Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Randalor posted:

I mean, technically couldn't the GG veto everything (or just refuse to rubberstamp anything) until the Canadian government at least starts upholding their end of the treaties and agreements?
In Canada the GG isn’t need led to give Royal assent. If they are unable to give assent, the deputy GG (Chief Justice of the Supreme Court) or any of the other Supreme Court justices could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

I may frequently disagree with your politics but please stay safe. Your premier is literally trying to kill you. :ohdear:

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress.

It was bad enough that people at work were casually talking about what a fucko Kenney is, and that's uncommon. I don't understand what he's trying to do by reducing testing and tracing and quarantine requirements. What's the point other than "hahaha gently caress you all and die?"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress.

It was bad enough that people at work were casually talking about what a fucko Kenney is, and that's uncommon. I don't understand what he's trying to do by reducing testing and tracing and quarantine requirements. What's the point other than "hahaha gently caress you all and die?"

The point is to try to sweep it under the rug so enough time passes between now and the next election cycle that his popularity has a chance to rebound.

It's a stupid risky bet that was probably 100% based on UK rates cratering when guess what, they are on summer break.

Now let me take a drink and read about every other risky bet he's made.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
But, why not just continue testing normally, do contact tracing, and require people who are positive/ill to isolate?

Who's begging for sick people to be in public? Just say, "yeah, we're rolling the dice, do whatever you want, take the mask off and lick a fuckin' doorknob if you want, but if you pop positive, stay your rear end at home until you aren't and we'll let the people who were near you know so that they can get tested." That's still exceptionally little intervention during a pandemic.

I don't think this is going to end well because a lack of data is going to destroy the confidence of people who accept a good deal of risk, but don't want to be flying completely blind. After the isolation requirement goes away, no way in hell I'm going to a restaurant or bar.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The only thing I can think of is that he’s trying to appease some big donors who are anti-maskers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

The only thing I can think of is that he’s trying to appease some big donors who are anti-maskers.

Right, but, like: the masks are all but gone already. Removing them from public transit seems like a lovely idea, but even that's not the worst. Why reduce testing and remove isolation requirements? That's not about protecting anyone's freedom. Who's begging to go out when they've tested positive with a serious illness? What the actual gently caress is wrong with these loving imbeciles? It doesn't even make sense from an anti-masker anti-vaxx perspective, that's what makes it so odd.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

PT6A posted:

Right, but, like: the masks are all but gone already. Removing them from public transit seems like a lovely idea, but even that's not the worst. Why reduce testing and remove isolation requirements? That's not about protecting anyone's freedom. Who's begging to go out when they've tested positive with a serious illness? What the actual gently caress is wrong with these loving imbeciles? It doesn't even make sense from an anti-masker anti-vaxx perspective, that's what makes it so odd.
They might be the “COVID is a hoax!” type who see even the slightest possible public health measures as some sort of personal insult. Maybe they’re big enough that they threatened to fund a “People’s Party of Alberta” or get Kenney turfed.

I agree that the announcement makes no sense. The loss of donor funding is the only “rational” explanation I could come up with.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Don't lament the death of Alberta contact tracing, it never worked in the first place.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Don't lament the death of Alberta contact tracing, it never worked in the first place.

Ha. Haha...

This isn't funny at all...

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Mr. Apollo posted:

In Canada the GG isn’t need led to give Royal assent. If they are unable to give assent, the deputy GG (Chief Justice of the Supreme Court) or any of the other Supreme Court justices could.

The governor general can certainly withhold royal assent, which is what was being discussed above in the context of a veto. Her deputies cannot overrule her and grant it over her objection, but withholding royal assent without a drat good reason probably would lead to the prime minister advising the queen to withdraw her commission.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I think Kenny is betting the hospitals won't be overrun and they won't have to back track.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

^^^If he's banking on the hospitals on not being overrun when there is rampant bed closures, staff is burnt out, Shandro has declared open warfare on pretty much all front line and support staff with an eye towards starving the beast and privatizing, then it'll work out about as well as AIMCO and the billions he gambled on pipelines so far. We're going to see wards being slammed with cases up until the end of year and beyond.

