Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
eddie is smort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Randalor posted:

I'll check it out. Like I said, the original idea is very... basic in what I need (we're talking adaptingsomething made back in the 80's/90's at a 30mm size, so it's fairly light on fine details, to something that's about 6" tall), so I'm hoping that it'll be a good starting point for learning the program.

If you have an iPad or Mac and you aren't opposed to paying for something I use Shapr3D for things like you describe. The Free version is limited in that you don't have as many import/export options, but is otherwise open with access to all the tools. Should be able to use that for a while and see if you want to pay for it, or maybe just make 1 or 2 things. The free version only exports "low quality STLs", but that might be good enough for your use case.

https://www.shapr3d.com

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

so i'm now trying to see if printed solid will exchange this roll of transition PLA for me

blue: jessie transition PLA, 215/60
black: hatchbox black, 215/60

identical gcode, similarly stored filaments. I think i just got a dodgy roll and it's been causing issues.

at their suggestion i went up to 220 and it looks identical.

someone else here said the quality of their transitional PLA had dropped off, too? If I have to go back to hatchbox, i will, but i will grumble about the price.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 27, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'll check out discord tonight at some point, thanks!

Bucnasti posted:

The biggest advantage I've found to using Blender is that the community is huge. Anytime I need to know how to do something new, a quick google search will produce three videos, a redit post and a well documented wiki with detailed instructions.

Yeah I learned blender a.... A decade ago? Jesus. When Kerbal space program came out. I designed a pizza box with deployable pizza so you could deliver pizza orbit/suborbitally, along with a variety of fairly simple rocket things, most of rocketry is cylinders, which is a big reason for me to continue down that road, I think, but I'm realizing I've forgotten most of it at this point

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm having trouble finding a link to this discord server.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Deviant posted:

so i'm now trying to see if printed solid will exchange this roll of transition PLA for me

blue: jessie transition PLA, 215/60
black: hatchbox black, 215/60

identical gcode, similarly stored filaments. I think i just got a dodgy roll and it's been causing issues.

at their suggestion i went up to 220 and it looks identical.

someone else here said the quality of their transitional PLA had dropped off, too? If I have to go back to hatchbox, i will, but i will grumble about the price.

Check out Matterhackers Build PLA. You can get it pretty cheap buying in bulk and it's better than Hatchbox IMO.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

I just got a Prusa Mk3S+ and I’ve been having a great time. It was fun to assemble the kit and it is working perfectly, as far as I can tell.

I am trying to make a replacement wiffle bat handle. The idea is to extend the length of a standard Louisville Slugger C271 from 33.5” to 36”. The bat is hollow on the inside so the part I designed has a cylinder that fits in there that I plan to plastic epoxy in place.

I realized early on in printing it last night vertically that aligning the print layers with the forces applied while using the bat will make it very weak. I let the print finish anyway to check the dimensions. The handle fit in the bat nicely but it was ludicrously weak. The first test swing at maybe 10% game power immediately broke it where the small cylinder inserts into the bat.

I went back to the drawing board and split it in half so I can print it horizontally. I added holes and captive nut receptacles to connect the halves together. This orientation will also let me lengthen the cylinder that goes in the bat since I have more room in the X-axis than Y-axis. I am sure it will be stronger this way but is there any way it could be strong enough to work? I am pretty dismayed by the weakness of the last attempt. Once it is glued in the bat, I don’t think it will come back out, so I would prefer to get it right first. I have an idea to hollow out a spot in the middle to insert a wooden dowel rod to increase strength but I would prefer not to in order to keep weight down, if possible.

I am using PETG but I will consider other materials if they will work better. I am also not sure how many perimeters to set or infill % in the slicer, so I would welcome tips about that.

Here is what the broken test part looks like:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

I am using PETG but I will consider other materials if they will work better. I am also not sure how many perimeters to set or infill % in the slicer, so I would welcome tips about that.

Here is what the broken test part looks like:

No, even with PA-CF this will struggle to work. Printing it lengthwise might work, if you epoxy it back together. Bolts, you'll still get movement when swinging the bat and it'll feel like a wet noodle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, applying strong bending/shearing force across layer lines like that is the most effective way to break a 3D printed part. A handle for a screwdriver or something would be fine like that, but not a handle that experiences baseball bat style forces.

I would also suggest printing it in two semicircular halves flat on the bed, with some countersunk holes for nuts and bolts to hold them together. Use like 40% infill and 5 perimeters with 0.3mm layer height. Yeah you'll have some stairstepping on the shape, but call it grip texture.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Bolts, you'll still get movement when swinging the bat and it'll feel like a wet noodle.

I think he means bolting the two handle halves together, which would be fine as long as they're tight. I agree that they should be glued into the bat though.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, applying strong bending/shearing force across layer lines like that is the most effective way to break a 3D printed part. A handle for a screwdriver or something would be fine like that, but not a handle that experiences baseball bat style forces.

