Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boredsatellite posted:

Im pretty sure GGG expected some people to leave but they probably didnt expect this amount.

I'm gonna put it in the least controversial terms I can think of: I'm personally finding the campaign to be such a slog that playing the game is simply not fun for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

12 rats tied together posted:

iirc chain reaction bricks tinkerskin in that you only gain the trigger effect once for the initial trigger and not for all of the traps that chain reaction triggers. last time i played a tinkerskin MoM EB build (fire trap) i intentionally didn't take chain reaction for this reason

Oh, this is good to know, I've only played SSF and haven't had tinkerskin but I'll definitely remove that node if I get lucky and find one

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Elentor posted:

I'm gonna put it in the least controversial terms I can think of: I'm personally finding the campaign to be such a slog that playing the game is simply not fun for me.

But you HAVE to climb up the ladder before you can go down the slide! :goonsay:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also if you're in a wheelchair everyone sneers at you when you ask if it's really the only way up there

anyway the biggest indicator of Why This Patch Sucks is even in leagues I didn't like and quit early i still played for hours at a time but this league it's all been in 1-2 hour chunks lol. Between the league mechanics and mobs being tankier I simply click too much and begin to get sore, let alone it not being as fun as before.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jinnigan posted:

folks its time to reroll my hierophant. what other builds they got out there. i could do like... a 10-15ex build probably.

so far on the docket ive got: ragestorm berzerker, sst/sc gladiator, or some kind of raider (not tr/ca)

Check out badger if you want ideas for rage cyclone. I played it to act 5 it was ok but too much micromanagement.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

also if you're in a wheelchair everyone sneers at you when you ask if it's really the only way up there

People will tell you to take a break from the game because you sound burnt out but I think it's more important for you to take a break from posting, for obvious reasons.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
you can also slap blood magic on an unset mark on hit ring as far as ive read...

e: some people talk about cwdt-arcane surge or whatever, since triggered spells now cost mana, everything goes.
Until they patch it of course.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 29, 2021

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Comparing grinding in an arpg to discrimination against the disabled is super lovely.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

pork never goes bad posted:

Comparing grinding in an arpg to discrimination against the disabled is super lovely.

So is this dumb mentality that you must suck up the bad parts of the game without ever asking for better things.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/otqkm9/psa_rog_mod_removal_is_based_off_ilvl_requirement/

quote:

Based off the description of the craft, most people would expect the energy shield roll to get removed since it's the lowest tier mod (T4)

Instead, it seems to be the mod that has the lowest ilvl requirement that gets removed. T1 life actually has a low ilvl 44 req (basically means you can roll T1 life on very low level rings), lower than any other mod here so it gets removed.

why in the gently caress would they make it work like this, what were they even thinking.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

qnqnx posted:

So is this dumb mentality that you must suck up the bad parts of the game without ever asking for better things.

Like, on the one hand, I've never said that. But I do object to people being unrelentingly negative and unwilling to engage with the game that exists right now. And I seriously object to people comparing having to spend time in an arpg to hit some milestone with the totally not in the same league discrimination that disabled people face w/r/t access to say nothing of the myriad other ways the disabled are discriminated against. Forget my video game opinions, if you can't see that's disordered then I dunno what to tell you.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The game is literally giving me arthritis. It's making me (extremely mildly) disabled. Of course I could simply not play it and play a different game, but the game is fun. I would simply like to not have to click nearly as much as I do to enjoy the game. But they say over and over how they simply can't make it less physically demanding because, uh, people would respect it less? Or something? (Or, probably more accurately, none of them give a poo poo)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Furthermore you seem to think I'm talking about grinding when I'm talking about the basic functions of the game so I don't know what you're smoking dude.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'm fully in favor of ggg making their game more accessible, and I'm on the record calling their, erm, record on accessibility as being really bad. Given that, it's astonishing to me that you think a video game having lots of clicking in it is giving you a disability. That your inability to farm maven is anything like the ableism many of us face daily? What are you doing?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
im doing flicker, terminus est - slayer.

any tips for levelling skills on this?