PittTheElder posted:

Even worse; it actively blocked the federal tracing app and Kenney refused to entertain even the thought of allowing us Albertan peons to be able to use it. Oh and because of this people are now less likely to take any illness seriously. People with cold symptoms are returning to work immediately after receiving a negative COVID test. They won't even allow you to get a test unless you're about to be hospitalized. They're saying "We officially don't care about anyone who works with the public, we officially don't care about school safety, we officially don't care about anyone who hasn't been vaxxed (for any reason) and we officially don't expect anyone to behave as though we ever did care." :ughh: Welcome to Thunderdome. :commissar:

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 29, 2021

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

It's sort of interesting -- pretty well everything except the isolation requirements and removing contact tracing (although BC follows strict droplet protocol for contact tracing which is how you get classes with a case but not close contacts so contact tracing is pretty meh) are things BC has already done.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Hinshaw had a Zoom meeting with family docs in Alberta today, and one of the takeaways was that they weren't continuing mask mandates because 'you can write down the law, but it takes people to enforce it.' I mean, it'll take MORE people to take care of the new COVID patients but apparently that's a step too far. Also it would lead to increased confrontation because it's a very polarized item.

She also encouraged family doctors to talk to people in their communities and use our unique knowledge of them to convince reluctant people to get the shot! It's a good thing everyone but her was muted because I think I wasn't the only person screaming WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU THINK WE'VE BEEN DOING.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Goosed it. posted:

It's sort of interesting -- pretty well everything except the isolation requirements and removing contact tracing (although BC follows strict droplet protocol for contact tracing which is how you get classes with a case but not close contacts so contact tracing is pretty meh) are things BC has already done.

Yeah, and we’ve already done all that too. The only things you have to do right now are: wear masks on public transit and in healthcare facilities, and isolate if you’re positive or a close contact of a positive person. And there are not many close contacts because the standards are ridiculous.

These new changes make no sense because there were zero restrictions of any significance to begin with!

Thinking about it, the only reason they’re stopping testing and isolation requirements is to not deal with schools with many classes in quarantine and not enough teachers. That’s what they’re doing, that’s what they’re scared of. They won’t actually do anything about the safety aspects in schools though, because they are hateful morons.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Goosed it. posted:

(although BC follows strict droplet protocol for contact tracing which is how you get classes with a case but not close contacts so contact tracing is pretty meh)

I wonder how much bad covid response comes from insisting that we haven't learned anything since like February 2020. "Well some expert once said it's droplets so we're gonna stick with that until the end of time."

(See also: 6 feet.)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

God the mask mandates were always important because it gave individuals confidence to say gently caress off to non-maskers.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Goosed it. posted:

Oh, and also they're not going to test people unless it's "needed as part of treatment"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

This is a full list of changes, what the gently caress Alberta

https://twitter.com/jenleecbc/status/1420502800702844932?s=21

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
They probably had some business group tell them that too many people were missing work due to covid or exposure so they made it do you pretty much have to be dying to get tested now.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I understand most of it as "haha Alberta decisions" or things that other places have also done, but no isolation required on a positive test is absolutely bonkers.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Maybe he's planning on taking a page from Pallister's playbook and just saying "For shame, I'm very disappointed in all Albertians".

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

They probably had some business group tell them that too many people were missing work due to covid or exposure so they made it do you pretty much have to be dying to get tested now.

That makes the most sense to me, positive test = sick time

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It is a great day for catholicism, my interesting internet acquaintances.

quote:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/rheal-forest-residential-schools-1.6121886

A Catholic priest has been banned by a Winnipeg archdiocese from speaking publicly after accusing residential school survivors of lying about sexual abuse to get more money from court settlements, of spreading falsehoods about residential schools, and joking about shooting those writing graffiti on churches, among other comments.

The statements were made over weeks of services at St. Emile Roman Catholic Church, and were included in videos on its Facebook page.