I would also suggest printing it in two semicircular halves flat on the bed, with some countersunk holes for nuts and bolts to hold them together. Use like 40% infill and 5 perimeters with 0.3mm layer height. Yeah you'll have some stairstepping on the shape, but call it grip texture.

I think he means bolting the two handle halves together, which would be fine as long as they're tight. I agree that they should be glued into the bat though.

Yes, that was what I meant. I figured I would expoxy the halves together and also use bolts. I would still epoxy the handle into the bat as originally intended.
Here is a picture of the redesigned part in prusaslicer.

Thanks for the print setting tips. Should I continue trying PETG or look at another material?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

Yes, that was what I meant. I figured I would expoxy the halves together and also use bolts. I would still epoxy the handle into the bat as originally intended.
Here is a picture of the redesigned part in prusaslicer.

Thanks for the print setting tips. Should I continue trying PETG or look at another material?

You're still very likely to get a break at the instep. I mean, you can try it, but I suspect it'll fail in short order.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Can you accept it not being perfectly flush with the bottom of the bat? If you can make that step a blended curve from the small diameter to the larger one, you'll have less stress concentration at that point. You'll have a little notch where the parts come together but maybe that doesn't matter.

Use the material you have and swing the bat and see if it's strong enough. If not, try something else. That's the biggest advantage of 3D printing -- the quick iteration through different designs. Next step up would be ABS, then probably a filled nylon.

Have you considered putting like an aluminum tube or wooden dowel through the center of the handle, relying on that for strength, and just using the plastic for ergonomics and fitment?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Dominoes posted:

Something to consider for those looking into OpenSCAD when comparing CAD programs: In terms of capabilities and productivity, it's not in the same league as programs like Fusion, Inventor, and SolidWorks. I took a snipe at FreeCAD earlier for its messy UI, but I'd recommend FreeCAD over OpenSCAD. You'll find working with practical designs frustrating and slow, and may hit roadblocks. This applies even to someone with a background in coding. I'm posting this because this isn't immediately obvious from articles comparing various CAD platforms.

Blender is outstanding, but it's more for creative designs. This might apply to a 3d print! If you're making a part, use a CAD program. If making something artistic, use Blender.

I had a dreadful experience with FreeCAD, culminating in when it crashed and corrupted the file of what I was working on. But I do make simple things. That being said...

Combat Pretzel posted:

OpenSCAD is something for simple procedural things. If you need to start addressing specific edges or vertices, be it for simple fillets or defining feature aligned planes, you're in a world of hurt. That is, if it's even possible to address specific part features in OpenSCAD. (Is it? I don't know.)

Do poo poo like this in OpenSCAD:

Yeah that is a prime example of something far beyond my reach. Not just skill level but software limitation. Maybe it is time to upgrade.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah sharp edges are classic crack propagation points, this is why airliners and boats have windows with rounded corners. Even adding a 1/4" radius to that 90° bend would add +20% strength

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i printed like this

i printed like that

i printed myself a wiffle ball bat

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think putting a fillet where the parts join would be easy enough. I could probably even carve the bat a bit to get it to fit nicely. The join point will end up under grip tape anyway so a small gap wouldn’t be a problem.

I mentioned the possibility of making a hollow spot in the middle for a dowel rod in my initial post but I was trying to do without in order to save weight.

3D printing is so cool. It feels like being able to make any part I imagine is unlocking previously dormant parts of my brain.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
attempting to print my first collapsing core for a metal-casting mold. i'm designing a lil cigarette case as a gift for someone- think an ornate cigar tube sort of deal- and if i cast it as a single cylinder like I want to vs. making two clamshell halves and welding them together, the inside cavity is a challenge- it's a long, narrow tube that's closed at one end, and because the inner diameter is what matters I can't just taper the core, the tube is long enough that a useful amount of draft can't be added.

anyways, collapsing cores! starting simple, just a two-piece assembly here. both should print upright on the bed with no issues

here's how it works- you withdraw the inner core, which is very slightly tapered to facilitate this, and as you do so the 'sleeve' 'petals' can flex inwards, deflecting past modest undercuts of the sort you can't normally locate at the bottom of a deep blind hole when designing a cast part. a smooth tube is pretty easy, threads are pretty easy, i think undercuts up to 10% of the hole diameter are possible with this design. i need to break out the dovetail cores if i wanna do massive 25%+ undercuts or whatever

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i know a sex robot penis when i see one buddy

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah “cigarette case” sure lol.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Ambrose Burnside posted:

attempting to print my first collapsing core for a metal-casting mold. i'm designing a lil cigarette case as a gift for someone- think an ornate cigar tube sort of deal- and if i cast it as a single cylinder like I want to vs. making two clamshell halves and welding them together, the inside cavity is a challenge- it's a long, narrow tube that's closed at one end, and because the inner diameter is what matters I can't just taper the core, the tube is long enough that a useful amount of draft can't be added.

