Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

i feel like they're also people that get to play forever. "oh this is a fast channel you won't be here long"

"bro i've been here two weeks"

"oh well i got through it in less than 6 days it shouldn't take that long"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Len posted:

the synergism discord "we don't need a wiki use the pins"
me "hey when should i start working on blessings? the pins say i'm going to need 3.5 mil of each one for the next step"
the discord "oh you don't need blessings until the next channel"
but that's literally what the pins you all hold so dear say i need?

Could always be like Ethereal Farm, and have both a wiki and a Discord with the fun catch that they appear to generally disagree with each other.

Haro_Wonderful
Feb 24, 2005

In the middle of a thread Haro forgot to post!
Pork Pro
I have been on a massive idle game kick lately ever since I rediscovered Kitten game was downloaded on my phone. I just really wish Kitten game had even a modest GUI to keep my interest when fiddling around before bed.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Len posted:

i feel like they're also people that get to play forever. "oh this is a fast channel you won't be here long"

"bro i've been here two weeks"

"oh well i got through it in less than 6 days it shouldn't take that long"

This channel is not a place of honor

No great deed or valuable information can be found here

The information found here is dangerous, and will be dangerous for a very long time

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Not really getting anywhere in Trimps.

When i recovered my old save i was in zone 320. Now after a week of farming helium, tripling my helium to almost 1 trillion, 320 is still my max zone. Not really sure how i got there as most runs taper off at 309 where progress grinds to a halt.
I also have absolutely no chance at doing Spire II, despite following guides. I manage to clear like 20 zones before 10 dudes are dead.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In Legends of Idleon

how do i get to the next area? ive got lvl 50 characters (admittedly i dont really do the quests because that isnt idleing)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Have you killed the boss of world 1?

You need to go to the forest mini town and talk to the ghost in there, then finish that quest I think.

And you def have to idle for some of the quests. I'm looking at you party procrastination time devices things

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Who is the boss? that house thing?no

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Meskhenet posted:

Who is the boss? that house thing?no

Amarok, a big wolf golem thing

You have to go to the zone with the wooden plank monsters and finish the dog bone quest to get keys to unlock his room and kill him

P.s. I've been taking a break while world 3 gets some more content so apologies for anyone who has been requesting invites to pizza is free, if anyone in here is active in the guild let me know and I'll promote you so you can accept invites?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

postmodifier posted:

Amarok, a big wolf golem thing

You have to go to the zone with the wooden plank monsters and finish the dog bone quest to get keys to unlock his room and kill him

P.s. I've been taking a break while world 3 gets some more content so apologies for anyone who has been requesting invites to pizza is free, if anyone in here is active in the guild let me know and I'll promote you so you can accept invites?

cool. i will look into that tomorrow

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

Sivart13 posted:

I'm halfway to w5x10-max in Synergism, and it's been somewhat of a throwback to being a 7 year old who doesn't really understand video games yet trying to nurse a GameFAQ to get to the end of #<insert_JRPG_here>.

a very peculiar subculture this is, to have collaboratively tried to cram a walkthrough for a not-quite-scrutable game into a chat room

I just finished c14, loaded up the FAQ for the next section, stared, and did the Seinfeld hands-up-leave-theater-gif thing. Think I'll look for a new one. I kind of like the initial straightforward building up of stats parts of the games, not so much the esoteric endgames.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

GrossMurpel posted:

https://mrredshark77.github.io/Electrical-Incremental/
Disclaimer: Didn't play it for more than an hour or so, might be poo poo

I've hit a major speedbump where I'm just waiting for a 10th point in Plasma, with no possible upgrades or resets, and no hint as to whether I'm already at endgame or if this point will unlock something new. I need 3.8e27 cations and am gaining them at a rate of 4.4e22/sec.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Haro_Wonderful posted:

I have been on a massive idle game kick lately ever since I rediscovered Kitten game was downloaded on my phone. I just really wish Kitten game had even a modest GUI to keep my interest when fiddling around before bed.