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

hopterque posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/otqkm9/psa_rog_mod_removal_is_based_off_ilvl_requirement/

why in the gently caress would they make it work like this, what were they even thinking.

you need to come up with new builds obviously :)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

hopterque posted:

Yea I lost a +1 level Chaos skill gems staff to this. Honestly, I can see why you do it that way but it's terribly communicated.

It does make Rog influenced items very good at rolling multiple influenced mods (since they are all high ilevel) so there's benefits and drawbacks.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The people that have been 'leaving' the game for the last 3 years are still doom-saying, also GGG flat out said they expect a moderate exodus of players as they make changes. Raiz has a take on this
I don't really agree with this viewpoint, primarily from the perspective of a game designer, but it's certainly a way to shut up some of the more "annoying" complainers, I suppose.

I could probably write an essay but I'll sum it up like this: As a game designer, I want to accomplish certain goals. Usually, those goals are to make something that I personally think is fun, to make something that a lot of people will think is fun, and then make money off said fun. There really isn't any room for "I want to get rid of people who want to play my game a certain way" in that list. If anything, I actually try to accommodate those people on their own separate environment, which for PoE is why SSF and Hardcore exist. If there is statistically a specific way that a lot of people want to play and it's easy to give it to those people while still making the thing that I personally think is fun and a lot of other people will think is fun, there's zero reason not to offer it. Removing loyal supporters is not a goal, ever. The final point to make about this is that having crazy-loyal fans who freak out like this is the best thing you could ever accomplish as a game designer. That's a passion that you cannot buy and it counts big time for passive marketing.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
chris wilson has a fetish for clicking. im pretty sure he doesnt even enjoy killing monsters he just likes clicking on them. this explains everything about poe and ggg

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mercrom posted:

chris wilson has a fetish for clicking. im pretty sure he doesnt even enjoy killing monsters he just likes clicking on them. this explains everything about poe and ggg

yeah its weird that a guy who started a game dev company called grinding gear games enjoys games where you grind for gear.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

yeah its weird that a guy who started a game dev company called grinding gear games enjoys games where you grind for gear.

??????

anyway i hope the steam switch gets really popular so ggg is forced to add a control scheme to the pc version that doesnt involve mouse clicks

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm fully in favor of ggg making their game more accessible, and I'm on the record calling their, erm, record on accessibility as being really bad. Given that, it's astonishing to me that you think a video game having lots of clicking in it is giving you a disability. That your inability to farm maven is anything like the ableism many of us face daily? What are you doing?

look man, I'm really glad you have the blessed genes that make your tendons not wear out like this. Or maybe you just aren't as much of a gamer as me. That's all good. But I'm not even someone whos ever fought Sirus. I'm basically saying the campaign is just difficult enough to be annoying, and that I'm very tired of excessive clicking, and you're interpreting this as some kind of hatred of the post game grind or league challenges or something. I don't know who you're arguing against but it's not me. Stfu.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are builds that minimize clicking. You can also just make your item filter strict and reduce clicking .

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

There are builds that minimize clicking. You can also just make your item filter strict and reduce clicking .

wow. thanks. i never thought of playing a one button build, as I currently do. I even map my main skills to keyboard keys. it's purely clicking chests, especially expedition chests, picking stuff up, and rapid dodging. Especially picking stuff up. What am I supposed to do, filter out the currency? I need that stuff.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Might not be the game for you

I recently played a lot of Snowrunner. It’s a good RPG with nice level design and minimal clicking. You can use an Xbox controller for it which is a nice change up from POE

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

euphronius posted:

I recently played a lot of Snowrunner. It’s a good RPG with nice level design and minimal clicking. You can use an Xbox controller for it which is a nice change up from POE

Or if he owns a console he can just play PoE? This attitude is incredibly dumb. It's not a hard problem to solve, they just don't want to. Presumably because Gamers get very angry over how other people play games and resist any change that could make it easier for other people.