"If they wanted extra money, from the money that was given to them, they had to lie sometimes — lie that they were abused sexually and, oop, another $50,000," Forest said.

"It's kind of hard if you're poor not to lie," he continued, adding that all of the Indigenous people who he knew during his 22 years working up north liked residential schools.

Forest said he'd like to scare off vandals with a shotgun blast and shoot them if they didn't run away.

"As I'm passing by, thoughts of anger. If I had a shotgun at night and I'd see them, I'd go, 'Boom!' just to scare them and if they don't run away, I'll shoot them," Forest said in the July 18 sermon, laughing.

quote:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/residential-school-survivors-catholic-church-millions-1.6121678
The Roman Catholic Church spent millions of dollars that were supposed to go to residential school survivors on lawyers, administration, a private fundraising company and unapproved loans, according to documents obtained by CBC News.

The documents include a host of other revelations. They appear to contradict the Catholic Church's public claims about money paid to survivors.

"There are also a large number of serious accounting discrepancies that are alarming to Canada," states one document, a 53-page federal government "factum" summarizing the evidence in a 2015 court matter.

None of the other churches involved in the landmark Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement of 2005 — Anglican, United and Presbyterian — engaged in any of these practices. They all paid the full amounts agreed to years ago without incident.

Arson is bad. Do not do an arson. Recognize a situation where you can purse your lips grimly, and nod, and understand why someone ELSE might think it would be good to start some fires, but recognize that this is ultimately bad, and then resolve to not do bad things.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Speaking of Manitoba
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/rheal-forest-residential-schools-1.6121886

quote:

A Catholic priest has been banned by a Winnipeg archdiocese from speaking publicly after accusing residential school survivors of lying about sexual abuse to get more money from court settlements, of spreading falsehoods about residential schools, and joking about shooting those writing graffiti on churches, among other comments.

The statements were made over weeks of services at St. Emile Roman Catholic Church, and were included in videos on its Facebook page.

During a July 10 mass Father Rhéal Forest — who was temporarily placed at St. Emile while the parish's regular pastor, Father Gerry Sembrano, was on vacation — said residential school survivors lied about being sexually abused so they would receive more money during the settlement process with the federal government.

"If they wanted extra money, from the money that was given to them, they had to lie sometimes — lie that they were abused sexually and, oop, another $50,000," Forest said.

"It's kind of hard if you're poor not to lie," he continued, adding that all of the Indigenous people who he knew during his 22 years working up north liked residential schools.

Forest acknowledged that a few had bad treatment, but said some of that was due not to nuns and priests but rather night watchmen.

In its 2015 report, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission said there have been "over 40 successful convictions of former residential school staff members who sexually or physically abused students." As of Jan. 31 of that year, it said 37,951 claims for injuries resulting from physical and sexual abuse at residential schools had been received.

In another mass, Forest described passing by another local church that had been vandalized with the words "Save the children," a phrase used by Indigenous people and allies in reference to residential schools.

Forest said he'd like to scare off vandals with a shotgun blast and shoot them if they didn't run away.

"As I'm passing by, thoughts of anger. If I had a shotgun at night and I'd see them, I'd go, 'Boom!' just to scare them and if they don't run away, I'll shoot them," Forest said in the July 18 sermon, laughing.

He then quickly backtracked, saying: "But this would not help, it's bad to do that, I'd go have a chat with them." He went on to blame the media for making the vandals believe the Catholic Church killed residential school children.

CBC News has requested an interview with Forest. The Archdiocese of St. Boniface says it is considering the request.

Also Pallister hasn't made a public appearance since his "came here to build" comments, what, two weeks ago?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

It is a great day for catholicism, my interesting internet acquaintances.

Arson is bad. Do not do an arson. Recognize a situation where you can purse your lips grimly, and nod, and understand why someone ELSE might think it would be good to start some fires, but recognize that this is ultimately bad, and then resolve to not do bad things.