For mobile idle games, I've found that Wizard and Minion Idle has a pretty good interface. Which is wild, because the PC interface is garbage. Guess when they decided to do mobile they updated the menus and visuals and then just...didn't update the PC version to go along with it.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Is there anything new to open up in Synergism beyond ants? Or do you just joylessly grind out challenges until all the numbers fill up?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mdxi posted:

Is there anything new to open up in Synergism beyond ants? Or do you just joylessly grind out challenges until all the numbers fill up?

There's so so much more.

Corruptions, cubes, did I mention the cubes? We're up to 7th dimensional cubes now. There's only 10 in string theory so nearing the end of the gimmick.

oh and corruptions are complicated enough that trying to figure out the optimal path yourself is probably days of work and when most people finally cave and check out the discord. Corruptions being set correctly is extremely critical, early on you are trying to figure out a good balance and no one can really explain what half of them do because part way through over half of them stop mattering and you just run them at cap all the time (which makes it much much easier to start playing with yourself)

I'd seriously use a guide for early corruption stuff it's poorly explained in game and doesn't matter if you understand it or not for late game.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 27, 2021

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Red Minjo posted:

I've hit a major speedbump where I'm just waiting for a 10th point in Plasma, with no possible upgrades or resets, and no hint as to whether I'm already at endgame or if this point will unlock something new. I need 3.8e27 cations and am gaining them at a rate of 4.4e22/sec.

that's where I'm at too. there's a good game here but it's kinda clunkily implemented

also hehe he said playing with yourself

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pixaal posted:

(which makes it much much easier to start playing with yourself)

:q:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

postmodifier posted:

I just left a guild and applied as Thanatosian, if you can accept me and let me accept others that would be great. Thank you.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Nietzsche posted:

I just finished c14, loaded up the FAQ for the next section, stared, and did the Seinfeld hands-up-leave-theater-gif thing. Think I'll look for a new one. I kind of like the initial straightforward building up of stats parts of the games, not so much the esoteric endgames.
that seems like a good place to bail

I'm almost done with w5x10-max and as far as I can tell the rest of the game is just the same flavor of setting up very specific hours-long runs to buy the next thing which lets you set up slightly different hours-long runs

but someone who has gotten further than me could confirm/deny

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

much like trimps and ngu i can deal with slow burn long games such as synergism

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Aurora posted:

much like trimps and ngu i can deal with slow burn long games such as synergism

I think the problem most folks have with it is you can't derp your way through it. I just finished ngu and I never felt like I needed guidance where time would do instead

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Red Minjo posted:

update: there was nothing waiting at 10 Plasma. I guess it must be current endgame, because there's no way they want me to wait nearly 200x as long as the full day spent getting to a round number like 10 to instead have progress be at a number like 11.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Feline Mind Meld posted:

I think the problem most folks have with it is you can't derp your way through it. I just finished ngu and I never felt like I needed guidance where time would do instead

Yeah it's this. The only thing I've needed to look up in the last few months of progress in NGU is what Adv stats I need for various zones. And that's really just so I don't need to try every rebirth. So it really only saves me a couple seconds per day. In no way is it necessary for progression.

And then I look at something like Synergism or Realm Grinder and there are whole wiki pages dedicated to the build order for just one achievement/challenge.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

SporkChan posted:

Yeah it's this. The only thing I've needed to look up in the last few months of progress in NGU is what Adv stats I need for various zones. And that's really just so I don't need to try every rebirth. So it really only saves me a couple seconds per day. In no way is it necessary for progression.

And then I look at something like Synergism or Realm Grinder and there are whole wiki pages dedicated to the build order for just one achievement/challenge.

I feel like as long as you are not worried about being as absolutely optimized as possible then Synergism is pretty straight forward. There is really only one or two things to be working towards at any given time and if you are ever not sure what to do to progress you can just look at the achievements and see which ones unlock new features and work on those. It’s pretty linear in its progression.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SporkChan posted:

The only thing I've needed to look up in the last few months of progress in NGU is what Adv stats I need for various zones.