This used to be my favorite game and I could play forever without problems. Recently my wrist and hand have been getting tired playing it and that makes me worried if I should even be playing at all. No other game makes me worry about my health and that seems like pretty bad game design to me. If there was some third party tool that reduced the amount of mouse movements and clicking in this game I would risk my 10 year account and install it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

play the chinese version and use controller support whenever it gets implemented

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

euphronius posted:

It would be nice if some player base was lost and they gained some different ones

euphronius posted:

“QOL” is the worst* term games have ever come up with and it’s a shame developers bought into its nonsensical nonsense

*not including the culture war stuff

euphronius posted:

I Mean imagine complaining about your quality of life playing a free DOS game on the internet in your abundant free time

euphronius posted:

it'd be nice if this toxic part of the player base was lost and people who wanted to have fun playing a videogame were allowed to

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I literally might install console PoE on my Xbox lol. The ps4 version was unstable garbage but apparently the Xbox port is roughly equal or better than PC. Its not like I'd particularly miss trading all that much. I only do it when I absolutely have to as is, because it sucks. I don't know why they don't just port controller support over because as far as I can tell from the couple hours on PS4 they didn't change anything like mob density or whatever.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

install a program that checks your apm. set an upper limit. if you ever pass that value, it shuts down the game and maybe your computer if you really need to be thorough. been a life saver for me.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

You can use a controller on PC anyway

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

AggressivelyStupid posted:

You can use a controller on PC anyway

Yeah, you can control your mouse pointer with an Xbox controller but at that point you should just play Snowrunner for a more fast paced experience.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it'd be nice if this toxic part of the player base was lost and people who wanted to have fun playing a videogame were allowed to

Yeah its incredible how toxic and dismissive they are being right now. Like hell my fingers hurt at times too due to picking up all these small drops.

Its not a small problem

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I found a logbook last night during leveling and played it and it was super fun

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Yeah its incredible how toxic and dismissive they are being right now. Like hell my fingers hurt at times too due to picking up all these small drops.

Its not a small problem

The game having pointless amounts of clicking is a legitimate gripe with the game and while GGG is sloooowly improving, there's still a bunch and it sucks. That said, Larry has already made it clear that logging off was never an option, so what else is there to say?

My advice to anyone having wrist/finger issues is: stretch your arms and hands, take breaks, bind main abilities to the keyboard, switch to a strict filter asap and get a vertical mouse.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think it’s toxic to point out that maybe people should reconsider an activity causing them physical pain

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

As if that was the only thing you were doing

You were basically mocking the idea of qol improvements and the person for even bringing it up.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Its the wrong approach though, its fighting symptoms and not the root of the problem.

Like, the solution to chronic pain from clicking things shouldnt be to stop clicking things, but to require less clickings.

I admit its a problem i personally have never run into, its simply loving annoying having to run an extra lap picking up all the poo poo that dropped, but im not in actual physical pain from it.
I do fully sympathize with people who experience this however, and the solution to all these problems would be for poo poo to drop in stacks, or go the way of metamorph organs.

Same with loving quest items, why cant they just be a flag in our log instead of a loving 2x3 slot item ffs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think people always mean “my hands hurt” when they say “QOL” . Part of the problem of the phrase is that it’s nonsensically broad and seems to incorporate anything the author of the phrase wants to change about the game. Plus the surface absurdity of talking about quality of life issues wrt a computer game built around grinding maps for 100 hours. If by “QOL” people mean “make the game more accessible for people with chronic wrist pain” then they should say that I guess.

I apologize if I hurt the feelings of people whose hands and wrists hurt playing PoE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
I'll never understand the arguing against QoL changes, I've yet to find someone that enjoys picking up breach splinters 1 at a time, same with legion splinters.

The only good thing about this league is streamers having a meltdown about "not being heard" like they're supposed to be dictating the games direction completely.

That and Zizaran not being able to cheese hardcore.