Hangman again for All Out, but tonight would have been the time to do that

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Yeah. I’m pretty sure it was mean to be an inverted version of Joey Jordisons’ mask seeing as he died yesterday

wait what?! gently caress! how did i not even hear that?!

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Lamuella posted:

I thought it was face paint at first and I was like "oh no no no".

I wonder if MJF not paying Gage will come into play later on, even though it's only been mentioned on Twitter for now. I'm pretty sure the stipulation of the Labors is that no member of the Inner Circle is allowed to interfere, so that leaves a loophole if they want to use it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

lol

I think AEW really built up Punk coming in perfectly. They announced it without announcing it. We know he's coming in and when and where... but it's not technically announced.

This was one of the few Dynamites I haven't loved. I'm not as super into Page as everyone else but the 10 man was still really anticlimactic. Rosa/Julia was pretty sloppy. Thought the tag match was really good until disaster hit. I'm not sure about Brit having someone else with her.

But the glass table spot kicked rear end. Jericho looked dead after the match.

The show for me was all about the man getting his head drummed and the greatest moment in the history of our sport: the Dominoes PiP.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I have a theory for the Labors of Jericho. If you look at Jericho's history, it seems like there's a career-spanning logic to it. Jericho's been primarily in WWE, WCW, ECW, NJPW, and AEW. His styles have spanned through North American sports-entertainment (sorry, for lack of a better term), hardcore, technical, and high-flying.

#1: Fellow Canadian, former WWE guy, North American-style stip match.
#2: Hardcore brawler from the closest thing we have to ECW nowadays.
#3: High flying stipulation against a former WCW rival.
#5: MJF, an AEW talent in what I assume is going to be a standard match, or maybe put his career on the line.

The promotion that's missing in Jericho's history is NJPW, and the wrestling style that's missing is technical/submission.

Bring on #4, Zack Sabre Jr. in a submissions-only match.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was a weird moment since Hangman beating both tag champs and then the world champ by himself would have both been excessive *and* exactly the sort of rocket you strap to a dude who's about to finally end the Elite's reign of terror. Then...uh, he lost. Okay then

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

I have a theory for the Labors of Jericho. If you look at Jericho's history, it seems like there's a career-spanning logic to it. Jericho's been primarily in WWE, WCW, ECW, NJPW, and AEW. His styles have spanned through North American sports-entertainment (sorry, for lack of a better term), hardcore, technical, and high-flying.

#1: Fellow Canadian, former WWE guy, North American-style stip match.
#2: Hardcore brawler from the closest thing we have to ECW nowadays.
#3: High flying stipulation against a former WCW rival.
#5: MJF, an AEW talent in what I assume is going to be a standard match, or maybe put his career on the line.

The promotion that's missing in Jericho's history is NJPW, and the wrestling style that's missing is technical/submission.

Bring on #4, Zack Sabre Jr. in a submissions-only match.

I think you're on the right track but Gage was his Painmaker/NJPW match.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I thought about that, but his early Japan run was Lionheart, so :shrug:

The other option of SMW & Lance Storm has also been mentioned, which would still track with that theory.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Tanahashi gonna come to America to teach us all how to use a pen

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1241228036621709312

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Kota was about to job to the pen

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think the elimination match was super good and didn't diminish Hangman at all. Dude was alone against what AEW considers the three best wrestlers in the world, took out one of them and was only finally put down by blatant cheating. A classic story of looking strong in defeat.

Also the show was very good overall. The opener and main event were superb, FTR vs PnP was real good, and Archer vs Hikuleo was a good old hoss off. The other matches were entirely OK too, albeit very predictable. Maybe a step down from the previous two weeks, but those shows were so strong that it's kinda unfair to expect the same quality every week.

Also, not to forget, GO ACE!

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I thought about that, but his early Japan run was Lionheart, so :shrug:

The other option of SMW & Lance Storm has also been mentioned, which would still track with that theory.

I think we’re all forgetting someone when talking about Jericho opponents

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jonny Nox posted:

rewatched the main.

Without my kids in the room, I liked it a lot.

Me, from the GDT:

Davros1 posted:

Please let that be a mask. Please let that be a mask. Please let that be a mask

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Not to be rude or anything, but how in the gently caress was it not completely obvious that Jericho was wearing a mask?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Not to be rude or anything, but how in the gently caress was it not completely obvious that Jericho was wearing a mask?

Goon face blindness strikes again

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the dark order should have won
push orange cassidy
Tony khan is a coward

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As it turns out Tony Khan was Always Bad.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So I've just had a thought; what if Bryan Danielson comes in as like the final trial? Have MJF talk about how Jericho was one of the best technical wrestlers of his generation and he's decided that he'd find someone just as good with something to prove.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

a cyborg mug posted:

Goon face blindness strikes again

The show's in Charlotte and he was unrecognisable.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Testekill posted:

So I've just had a thought; what if Bryan Danielson comes in as like the final trial? Have MJF talk about how Jericho was one of the best technical wrestlers of his generation and he's decided that he'd find someone just as good with something to prove.

I'd rather Zack Sabre Jr if you go that route, mainly because I don't think Danielson should lose his debut.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Yaya posted:

I'd rather Zack Sabre Jr if you go that route, mainly because I don't think Danielson should lose his debut.

This is the same reason I don't buy any of the concerns that Punk/Danielson will face Kenny at All Out.

Dark Order still should have won last night though.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Cerebral Bore posted:

It was basically a split second of confusion for me because I'm not used to seeing him wear a mask. I was expecting face paint and my brain didn't process it immediately.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Thus far very few of the big names that AEW has signed have gone straight into a main event feud for the world title. The closest there is to that is Brodie Lee, and even there he was with the company for two months before getting a world title shot.

Obviously Punk and Bryan are different, as they're a different level of fame before getting to AEW, but I think they're a level of fame where they don't need to be challenging for the world title, and certainly don't need to be challenging for it just yet. There's so many fun matchups you could do without involving a world title. Punk vs Darby is an obvious choice. Bryan vs MJF could be fun. Either of them versus basically anyone in Death Triangle, or Miro, or Brian Cage, or so many other guys. poo poo, either of them teaming with or working against Orange Cassidy would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Lamuella posted:

poo poo, either of them teaming with or working against Orange Cassidy would be great.

At some point Orange Cassidy will do a zero effort 'YES!' gesture and it will be incredible