anyways, collapsing cores! starting simple, just a two-piece assembly here. both should print upright on the bed with no issues

here's how it works- you withdraw the inner core, which is very slightly tapered to facilitate this, and as you do so the 'sleeve' 'petals' can flex inwards, deflecting past modest undercuts of the sort you can't normally locate at the bottom of a deep blind hole when designing a cast part. a smooth tube is pretty easy, threads are pretty easy, i think undercuts up to 10% of the hole diameter are possible with this design. i need to break out the dovetail cores if i wanna do massive 25%+ undercuts or whatever

Good choice on a flared base.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

hmm, printer in the picture isn't a Prusa

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

withak posted:

Yeah “cigarette case” sure lol.

once upon a time i used to manufacture sex toys, the current “anything involving penetration needs to be anodized” title for metalworking thread was from one of my posts. if that's what i was making i would be extremely loud about it b/c making toys rules

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 28, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ambrose Burnside posted:

, the inside cavity is a challenge- it's a long, narrow tube

Lmfao

April is an awfully long ways away

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
In case anyone else was looking into a wash & cure, the Elegoo Mercury 2 is currently a $20-off lightning deal on Amazon.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Neat design!

My own experience with printing dovetails(any material/process) has taught me to run the tolerances on the loose side to stop them from binding.

I had a client who wanted two parts with mating compound angle dovetails that would be used to establish a part location of plus/minus .002 inches. It was some kind of locating fixture for an atomic force microscope, and I nearly went crazy trying to get that damned thing to work.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

New version of Lychee dropped and it's nice. Seems a hell of a lot faster on Mac and the UI has been streamlined quite a bit. Cool new features like Supports that avoid the base and model look sweet.

It also claims to have support for the Epax E10 5k, which is supposed to only use the new Chitu slicer file format. I guess I'll have to go ahead and install the upgrade so I can see if it works.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Printed Solid's CS team has been stonewalling me on trying to exchange this roll of PLA I think is bad.

"Try at 235. Lower your nozzle"

dude, i've got a perfect print with other brands. just replace it.

i can no longer recommend them as a vendor.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Deviant posted:

Printed Solid's CS team has been stonewalling me on trying to exchange this roll of PLA I think is bad.

"Try at 235. Lower your nozzle"

dude, i've got a perfect print with other brands. just replace it.

i can no longer recommend them as a vendor.

Have you dried the filament?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The roll is basically brand new and it's been lifting on prints since I opened it.

I know of two other goons that are now having issues with their Jessie pla and I suspect something has changed or they sent out a bad run

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Deviant posted:

The roll is basically brand new and it's been lifting on prints since I opened it.

I know of two other goons that are now having issues with their Jessie pla and I suspect something has changed or they sent out a bad run

Could still be worth drying to see if it makes any difference? Maybe they had a humidity control issue during productions/packing or something? 🤷🏻‍♂️

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It doesn't matter how new the filament is or what desiccant it was packed with. That's all theater and should not be relied on for stuff that must print dry. Do it yourself.

That said, i don't see the problem with that filament. Unless I was missing something, the print looks fine?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Deviant posted:

It's probably just a bad roll.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

insta posted:

It doesn't matter how new the filament is or what desiccant it was packed with. That's all theater and should not be relied on for stuff that must print dry. Do it yourself.

That said, i don't see the problem with that filament. Unless I was missing something, the print looks fine?

The front feet keep lifting off the bed.

Rad-daddio posted:

It's probably just a bad roll.

i'm not even irritated about the roll, I'm irritated about printed Solid's piss poor customer service.

basically i just have to dehumanize myself and face to using a brim with my remaining PLA from them, though I guess I'll try drying it out.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 29, 2021

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

goddamnit I literally just ordered 3 rolls from them yesterday

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ghostnuke posted:

goddamnit I literally just ordered 3 rolls from them yesterday

they'll probably be fine. i probably just got a one-off or i'm doing something stupid.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I know this is a dumb question, but if it's just the front feet each time, and it's always happening in the same spot on the printbed, have you tried printing it elsewhere on the bed and seeing if it still happens? If it's a heated bed, maybe the front feet are just in a cooler/cold spot.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, I go through tons of extremely cheap, low-quality PLA (like 4kg+ per week sometimes) and I've honestly never experienced lift that I could blame on the spool and not some kind of bed/environmental issue.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Randalor posted:

I know this is a dumb question, but if it's just the front feet each time, and it's always happening in the same spot on the printbed, have you tried printing it elsewhere on the bed and seeing if it still happens? If it's a heated bed, maybe the front feet are just in a cooler/cold spot.

I've said most of this already but:

- It doesn't happen with hatchbox PLA.
- The bed has been cleaned repeatedly with dish soap
- It's dead center in the bed, so I don't see how it could be a cooler spot.
- It only happens with this roll of plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

With cheap pla I'd alter the gcode to ramp down the temp after the first few layers. Ain't perfect, but helps if you really can't do the raft for whatever reason