I'm pretty sure the game tells you in a tooltip if you hover over the zone name. Tooltips have so much random useful information in NGU it is insane. I wish more games did it or had an in game wiki or even a link to an external wiki that documented even half the features.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Sivart13 posted:

that seems like a good place to bail

I'm almost done with w5x10-max and as far as I can tell the rest of the game is just the same flavor of setting up very specific hours-long runs to buy the next thing which lets you set up slightly different hours-long runs

but someone who has gotten further than me could confirm/deny

Confirm. At some points even the 12-24hr runs don’t get you any meaningful upgrades, and you have to save for days to get the next big thing.

I’m at one of those now, getting 2-3e9 hypercubes per day and the next goal needs 2e10. And when I get there, my numbers will go up, I’ll change some corruptions, and go for the next one.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nibble posted:

Confirm. At some points even the 12-24hr runs don’t get you any meaningful upgrades, and you have to save for days to get the next big thing.

I’m at one of those now, getting 2-3e9 hypercubes per day and the next goal needs 2e10. And when I get there, my numbers will go up, I’ll change some corruptions, and go for the next one.

Double that. It gets worse the further into platonic cubes you go, and there's no feedback on corruption setup for an hour at least. So not only does it take a long time to even see if you've picked a good set up, even if you do it starts moving slowly. The last big update made it faster to pick up cubes, but not enough to deal with the issues with corruptions.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

pixaal posted:

I'm pretty sure the game tells you in a tooltip if you hover over the zone name. Tooltips have so much random useful information in NGU it is insane. I wish more games did it or had an in game wiki or even a link to an external wiki that documented even half the features.

the wtf do i do section of ngu is amazing and i don't know how the gently caress games get away with not having documentation in them.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Evolve Idle is another one with an extensive wiki that makes everything so much better for tracking and not getting lost. The integration between it and the game itself is impressive.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There any good guides for WAMI out there? I am trying it again and kinda getting into it this time but I'm still pretty iffy on a lot of the mechanics.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Nibble posted:

Jhet posted:

Double that. It gets worse the further into platonic cubes you go, and there's no feedback on corruption setup for an hour at least.
y'all really making me feel like I should close the Synergism tab and move on with my life

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

explosivo posted:

There any good guides for WAMI out there? I am trying it again and kinda getting into it this time but I'm still pretty iffy on a lot of the mechanics.

I'm not sure, personally. Havent seen any super good guides. Mostly I've just been using the wiki/discord. Haven't encountered anything too crazy, just had to ask a few questions here and there.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 29, 2021

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sivart13 posted:

y'all really making me feel like I should close the Synergism tab and move on with my life

I've been playing Synergism for a while, and have never used a guide and it's been just fine. It's not that hard to figure out if you put a little time into investigating for yourself how the different mechanics work.

I'm sure if I went into the Discord and looked at the pins I'd find something more "optimal," but that's not a very fun way to play games so I don't do that. The existence of that kind of stuff doesn't mean it's required to progress. I'm happy with my rate of progress. I'm happier still when I figure something out.

I'm up to just before beta level. It's been a fun little puzzle box to figure out, and it's been very rewarding.

In terms of time investment I find it to be one of the more respectful idles. It's usually best to reset once a day, but if you don't do that it's not a huge deal. Also, if you do have more time to fiddle with it you can offen find ways to increase efficiency.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 29, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arzaac posted:

I'm not sure, personally. Havent seen any super good guides. Mostly I've just been using the wiki/discord. Haven't encountered anything too crazy, just had to ask a few questions here and there.

Thanks, I found some info that helped, for the most part it's just understanding what all the UI elements mean and how some of the systems work. I'm really getting into this now that I'm past that initial hump of "what the hell is all of this"

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

My take on Synergism is that I found it fun when progress was intuitive (up through ants and their surrounding research, more or less).

