Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I just grabbed a used 80D. I'm still struggling a bit with the viewfinder.

I'm near sighted coming from a T4i and have to have both diopters maxed + direction to be sharp. Which makes me wonder if they're even as sharp as they could be. I wear glasses obviously and smush my face into the back of the camera.

I've seen +X diopter adapters from Canon. But people complain that it makes the viewfinder smaller and less useful and is pretty much not worth it. On my T4i I have to get REALLY close to see the corners and the exposure info in the viewfinder. In the 80D it's not that hard to do and I can just rest the eyecup on my spectacles.

Are you more confident in focusing with the live view magnified or using your mirror in the viewfinder? Do people focus with both eyes open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I'm on the tripod I use the back screen 100% of the time. If I'm handheld the viewfinder works fine for me and I have poo poo eyes too. At least the 80d has a swappable diopter.. mirrorless bodies are not changeable (but I think they have more range than older diopters).

I'll only keep both eyes open if I'm shooting action, like panning shots at a race. Keeping the non-viewfinder eye open gives me a bit of peripheral vision to see what's incoming. Also my eyelid gets tired holding one eye closed for too long. Clearly I need more eyelid curls in my gym routine.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Live view and viewfinder use different focusing methods on DSLRs

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

With the 80D at least it’s still fast even if you switch to the back screen. Auto-focusing with live view on the older Canon DSLR’s (and all the Nikons) is slow as poo poo, although generally pretty accurate.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Yeah DPAF is pretty good on the newer canons

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's so good it makes one entitled and when you get into a situation where it fails (eg a bird in a field of branches) you get irrationally critical.

Well I do anyways. I am a spoiled brat.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

jarlywarly posted:

Live view and viewfinder use different focusing methods on DSLRs

I meant for nailing manual focus.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Control customization question. I've been shooting in M mode on my R6 and mostly using a wheel to adjust ISO to get proper exposure (once I'm happy with shutter speed and aperture). This works fine, but in the cases where I move from shade to bright sun or visa versa, it takes a lot of wheel action to get the exposure where it needs to be for the new light environment. Is there a way to configure a button to either both meter and adjust ISO to +0 exposure, or to at least adjust ISO to to +0 off of the last reading?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It has an 'auto' iso mode, you get to it by scrolling below ISO 100. I've never touched it so can't say how well it works but if you want the camera to be adjusting ISO for you that's your option.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, yeah, that works most of the time but I feel like I'm missing some element of control. Like if I have it on Auto, then adjust ISO from that for exposure compensation, the adjustment will revert back to Auto after a few seconds. I'd rather force it to Auto with a button push or at least have a button toggle for on/off Auto ISO.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've returned to Canon after years, and got a M6 mark ii. It's pretty goddamn good so far and filling the need, but I need to sanity check myself. Does it not have a grid view in image playback/picture gallery? My T2i did, that seems like kind of a weird feature to be missing.

e: not a grid like a 3x3 line grid, but a multiple-image grid of small previews.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Probably whichever dial zooms in on a photo during playback, if you crank the opposite direction will show multiple photos?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Yeah, at least on my other canon cameras, zooming out from the single picture view goes to a 2x2 and then 3x3 grid. The touchscreen ones also do it on a pinch/zoom gesture.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
On my M50, pinch to zoom works, and also the two buttons on the right edge of the camera, * and a little ▦ looking thing do the zoom in/out.

Also just saw the M50 Mk2 is out. Tha changes are... eye-detect autofocus and direct stream to youtube? :confused:

I like my M50 for travel since it's compact, light, and handles well but that's a pretty pathetic update. Still the same sensor with the same 1.4x crop in 4k and without DP autofocus, no headphone jack, etc. But shelling out two grand for a full frame camera is still a pretty difficult proposition.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So the R5 is hot but can someone explain why RF lenses seem so ridiculously more expensive than EF lenses, even L-glass?

I don't have plans to ditch my 5DIV any time soon (mostly because the smaller mirrorless bodies feel kinda crap in my giant hands) but goddamn those prices.

e: god do I miss the flip out screen of my 60D though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're new so demand is high and we're living in a pandemic. If I remember right prices on all Canon's lenses went up by ~$100 a month or two ago.

The RF lenses are in theory technically superior too.. they're higher resolution to prepare for ever increasing megapixel counts. But not all RF lenses are testing that well, like the RF 24-105 is optically identical to the EF 24-105 with some updated lens coatings.

But other lenses are amazing, the RF 100-500 have been tested to be superior to the EF 100-400.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

But other lenses are amazing, the RF 100-500 have been tested to be superior to the EF 100-400.

It's funny how this lens was mocked for the f/7.1 apperture when it first was announced and now it's still impossible to find. If I could afford one I'd definitely get it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fair! I should have thought about component shortages considering how long I spent hunting for PC hardware.

Just spent a good hour reading up on the R5 and R6 and seeing how the R6 performs, and how well EF lenses work with the adapter, it suddenly looks like a really good deal over the R5. Still not enough to make me drop £1.9K on a new body though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There are also fewer cameras being sokd (smartphones...) to spread the R&Dcist plus late stage capitalism demands ever ballooning profit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

It's funny how this lens was mocked for the f/7.1 apperture when it first was announced and now it's still impossible to find. If I could afford one I'd definitely get it.

Yeah the day I find one actually for sale and I have the cash I'm going to get it. It seems perfect to me, pair with a 24-105 and a 1.6 extender and you can cover an absurd focal range with just two lenses that both have a 77mm filter thread.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

xzzy posted:

Yeah the day I find one actually for sale and I have the cash I'm going to get it. It seems perfect to me, pair with a 24-105 and a 1.6 extender and you can cover an absurd focal range with just two lenses that both have a 77mm filter thread.
Extenders are 1.4x (APS-C is 1.6x crop) or 2.0x, but the extender does pair very well with the 100-400 / 100-500 from everything I've heard.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ijyt posted:

Fair! I should have thought about component shortages considering how long I spent hunting for PC hardware.