I mean, if you burn down the churches, then the Catholic Church will spend more money to repair or replace them and take it out of reconciliation money. They've already shown they'll use that money for everything else (that isn't reconcilliation).

Edit:

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Speaking of Manitoba

Also Pallister hasn't made a public appearance since his "came here to build" comments, what, two weeks ago?

He's just been busy punishing Ministers who spoke out against him.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 29, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/CANADALAND/status/1420732102677606401

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Honest question.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

God can Fallout Alberta just create some fictional warp portal and replace IRL alberta already

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I’m glad that the Alberta government is give a hearty gently caress you to all of us.

COVID-19 spreading faster in Alberta than during peak of 3rd wave

Canada's vaccination laggard: Alberta trails nation with slow uptake for 1st dose of COVID-19 vaccines

Oops!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It’s me. I’m the anti-Albertan force out to get the tar sands.

I wasn’t very successful and now all of BC is on fire. :sigh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The rest of Canada needs to isolate AB and SK at this point, to the point that it hurts the UCP/Saskatchewan party muppets and they're forced to reverse course. Also for y'all's own safety, obviously.

Kenney's gone full on loving nuts.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The costs decision for Ontario v. Working Families is finally published ie the campaign finance case that Doug Ford's government lost then overruled with the notwithstanding clause.

Final cost to the taxpayer of that legal challenge:

quote:

I agree with the overall scale of costs proposed by counsel for the Attorney General. In keeping with the way that the Applicants organized their participation and in comparing their respective bills of costs, I would divide the costs in the following way (all figures inclusive of fees, disbursements, and HST):

Working Families $250,000

OECTA $ 70,000

OSSTF $ 95,000

ETFO $ 85,000

Total: $500,000

[16] The Attorney General of Ontario shall pay costs in the total amount of $500,000 to the Applicants, to be divided among them as set out above.

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2021/2021onsc5178/2021onsc5178.html

I feel like this is a real damaging piece of government waste to Conservatives, spread it far and wide.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PT6A posted:

Kenney's gone full on loving nuts.

This implies that there was a period where he was normal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

McGavin posted:

This implies that there was a period where he was normal.

There was a time when he was just normal incompetent, like Boris Johnson or something. Now he's the first politician to restrict testing to this degree (not even the CHUDs in the States have done that) and as far as I know, AB and SK are the first jurisdictions in the world to not require people positive for COVID to isolate.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/jvipondmd/status/1420562172824883202

Stay Safe Calgary goons :ohdear:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Another Bill posted:

Stay Safe Calgary goons :ohdear:

No! :mad:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Honest question.

From what I understand it’s basically what anyone with a teaspoon of brain matter could have told you: yes, there are environmental activists opposing oil sands development and yes, that opposition has stopped development and “damaged” Alberta’s economy. These activists have even been receiving international funding like Kenney alleges. Amazingly, these activists are Canadians motivated by genuine ethical concerns about the environment and are not some secret hit squad on Alberta or its peoples.

So it’s a bunch of wasted money on an “inquiry” to find out what everyone already knew; just to assuage Kenney’s persecution complex. And Kenney will likely cherry-pick poo poo from it to justify his bullshit.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

B.C.'s south coast is under another heat warning, and with no rain since June 15th (!) things are starting to look grim for local ecosystems.

CBC News posted:

With no rain in parts of southern B.C. since June, salmon, crops struggle to survive

What was once a steady stream of cool, clear water had become a patch of shallow, muddy puddles.

Inside these remaining pools not far from the town of Squamish, B.C., three-month-old salmon the size of small french fries were struggling to survive. Its name — Swift Creek — belies its current state, with large sections having dried up due to drought.

Luckily, two members of the conservation group Squamish Streamkeepers Society came to the rescue.

At one end of a puddle only a few centimetres deep, Jack Cooley deployed a fine mesh net about two metres across. Another volunteer, Patrick MacNamara, started at the other, splashing the water to scare the fry into the net. 

"There's some wee tiny ones," MacNamara said, as the coho salmon darted out of his way.