When ascensions, cubes, and especially corruptions (and especially that one corruption that slows down time so it takes much longer in real time for things to hit softcap/hardcap so you can see how they're gonna go) came into the picture, it became less of an immediately-intuitive thing. Instead, it became more of a "try a few options in different tabs and see what works" or "put more effort [than I'd personally care to] into learning the underlying math, to theorycraft".

That was, not coincidentally, when I fell off the game.

I ran into the same thing with games like Prestige Tree (Classic) and Distance Idle (more recently) or Realm Grinder (back in the day), and fell off of them for similar reasons. I will grant that Prestige Tree (Rewritten) is much better about that, due in no small part to the in-game guides, though it's still a little problematic at points.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Realm grinder just irritated me because you basically made no/awful progress unless you knew exactly what researches or whatever to pop into.

Early on it wasn't a big deal, since I figured out enough of the good routes to go on my own, but then after the first ascension or whatever the reset is called, it became a slog.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I decided to export my WAMI save onto the steam version to save my phone battery and it's really loving me up how different the UI's are between the two versions of the game. This game does rule though. There are lots of numbers and they all go up :hmmyes:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mine Defense is still the best imo

I just finished c14 in Synergism which means I move to a new discord channel with new pins to read. I'm immediately told by the channel that the very first pinned guide is misleading.

But yeah it's at a point where doing things feels obtuse and overly complicated. Not to the level of Sandcastle Builder which I still haven't bothered to play, but more than I would prefer.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Len posted:

Mine Defense is still the best imo

I just finished c14 in Synergism which means I move to a new discord channel with new pins to read. I'm immediately told by the channel that the very first pinned guide is misleading.

But yeah it's at a point where doing things feels obtuse and overly complicated. Not to the level of Sandcastle Builder which I still haven't bothered to play, but more than I would prefer.

I thought it was pretty straight forward. There are two types of runs you are doing. One to build up your blessings and spirits and offerings to max your research. And when progress in that slows down you switch over to runs for Cubes and work on the tributes and Cube research. When one run slows you switch to the other for a bit as the bonuses feed into each other. When Cube progress slows down start slowly adding corruptions. Do this until you max the final research for both offerings and Cubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Vil posted:

My take on Synergism is that I found it fun when progress was intuitive (up through ants and their surrounding research, more or less).

When ascensions, cubes, and especially corruptions (and especially that one corruption that slows down time so it takes much longer in real time for things to hit softcap/hardcap so you can see how they're gonna go) came into the picture, it became less of an immediately-intuitive thing. Instead, it became more of a "try a few options in different tabs and see what works" or "put more effort [than I'd personally care to] into learning the underlying math, to theorycraft".

That was, not coincidentally, when I fell off the game.

I ran into the same thing with games like Prestige Tree (Classic) and Distance Idle (more recently) or Realm Grinder (back in the day), and fell off of them for similar reasons. I will grant that Prestige Tree (Rewritten) is much better about that, due in no small part to the in-game guides, though it's still a little problematic at points.

I'm not going to argue that anyone should like something they already know they don't like, but I would like to quibble with the idea that corruptions in Synergism are unintuitive. Every corruption option raises the number of some other existing feature in the game to an exponent that's less than zero in exchange for multiplying your score. All of this information is displayed very clearly on the corruptions screen, and all the systems it's modifying are ones you've been using for the past few weeks or months. If you're unsure what kind of impact a corruption will have you can just run a small test to get a feel for it. The game also supports manual save/load so you can run multiple tests in parallel if you want.

I know this is a very :goonsay: kind of quibble, but unintuitive to me would mean that something behaves not logically in a way that makes it impossible to figure out on your own. Synergism just isn't that way. You can figure every piece of it out on your own. It's extremely logical. You can't just kind of bumble through it, though. It takes a little bit of work to make the numbers go up. So rather than "unintuitive," I think what you mean is just that it's hard and requires more attention than you want to give it.

Personally, I enjoy that kind of game a lot more than a lot of other idles that get recommended in this thread. I didn't realize that for a long time, and so I think I'm going to actually start playing more like the ones in your list that are specifically recommended against.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 29, 2021