Just spent a good hour reading up on the R5 and R6 and seeing how the R6 performs, and how well EF lenses work with the adapter, it suddenly looks like a really good deal over the R5. Still not enough to make me drop £1.9K on a new body though.

The R6 is loving amazing, especially at low light.

Note how you can see the stars. Taken freehand while on a vaporetto:

Also shooting into light:

Bird eye tracking through a window with the Sigma 150-600

Macro:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Damnit. We're a long ways off from an R6 mk II, too. Doubt too many are hitting the used market either. I'd love an R6, just don't want to spend the cash.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think the eye tracking and low light performance is what gets me most. I love shooting low light, and the amount of wildlife photos I've had to cull because the focus was juuuust off to be good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The eye tracking on modern mirrorless is magic, and both the R6 and R5 are in that group. It really only fails when there's bad contrast (brown bird in a sea of brown branches) but if there's a good outline it will latch on and every shot is gonna be perfect.

And yes the low light performance is stellar too. You can pull so much stuff out of the shadows.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Seconding the low light performance. I have an R5 and was doing astro shots with a 20mm f1.4 and the auto focus worked. On the stars. My old setup with my crop sensor T7i I had to do MF all the time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was really surprised when I could focus in live view when trying to do the Perseids a month ago. I could sort of do it with the 80d, but noise was so bad at 10x zoom it was a crapshoot. I still had to take test shots and adjust focus from the results to get things right.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Would an original 5D qualify as a trade-in for the Canon Loyalty Program? I'm thinking about finally upgrading to a 6D MkII and the discount would be kind of nice.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

GWBBQ posted:

Would an original 5D qualify as a trade-in for the Canon Loyalty Program? I'm thinking about finally upgrading to a 6D MkII and the discount would be kind of nice.

Wow, I didn't even realize the loyalty program was still a thing. I don't think they were ever picky about what they accepted. Curious to see what they're offering these days.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Wow, I didn't even realize the loyalty program was still a thing. I don't think they were ever picky about what they accepted. Curious to see what they're offering these days.
I sat on the idea of getting a new camera for a week, and decided to go with it because my old 30D is dead and I'm tired of waiting 7+ seconds to even get a preview from the OG 5D. Got $125.90 off of $1259 for the 6D MkII body, I'll be keeping an eye out for deals on EF lenses.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Anyone have a Canon EOS RP they could share some tips & tricks on? I upgraded into one from a Nikon D5200 and although I'm already super-duper happy (I picked up a Canon RF 50MM f1.8 as well), I know there is a lot of camera here compared to what I'm used to.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Any rumors on an update or replacement for the EOS R5? I shoot landscape and am interested in switching to Canon after a disappointing experience this year with an A7RIV, but it seems the R5 has been out for quite a while now and I’m worried about investing in it if there’s a replacement coming soon.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

Any rumors on an update or replacement for the EOS R5? I shoot landscape and am interested in switching to Canon after a disappointing experience this year with an A7RIV, but it seems the R5 has been out for quite a while now and I’m worried about investing in it if there’s a replacement coming soon.

The R3 is pre-order now and next year there might be an R1 but I don’t think there’s anything firm on an R5mk2. Canon is still updating r5 firmware though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

R5 is barely over a year old. It's gonna be years before a refresh.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!
Any thoughts on the benefits/differences of a 90D vs. a T8i? I need to replace my T3i so that I can shoot 4K video, and thanks to my investment in EF-S lenses I don’t want to move up to full frame.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

They're new so demand is high and we're living in a pandemic. If I remember right prices on all Canon's lenses went up by ~$100 a month or two ago.

The RF lenses are in theory technically superior too.. they're higher resolution to prepare for ever increasing megapixel counts. But not all RF lenses are testing that well, like the RF 24-105 is optically identical to the EF 24-105 with some updated lens coatings.

All this AND Canon is adopting the Sony emount approach to their pricing, which is basically doing the Apple thing and saying: "Premium lens at premium price. Take it or leave it."

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 10, 2024

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
How dumb is it to buy a (refurbished ) 90D?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Guacamayo posted:

How dumb is it to buy a (refurbished ) 90D?

Canon's best and probably last ever crop DSLR. So probably not that dumb.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chewed up the SD slot on my R5 (pro tip: don't mess with cards with gloves on). Any ballpark for how much canon gonna take me over the coals to fix it?

Would third party be a completely horrible idea?

Edit - should add, it's at least a bent pin. So I gorillad it good.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

A local camera repair guy in Austin who mostly does shutters on old film cameras had a 5Diii on the bench in his shop once and I asked about it. He said, “these things, you should avoid taking the memory cards in and out out of them. Use a USB cable and transfer the files over that way. Too easy to break the slots.” He said the card bay swap was very tedious but not that difficult. But the 5Diii was older by then and spare parts fairly easy to find.

If the R5 isn’t assembled in too radically different a way, your average private camera repair place could possibly do the job if they can source the replacement parts. Don’t know if you’re still under any kind of manufacturer warranty period but going outside of Canon themselves or possibly a Canon-authorized repair service (if such a thing exists anymore, I think Nikon stopped certifying 3rd-party repair places a few years ago, not sure about Canon) would probably void that.

If it was me, and I had to ship out the camera a long way away, I’d just go with sending it to Canon. But if there was a local repair place nearby, I’d at least talk to them about it first.