Soon they were scooped up and placed into a bucket with clean water, complete with a battery-powered pump to keep it aerated.

Within a couple of weeks, and no rain expected, he said, this area would be completely dry.

"I think it's crucial, I do, otherwise they would just die," MacNamara said of the effort to capture the fish and move them somewhere safer.

Cooley used to be an avid recreational salmon fisher, but he now spends his time trying to keep wild fish alive in streams like this one.

"We got 1,000 today and 1,000 yesterday. We'll probably get 5,000 fish before we're finished."

The lack of rain since mid-June in the Vancouver region is breaking records and has led to steadily decreasing water levels in many parts of the province.

Spawning salmon are also at risk because warm water, coupled with low stream flows, can stress out the fish, leading to high mortality at a time when low numbers of salmon are expected to return to B.C.'s rivers.

The province's largest salmon river, the Fraser, is warmer than usual and has 27 per cent less water than normal, according to the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

On the other side of the province, in the West Kootenay region, the dust is flying at Matthew Carr's normally lush organic farm. It, too, is in a Level 4 drought, the second-highest danger level on B.C.'s drought scale.

"Our soil has become hydrophobic; it's very dusty, airy and light. It's very difficult to walk or pull carts through the field," he said.

Carr grows a mix of vegetables and small fruits in Krestova, in B.C.'s southeast. Even with irrigation, some crops have been scorched and discarded.

"It would be 15 to 20 per cent crop loss so far this year, especially in our lettuce — like we're up to one-third of our lettuce crop we've lost, and it's a big part of our income and cash flow."

Carr said other, heat-loving crops have been doing better, such as melons.

It's not unusual to have hot summers, he said, but this year has been unique because of the early start of the dry spell.

"We typically would see temperatures and conditions like this in August, but to see them in late June all the way through July was really unexpected. And I know a lot of other farmers had to go into triage mode just like we did."

Interviewed in an unusually dry Vancouver bog that's home to a diverse range of rare plants, Hans Schreier, a professor emeritus of land and water systems at the University of British Columbia, said the drought is just one of many unusual weather patterns around the world being driven by climate change.

"It's getting precarious, no question about it."

Schreier rattled off a recent list of climate disasters, including fires in western North America, floods in China and Europe, and water shortages in Iran that have sparked riots.

He said it's becoming increasingly difficult to predict weather because old, reliable patterns are breaking down.

"That's going to be the norm, and the thing is it's not going to be continuously increasing, it's going to be continuous variability — and it's those extremes which are really worrying."

Schreier said governments around the world have been very slow to adapt and prepare for those extremes.

Back in the woods near Squamish, streamkeeper Patrick MacNamara worked at completing the rescue of the salmon fry. They've been safely transported in a bucket to a new location on the Cheakamus River just a few minutes away, but with much deeper water and shade.

"There's food, it's clean water and lots of places to hide," MacNamara said as he waded into the water, where he slowly dumped out the bucket holding the fish.

"Here they come!" he exclaimed, before wishing them "bon voyage" as the fish darted out into their new home, safe for now from the ongoing drought.

I can't imagine that relocating salmon fry by hand is even remotely sustainable.

There is no rain in the two week forecast. Unfortunately I think things are only going to get worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

There was a time when he was just normal incompetent, like Boris Johnson or something. Now he's the first politician to restrict testing to this degree (not even the CHUDs in the States have done that) and as far as I know, AB and SK are the first jurisdictions in the world to not require people positive for COVID to isolate.

Kenney knows his political career is completely dead at this point and is fine with 2 more years of covid to distract while he smashes and grabs everything that's not nailed down.

He's so loving shameless, the day he's out of office he's going to announce he's joining the board of whatever private medical company he gifted the hospitals to.

e: JFC

https://twitter.com/ABFedLabour/status/1420068232216539139

They lowered the minimum wage for students from $14/hr to $13/hour after already lowering it from the $15/hour for everybody else, and attached a $500 fine to not telling your employer you're a student so you can receive the lower minumum wage.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 29, 2021